Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planning Forum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Gint
You guys can plan all you want in here. I've PM'd Brant, Joe, Eric and Ben with the password. Don't go giving it out to everyone. This forum is for you guys to communicate with each other, post test web sites, graphics, pics plans whatever all of which is outside the main forum and the rest of the user community.
Series9
OK, I'm in.
Gint
QUOTE (914RS @ May 3 2005, 05:05 PM)
OK, I'm in.

HA! I think your wife's lookin for ya...
Eric_Shea
He can hide here... biggrin.gif

What's "Check My Authorisation"? laugh.gif

OK Gang... we need hotels and restaurants.

Hey, we can bash Treadway in here too (kinda like piss'n in a dark suit, kissing a pretty girl in the dark etc...)
BMartin914
Ok...Treadway and AA suck! Really big... wink.gif

Anyway...

Where do we start planning? What has been done as of now? I know Brant has been spearheading this thing to some degree and had some sort of packet together. Has anything been accomplished so far?

Let me know what I can do. Make calls, etc. Once we get the itenerary down, I would be willing to create a hardcopy itinerary and then write it to pdf, post it, print and laminate, etc. I'm ready and willing to help... boldblue.gif

-ben
brant
Ok...
I'm in now too

Ben, I haven't really done diddly
Eric has really done all the work and joe too.

So I think we need a hotel. And preferably one that will give some type of a discounted rate.

then 2nd (and easier).. I think we need to pick a few restaurants. If anybody has personal favorites that is good enough for me. Then we can call and make reservations.

Regarding reservations. What type of numbers do you guys think we should plan for?
20?

3rd thought.. Do we want to collect money and get a t-shirt or memoribilia printed?

brant
brant
ohhh... p.s.

treadway just called and he's coming too
said that AA will be providing something.
(and a very special extra something to eric)

brant
Gint
QUOTE (brant @ May 5 2005, 10:06 AM)
ohhh... p.s.

brant

Now that I gotta see...
Series9
QUOTE (brant @ May 5 2005, 09:06 AM)
ohhh... p.s.

brant

...free ice in your drink at lunch...

Fuck AA.

Brant, you're in charge. Delegate.

Split up the things that need to be done and hand out assignments.

I think we should have shirts.
brant
Ok...
I've got a call out to John Pederson in Las Vegas.
He is selling shirts for the route 66 thing.
I'll find out about the details.

Eric,
at one point you mentioned Jeroen was going to do us a banner..... Do we do up an "arches" drawing with a 914 on it for our shirts.. or does Jeroen already have something nice done?

I have been bad and have not called any hotels.
unless someone else wants to do it.. I still can.
how many rooms (people) would we tenative expect?
20 or 150?
does mid price sound reasonable to everyone.

I've only been to moab once.
I'm totally open minded regarding food.
anyone want to pick some restaurants?

also... do we need to buy bulk passes for the tours or is it one of those things where we can get them on friday or something when we have an accurate head count.

So if were going to have T shirts, then we need to charge an entrance fee. Is there anything else that needs to be included in the registration? I'm thinking a driving coupon to get in to any of the tours (don't some of the parks charge?) How much do they charge?

I'm happy to delegate and do
but I don't want to step on eric's toes.
he has done the most prep work..
Eric, chime in here and then we will get down to it.

brant

Eric_Shea
Brant,

Here's what I've got so far:

Hotels - Yes it would be a good idea to call around. We'll need a parking lot dedicated to the cars for the "Rise and Shine" event. I'd like to go there but currently don't have the time slated to make the 4-hour trip. I can do some further checking with my buddy who does the Red Rock Run's with the Boxsters. I'll ask about restaurants as well. Mid price is fine... I just don't want to have to bring my own sheets and a nice pool would be welcome. Let me tackle that one.

People (cars) - 6 LA, 4 - SF, 2 - NW, 3 UT, 6 - CO, 3 - Other. I'd say 20-30 cars max.

