Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Been a while since I've shared any 3D model work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
euro911
Awesome talent you possess aktion035.gif
Optimusglen
Hey guys, finally some more 914 stuff worth sharing.

I made a new Fuchs model.

IPB Image

So I put them on a narrow body 914

IPB Image

The color is called Yellow Ochre, not a factory color.

IPB Image
JC 914-73
Speechless, awesome work ! pray.gif
How long would it take to get to this level of work from just starting to learn 3D modelling?
Optimusglen
QUOTE(JC 914-73 @ Jul 23 2019, 02:28 PM) *

Speechless, awesome work ! pray.gif
How long would it take to get to this level of work from just starting to learn 3D modelling?

It all depends on your ability to pick up new software and which software or modeling style you're doing. For a truly gifted individual it could be a matter of months, for someone else it could be years and years. It also depends on your learning style, some people can watch a tutorial for something and pick up all the key points, or someone like me just has to mess around with the software to slowly uncover new capabilities.

There are some shortcuts so start making some decent looking stuff. A program called Blender is a good first step for someone who has no background. It's free, pretty capable, and there are a lot of tutorials online. Bonus is that there are models available that you can purchase to give you something to play around with that doesn't require you to model an entire car for your first experience. I don't use bender, but I've seen beginners have good luck with it.
JC 914-73
Thx for the feed back Glen, may be there is hope. I played with SilidWorks a bit and modelled a brake rotor and some other simple stuff. I tried building a tube airframe but was not successful and kind of gave up. I even thought of taking a night class at a local tech college but can't justify the cost since this is just a hobby thing. May be I'll try the software you mentioned.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(JC 914-73 @ Jul 23 2019, 03:10 PM) *

Thx for the feed back Glen, may be there is hope. I played with SilidWorks a bit and modelled a brake rotor and some other simple stuff. I tried building a tube airframe but was not successful and kind of gave up. I even thought of taking a night class at a local tech college but can't justify the cost since this is just a hobby thing. May be I'll try the software you mentioned.

yeah, Solidworks is an engineering type software (as is my main software, Creo) which definitely has advantages in some areas, but big disadvantages in others if you're not actually building models that are to be used in engineering or production. They call these "nurbs" models.

Blender is a polygon model program, the process is quicker in many ways if you're just looking to make cool things and create pictures of them.
JC 914-73
Thx Glen, will definitely look up Blender
Cairo94507
Outstanding work. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
Optimusglen
At last, the 2.0 Fuchs are done.

IPB Image
euro911
Just noticed something ... missing the rear valance poke.gif

rolleyes.gif
Optimusglen
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 25 2019, 01:27 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

haha, yeah. The item I dislike most about the 914. You couldn't pay me to put on on.

Well, you could. it'd just be a lot. tongue.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jul 25 2019, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 25 2019, 01:27 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

haha, yeah. The item I dislike most about the 914. You couldn't pay me to put on on.

Well, you could. it'd just be a lot. tongue.gif

Tough crowd around here...but not as tough as our sessions! wink.gif

Funny about the valance thing. I only like flared cars without the rear valance, narrow cars need them to my eyes for some reason I can't put my finger on.
Optimusglen
I can't count how many times I've redone the CAD for my flared 914 model. Each time getting a bit closer. Here's my latest version, fronts are looking pretty good here, rears still need some massaging but it's coming along.

IPB Image
euro911
Astounding drooley.gif
falcor75
That looks so damn real its annoying.... smile.gif
Optimusglen
haha, thanks guys.

Had a chance to work on the rear flares some more as well as a few other details.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Optimusglen
progress on the Brumos car

IPB Image
GTSandberg
No doubt, the best 3D representation og the 914 ever! Devil is in the details first.gif .
Only thing not looking 100% realistic is the panel gaps especially around the pop up lights.. they are far to perfect biggrin.gif .
Optimusglen
Haha, the gaps around the lights was brought up before at one point, I even purposely misaligned the pop-up covers a little to make it more realistic. Maybe I need to misalign them a bit more.
GTSandberg
I think its fine. Something for us real life builders to strive for biggrin.gif
Optimusglen
More updates!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And yes, I don't think the Porsche letters are on the engine lids of the real life counterparts of these cars. It's just my absolute favorite design element of the 914 and I refuse* to show one without them.

