Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planning Forum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jeroen
here's some ideas for the front "pocket" print on the shirt...
Jeroen
personally, I like this one, but I'll leave it up to you guys...
lemme know and I'll e-mail the .eps files to John
VegasRacer
Thanks Jeroen. pray.gif They look Ausgezeichnet. smilie_pokal.gif

I have learned from past shirt designs that if I post to many choices, I don't get useful feedback. Jeroen and I both like the Champion Baseball Jersey. So unless there is overwhelming descent, here are the final choices.

Please note that the design on the front will be in one color only (not 2 as shown).

?? Do you like the white / red or grey / red jersey ??

?? Do you like the simple kokopeli or the Red Rock art on the front ??
Eric_Shea
I vote #2. I think the plainer pocket looks classy.

Hotel: I had a full day at work Friday so I wasn't even able to make any out calls to Lisa. I will shot for Mondy to finalize it.

E.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jun 18 2005, 08:57 PM)
I vote #2.  I think the plainer pocket looks classy.

Great minds think alike. biggrin.gif We all agree.

The final choice is down to:
1.) What color shirt? White & Red or Grey & Red?
2.) What color logo on the front? Red or Black?

With your permission I will start a poll in the Garage for the members to vote.
This should also help to generate interest in the event.

I hope we will be able to go public soon with enough of the details for people to be able to start making reservations and a commitment to attend.
Jeroen
hard to choose between the white and gray...
my vote is for a red front print though
Eric_Shea
I vote W, R, R. biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
I don't want to be a PITA, but I really would like to see this event be a success.
In addition to the shirts, what can I do to help reach that goal?

Are Ben, Brant and Joe still around?

I did a quick check on-line and many of the Moab area hotels do not have any available rooms for that weekend in late September. We need to get a place nailed down ASAP.

I plan to extend my stay in Moab for this trip. I want to get in a little white water rafting while I am in the area. (one of my all time favorite activities - a solid 10 on the smile meter biggrin.gif ) I am not going to book a trip until I am positive the RRC is going to happen. We started out with a lot of interest, but the lack of planning activity this past month has me concerned. No other Club members are going to have time to make the necessary arrangements if we do not go public soon. I am sure the RRC would be fun if there are only 2 of us. beerchug.gif It will be a lot more fun if there are 20 (or more ?).
VegasRacer
Red Rocks Classic sad2.gif Dead Rocks Classic
Eric_Shea
John and others (if they're reading this)...

My new job has taken up a tremendous amount of time. I too would like to see this a go but I can't get a free minute from the time I walk in the door at 7-8 until I get home at 7-8.

The hotel list is included. If you'd like to nail down the hotels that would be extremely helpful.

Gathered from the overall response here you probably won't have much in the way of support staff (sorry, this new job has demanded my time) so I would question the overall validity of the event at this time.

Don't know what else to say... bummer sad.gif
Jeroen
I'm still reading... But there's not much I can do from here
Maybe it's better to postpone the event untill it's more convenient
Pulling off an event with just a couple of people will only make it a lot of stress instead of fun
VegasRacer
I just got off the phone with The Archway Inn. It sounds like a nice place and they do have rooms available. I sent e-mails to Brant, Ben and Joe to see if there is still any support for the event. If I can get some help, I think we can still pull it off. Most of the planning work has already been done. We just need to wrap up the details.
brant
Ok...
I'm back and I promise not to flake off again on any of you. I'm in.

let me say that I do feel guilty for disappearing.
I have been a little slammed lately and have tried to participate in the race season as well as my job...

but I'm back.
So I just had a 4 day trip to moab. We did a 4 day canoe that turned into a 3 day. I have either been on vacation or was sick for about the last 10 days and apologize for skipping out on everyone. I'll post more pictures onto the main thread if people want...

Eric,
I'm happy for you about work. I know it must suck to be so busy but better than not being busy.

John,
I apologize and I will help carry this through. I think I'm meeting up with Ben tonight so I'll get him to weigh in either way and my guess is that he can help some more too.

also, I love the shirts.. All of the shirts.. I kind favor the grey, but I don't dislike any of the options. John Pick one.
Sounds good to me. How much money do we need to front the order? I'm willing to send a check.

