Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planning Forum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
brant
your right abey...
its weird thou... its not like we are that close... but I do respect the guy... I think when I place my shirt order, I'll get him one.

brant
VegasRacer
When this site was off line today I noticed that Brant got us the #1 nailed thread in the 914 BBS at Pelican. WooHoo. I also saw that Brian Minson, the editor from 9 Magazine offered to help with the event. Brant, can you please follow up on this offer to see what they are willing to do. The free subscription idea is a good start. If we could get a page or two in the magazine, that would be way cool.

Can we offer Brian free registration if he wants to come to the RRC?
Same for Dave if he can be talked in to attending.
Jeroen
Pelican and GPR are up on the sponsor page...
VegasRacer
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Jul 21 2005, 03:51 PM)
I also saw that Brian Minson, the editor from 9 Magazine offered to help with the event.
Brant, can you please follow up on this offer to see what they are willing to do.

idea.gif
brant
John,

I pm'd him on friday with no response (9magazine guy)
I'll give it another day or so and try again.

brant
brant
update..
I sent 9 magazine multiple contacts and just heard back 10 minutes ago.

Here is his email:

Brant,
Yes I want to come! Bring some free sample issues, and maybe a few of our
CD-ROM"s to give away as door prizes!

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
http://www.9magazine.com
-----------------------------------------

I don't want to sound cold here, but let me spew my thoughts to you all. I had asked him previously about possibly sponsoring or door prizes. and on pelican I was trying to entice him about coming too. But frankly, I'm not so thrilled with his "sponsorship" in that I don't feel like with should reduce his entry fee. I say this based upon other offers from other sponsors. For example Eric has offered a set of calipers worth hundreds of dollars, but were not giving him free attendance.

so I'm open to ideas from the group, but If it were up to me I think I would tell Brian that we would love to have him. Would love to add him to the sponsorship list. But that he will need to register/pay like everyone else.

Since the attendance is low and slow, I don't think we will have much of a charity donation if we tap into the registration money for extras.

what do others think?
brant
BMartin914
I'm inclined to agree with you brant. If we start waiving the entry fees then the money for the dinners and lunch is going to have to come from somewhere and that will start eating up any surplus pretty quick.

I noticed that this guy said that 9 Magazine is located in the "4 Corners Area." Do you know where? Would he be driving in from like the Durango/Farmington area? Just curious.
VegasRacer
agree.gif If he said that he would give free subscription to everyone and / or promised us coverage in the magazine that would be a different story.
TROJANMAN
i think registration should be waived for children. their parents should be able to purchase a separate meal for them at dinner. (kid's meals are usually cheaper)
BMartin914
What constitues a child?
TROJANMAN
1o (sometimes 12) and under

or anyone young enough to order from a kid's menu.
Eric_Shea
What constitues a child?

Here in UT? Those ages constitute a "bride"! laugh.gif laugh.gif lol3.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jul 27 2005, 12:33 PM)
What constitues a child?

Here in UT? Those ages constitute a "bride"! laugh.gif laugh.gif lol3.gif

ya, and 3 sisters could have the same husband biggrin.gif
brant
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jul 27 2005, 10:29 AM)
i think registration should be waived for children. their parents should be able to purchase a separate meal for them at dinner. (kid's meals are usually cheaper)

Greg,

I think thats a good Idea.
lets just tell people that if they want to bring a child 12 and under they will be responsible for the food seperately for that child.

Eric...
I'm a mandated reporter so we can't start talking about that ok...
just kiddin

brant
BMartin914
REGISTRATION PACKETS

When do we need to have everything for the registration packets together?

Who will be sending them out?

I am contemplating printing like 60(?) maps this weekend and then sending them out to whomever for construction of the packet.

This had just crossed my mind so I thought I'd throw it out there.
brant
Ben,

so unless people care otherwise...
I thought I would put together the packets

My plan was to fully assemble them but not mail them out previously... Deliver to registrants the day of.
Since ferg and greg might be going up the day before, I thought I would send a box of pre-made packets up with them.