T-Shirts - Let us know what you find out from John. You can be the official T-shirt guy. I'll beed your e-mail address again and I can send you the JPG, TIFF or GIF file (whatever your vendor of choice needs). The JPG is included in this post. I think we should have it as the offical logo but we may want to clean it up for a shirt. 914, Kokopelli and Arch with a tag line. -or- Maybe the full monte on the back and a clean pocket logo with the kokopelli, arch and teener. Entrance fee will be what it is.

Tours - Arches will be the only fee tour. $10.00 per vehicle to get in the park. It's a 7-day pass (like that matters).

Our friends in Michigan put on a really nice one day event last year. They're on it again this year. I think we should bump noggin's with them and get info on the registration fees, t-shirts, goodie bags, sponsors etc.

Speaking of sponsors. I'm not in favor of letting AA weasle in on this just to try and score more customers. If they come clean and start taking care of some of the issues then I'm willing to talk about it but my take on it is this:

That little nut sucker Treadway is only on this board as a Shill for George. Period. George's pathetic customer service has gotten him in a bind and people like PP have been cleaning his clock lately. As it should be. The most recent thread came to one of the better conclusions... where is George? I really don't feel comfortable hosting an event for them to come feed on fellow teeners like Seagulls at the dock. There's plenty of other vendors out there.

Other things to look into:

Trophies (what categories?)
T-Shirt - Sizes.
Promotional Giveaways - Product, Gift Certificates.
"Quality" Vendors.
Charity for extra revenue.
Registration Database.
What do we want to include? This will guide us toward the fee amount.

More to come.
Series9
Wow Eric,

I didn't know you had put so much into this so far. Nice job and thanks for laying out an excellent frame work.

I agree with everything you've said. The T-shirt design looks perfect.

You know how I feel about AA. Leave them out.

I'm willing to take on some of the tasks. Let me know.

For trophies, I'd like to see an 'RS' catagory cool.gif
VegasRacer
I would be happy to take on the t-shirt assignment. That should be something I can take care of from my geographically challenged location. Plus it will free up Brant for another assignment better suited for a more local member.

After I complete the deal with the Route 66 Classic shirt vendor, I will have more details to report.
Gint
Just checkin in...

If you guys need anything from an admin persepctive, just gimme a yell. As always, phone, email, PM in that order is the best way to reach me.

Here's a thought; Treadway carressing the fleshy part of my ass with his lips has some appeal to me. I know how some of you guys feel about it, but why not take their money and get something from AA for a change?
Eric_Shea
Because you can't buy respect, you have to earn it? confused24.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Gint @ May 8 2005, 08:52 PM)
Here's a thought; Treadway carressing the fleshy part of my ass with his lips has some appeal to me. I know how some of you guys feel about it, but why not take their money and get something from AA for a change?

I don't want to feel dirty. It's like making a deal with the devil. Yes, you and your ass get some satisfaction, but there will be a long-term bill to pay.
brant
Hello..

It will probably sound like I'm free associating here but anyways:

John, thanks for your offer on taking care of the tee shirts.
that would be great. I was going to call your shop anyways.

Eric, NICE JOB on the logo. not to take anything away from jeroen or anyone that helped... but it looks great.
you have just done such a nice job on it.

So I need a job then. I feel like I haven't done enough yet. How about I become the official register?

I'll be happy to put packets together, collect money.. Even pay deposits and what not.

Joe, I definitely think that we can have a trophy catagory for, "Best 914 RS car owned by Joe"
do you think that will cover it?

so... (here comes the free association part)

-besides joe's catagories... what other trophys do we need? I'm not very creative I guess in that I'm only thinking of: best in show, farthest, best roadkill or sad trip story, best interior?.... what else.

-for the record I did not talk to AA and will not.. that was just a joke really. So how does one go about soliciting gifts? do we just cold call some of our favorite vendors? I would suggest GPR or Pelican, or some of the 914 friendly ones out there... Can we then put their name on the shirt too?

-We could get some vinyl decals done up by sean.. sort of a RRC bumper sticker for attendee's.... I'm open to input, but so far I'm thinking registration packet would contain: 1) bumpersticker or plaque, 2) t-shirt, 3) ticket into the park (for the tour) 4) map and itinerary. Is that enough? I kinda like the keep it simple approach. Then people pay their own hotels and own meals? And I may be way off, but registration cost would probably be only 25bucks or so....

what else do we need to buy? Maybe the above trophys?

brant
Gint
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 9 2005, 09:48 AM)
Because you can't buy respect, you have to earn it?  :confused:

Awferfucksake...

