Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Been a while since I've shared any 3D model work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Optimusglen
I messed around with the 914 model some more, added a GT bumper up front, some different fogs, and played with the sail trim without the vinyl. I kinda dig the look when paired with a metallic color. Oh, and some talbot style mirrors.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Optimusglen
Added the fan pulley, and got a start on the carbs. LOTs of features still to add for the carbs.

IPB Image
raynekat
To me, you could put together a nice little soft cover book with all these drawings in it. I'd buy it. Very cool.
raynekat
Or get together with someone making a DIY repair manual...you supply the drawings/diagrams.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 8 2017, 06:13 PM) *

To me, you could put together a nice little soft cover book with all these drawings in it. I'd buy it. Very cool.

That would be cool
Optimusglen
Other color ways, and flipped the lid up.

IPB Image

And an almost all black engine...

IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Nov 9 2017, 06:49 AM) *

Other color ways, and flipped the lid up.

And an almost all black engine...

the all black engine is cool, sorta like a special outlaw build type motor.
Optimusglen
Did some more design work on my outlaw model, certainly not for everyone but it's been fun making a hotrod.

No plans to make any of this, since most of it would be useless in the real world. But it's been fun seeing where the boundaries are from a design standpoint, stepped over a few times and reined it back a little, still pushing strong at that boundary though so if you're a purist, or pretend to be one, you're assuredly going to dislike it. Even if you're not a purist, these design elements have proven to not be everyone's taste.

That's ok.

Now that that's out of the way, lets get into it!

Up front, I created a new turn signal lens and bucket incorporating a new vent to funnel air to the front brakes. Fender vents are unchanged.

IPB Image

Changed the lugs to studs, and added some Michelin branding (not a sponsor) as well.

Out back I started playing around with a modern tail light assembly. These also incorporate small side vents and also use some lighting techniques seen on modern cars.

IPB Image

The roof spoiler remains unchanged, but I added a second purpose of supporting the front wheel of a bicycle! Haha.

IPB Image

The rear part of the rack is just roughed in currently, but you get the idea.

Then I played around with a few colors.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Krieger
drooley.gif
falcor75
Those rear quarter air intakes would be perfect for doing a Boxster engine conversion.
mb911
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 16 2017, 10:22 PM) *

Those rear quarter air intakes would be perfect for doing a Boxster engine conversion.

agree.gif

Though I would love to incorporate that into my build.. Oil tank is an issue though on my car..
Optimusglen
IPB Image
Optimusglen
Added some more design features, this one is definitely on the wild side.

IPB Image
raynekat
One could sell a few of those front lower valence/spoilers.
Looks incredible.

Front turn signal lens look great as well.
Larmo63
I love the roof spoiler idea if it was done right. It could actually bolt up underneath the targa bar into the six ski rack holes.

jim912928
Maybe there is room in the 2018 914 calendar for a few of these?
Amenson
Glen,
Check your PM's.

Cheers,
Scott
Optimusglen
I got some time to start hashing out the Zenith carbs, one side of the carburetor coming along nicely, the other side not started yet.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Mueller
pray.gif

Are you using hand tools to measure or a scanner? Great work as usual.

Optimusglen
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 24 2017, 12:09 PM) *

pray.gif

Are you using hand tools to measure or a scanner? Great work as usual.

All hand tools. I did get a quote to rent a scanner, more for the engine case, but the cost to do so is too much for my blood even with the 20% discount that would come from them sharing my work on social media. Way too much for a hobby when my real engine sucks up all my money.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Nov 23 2017, 11:29 AM) *

Maybe there is room in the 2018 914 calendar for a few of these?

I'd love to see any of my stuff in the calendar (or future calendars) for 914World. I don't push it much because it's not a real car and really isn't everyone's cup-o-tea. But, if whoever is putting it together wants it, I'd be happy to send a higher resolution image.

Little bit more work on the 914, lots of completely original design elements. Seeing the rendered images with the flares as separate parts makes me want to go this route instead of welding them on. We'll see...

I opted for a classic Michelin tire letter style, dropped the roof spoiler for this one but kept my RSR side and fender scoops. Also kept my modern signals and tails with integrated scoops.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Optimusglen
Some narrow body versions, new steel wheels but they're not quite done yet. I need to adjust the sizing and offset I think.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Optimusglen
Added wide steelies, and some motion squiggles. With the squiggles I wanted to have a driver of some sort, so I snagged a bust online and tossed it in.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Optimusglen
More on the carbs, been really cool to get up close and personal with all of the stuff that you usually just clean and assemble.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I don't have modeled screw threads on most of the stuff that uses threads, mostly because it takes so much more time to create/export/render. Once the model is done I'll be going back and adding the threads as a bump map on the surfaces that need it. For now you get smooth cylinders going into smooth cylinders.