Then if I come up with the colorado caravan 2hours into the first tour, people won't have to wait to get their packets.

what else should be included?
I was thinking to use John's playing card Idea as raffle tickets/door prizes and include one "ticket" for each paid registrant (not kids if they get in free)

Then also include your map.
and contact sheet with emergency numbers or what not.

If we have voting for the car show, we could include ballots... or just hand out ballots the day of the show so people don't loose them... either way.

what am I forgetting?

so I guess get the maps to me and I'll buy the envelopes and cards and then stuff them

brant

BMartin914
I would think that this should be the next thing to tackle. I think that the map, contact info., playing cards is a good idea as well as ballots.

It almost seems like that about covers it. I can do contact info sheets and ballots if I can get all of that info soon. I will put it all together (maps, ballots, contact) and get it up to you sometime in the next 2 weeks. That should provide plenty of time for assembly, etc.
VegasRacer
I think handing out the registration packets on Friday morning is best (providing that someone from Colorado is comming down soon enough). Mailing them is an unnecessary expense. I can not think of anything else that needs to be added, unless one or more of the sponsors has something to include.

Are we going to have people vote on all of the Car Show Categories or just 'Best of Show'? Do we have final confirmation from Joe (914RS) on exactly what the awards classes will be?

Would it be a good idea to post the maps on the main registration thread so people can see the routes and print a copy if they want? What about telling them what the car show classes are or should that be a surprise?
BMartin914
My $.02

I don't know if the map will post to the thread and be printable. In .pdf form the quality sucks. Printed out of acrobat it is nearlt illegible.

I will output it from Quark XPress and it will have very crisp quality.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (brant @ Jul 27 2005, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jul 27 2005, 10:29 AM)
i think registration should be waived for children.  their parents should be able to purchase a separate meal for them at dinner.  (kid's meals are usually cheaper)

Greg,

I think thats a good Idea.
lets just tell people that if they want to bring a child 12 and under they will be responsible for the food seperately for that child.

brant

does someone want to post this on the REGISTRATION thread? it probably needs a bump anyway.

and somebody bump my beer thread too. i feel funny bumping my own thread.
brant
Greg

if no one speaks up then I'll bump the threads tomorrow and mention the children part...

anyone see a problem with the children free part?

so registration packets seem to have consensus mostly.
regarding emergency contacts: what do we need

-hotel
-a cell number (which may or may not work)
-each restaraunt

what else?

brant
VegasRacer
Has anybody heard anything from Brian Minson at 9magazine?
BTW - I just checked their web site and it is dead.
brant
nope...

the last contact I had was a month ago where I told him that we couldn't comp any sponsors due to trying to save more money for charity... but of course I told him we would still really like to have him come to the event.

but no reply.
brant
Jeroen
QUOTE (brant @ Aug 18 2005, 04:08 PM)
but no reply

how surprising laugh.gif
BMartin914
I see that Xitspd is donating prize items to the FFC and another get-together. Did he happen to donate anything for the raffle drawing at the RRC? Just curious.
Jeroen
hey guys...

I just kicked off the MUSR counter from the top of the page and replaced it with a RRC countdown

May be harsh, but the way I see it, the MUSR is not a 914world.com event and the RRC can use some extra exposure to lure in more registrants...

Hope it helps
BMartin914
We need all the help we can get Jeroen. Exactly a month 'til the RRC and only 20 something registrants.

On another note...when should we have the materials ready to go for the packets? When is the final registration deadline?
brant
I think earlier we talked about the registration deadline falsely being around the same as the hotel deadline.

since its practically september what deadline do you really think we have to have?

I think the restaurants are the monday before ?

so probably roughly the 16th or the 18th would be the absolute last chance to add a name into the restaurant reservation.

packet wise, how about we put them together in the first week or two of september.