I'm not sellin it either. I've been called a stubborn sumbitch, but you two guys are starting to make me look like a nun. Just 'cause treadway comes out and sponsors an event doesn't change whatshisbuckets (the guy that owns the joint, I can't remember now) reputation. But I can respect treadway making an effort anyway. Doesn't really change the way I feel about AA or whatshisbucket. I've never given them an opportunity to screw me, so maybe that's why I'm a little more open to the idea.

I don't want to argue about it though. It doesn't matter to me either way. It's just not that important to me. You guys are running the show, you make the call. I appreciate you putting the effort into making this event happen. Quickly too. Again, let me know if I can help form this end.

Maybe, just maybe, the 914 will be ready. But I'll be there, 914 or not.
Series9
At the WCC, the trophy classes were:

Best in Show
Best original 6
Best original 4
Best conversion
Best racecar
Best engine bay
Best paint
Best interior
Ugliest
and the Big Brass Balls award (a dubious distinction for having the balls the drive a mechanically unsound car more than a few miles from its home).

If you'd like, I will take care of the trophies.
brant
I don't know if we will have enough cars to fill out all of those classes....

but heck, since the RS won like a dozen classes or something.....

this will give others a chance. Especially because you will probably win the "Best RS owned by Joe" award...

I swear I'm a nice guy Joe, I'm just teasing you... realllyyy.. I'll buy you a beer in moab to prove it.

Ok..
so if your willing to do trophys that sounds great.
you pick the classes and you pick the type of trophy
then we roll it into the price of admission.

I will draft up some type of letter...
show it to you guys...
and then mail it plus follow up with calls to a few of the porsche vendors.

John, do you think it would cost extra to put sponsor names on the shirts? I just think it would help with the collections If I promised that to prospective vendors...

eric,
I think I can talk dad into coming too... so you can give him a big sloppy kiss if you want. .... (dang, now I'm going to owe you a beer for teasing too)..

thanks to all of you and eric again... for doing this!
its gonnna be FUN!

brant

Series9
QUOTE (brant @ May 9 2005, 07:14 PM)
but heck, since the RS won like a dozen classes or something.....

this will give others a chance. Especially because you will probably win the "Best RS owned by Joe" award...

I appreciate that, but I really think you should only be able to receive one award.

If a car gets more than one, we should give the car the highest honor it receives, but we should then remove it from competition in the other classes.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (brant @ May 9 2005, 06:14 PM)
John, do you think it would cost extra to put sponsor names on the shirts? I just think it would help with the collections If I promised that to prospective vendors...

That depends on how it is done. If we are willing to incorporate the sponsors name / logo into the RRC design, it would not cost any more. If we wanted to put the sponsors on the sleeve or the other side, that would increase the printing cost. The cost also goes up if we choose to use more than one color.

Example - If a sponsor was willing to donate $1000 for 50 shirts, we could have their logo on the front and the large RRC art on the back. If they want to pay for it, I would wear it.

My opinion - If we are going to get some serious money / donations from the sponsors, put 'em on the shirts. If it is just for a few trinkets, we can pay for our own fun.

MEALS - I have no problem with the meals being out of our own pocket. I hope we can have a group BBQ or something similar one night. It would be great if reservations can be made in advance so we can all eat at the same place. One less think to think about in our limited time together and much more fun if we are all together.

My initial thought was that we will probably get 20 - 30 cars for the event. That would mean about 50 people. Maybe I am just getting caught up in the excitement, but I would not be surprised if we get more.
Eric_Shea
My friend replied and he stated he's going to check come places out for us this weekend.

Click Here

This will get you excited about Moab. This is Jack's "Boxster" group. He has made the Red Rocks Run an annual event for the past three years now. Jack recommended the Delores River Canyon route for our Friday drive but I think it's a bit long for an afternoon drive. I think we can hit 191 notrth to Sego Canyon for some pictographs, East on I-70 to exit 202 and back down 128 along the Colorado. Fisher Towers might be a nice stop.