Jeroen, can we start a public thread now.
We can cut paste the info from this one, and I agree completely with John that we should start drumming up interest, pre-shirt sales, and a count down.

also, I think we should publish the hotel info so people can start reserving rooms. I will also add that I spent 2 nights in moab last week with dogs and the motel 6 takes dogs if that matters to anyone. My dogs will probably be coming along, but I'm guessing they are the only dogs that will be in attendance. I'll call Arches and ask what their dog policy is before I schedule make my reservations.

Another update: So here is a copy of the letter I sent to GPR and to Pelican parts:
------------------------
Pelican Parts
120 Standard Street
El Segundo, CA 90245

Hello and thank you for your time. Technically, this letter is solicitation. I’m writing because some of the members of the Internet 914 club at: http://www.914world.com/ are putting together a 914 event for this fall. The event is being called the: RED ROCKS CLASSIC, and is a regional spin off on the club’s West Coast Classic, that has been held the last 2 years. We are soliciting any sponsorship, door prizes or support that we can use to help make this event even better. We are “picking” on Pelican Parts because you are one of only a few sources out there that is well respected, loved and has always been a support to the 914 communities.

Our event will happen in Moab, Utah on September 23rd, 24th, and 25th. We have multiple auto tours planned and a social barbeque on the Saturday evening. The event is scheduled for two and a half days and we are expecting participants from California, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Colorado. The registration is just starting but we are hoping for somewhere around 30 to 50 cars.

Of course we would love to invite any of the Pelican Parts staff, and perhaps Dave Darling will drive his 914 out to the event. I would also like to ask for any gifts/sponsorship that Pelican Parts might be willing to give in support of the event. I would personally guarantee that any support will be put only to the event and that our club community will be well aware of whom the sponsors are. I would be happy to provide publicity shots, a write up, Internet links, or anything else that would better enable Pelican Parts to learn about this event. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions you might have.

You reach me at:
Brant McClung
Day (303) 441-1064
Evening (303) 702-9252
212 5th avenue
Longmont, Colorado 80501

And my direct email address is:
Brant914@hotmail.com

Thanks again for the consideration and I will call next week to see if there are any questions I can answer.
--------------------------------------------------------

Who else do you suggest I try to solicit from?
throw out any ideas guys.. I'm skipping AA obviously.

I'm still happy to play register.
I think we should plagerize the routes like Eric said.
The dates seem good still, and I spoke with some non-internet based teener people I know about more attendees and more possible sponsorship. A few of them want to only do 1 day or 2 days, but I doubt that would be a problem if they still registered.

here is a pic or two
brant

Brant

brant
annoying vacation photo #2:
BMartin914
I'm definitely in and willing to help. Thread kind of died around late May and I haven't checked it since then. hide.gif

I was hoping that nailing this thread a while back would generate some interest, but it doesn't look like we have too many that are 'feeling it' for this event. Please correct me if I am wrong. Please. sad.gif

Again - I am willing to help, let me know what I can do. No experience with planning an event, but am willing to learn. driving.gif
VegasRacer
boldblue.gif smilie_pokal.gif mueba.gif WooHoo. It looks like we are back on. driving.gif
I will call The Archway Inn back and firm up the details. Tiffany was very helpful when I talked with her this morning. She did offer us a group rate of $80 (plus $7.20 tax). This was for a room with 2 queen beds. They have a pool, hot tub, etc. plus free breakfast.
Jeroen
yeah! here we go!

I'll put up a dedicated site (like for the WCC and most other events) a.s.a.p.
Including an online registration form
Eric_Shea
John,

Big thanks for handling the hotel. Let's make sure they have a parking lot they can set aside for the Rise and Shine show... yeah?

That's a decent hotel.

Good work.

E.
VegasRacer
#1 - Thank you Eric for all your planning efforts for the RRC. Being over worked is better than being unemployed. Ask me how I know.

I learned from the Route 66 Classic that only a basic plan is necessary for a successful event. We already have that. Now we just need to work out a few details and promote it to attract others to attend. We should make this all as easy on ourselves as possible. Let the KISS principle be our guide.

