Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Been a while since I've shared any 3D model work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Optimusglen
Progress on my 2.2T build for my 914 has slowed a bit due to funding. So I was able to take that effort and begin a project that I've wanted to do for months.

I'm 3D modeling the whole engine. Model work is done using Creo, the images rendered using Keyshot. Started on a few of the easier parts, well maybe not the easiest, but together they make up a large chunk of the engine and a big push of progress at the beginning helps the project move along.

I'm modeling these from actual parts, on my dining room table. Which is another reason I started with these particular parts, they're already cleaned.

Anyway, here's the first shot. More progress later in the week because I'll have a bit of time, but this is an open ended project. It gets work when I can.

IPB Image
mb911
I would have to talk to the guys at work but probably could have the students machine them in class for free if you wanted Glen? At least you would have a hard sample. We have 35 brand new cncs at work..
GeorgeRud
An accurate model would be amazing to see and build! Would 3D printing (or Ben's suggestion of CNC machining) be reasonable possibilities?

I love these folk's talents!
DavidSweden
Nice work. I have modeled in 3D myself (although it was a few years ago) so I can appreciate the work you have put into it. I also have a 2.2 motor that going into my 914.
Have you posted pictures of your build on another thread?
Optimusglen
I've been modeling with the plan of 3d printing, unfortunately these models wouldn't fare too well being machined, even at 1:1 scale, less so at the smaller scales I was planning.

I do have my build being documented here
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...slippery++slope
raynekat
Count me in for one of your posters.

Maybe some cool T shirts as well?
Mueller
Impressive work there!
Optimusglen
Thanks for the interest!
PanelBilly
https://flatsixfanatics.com/products/porsch...scale-model-kit

Not the same but looks like a fun toy.
Retroracer
This is very cool. That's the same engine I have in my M471 tribute car; would definitely be up for a poster / T shirt
Optimusglen
Little progress today, continuing with the easier stuff. I also started the cam carrier for cylinders 1/2/3 but that's in it's infancy so no pics.

IPB Image
Cairo94507
That is really cool. beerchug.gif
Optimusglen
Thanks guys, finally got a lot more done on the cam housings, lots of features... These aren't 100% nearly impossible to get that with all of the internal stuff, but it's a representation anyway.

More to go.

IPB Image

IPB Image
11tenths
I'm lov'in this!

Keep em coming.

Cheers- Harry
raynekat
These would all.make great posters (I'll take a half dozen right now) or T shirts. biggrin.gif
rudedude
Glen,

Really nice work! And thanks for the 914 blueprint, its almost too nice for the garage.

Jule
DaveO90s4
I love this stuff and this technology.

Had an interesting experience yesterday. Went to the dentist for a crown. Now they have a tiny little 3D camera 'wand' that they 'wave around' over the remaining part of the tooth, and over the opposing tooth, and it produces a rotatable 3D image of both that can very easily be edited 'just so' and then the press 'print' and the milling machine next door starts to mill a ceramic block. 20 minutes later there is the perfect crown to be glued in. The 3D images are all in perfect crisp clear accurate colour too.

Now just imagine - waving that all over a piece of engine alloy and pressing print in a (much larger) milling machine.

Or maybe that us done already and I don't know about it.

Dave
Optimusglen
Update with valve covers and hardware.

IPB Image
mb911
Looking great just like the real thing.Click to view attachment
Optimusglen
More progress, a long way to go though.

IPB Image
Optimusglen
Had an open evening, so more progress.

You'll notice that in a lot of these the color/finish of the individual parts isn't exact. Each time I add to the model I make a new render file, and then I reassign colors to each part all over again. Because of this, I don't spend a ton of time honing the colors down. Once it's complete I'll get everything so that they look right but for now it's just WIP eye candy.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Krieger
These are so cool to look at!
Optimusglen
Another part added.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Optimusglen
small update on the model the engine will be going into...

IPB Image
Dr Evil
Oh man, this is my favorite kind of art. Well done!
Optimusglen
The two really needed to get together...

IPB Image
bretth
Very nice. Makes you wish you can just hit print (on giant imaginary metal printing 3d printer) - come back in a few hours and a nice new car and motor will be ready to go.
NeunEinVier
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Aug 27 2017, 10:15 AM) *
I'm 3D modeling the whole engine. Model work is done using Creo, the images rendered using Keyshot. Started on a few of the easier parts, well maybe not the easiest, but together they make up a large chunk of the engine and a big push of progress at the beginning helps the project move along.

This 3D modeling stuff boggles my mind, how can it even be done without having the original CAD files for each component? And doing it at home no less...
Optimusglen
QUOTE(NeunEinVier @ Oct 11 2017, 12:25 PM) *

This 3D modeling stuff boggles my mind, how can it even be done without having the original CAD files for each component? And doing it at home no less...