Jeroen deserves all the credit for the logo. I simply asked him to incorporate the arch and the Kokopelli.

Let's see how the vendor thing turns out and then finalize the shirts.

Brant, you're the official registrar.

I like the trophie thing... instead of best of show I think it should be "People's Choice (RS) Award. Again, we can check with WCC or the MWC people and see what went well with them. I recall MWC having best original and modified -4 and -6 categories and then the people voted on their favorite.

Can I enter the RS category?
Eric_Shea
One idea for the food... based upon what John mentioned (BBQ). We could have a local "Chuck Wagon" catering company handle the event Saturday night. This would again be based upon the hotel and their ability to host that type of an event (tents and tables etc...). I've done this before for local PCA events and it was fun.
Series9
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 10 2005, 06:36 AM)
I like the trophie thing... instead of best of show I think it should be "People's Choice (RS) Award. Again, we can check with WCC or the MWC people and see what went well with them. I recall MWC having best original and modified -4 and -6 categories and then the people voted on their favorite.

Can I enter the RS category?

At the WCC it was called Best of Show-(Car you'd most like to take home)

Eric, you had better bring a 914. wink.gif
brant
John,

good points about complicating the t shirts and sponsors etc....

so lets keep it simple.
I'll still call GPR, Pelican, ?
to see if they want to give us some swag for door prizes or if perhaps they feel like donating a bunch of money...

also regarding meals, I was thinking we could/should get reservations or possibly back rooms at restaurants...
I just thought that we would deal with the tab on an individual basis.

also without prying too much, what is your guess (rough) about per shirt pricing?

Eric,
the b-bque idea is a neat one.
a really great one!
we could byob and stand around the parking lot drinking and eating...
It could be a nightmare to coordinate, but a neat idea still if you think it is worth pursuing.

oh... p.s. you can bring that 911 if you want... (as long as you promise not to tease me about being in a chevy van instead of a 914)

Joe,
I think your right about the trophy idea... as far as the 1 per a person kind of award... but its your call so what ever you decide is fine with me.

brant

VegasRacer
QUOTE (brant @ May 10 2005, 10:37 AM)
what is your guess (rough) about per shirt pricing?

About $15 each if we got t-shirts printed on one side in one color.
It would be about $20 each for the same 1 color, 1 sided printing on polo shirts.
Eric_Shea
Awards - I think it would be OK for someone to win a couple... someone like Joe who put a shitload of work into a car should be able to garner the hardware. That being said, if you groom the categories it would be difficult to win two awards anyway (other than Best of Show and Best Modified -4 for instance). Best Original -4. Best Original -6. Best Modified -4. Best Modified -6. Best of Show. Ugliest. Someone could get a long distance award to top it off but... hey, they did the driving. confused24.gif

Anyhooo... that's not my department so I'll let Joe wrangle that one.

Regarding the BBQ. I think it would involve renting a tent or having a hotel that can supply such. It might approach more money but there's no driving event for track fees etc... This would be our only event really. Let's say it was Sat night, Friday night dinner could be "Dutch" as Brant suggested. Saturday drive (being optional) would be a $10.00 fee to the cars that wanted to attend. The only other paid event I could see would be the lunch on Sat. How much could those two cost? Catering is uaually $10 a plate for lunch and could run as high as $20 for dinner. That's $1,500.00 I'll put together a spreadsheet to start tracking potential expenses. Then we can break it down by number of attendees.

Here's a prelim. based on 50 attendees:

RRC Expenses

Item Total
Sat Lunch $500.00
Sat Dinner $1,000.00
T-Shirts $750.00
Trophies $50.00
Water $75.00 (couple bottles each for the hike)
Total $2,375.00
Attendees 50
Fee $47.50

I'm sure there's more. We'll have administrative expenses. It will probably cost over $100 just to go down there and scout things out (time drives, make sure no construction is in the way, finalize hotels and restaurants, etc.) Some of this could be subsidized by vendors as well. It looks like it could be $75-95 pp and we could have enough to rent a tent and chairs for the deal. It could be the "Pelican Palace". Maybe even have a band. I could check with Mick and Kieth... biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
The BBQ does not have to be a fancy event. Can we reserve a picnic site at one of the parks? A few packs of dogs, chips, a bag of charcoal, etc. and we would be set.
brant
I'll go either way.
if its in the park or a catered bbq I'm in.