I realize that by now a lot of the purists don't even look at this thread anymore so they don't get to see the stuff I do for the engine. So for the rest of you, enjoy!!
Cairo94507
Well I love your work! beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
Looks great to me as well..
jd74914
Awesome carb render!!
rudedude
Looks great Glen! Cool designs and thinking
Jule
Optimusglen
Thank you!!!

More work on the carbs, floats are in as well as the lower portion of the airbox. Still some details to add to the airbox
IPB Image

From above as clay.
IPB Image

and from the side as clay
IPB Image

I was able to find a basic model online for the trans. This is more of a place holder until I can make my own since this is supposed to be a 930 trans.
mb911
Looking cool.. Looks like allot of time to draw to this point..

I wonder if you might be able to improve my oil tank drawings if I sent you one?
Optimusglen
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 10 2017, 11:48 AM) *

I wonder if you might be able to improve my oil tank drawings if I sent you one?

Yeah I could probably do that.

Added these clips this evening.

IPB Image
raynekat
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Dec 11 2017, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 10 2017, 11:48 AM) *

Yeah I could probably do that.

Added these clips this evening.

IPB Image

At some point, I hope you'll offer all of these drawings for purchase????
I think you could sell T-shirts, coffee table books with a bunch of these prints in them, etc, etc.
Mueller
I like the screw slot orientation being the same.
Optimusglen
Had a bit more time this evening so I started on some other bits.

IPB Image
Optimusglen
Can you imagine how slow this tow rig would be? hahaha I made the trailer myself, the VW is just a download, kinda low quality.

IPB Image
ValcoOscar
You have MAD SKILLS my friend, truly admire your talent and vision.

My current Rally project is based off one of your renderings.

pray.gif

Oscar

Mueller
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Dec 13 2017, 01:50 PM) *

Can you imagine how slow this tow rig would be? hahaha I made the trailer myself, the VW is just a download, kinda low quality.

IPB Image

Too neat, that would make a cool picture/poster for the office or garage.
theer
Yep - it would be verrrry slow. I towed my '72 914 shell with my VW bus from So Cal to New York back in the day... with a tow-bar.

that picture is neat.. actually doing it, was not.

Porcharu
You make my work look like POOP. Well done sir. Those images are going onto my screen saver at work to get me motivated to work on the car again.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Oct 20 2017, 06:48 AM) *

I've been playing around with some design concepts on the 914. Functionally, I know it's all wrong, either not needed or pulls air in the wrong direction. That's ok, it's a concept, I'm not an aero expert nor do I claim to be. This is to just get conversations started, and to get this idea on paper instead of it stuck in my brain.

Ok, just had to get my defense out before the attacks. It's not something for the purists.

IPB Image

On top of the GT-esq flares I added fender vents similar to the 991 RS's. Then I made a roof spoiler for it, I've been toying with this idea since I bought my 914. The design idea anyway, I didn't want to actually build one until I finished this rendering. Finally I added some side vents, might actually replace some of the air that the spoiler is sucking out of the bay, probably not enough though.

Regardless, hope you guys like it. If not, that's ok.

There is no reward without risk.
Your imagination and skill are outstanding.
Don't apologize, keep them coming, they're all beautiful.
The overhead with the roof spoiler and vented fenders is fantastic.
Optimusglen
Thank you, I appreciate the kind words.

IPB Image
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Dec 19 2017, 06:50 AM) *

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words.

Now...that's a poster I'd love hanging on my wall one day.

Perfectooo....

smilie_pokal.gif

Oscar
Optimusglen
still a lot of parts to add tongue.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Dec 19 2017, 09:17 AM) *

still a lot of parts to add tongue.gif

Remove 2 cylinders and you'd have another market with the Polo engine guys!
gereed75
way cool. almost enough to motivate me to abandon my real six and build a conversion hot rod! just so i could modify without remorse. thanks

i am sure that this work could earn some bucks for providing graphics to vendors in the porsche world.
Optimusglen
The current state of the engine (read: unfinished) along with a wide 914.

IPB Image
sb914
That's freaking awesome! You're the man !
siverson
Very impressive.

And I think that bus has a 3.6 in it so it shouldn't be a problem! smile.gif

-Steve
Cairo94507
Extremely nice work.
raynekat
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Dec 19 2017, 10:03 AM) *

The current state of the engine (read: unfinished) along with a wide 914.

IPB Image

It just gets better and better.....awesome work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.