I'll put them together happily... I just meant the printed maps in the first week or two.

brant
BMartin914
Sonds good. Are we still planning to put together a contact # sheet and I believe there was something else.

I guess I should look back through this thread.
brant
Hi everyone...
couple of details.

1) our latest registrant is a moab local and has offered to help if we need....

I can't think of anything at this point, but told him we will surely forget something and were very in-debted for the offer. Also, he might have a spare bedroom available from the way he talked. (more in a minute)

finally here is his email and we may have mislabed the route according to him. Here it is:

"Happy to help with any local organizing and guiding. Have been in Moab 22 years.
Also have several guest rooms and a big driveway. Office phone is 435-259-2118
and home phone is 435-259-1910. Regarding the schedule, you may have a name mix
up for the Sunday drive as the \\\\\\\"Canyonlands Overlook\\\\\\\" is 4-wheel
drive high clearance. Are you thinking Needles Overlook in Canyonlands
Recreation Area? Just learned about this today from a 914 friend in Price Utah."

#2 lodging. Ferguson called arches to get a room and talked with someone rude. (a man not the woman) The rude person claimed that they are out of our rooms.
Don't fully know if this is accurate, but thought I would mention it. People can always get a different hotel if they haven't already gotten their room. I didn't want to cause a panic yet, so I didn't post it on the registration thread.

#3 Ben, I think I should start putting the packets together. Is it still possible to print the maps? If we have a lunch this week, is there any chance I can grab them from you?

4# last thing I promise.... I know we discussed earlier in the thread about setting a registration deadline. And we thought of using a false one to give us a tiny bit of wiggle room... What false one should we use?
how about we put this out...
I'll use it to try and motivate the colorado slackers too.

How about labor day 9/5 is the deadline.
that way we can always sneak an extra person in during the following week or so.

how about it?

brant
Jeroen
QUOTE (brant @ Aug 30 2005, 09:28 PM)
#2 lodging.  Ferguson called arches to get a room and talked with someone rude.  (a man not the woman)  The rude person claimed that they are out of our rooms.
Don't fully know if this is accurate, but thought  I would mention it.  People can always get a different hotel if they haven't already gotten their room.  I didn't want to cause a panic yet, so I didn't post it on the registration thread.

errrr... the hotel info page clearly sayz...
If you have any trouble making your reservations, ask for Tiffany or Kyra!

did he?
BMartin914
Give me a number for the maps and I will do it. Hopefully lunch will work out and I can make the hand off.
VegasRacer
The name 'Canyonlands Overlook' was first used in one of the very early planning post. The term was simply carried forward. If you check the maps and the highlighted route for our drive on Sunday you will see that it is in fact 'Needles Overlook' (of the Canyonlands National Park) that is our destination. Sorry for the confusion.

I will make a call to my friendly contact at The Aarchway Inn tomorrow to check on the rooms. As I posted before - the deadline for our blocked rooms was the 25th of August. I will confirm who from our group is registered and what the hotel may still have availible.
brant
John,
thanks for the post on the thread.
I think we can get people off of the fence in the next day or two.

Jeroen,
your right I don't think ferg asked for the correct people.

Also, can I ask another favor Jeroen?
sean is going to print us up some stickers and asked if you had a file of the logo..

here is his email word for word: "Let me know how many registrants you have/expect. I'll probably send over a couple of black hats and a half dozen or so of the blems. Also, if you could have Jeroen send me the eps or ai file of the RRC logo I can cut some single color stickers (in red?) for the attendees.
-sean
---------------------------------

any chance you could email a file to him?
I've been using this address:

sean@moronthrottle.com

thanks all!
brant
VegasRacer
Here is the best info I have on who is registered and who has booked a room.