I should say that most of the colorado guys are pretty low spenders. Not necessarily cheapskates, and I don't mean for this to offend anyone, but just have a pretty low amount of money or play money.

we are a real tight budgeted group over hear. Underemployed I guess.

having said my two cents I think both ideas have some merit.

either way... what are Utah's open contaniner laws?
would a beer in the park be illegal (necesitating a private closed party event on private party?)

also, since alcohol is a HUGE money maker for a hotel, would they want to provide a cash bar, or would we be able to do a BYOB thing.. (my preference)

sorry for all the questions
brant
Eric_Shea
I'll go either way.

OK... that settles it. I won't be rooming with you. Snoring I can handle but... butt...

what are Utah's open contaniner laws?
would a beer in the park be illegal

Auhhhhhhhh, hello? Brant? This is planet Utah we're talking about here. Talk a wild ass guess beer.gif

When I moved here they were trying to get the legal age of consent raised from 14 to 16. It didn't pass the first time through! You can show a 14 year-old her 39 year-old Uncles pee-pee but try to show that 14 year-old a beer??? SINNER! BLASPHEMOUS HEATHEN! REPENT, REPENT YOU SACRELIGOUS BEAST!!

(Bring the Blue Paddle Pilsener Lager - New Belgium Brewing, Ft. Collins, CO) drunk.gif

On a more serious note; I'm not really up for hot-dogs in the park but that's just me... we could have a show of hands etc. Most of these events have a dinner event with awards etc... If not a party tent (which wouldn't have to be huge) then a restaurant that can handle the crowd shouldn't be too hard to find. I just thought a tent and a Western style BBQ might be unique.
Eric_Shea
Brew Pub Recommendation

The Menu

They can accomodate 40-50 people at 5:00PM or 9:00PM that Saturday. They didn't really want to work with me on times.

Here's Another

They'll give us the backroom that seats 50 people at 6:30PM. The PP plate charge would be based upon the items on the menu. "Van" the chef, will be calling me back to finalize that. We discussed 3 plates, fish, chicken and beef. They would include a soft drink. For the bar tab teeners would be "on their own."

This is what I was thinking for Friday night. Depending upon the drive, this place is located on 128. We may be able to go south to the LaSalle range and up through the DeLores River canyon. Meet up with 128 and hit the lodge for dinner. The problem being 14 miles of 128 would be driven after dark (back to Moab) I'm sure we'll have plenty of awesome sights prior to that...

Red Cliffs Lodge

They can do a cowboy cookout for $26.00 plus tax and gratuity. Outdoor grill with steaks and chicken. This would be the "Dutch" event. There's a winery on premises.

brant
ok... eric...
you've questioned my manhood now..
30 lashes to you with a wet noodle.
(I'm going to bring my wife now!..)

just kidding.
----------------------
regarding the BBQ
I'm seriously not heavily invested either way.
I think that colorado folk would rather pay less than more, but I don't think they will skip the even over 20bucks..

and overall cost would probably be less if we were allowed to BYOB a private party rather than pay a bar at a restaurant...

so this idea is fine with me.
should we solice someone to research it. I think finding a caterer will be the easy part.

do you want to ask hotels about the private party option when you talk to them.

oh... I'm happy to bring new belgium if you want it..
and there is another local brewery that is really good!
brant
Eric_Shea
Brant,

Here's the hotel I was thinking of:

Aarchway Inn

Tell them you're from the "Porsche Club" (they don't have to know which one) and you had gotten some special rate offers in the past. See what they can do. We'll want a section of the parking lot closed off for parking and the "Rise and Shine" event.
Eric_Shea
OK... I'm getting confused. I see now you're the registar.

I'll shoot for hotels... I've got a nice list with amenities.
Eric_Shea
OK Weinerschnitzels,

I've done enough for one day. My birthday nonetheless...