The key players and their positions:

Jeroen - Can you gleen enough of the details from this thread to create / lock an official Red Rock Classic post? Be sure to mention that a 914 is not required.

Joe - The awards program is all your baby. You can pick any categories you want. What do you anticipate the expense will be to produce the trophys? Do we want to have a judging committee or should we select the winners by peoples choice?

Brant - great letter to GPR and Pelican. CAMP 914 is another good guy to hit up for donations.

???? - We need someone to take charge of the food. This is the biggest item on the 'need to do' list. The Archway Inn offers a FREE breakfast. Lunch the 1st day is on your own. We need to contact the Red Cliffs Lodge to confirm dinner on Friday. We also need to contact Brew Pub #2 for the awards banquet on Saturday night. Lunch on both Sat. and Sun. still seem a bit up in the air.

John - I have the shirts under control. I will start a poll in a day or two so the club members can vote on the final selection. I will take care of the orders, shipping etc. I will also work out all the necessary details with the Archway Inn. I will have them block off rooms for our group. People will need to say they are from the Porsche Club to get the discount rate.

???? - Can someone take care of printing maps for the tours?

Ben - What are you up for?

Trojanman offered to help on the public thread. I am sure we can find something for him to do.

Do we need to have a registration fee? If so, how much? Would it be easier to make everything 'pay as you go'? The 2 dinners are the biggest expenses. Lunches also need to be considered. Isn't there is a fee to drive thur the one park? We could include a shirt with the registration or it might be easier to have people order them separately? Is 30 cars a good guess on how many cars / people to expect?

I am sure I have forgotten something important.
Eric_Shea
Slickrock Cafe may be a good lunch spot for the Sunday Send-off. It's a classic spot in Moab and they may have an upstairs room they can quaran... reserve for us.

No problem John, I'll still try to help out where I can but my spare time has been limited.
brant
wow this all sounds great.

John,
I'll email craig my little form letter.
does anyone have any other shops that they like and think I should send my solicitation too?

oh.. also... John, will archway let us rope off a part of the parking lot? (maybe the side or something)

one more thing John. Do you need starter cash for the shirts or will pre-sales with the club fund that?

Ben,
you willing to take over food or maps?

I think pay as you go for food could get messy...
perhaps the 2 meals should be pre-paid so we don't have to split the bills and add tips. Personal opinion here, but keeping the included items to a minimum will reduce the entry fee

As far as entry fee to the park-tour, I think that should be pay as we go.

As far as the shirt being included with entry fee, I'm open either way on that one.

brant

VegasRacer
I was not able to talk to the person I needed to when I called the Aarchway today. Don't worry. I will get everything involving the Motel taken care of.

Same for the shirts. Thanks for the offer but I do not need any starter cash. I have it under control. I have developed a system after doing the WCC '04 and Rt. 66 shirts. It would be much easier for me to take care of everything regarding the shirts myself. Having them be part of the enty fee would be a PITA for me. I would rather do it separately.

I am much more concerned about the food issue right now.
I have not contacted any of the restaurants (nor do I plan to).
Someone else needs to step up and take on this job.
If we are going to make the 2 dinners part of the entry fee, how much should we charge? Who is going to collect it and how do we get it to them? What time will we be at the Red Cliffs Lodge on Friday night? How many people will be in our group? What will the cost be? Is there a group discount? Same questions for the Brew Pub on Saturday night? Do they have a separate room for us to have our awards banquet?

Lunch on the 1st day should not be a problem. On Saturday we will not be in a populated area at lunch time. Some provisions need to be made in advance. The Slickrock Cafe sounds like a great place for lunch on the last day. Can we just walk in as a large group and expect to get service? I think we probably need to contact them in advance.

Jeroen - Will you be the one to get an official locked thread started or should I do it? Your computer skills are much greater than mine. You write better than I do too. I will be happy to make the post, but I know you can make it more slick, cool and professional looking.
brant
Ok...
regarding the meals these are just my thoughts.
If ben or trojan aren't able then I'll do it.
let me ask them if they are able.

I still like the KISS idea and everybody pays, but in reality I hate counting out the bill and always being 20 short and then trying to figured out who paid and who didn't..