*unless it's for a client and they're giving me money, haha.
raynekat
Awesome as ever.
I'd lose a bunch of money betting that these were real photos.
They're that realistic.
Amazing....
rgalla9146
Wow....
Uniquecoaches
Absolutely Amazing.
Optimusglen
I started working up a model after the #40 car, coincidentally news of it's new ownership broke the day after I posted this on my Instagram account.

IPB Image

Details on mine aren't right on, wheel size/offsets for one, but I feel like it gets 90% there.

I also revisited my engine model and wrapped up the oil pump as well as a few other components. Still a lot to go if I want it to be complete...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
euro911
I like the hover-board effect biggrin.gif
Mueller
Requesting a 914 version of the Ferrari Monza SP2 smile.gif
Optimusglen
haha, I don't do Ferrari often, here's my last. Hope you guys can pick up on the reference.

IPB Image

I reworked some of the materials on the engine model. Trying to get a worn finish on the case specifically, but also just some texture on other parts to increase realism.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I think it looks pretty cool, but it looks like a scale model. (coincidentally, I bought a 3D printer and am going to print off a 1/4 scale engine)

The crowd I run with in 3D rendering are phenomenal, making things that look 100% real, even to the trained professional eye. I'm still nowhere near that level yet, and part of me doesn't want to pursue it at all.
Spoke
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 27 2020, 08:43 PM) *

haha, I don't do Ferrari often, here's my last. Hope you guys can pick up on the reference.

Jack up the back of the car, put it in reverse, start the car and watch the miles roll off of the odometer. Nice one Ferris.
Optimusglen
Just in case anyone is looking for a new desktop background.

IPB Image

extra large version here.
http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/4994428...5bf9ecd8_4k.jpg
pete000
Looking great, sell them on Turbo Squid !
Optimusglen
Posting again because the last one got clipped on the previous page.

Just in case anyone is looking for a new desktop background.

IPB Image

extra large version here.
http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/4994428...5bf9ecd8_4k.jpg
raynekat
The realism is mind blowing....
Vysoc
You are truly incredible, thank you so much for the inspiration.

Time to get back to my project, makes my Zenith's look really cool.

I also think the trailing roof spoiler/wing has some definite merit. A little extension on the Single Cab VW roofline would also be cool!

Keep the idea's flowing!!!!

Thanks again for sharing!

Vysoc flag.gif
bahnzai
Click to view attachment

Glen, I was not sure where to post these for the most viewers, but I finally got these framed. Thanks again for the great artwork!
I will really enjoy them.
bahnzai
Click to view attachment
rjames
Just discovered this thread. Breathtaking!

rgalla9146
As usual. Spectacular.
Optimusglen
It's been a few years, but I'm still hammering away at it.

I did a set of rendered images for last year's WCR, this view in a number of 914 colors

IPB Image

I'm still working up some custom bits for my own car

IPB Image

The molds for these flares are in my garage, waiting for warmer weather.

IPB Image

And I've also made some headway on developing a 914 3D configurator!! (link in my signature) Currently beta testing, but it's been something I've been working towards for quite some time. No intention of stepping on any toes for the visualizer that's out there.

IPB Image

All my latest here
Optimusglen
A while back I had modeled up the chassis dolly detailed on Pbase.com here
A few edits on the details, and hardware/wheels downloaded from McMaster.

So I decided to run off a couple of views of it.

I'll need to do some chassis work on my real car eventually, but I think I'll probably go for a rotisserie...

IPB Image

IPB Image
tygaboy
Such ridiculously great work. I could look at it all day. w00t.gif pray.gif wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.