Here's an PDF file with the moab hotels. The "green" columns are areas of interest. The yellow "rows" are ones that I think might fit. They have web sites and everything so feel free to lok around and let me know what you think.

I believe you right mouse click and "Save Target As' (or something like that...) wacko.gif
Eric_Shea
I lied... last one. This is the menu from the Red Cliffs Lodge

(right click, Save Target As)

brant
Happy... belated birthday.
I'm sorry I missed it...

so as to not loose momentum
I looked at the hotels.
I think all of your "interested ones"
look good....

why don't you just pick your favorite and then that will be the one.!

happy belated birthday again
brant
Eric_Shea
Thanks Brant!

Got this from my Boxster buddy... long:

Eric:

We had a great weekend with some spectacular drives. We discovered some new roads that will be a lot of fun to caravan as well.

Here are some highlights, you can find the itinerary details on the trip website:
http://home.business.utah.edu/~mgtjwb/Tour...ab05/moab05.htm

1) Needles Overlook: Something like 18 miles south of Moab, the road out to this overlook is 22 miles of nothing. No cars, some signs indicating cows, but we did not see any. Long straights where we were hitting 90 going out and 120 coming back. Slightly irresponsible, but a real highlight of the trip. The Overlook itself is spectacular. This is the highest point in Canyonlands, and you can see the Green-Colorado confluence and all three districts of the park. This is a very large overlook with lots of places to climb around and take pictures. The vista here is easily 270 degrees. It was a great afternoon drive. I will include this on every Moab drive I ever do.

2) Upper Colorado-Delores River Canyon Drive. We devoted all day Friday to this drive, and it was definitely worth doing. The morning light along the Colorado River was great for taking pictures of the cars, and there are some campgrounds and recreation areas where there is plenty of parking. Hittle Bottom, for instance is good. A quick stop at the Dewey Bridge was also worthwhile. We drove directly to Grand Junction, but one of the guys on the drive suggested we next time take the road through the Colorado National Monument. We definitely had the time to do this. The Delores River Canyon is just a great drive. The road is right next to the river bed, and it is just miles and miles of twisting turns with beautiful red rock scenery. At the south end of the Delores River Canyon, we picked up CO-90 which becomes UT-46. This is a great mountain road that comes into Moab on the south side of the La Sal Mountains. Great road, great driving, no traffic, and the alpine meadows in Utah are a great opportunity to burn off some carbon. We did not see a single police officer except when we were driving I-70.

3) La Sal Mountains Loop. This drive is about 50 miles. We started in Castle Valley, but I would run it the opposite way, which means starting out just south of Moab. My large format map indicates this road is not paved the whole way, but it actually is paved. The surface is not pristine, but it is much better than many county roads. The road climbs up to the base of the La Sal peaks with vistas overlooking Moab and Castle Valley. Mountain terrain, including aspen forest, this is a great short drive and the roads are wonderful 20 mph twisting, undulating surfaces. This is definitely a second gear all the way, so be prepared to burn a fair amount of gas.

We also enjoyed our morning in Canyonlands. Most of our party had never been to Dead Horse Point, so they really wanted to go. It is spectacular, but once you have seen it, you have seen it. We hiked out to Mesa Arch in Canyonlands, and this was worthwhile. It is very interesting because it is only about 8 feet tall at the canyon rim, but it extends downward a couple hundred feet. The Grand View lookout was also a good place to stop, plus we did the Green River overlook. We spent a couple of hours in Canyonlands, and it was plenty. We did not do Arches this trip. You need about 4 hours to just do a cursory visit to Arches, and we were more interested in doing some drives.