Registered and Room Booked
Ernie DeVries - room 125
Mike Ginter - room 118
Linda, Joe, Toast - room 119
Ben Martin - room 123
Brant, Ferg - room 111
John Peterson - room 121
Michael Wills - room 109

Registered NO room booked
Jim Buchanan
Ron Diedenischen
Joe O'Brien
Greg Silva
Kelly Thorson
Russell Von Koch (Moab resident)

I do not have any information on who has paid.
brant
John, here is my list

PAID:
----------------------------
John Peterson (70) goflyakite@cox.net VegasRacer, paid 7/15 paypal

Michael Wills (70) michaelwills@cox.net MW 914, paid 7/26 paypal

James Buchanan (140) Seismo@utah-inter.net Stratplayer, Paid 7/19 paypal

Ernie DeVries ( 70) klompen@npgcable.com ThinAir914, paid by check 8/9

Kelly Thorson (140) echocanyons@thorsonthunder.com echocanyons, Paid 7/22 check

Brant McClung (140) brant914@hotmail.com Brant, paid 8/1

Linda Horne (210) pez3645@aol.com /L, paid by check 8/2

Mike Ginter (140) gint@914world.com Gint, Paid 8/1 paypal

Committed and should be counted, but not paid:
---------------------------------------
Joe O’Brien (140) jfoiv@cableone.net 914RS, not paid

greg silva (70) gsilva@afg-co.com trojanman, not paid

Benjamin Martin (140) benjamin.martin@comcast.net BMartin914, not paid

Mike Ferguson (70) mikeferg75@hotmail.com Ferg, not paid

Not likely or unknown (the moab resident sounds likely but I've only known him for 2 days now and can't guarantee him)
--------------------------------

Ron Diederichsen (70) rondiederichsen@yahoo.com RonD, not paid

Joe Sharp (70) iamjoesharp@hotmail.com Joe Sharp, not paid

Russell von Koch (70) moabdallas@yahoo.com, not paid

I did have a conversation with Ron and I think he will be out. I'm really pushing one more guy from Wyoming so we will see if he joins. Right now I'm fully confident that we should include Ben and Joe and Ferg

also I didn't get a registration from Eric, so we need to include him too. I'm pretty sure he is coming or else I'll drag him.

so my best guess is: 22
(hmmm for some reason I earlier counted 23... who am I missing?)

brant
BMartin914
Brant,

I am DEFINITELY in. I have my registration fees ready to go and will bring them to the lunch tomorrow, so count me in. No maybes here! smile.gif
brant
Ben,

I knew you were in..
heck I'd drag you if you weren't coming.
brant
VegasRacer
QUOTE (brant @ Aug 31 2005, 03:14 PM)
so my best guess is: 22
(hmmm for some reason I earlier counted 23... who am I missing?)

The one you may be missing is Toast. mgw.gif

Linda Horne paid the registration fee for 3 people. That would be to cover everyone who is comming from Calif. Joe Sharp, Toast and Linda.
BMartin914
So this seems to be it. We may have a couple more coloradoans on the fence, maybe a couple wyomians (?) but who knows at this point.

Once the final tally is concrete, I will contact the restaurants with final numbers and confirm our dates.
VegasRacer
I am still working on Steve here in Vegas and Danna from Wyoming. slap.gif
Both of them say they would like to attend but can not commit just yet.
brant
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Sep 1 2005, 10:21 AM)
I am still working on Steve here in Vegas and Danna from Wyoming. slap.gif
Both of them say they would like to attend but can not commit just yet.

good deal..

I'm working on John Lush and Ron (boulder) too.

so hopefully we pick up 2-4 more.

Ben how about we give it next week and then confirm around the 9th?

is that too late?

also the new guy from Moab sharred this with me:

Looking forward to seeing you Friday afternoon of the event. FYI, I have learned that the Utah Department of Transportation will be beginning an improvement project on highway 128 on or about September 12. The project site is located 3 miles upstream (east) from the US 191/ UT 128 junction. We can expect a short delay with flaggers and one-way traffic related to a trailhead access improvement project that UDOT and BLM are funding. The project will result in a short delay for the LaSal Mountain Loop tour section of the event and probably a 200 yard stretch of bumpy road.
>

it doesn't sound bad at all and won't affect us, but wanted to let everyone know.

brant

BMartin914
Sounds good to me.