It's easier once you wrap your mind around the process. Think about modeling a square block, within the software you define where you want the block to be, typically a plane to start. Then you define how big you want the block in 2 of it's three dimensions, lets say 4 inches by 6 inches, then you define how big you want it in the third dimension, lets do 2 inches. This is called an extrude.

Click to view attachment

For a cylinder, your starting shape would be a doughnut instead of a rectangle

Click to view attachment

Each feature is broken down the same way, but piling these features on top of eachother makes the part more complex. Some features might be cuts instead of an extrude. Some might be revolves, where you define a center axis and a cross section and the shape is revolved around thew axis. Really complex stuff gets modeled as a set or surfaces, where you can merge and cut the surfaces, or sweep along curved edges. Now take that and multiply by infinity. Easy as cake.

tongue.gif
burton73
This is way to cool. Thanks for sharing your art with us. I love al art and find your work just as enjoyable is fine art. Maybe even more. Now there are people that do not get it but yo, let them eat cake.

Bob B
aktion035.gif
Mueller
I'm never posting my models again, you have raised the bar too high!
MartyYeoman
For someone who used to 3D model for a living, I salute you Sir!! smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Oct 11 2017, 01:04 PM) *

For someone who used to 3D model for a living, I salute you Sir!! smilie_pokal.gif

Play with Fusion 360 (free) yet? I still have Alibre yet I keep using Fusion due it being so darn easy (most of the time)
siverson
Wow, neat.

-Steve
iwanta914-6
Insane skills Glen!

Can you animate the engine?
Retroracer
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Oct 11 2017, 07:42 AM) *

The two really needed to get together...

IPB Image

So impressed with these virtual racers. Extremely cool technology and skills.

Now if you could just swap out the rear minilites for Fuchs, add the Cibies on the front, tweak the color a little, slap some go-faster stripes on....?

Click to view attachment
Optimusglen
I've been playing around with some design concepts on the 914. Functionally, I know it's all wrong, either not needed or pulls air in the wrong direction. That's ok, it's a concept, I'm not an aero expert nor do I claim to be. This is to just get conversations started, and to get this idea on paper instead of it stuck in my brain.

Ok, just had to get my defense out before the attacks. It's not something for the purists.

IPB Image

On top of the GT-esq flares I added fender vents similar to the 991 RS's. Then I made a roof spoiler for it, I've been toying with this idea since I bought my 914. The design idea anyway, I didn't want to actually build one until I finished this rendering. Finally I added some side vents, might actually replace some of the air that the spoiler is sucking out of the bay, probably not enough though.

Regardless, hope you guys like it. If not, that's ok.
9fourteen14
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Aug 27 2017, 10:15 AM) *

Progress on my 2.2T build for my 914 has slowed a bit due to funding. So I was able to take that effort and begin a project that I've wanted to do for months.

I'm modeling these from actual parts, on my dining room table. Which is another reason I started with these particular parts, they're already cleaned.

Once done I will be using the model to drive a large exploded poster of the engine, I'm also toying with the idea of 3D printing the components in scale form and offering them as a kit. That's pretty far down the line though.

Anyway, here's the first shot. More progress later in the week because I'll have a bit of time, but this is an open ended project. It gets work when I can.

IPB Image

this is truly AMAZING

wow I am so impressed....

how can I see these?

914 luva
Optimusglen
More progress today!

IPB Image
pete000
NICE !
infraredcalvin
This is way cool! I used somebody’s sketchup rendering to explore color ideas and simple add ons/deletions... yours takes it to a whole new level! Very nice, please keep sharing!
RickS
Very impressive. I salute your mad skills. Especially like your side intake prototype. Have always thought that Porsche should have placed a side intakes in the B pillar/targa roll bar to help channel air to the engine grill. Look forward to your next rendering.
Optimusglen
Thanks guys! Here's a rendering with a realistic background. The added design features definitely get a mixed reaction, that's kind of the point. Gotta push the boundaries a bit sometimes.

IPB Image

And another of the current status of the engine.

IPB Image
Optimusglen
Here's a quick edit you guys might like. I don't have the valves/springs/retainers etc in there yet, but the ports are there.

IPB Image

link to a high res if anyone wants a new desktop background
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4456/24116722...c87775dc3_o.jpg
defianty
Great work!
mb911

Looks great..
tygaboy
I've been toying with adding vents to my car and really like your design.
Would you be willing to share the measurements or some close up, detail views?
Either way, great stuff! pray.gif
Keep it coming.
Optimusglen
A few additions. Worked on getting the components done for the head assembly.

IPB Image

Then moved onto the intakes.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Optimusglen
Added some more detail to the engine lid

IPB Image
Cairo94507
OMG! When you get this done, I hope you can sell some prints. I would love to frame of those for my garage or office. Beautiful work. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.