We have typically stayed at the Best Western in the middle of town -- Canyonlands, not Greenwell -- which runs about $120 a night. This is on the expensive end, but you can walk to a lot of restaurants and bars. It is right across the street from the Slickrock Cafe, which is a good lunch place. We had good luck with the Holiday Inn Express on a drive last year, which is on the far north end of town. It is new, they have a large parking lot with some good places to line up, and there is also a frontage road so you can potentially stage drives out front. They include a breakfast buffet, which is boring, but the people I am driving with typically like something quick and boring over a full breakfast. This would generally be my first choice. It is definitely large enough to handle your group, but you will need to get reservations early because this is a place that fills up. They have on-line reservations, which is another plus. Other than these places, Moab has all the chains. The Miata group was in town last weekend, and they filled up the Best Western, so we got bumped into some secondary places. I ended up at Motel 6, which was cheap, but everything was nailed down and they did not provide toiletries. Since it was just me, I bought some shampoo and was glad to have a cheap place to stay.

I should add that I never am in charge of hotel reservations. I decide where I want to stay, make my reservation, and then advise everyone who is attending where I plan to stay and a set of options. I am very clear I am not running a travel agency and I provide no services for those attending. Everyone is on their own.

We had a great meal at the Red Cliffs Lodge, which has a deck overlooking the Colorado River. It is about 14 miles out from Moab. We had a 6:00 reservation so we could beat the rush and have plenty of light for enjoying the view. It was great, and we actually were driving back into town with the lingering light just before dusk (about 8:30). Surprisingly, the prices are very moderate at this restaurant. Here is a link to the restaurant site:
http://redcliffslodge.com/restaurant/indiv...dual-dining.htm

We also had a great meal at the Desert Bistro. I think they have a large room in the basement that can handle big parties. It is relatively expensive. I think we ended up at around $60 a head for this particular dinner. It is a really nice place, however, and the food was wonderful. Here is their website:
http://www.desertbistro.com/

We also had a dinner at the Sunset Grill. It has a great view of the valley. Food is acceptable, the service is fine. Generally a good place, nothing remarkable about it and their parking lot is a nightmare.

You can find a good listing of restaurants on the Moab Travel Council site, which is on the links page of my website:
http://home.business.utah.edu/~mgtjwb/Tour...ab05/moab05.htm

We did the trip in a slightly different way in 2003, and also had a good time. Here is the link to that drive site:
http://home.business.utah.edu/~mgtjwb/Tour...moab/Moab03.htm

Hope this helps. You should definitely do the Needles Overlook and La Sal Loop. The drive to Colorado is a full day, but we were back in Moab by 4:30 for a 6:00 dinner reservation, so everyone had time to shower and get ready for dinner. It was a great day, but I know not all groups are into the extended driving.

Have a great time.
VegasRacer
I got the shrits I ordered for the Route 66 Classic today. I am pleased with the results. Their service was excellent. They even delivered them ahead of schedule.

We can get just about anything we want from them for the Red Rock Classic: T-shirts, Polo shirts, Sweats, Ring T's, Baseball jerseys, long sleeve, short sleeve, etc. Prices will be from $10 - $20 each depending on the base shirt and how many colors we use, and if we have printing on only one side or both.

What ever style of shirt we choose, I strongly suggest we get the best quality one they offer. I would like to have something other than a standard t-shirt.

24 people ordered a total of 35 shirts for the Route 66 Classic. 90% of them were not even going to the event. I am confident we can sell 50+ for the RRC. Probably more if we offer really nice shirts at a good price.
VegasRacer
The Red Rock Classic is now the next big event on the 914 calendar. It is just over 3 months away. This might be the right time to start a '100 days countdown' thread to generate interest. Be sure to mention that a running 914 is not necessary. These events are more about the people and the passion.

We had a smaller than expected turn out for the Route 66 Classic. I don't know what we could have done differently to attract more people. That being said, all of us who did make it had a fantastic time. A good plan and a few 914 Club members are all that are necessary for success.

Many people will wait until the last minute to get their cars ready. A month before the event you should have a good idea on how many will be there. Expect a few to drop out and a few less to jump in after that.

What do we still need to do?
VegasRacer
Hello Hello Hello Hello
Is anybody out there? This makes 3 post in a row for me, and nothing from anybody else in almost a month. Do we have a host hotel yet? People are going to need to make reservations if we all want to be able to stay at the same place. Don't we need to go public with this event soon if we are going to give other members time to plan to come? We have a little momentum from the Route 66 Classic last weekend. Somebody? Anybody? Gint? Eric? Brant?
VegasRacer
sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif unsure.gif mad.gif blink.gif idea.gif sad.gif confused24.gif headbang.gif huh.gif
VegasRacer
pain30.gif pain30.gif pain30.gif
Eric_Shea
Heeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre's Eric!