I've just had it happen where I end up getting stuck paying 50 bucks for a burger that I ate and its so frustrating. Perhaps with this crew, it wouldn't happen..

seriously I'll go either way.
what do you fellas think.. pay in advance for meals or pay as we go?

either way I'll do the leg work.
if the meal ticket is part of the registration fee, then I can happily play registar (was planning on doing it anyways) and collect the money and give the final number to restaurant.

If we do pay as we go, then reservations are even more simple.

regarding the lunch on saturday I'm torn.
we could try to do a picnic.. box lunches or something, but that could be a hassle...
what would be best.

I hope its not annoying that I keep asking questions and putting it back to the group.
I'll pm trojan and see if he wants to participate, or even ferg.. I just sent ben an email about it.

Oh..
one good thing to report
here is the email I got from Craig today.
Should I just ask him to pick a door prize of his decision?
-------------
Brant, Good morning. No, I can't say no. Let me know what I can do and where
to send I will supply something.
Craig C. Laughlin
----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 5:19 PM
Subject: soliciting
Jeroen
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Jun 29 2005, 12:26 PM)
Jeroen - Can you gleen enough of the details from this thread to create / lock an official Red Rock Classic post? Be sure to mention that a 914 is not required.

no problem... if I need more info, I'll just ask here
the page won't go live untill all of you had a chance to see and comment on it...
VegasRacer
I hope its not annoying that I keep asking questions and putting it back to the group.

No problem. That is how this planning thing is supposed to work.

I guess we now understand why meals were not part of the WCC.
I know what you mean about paying $50 for a burger when everybody else does not pony up their fair share. It was my experience going out to dinner at the WCC that we are a generous group. Each time there was more than enough to pay the bill plus a big tip for the waitress. At the Red Cliffs Lodge I think the dinner is a one price deal. At the Brew Pub Eric had talked about a set menu in a banquet room. If this is the case, it should make things much easier.

Either way is fine by me also. I'm just trying to make it as simple as possible.
I do believe that if we have some sort of a registration fee it would help us get a better idea in advance of who and how many people will be at the event. Is $50 enough to cover the 2 dinners (plus maybe enough extra to get some sandwiches and drinks for Saturday)? Are there any other expenses that would need to be covered by a registration fee other than the meals? If so what and how much?

Anything that Craig is willing to give would be great. clap.gif
Did you hear back from Pelican?
Brant, why don't you just go thru everybody that has a thread on the 914 Resources, Parts and Products page and send them all an e-mail. See who is willing to donate something. It never hurts to ask. If they want to list an ad for free and sell stuff on our web site, they should be willing to cough up a few goodies for the Club events.

Everything is set at the Aarchway Inn. smilie_pokal.gif They are happy to be our host hotel. They do not really have an area of the parking lot they can rope off for us. It is a single level building with parking around the sides in front of each room. What they are willing to do is make sure that we all have our rooms side by side in the back so we can easily claim that corner of the lot.

I had them block off 25 rooms for us. People need to say they are with the Porsche Club when they call to make their reservation. They will hold the rooms for us until August 31st.
BMartin914
Haven't checked this thread in a couple of days...sorry for the tardy reply.

I would be happy to take maps and food. Maps are easy. I have graphic arts skills and software. Lead me to where I can find the route, and I will come up with a nice map. Need a head count also for # of maps.

As for food...I am willing to take this on but need some direction. Maybe someone can get with me off-thread and I can bounce some things off them (John or Brant). I will need an initial head count and a general consensus as to form of payment. Pre-pay is looking like a winner - try to avoid the "put $15 on each of these 10 cards" syndrome. If I can get a little direction, I will take it the rest of the way.

PM or e-mail me and we will get this thing off the ground. smilie_pokal.gif
BMartin914

I would be happy to take maps and food. Maps are easy. I have graphic arts skills and software. Lead me to where I can find the route, and I will come up with a nice map. Need a head count also for # of maps.

As for food...I am willing to take this on but need some direction. Maybe someone can get with me off-thread and I can bounce some things off them (John or Brant). I will need an initial head count and a general consensus as to form of payment. Pre-pay is looking like a winner - try to avoid the "put $15 on each of these 10 cards" syndrome. If I can get a little direction, I will take it the rest of the way.

