Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB -6 mufflers in stainless
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mb911
Ready to boxed and shipped.Click to view attachment
mb911
All the mufflers are being shipped today except one. We believe that there will fit as intended. Please note that the stainless is very soft until heat cycled so things will move around during install. This also allows for tweaks if need be..
Dion
Excellent, This makes a great Christmas present! Thanks Ben.
mb911
QUOTE(Dion @ Dec 14 2017, 06:33 AM) *

Excellent, This makes a great Christmas present! Thanks Ben.

I am happy to have them completed. Laser cutting etc took forever and allot of back and forth on fitting..

Now next project engine sheet metal..
Dion
One question Ben. Where the hell do you find the energy and motivation? Cause if your
interested in selling some I’m in. Hehehe.
Good on ya!
mb911
Dion,

Just trying to fill a small niche.. Engine sheet metal non oem is needed. The RD stuff is wonderful but I can't afford it.
davehg
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 14 2017, 02:31 PM) *

Dion,

Just trying to fill a small niche.. Engine sheet metal non oem is needed. The RD stuff is wonderful but I can't afford it.

Would love a set of engine tins for the 2.7! Powder coated black please!!!
11tenths
914/6 GT muffler support bracket- the final touch to your excellant product (and all the other 6 conversions using porsche-style mufflers- cha-ching!)

Thanks to PBase.com's great resource:

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/23484694

-Harry

porschetub
QUOTE(11tenths @ Dec 16 2017, 10:09 AM) *

914/6 GT muffler support bracket- the final touch to your excellant product (and all the other 6 conversions using porsche-style mufflers- cha-ching!)

Thanks to PBase.com's great resource:

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/23484694

-Harry

agree.gif great part for Ben to make,however where do you find a pattern for this very rare item confused24.gif .
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 11 2017, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 10 2017, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 23 2017, 04:07 AM) *

This was from the fellow in Europe who recently hand built his 904 replica.

That's the one I have started to make ,I want to get rid of the normal hanger support
if the stock muffler (heavy) is supported on its own should be fine ,my headers are very solid.
BTW nice work on the mufflers Ben ,do you intend to go into production ?.

I agree, your headers are solid. Do you think the headers being that strong and the additional weight of the heater boxes might put more stress on the exhaust studs. The hanger would help to eliminate movement at the ends that might torque the flanges.

Don't have heaterbox's and my headers are made of heavy wall tubing,the 914/6GT bracket worked for that car and I think it a good setup.
Larmo63
There was a very talented member here who supplied mine. I don't know if he is still making them. sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
11tenths
I believe you're referring to "He of the wrinkled pastel shirt": Eric.

The brackets and those expensive Geze clamps were briefly listed in PMB's catalog several years ago.

-Harry
mb911
QUOTE(11tenths @ Dec 15 2017, 09:11 PM) *

I believe you're referring to "He of the wrinkled pastel shirt": Eric.

The brackets and those expensive Geze clamps were briefly listed in PMB's catalog several years ago.

-Harry

Yes Eric told who made them and the gentleman is no longer interested in making them.
live free & drive
This other page on AJ's P-Base site gets a bit closer to the part needed:

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/rally_muffler_...et_reproduction

Jon
mb911
Looks really easy if I had dimensions I could make one.
GeorgeRud
There is a photo showing the dimensions on phases site, but it’s too fuzzy to make out the dimensions. A higher resolution picture would clearly show the actual dimensions.
Cairo94507
I have always liked that GT muffler strap look. I may have to have one of those kits in the event I order another muffler in the GT option......you never know.
mb911
I might mess with a version of this over the next few weeks.. I need to get a factory mount for the muffler then just extrapolate the info for a bracket..
11tenths
Ben- you should make this a term project for your students...

idea.gif aktion035.gif

-HB
mb911
QUOTE(11tenths @ Dec 16 2017, 10:25 AM) *

Ben- you should make this a term project for your students...

idea.gif aktion035.gif

-HB

Lol not gonna do that conflict of interest.. But I will build some.. Gotta a guy full time now.
porschetub
QUOTE(live free & drive @ Dec 17 2017, 03:40 AM) *

This other page on AJ's P-Base site gets a bit closer to the part needed:

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/rally_muffler_...et_reproduction

Jon

Wow thanks for that ,been on AJ's site many times and missed that,rather simple design and easy to make...excellent beer.gif .
Steve
Spent the day installing my new muffler. Multiple trips to the hardware store to jury rig a 911 muffler hanger onto my 914-6 muffler hanger. It's good enough for now. If someone makes something better, I will swap it out.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mb911
Happy to see one mounted up and on..
Dion
It’ll be spring before I get to hear this sing!
But, just want to say thanks Ben.
Nice craftsmanship. Chomping at the bit now...
mb911
QUOTE(Dion @ Dec 18 2017, 03:15 PM) *

It’ll be spring before I get to hear this sing!
But, just want to say thanks Ben.
Nice craftsmanship. Chomping at the bit now...

Glad it made it there safely.
GeorgeRud
I worry whether the extended studs on the muffler hanger might cause the transmission tailpiece to eventually crack at their insertion boss. Though most of the weight is held by the muffler hanger, the weight at the top may be a concern. The muffler and exhaust extensions look great.
campbellcj
I have an earlier product of Ben's which spends time on my '914R' car when it's not running open megaphones for track. I've been using the stock (AA repro specifically) type hanger bracket and would not recommend simply hanging this big can off your headers/exchangers with no support.