Sorry John,

Didn't see the posts. OK. I had the host hotel call back but nothing firmed up on this end. This is my fault. I'll try to catch up with them this afternoon and report back.

Next. I have a couple of dinning spots lined up but I think we need to finalize a schedule first to make certain that we will be able to be in a certain spot at a certain time.

So... Hotels I can do. Schedule; I believe we have a loose schedule posted here. Any thoughts on that especially after reading Jack's e-mail? Please read through Jack's e-mail as he does this often and well.

Due in whole to the nature of the 914club I doubt if we'll be having any high buck dinners but we can shuffle things around as we see fit.

Brant, Joe... weigh in here. I'm off to call the hotel back.

Eric
VegasRacer
Just to be clear - is this the tennative schedule we are still working with?
Friday
Registration - Hotel TBD
Lunch - TBD
Scenic Drive - Hwy. 128 Along the Colorado
Meet and Greet - Hotel TBD
Dinner - Restaurant TBD

Saturday
Rise and Shine Car Show - Hotel TBD
Arches National Park - Drive to Devils Garden Trail
Lunch at Arches - Devils Garden Picnic Area (we'll need to arrange a box lunch)
Delicate Arch Hike - Delicate Arch (lots of water needed)
Awards Dinner - Restaurant TBD

Sunday
Breakfast - Hotel TBD
Scenic Drive - Canyonlands Overlook
Lunch - Restaurant TBD (Slickrock Cafe?)
Farewell

I did read both threads again. There were a lot of good drives and nice places to eat mentioned. I don't think there are any bad choices. Same for host hotels. Just pick one a go with it. I am sure it will be fine.

Right now, the important thing is to decide on a plan and make it public.
We need to give people time to commit to attend.
There are only 98 days until the event. w00t.gif
VegasRacer
About all I can do from here right now is try to get others motivated.
My other assigned task is the shirts.
Here are what I think are our best choices:
(see attached photo)
T-shirt ** Ring-T
Polo Shirt ** Baseball Jersey
Long Sleeve T-shirt ** Sweat Shirt
(all are 100% cotton, except the Sweat Shirt which is 50/50 poly/cotton)
Most of them are available in White, Ash and Grey.
Some also come in Sand or Natural (plus many other barf.gif colors).
The Ring-T or Baseball Jersey would be in white with red trim (or black?).
Any of these could be produced for $15 or less with a two color design on the back and a 1 color logo on the front breast. I like Eric's idea.
the full monte on the back and a clean pocket logo with the kokopelli, arch and teener
I am sure Jeroen could provide the perfect design.

My vote is for either the Polo Shirt or the Baseball Jersey.
3rd choice is the Sweat Shirt. (How cold will it be in Moab in Sept?)
Give me some feedback and I will take it to the next step.
Eric_Shea
Here's a "small" update to the schedule:

Friday
Registration - Archway Inn
Lunch - On your own.
Scenic Drive - Hwy. 128 Along the Colorado
Dinner - Restaurant Red Cliffs Lodge
Meet and Greet - Hotel Archway Inn

Saturday
Rise and Shine Car Show - Archway Inn Parking Lot
Arches National Park - Drive to Devils Garden Trail
Lunch at Arches - Devils Garden Picnic Area (we'll need to arrange a box lunch)
Delicate Arch Hike - Delicate Arch (lots of water needed)
Awards Dinner - Brew Pub #2

Sunday
Breakfast - Hotel Archway Inn
Scenic Drive - Canyonlands Overlook
Lunch - Restaurant TBD (Slickrock Cafe?)
Farewell
Eric_Shea
Hotel is "not" confirmed yet. She will get back with me today.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jun 17 2005, 06:42 AM)
Hotel is "not" confirmed yet.  She will get back with me today.

And ???? confused24.gif
Do we have a place to party in the parking lot all night long sleep quietly?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.