TROJANMAN
i didn't read every thread word for word, but here are a few ideas:

concerning attendance - i think the best way to market this thing is to keep an active thread bumped on the main forum. give it a catchy title, so people check back. sometimes if you can get the "most popular" people to show up, others will follow.
anyone know of any celebrity 914 owners?

awards: maybe get creative on the type of awards you want to give out. most "documented" money spent on a 914? most driveable "parts" car to show up. if you advertise an award someone feels like they can win, it may entice them to show up. of course, be sure to include the regular awards as well.

sponsors: my experience has been that it is easier to get participating sponsors once you can present them with how many "customers" their sponsorship will reach.
also, maybe ask one of the local moab business to help with sponsorship. maybe a free beer for every driver (that would be responsible), or some BOGO coupons for meals, etc.

help: what can i do to help?
Eric_Shea
Saturday Lunch - My initial thoughts were to get with a local deli or catering outfit. We could have sandwiches made up. I may have the E320 so we could load a ton of food items and coolers in there.

One thing to remember for this area... WATER

We'll need LOTS.
VegasRacer
Welcome to the team Gregor. All of your ideas sound good. If you see something you want to take charge of - jump on it.

My initial thoughts were to get with a local deli or catering outfit

I agree Eric. I am sure we can find some place in Moab to make up lunches for us. Either you or someone else will certainly have a vehicle with enough room to haul the food and drinks to the picnic area.

That still leaves the lunch on Sunday at the Slick Rock Cafe and the 2 dinners. What is a good number to expect?? 40 people?? (Probably a few less for the last lunch on Sunday as I expect some will head out early)

Ben - have you touched base yet with either the Red Cliffs Lodge or the Brew Pub? Can they accommodate our group? What will it cost per head? I sent you a PM with my phone number. You can call anytime. I work 6 PM - 3 AM. It is never to early or to late.

I am thinking maybe a $75 registration fee might be better. (it is better to have to much than not enough) $25 for each of the 2 dinners. $10 for the box lunch. That gives us a bit of a cushion. We also need to account for awards and printing. If we have enough left over that can go towards the park entry fee.
Eric_Shea
The Friday dinner was pretty well set. Red Cliffs Lodge is fantastic. They have an outdoor chicken thingy for $18.00 a head served on the pario overlooking the river (there's wine close by too wink.gif ). The road is one of the best in the country for scenery... the question is the route. I was thinking I-70 to CO and then back in but a southern route might be more scenic. 3rd option would be to take that road out. Stop for a hike around the "Towers" area. Hit the lodge and come back. You can never get enough of that route.

That would leave the brew pub. They seemed anxious on the phone but never did get back with me. The chef was going to call back with a special menu for us.
VegasRacer
Excellent. boldblue.gif Thanks Eric.

I just got off the phone with Ben. He is going to call The Red Cliffs Lodge, The Brew Pub, and The Slick Rock Cafe to set things up.

Before you said anything, after I looked at a map, I was thnking that we might want to run Highway 128 both up and back on Friday. Doing the loop with I-70 would be OK, but I get no great joy driving on the Interstate.

Here is a map so everybody else can see what we are talking about.
Eric_Shea
I wonder what that road through the La Sal's is like? Might be cool to take that, hit the lodge then do 128 back.
VegasRacer
I was thinking the same thing.

Head out of Moab going south.
Cut over the the road that goes thru the La Sal Forest.
On thru Castle Valley, then pick up 128 going North.
Visit the Fisher Towers.
Cross the Colorado River.
Up to Cisco or where ever we want to turn around.
Head back down Highway 128.
The Red Cliffs Lodge is on 128 near where it says 'Windows'.
Dinner and then a short drive back to Moab.
Eric_Shea
I like that route with a possible hike. There's a creek along there and there might be some good short hike/waterfall trails we could all do. Always a cool thing to do.

E.
brant
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Jun 30 2005, 10:28 PM)

Ben,

I have a state map that I use from colorado.
I'll be happy to photo copy that or give it to you.
I'm thinking that map wise though, we should give with registration a small map of just the tour...