The Moab Brewery needs 3 days notice (would like to give them a wekk though) and it would be good to geive the red cliffs lodge a week's notice too.

I hope some of these other people can make it. Would be nice to meet as many new faces as possible.

brant
the moab guy... (I've got to start using his name, Russell)

anyways Russell sent this email about some activity Ideas for the friday.

John,
I'm open minded either way.
sounds like we might have extra time and since Russell works for the bureau of land management he probably would know. I don't care either way if there are any detours or stops added... just wanted to share that this was out there:
-----------------
For the Friday afternoon drive, we will have about 5
hours to do the LaSal Mtn Loop road before dinner at
Red Cliffs Lodge. Depending upon time for photos,
etc., and whether or not folks want to go back into
Moab before going to dinner, several driving
extensions are possible.

The first would be to take an out and back (12 minutes
each way) drive up a steep curvy section of the
Castleton-Gateway Road above Castle Valley to a stop
with a great view over Fisher Valley and the canyons
of the Dolores River. At this point we can also take a
40 yard walk to the rim to see some large dinosaur
tracks.

A second option would be to follow the Loop Road down
Castle Valley to Hwy 128 and drive up Highway 128 to
the historic suspension bridge at the old townsite of
Dewey (mile point 30). This section goes through the
very scenic Richardson Amphitheater, has good views of
the Fisher Towers (tallest free-standing spire in the
US) and lots of curvy, narrow road. We could then
retrace our route and head into the lodge.

Just some possibilities. Russ aka Moab914

VegasRacer
Either or both of those options sound good for the Friday drive. It is great to have a local to act as our tour guide.
brant
another update.

Ben when you do the food phone calls, I'll be out of town so check here:

Unfortunately a few people haven't paid, maybe I'm being naive, but I think they are all good for it.

here is my edited list:

PAID : 19 people
-----------
-John Peterson
-Michael Wills
-James Buchanan + 1 guest
-Ernie DeVries
-Brant McClung + 1 guest
-Linda Horne + toast and + joe (3 people)
-Benjamin Martin + 1 guest
-Mike Ginter + 1 guest
-Waide Stockhill
-Steve Hill
-Eric Shea + 1 guest (+ 2 children)
--John Lush

Not PAID but committed and coming: 10 people
----------------------------
-Mike Ferguson (sharing my room)
-Joe O’Brien + 1 guest
-greg silva + 1 guest
-Jeff Steele (bringing cash)
-John Lush's girl friend
-Melba's mom (Carol Davis) is coming to meet her.
-Russell von Koch (our moab local that sent me a check made out to 914 club and is going to give me cash when we arrive)
-Ron Diedrichsen (boulder)
----------------------------------------

So there are my numbers.
I'm counting 29

(9/22/05)

brant
brant
If this works... here is our sponsor sheets for the packets: (if the pictures don't paste... there is a small logo/picture/or avatar next to each one. And No I haven't receivd all of the items yet.. but I have bugged each of the sponsors and intend to bug them again next week
---------------------
The Organizers of the RRC would like to especially thank our sponsors who donated wonderful door prizes and made this event possible:

Eric Shea: ericscottshea@cs.com

Craig Laughlin: www.camp914.com

Heidi and James: 914 Appearance and Performance

Rich Johnson: a914guy@aol.com
1923 Prescott Road
Allen, Texas 75002
(972) 398-9146

Sean Lee: sean@moronthrottle.com

Travis Neff : the master cylinder brace guru

Mike Zois(No Bad Days Graphics): www.nbdgraphics.com

Pelican Products: Pelicanparts.com

James Adams: http://www.jwesteng.com/

BMartin914
So you got a response from Pelican Brant?
brant
Yep...
and received that one already.
2 shirts
2 gift certificates (25 each)
and a bunch of the CD's that I thought I would put into packets.

brant
BMartin914
muy excelente!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.