I'd rather have a better setup more -6/GT specific and am interested in anyone sourcing or reproducing those parts. My car is running 'long' headers though not the shorter GT type which use an extension to attach a muffler.

FWIW I also had the area on the muffler where the inlet pipes enter the 'can' reinforced as a precaution.
mb911
Ordered a 2.0 bracket yesterday so I can mock up a GT style mount.. Will get some done asap.
Cairo94507
OK - I guess I am just not hitting on all cylinders here. A stock Six muffler attaches at the heat exchanger flanges and all that supports it are the 4 bolts, right? Ben's muffler should be much lighter in stainless steel than a stock muffler -I think. Are the GT straps more for additional safety? Are they really needed on a street driven car? Personally, I really like the looks of the 2 straps on the muffler....but is it necessary?

Additionally, I believe we will be ceramic coating my (Ben's) heat exchangers and muffler - to make them appear a bit more "stock" than the SS finish. At least that is what we are talking about.
mb911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 22 2017, 09:56 AM) *

OK - I guess I am just not hitting on all cylinders here. A stock Six muffler attaches at the heat exchanger flanges and all that supports it are the 4 bolts, right? Ben's muffler should be much lighter in stainless steel than a stock muffler -I think. Are the GT straps more for additional safety? Are they really needed on a street driven car? Personally, I really like the looks of the 2 straps on the muffler....but is it necessary?

Additionally, I believe we will be ceramic coating my (Ben's) heat exchangers and muffler - to make them appear a bit more "stock" than the SS finish. At least that is what we are talking about.

Stainless can work harden and just feel it best if supported like a 911

Then no breaking..

Michael make sure you test fit everything before coating. Once its coated its hard to change anything.
Cairo94507
Good point. Will do.
11tenths
The Leistritz sport muffler on my 6 conv was starting to crack where the tubes joined the can- think of the leverage at that point with 'spirited' driving.

Personally, I'm looking forward to "Ben's Bracket".

beer3.gif

Cheers- Harry
Steve
My muffler extension is 1.5”. I needed that much clearance for the previous Triad muffler. With this muffler I only need a 1/2” to clear the back up light switch on my 916 gearbox. I ordered a couple of muffler flanges, to replace the 1.5” spacer. With that setup I should be able to move the muffler mount and straps closer to the trans for a more solid setup.
Steve
Update for people that might use this muffler with Martin Botts 916 kit. I replaced the 1.5" spacer with a 3/8" flange. Between the 3/8" flange and gasket, I moved the muffler back an inch towards the trans. I only needed a 1/2" to clear the backup light switch on the Martin Bott 916 trans cover. The upper muffler mount is now also much stronger.
The exhaust pipe still exits the valence good enough. I might change my mind someday and add a chrome tip.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914Toy
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 2 2018, 07:36 AM) *

Update for people that might use this muffler with Martin Botts 916 kit. I replaced the 1.5" spacer with a 3/8" flange. Between the 3/8" flange and gasket, I moved the muffler back an inch towards the trans. I only needed a 1/2" to clear the backup light switch on the Martin Bott 916 trans cover. The upper muffler mount is now also much stronger.
The exhaust pipe still exits the valence good enough. I might change my mind someday and add a chrome tip.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Looking good beerchug.gif
mb911
Looks good.. Now I need to market them..
Cairo94507
Count me in for one please Ben. Definitely don't want to see any cracks in that beautiful muffler. beerchug.gif
campbellcj
FWIW here's a pic showing the stainless reinforcements my mechanic added as a precaution several years ago. Vibration and heat are constant threats to reliability and durability, as this is a very stiff, high-revving track car with obviously some parts being 45 years old now.

Click to view attachment
mb911
Here is the bracket finally.. Gotta get them laser cut and its just slipped in there for the pictures but works just fine for band straps to fit around. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Great!
Dion
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 6 2018, 07:57 AM) *

Oh yes! Count me in for one of those. Very nice.
Steve
Me too!! I’m guessing we won’t need the stock muffler/header hanger if we use this one?
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 6 2018, 09:20 AM) *

Me too!! I’m guessing we won’t need the stock muffler/header hanger if we use this one?

Correct..
JmuRiz
Looks great, I'm in for one too!
Luke M
Hi Ben,

Would the ss bracket fit the factory muffler or just yours ?

mb911
QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 6 2018, 03:08 PM) *

Hi Ben,

Good question. I am not sure. I built them for my mufflers and don't have an oem one to try it on.. I could easily make them for the oem mufflers as well though.
11tenths
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 7 2018, 07:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 6 2018, 03:08 PM) *

Hi Ben,

Good question. I am not sure. I built them for my mufflers and don't have an oem one to try it on.. I could easily make them for the oem mufflers as well though.

Now we're talkin'!

Much bigger market IMHO...

chowtime.gif

- Harry
mb911
Brackets will be ready early next week. Will powdercoat black. There will be a light weight one for 35 and heavy duty 45.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 4 2018, 12:07 PM) *

Brackets will be ready early next week. Will powdercoat black. There will be a light weight one for 35 and heavy duty 45.

2 questions - Are they stainless steel. Do you have a good source for straps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.