I think all of the tours that eric mentioned and his boxter friend did are on my map...

brant
brant
Ben,

just catching up.
thanks for doing all the restaurant stuff..

John,
I like the idea of using extra registration money to buy tour tickets...
I also am going to contact all of the resource people. (can't believe pelican and GPR haven't replied yet)

Greggor, If your in would you be willing to find the box lunch details?
if thats not up your alley I understand and could do it....

so I think 75$ will come off as a tiny bit steep to some people....
but on the other hand, I agree with the point that its better to have too much than non enough.. Sounds like Ben will be able to verify the food price, and then we can nail down the money announcement in the public thread.

I'm fine with the price.

brant

TROJANMAN
i work on the box lunch details.

wink.gif
BMartin914
So it looks like Eric has the details for Friday night dinner pinned down. If this is correct I will scratch this off my list and work on the Brew Pub and Sunday lunch.
brant
update...

regarding the door prizes sponsorship.
I sent off about a dozen messages to people in the resource section.

I skipped a few that were generic non-914 postings..
and I skipped Treadway too.

That one Shea guy that does the brake stuff, he looks to be a tough one to break... I'm thinking I can solicit him If I get one of those software programs that generates annoying messages over and over....

No news back from pelican or GPR either way?
I'll call them this week or something.

brant
brant
another update:

so travis is donating a master cylinder brace kit
zois some side carrerra scripts (no eric you can't have them for the RS)
james adams something likely, but he is busy moving and asked that we work out the details next week.
and craig something, and James (morphenspectra) maybe too....

brant

VegasRacer
Good news. Thanks Guys. smilie_pokal.gif

Ben - I think it would be a good idea to touch base with the Red Cliffs Lodge to confirm the price, time, menu, etc., for Friday night.

Gregor - I found on the Internet that there is a Subway sandwich shop in Moab. It also looked like there were a couple of other Mom & Pop type places that might be a better choice.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jul 5 2005, 03:37 PM)
are we putting sponsors names on the t-shirts?

Nope.

How do we plan to distribute the sponsor prizes?
Raffle? Auction? Door prizes?

If we sold tickets or auctioned the items, we could use the money to help pay for Park enty fees or lunch.

What will we do if we have any left over money?
Donate to a charity? Pay for lunch on Sunday? Give it to the WCC fund?
Eric_Shea
I don't have that din-din pinned down but it's basically set that that's the place we wanted. All we need to do is call and reserve the patio and the chicken thingy.

Next: Brake-Boy is in for a set of shinny new rear calipers. Don't start spam'n me Mr. VintoRacer. wink.gif
BMartin914
Would it be worthwhile to make some tentative reservations to reserve the "patio and chicken thingy" wink.gif for about 40 people or should we hold off and work on numbers for now?

I plan on using my lunch hour tomorrow to work out Saturday's dinner and Sunday's lunch (time permitting).

-ben
VegasRacer
Ben - YES. Reserve the patio. 40 people sounds about right. Same for the dinner at the Brew Pub. We need to get per head prices from both places so we know how much to charge for the event registration. You can tell both restaurants we will have a clear picture a week or so before the RRC and an exact count on Friday morning.

For times ??
My guess is 6:00 for dinner on Friday, 7:00 on Saturday, and 1:00 for lunch on Sunday.
BMartin914
Thanks John! I'm on it.
VegasRacer
Good deal Ben. I will be home and available all day today.
Give me a call if I can help you out.
We need to get this stuff nailed down so we can go public with the details.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jul 1 2005, 12:03 PM)
. . . . the best way to market this thing . . . . .

w00t.gif biggrin.gif chairfall.gif Good job on the Auto-X thread Gregor. I like the way you work.

What are some of your creative ideas for awards categories?
I don't know that we will have enough cars for any serious CW competitions.
We might as well have fun with it.
TROJANMAN
what day you want the box lunches?

i found a fancy place that serves wraps. it will be between $7-$9 for a to go box. their specialties are:

blt wrap
currie wrap
veggie wrap
they also have a reuben on bread.

i am going to speak with the owner tomorrow for a group rate. seems a little better than a boring subway sandwich.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.