Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug conversion advise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Leo Imperial
I got a line on a 83' complete front end.
The guy wants $600 for everything.
That includes calipers, struts, rotors, aluminum cross member.
The A-arm have the bottom mount for the bar and I have
a top mount, but I can attach (weld) the bracket on from what
I understand. Could I use the master cylinder from this car?
Should I bother with the rears also from this car?

So this is my situation. I have the cash, but I want to get the
right stuff and could save some if I get everything at once.

Any advise out there?
MattR
Thats a good deal- $600 for 5 lug suspension and A calipers and aluminum cross member. I'd jump on it.

The sway bar: engman on the board makes sway bar U Tabs

As far as master cylinder, I got a 19mm from pelicanparts.com . And the rear calipers on a 911 have no provision for a parking brake, so I think you'de have to go custom on that if you wanted to use the 911 caliper, which some say isnt even necessary.
scotty914
i just want to say not having a parking brake sucks, mine handle broke at the wcc and i really miss not having a parking brake. i will be fixing it soon
SLITS
"A" arms would have SC style underbody bar mount unless he changed them.

Oops, shoulda carefully read the post!
Leo Imperial
Thanks.
Now I think I am going to try and get him down to $500.
Leo Imperial
Hey Scott!

Just got off the phone.
Got him down to $500.
Anyone interested in a steering rack.
I don't think I will be using it.
skline
It would work on your car no question. I think 600 is a little high though. I think I would offer him 5 and see if he would take it. I see them all the time for less than that. We are 914 owners, if we start paying high prices for everything, we will be up with the pinky lifters very soon. I got my complete front end for $350.00 shipped. Mine is from a 71 however. The advantage you would have from an 83 is the 3.5 inch brake spacing. You could upgrade to the bigger brakes at any time. If it seems like a good deal to you, then go for it. I would highly suggest you replace the ball joints and tie rods when you install it and the wheel bearings and seals as well. That way you wont have any worries down the road and no questions in your mind if everything is ok. That is what I did and it is a good secure feeling.
skline
Oh, one more thing to complete your question, the M/C wont work for your car, the 83 had power brakes. Yours does not. Good try though.
Series9
If anyone knows of another set, I need these parts for the TurtleGirl project.
Leo Imperial
Everything gets replaced.
Powdercoating for thr A-arms and a new set of Mueller Bearings from the WCC.
I will post picks of the conversion and install of bearings.

I am getting ready to fall into the "Gotta have it ready by the WCC 06" catagory.
Leo Imperial
The turtle girl project is moving along to fast as it is!
Every time I see a post on parts i want, you already have them
on the way to you.
skline
Grind off the round sway bar bushing on the control arm and weld on the U tabs before you get it powder coated. It will save you a lot of grief and look way nicer with everything done. Are you going to do them in black? Or some custom color?
Leo Imperial
I was thinking of white or orange or black.
The orange is for Lemans Gulf porsche.
Gonna put orange stripes on the Olympic blue.
Not sure what the corect color code is for the orange.

Gotta run. I wanna make sure this guy doesn't change his mind.
Cash in hand!
SLITS
QUOTE (Leo Imperial @ May 22 2005, 11:25 AM)
Everything gets replaced.
Powdercoating for thr A-arms and a new set of Mueller Bearings from the WCC.
I will post picks of the conversion and install of bearings.

I am getting ready to fall into the "Gotta have it ready by the WCC 06" catagory.

Uh Oh.....he goin' to the ***gasp*** dark side...pinky lifter territory......

We lost another one biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
Sounds like you are on the right track Leo. I would leave the rear calipers stock 914 and keep your ebrake. If you need ot change that out later, that will be a little easier since modifying the rear hubs for 5 lug. 19MM master cylinder and ditch the proportioning valve.
Verruckt
$500 seems kind of high to me. Maybe its because I have a good source? idea.gif

Try and wiggle him down even more. OR...

Find a place that builds Pcar racers, and see what they want for a "take off" front end. $400 if it's in super shape would be good.
skline
QUOTE (Verruckt @ May 22 2005, 11:56 AM)
$500 seems kind of high to me. Maybe its because I have a good source? idea.gif

Try and wiggle him down even more. OR...

Find a place that builds Pcar racers, and see what they want for a "take off" front end. $400 if it's in super shape would be good.

Well, if you have a good source, get a hold of Joe (914RS) and let him know, he is looking for one right now.
Verruckt
Ok...

Yo Joe wavey.gif PM me your #
neo914-6
Leo,

I may be wrong but you can use your A-arms with the 911 struts but you would lose the larger 911 t-bars.

Sound like you're halfway there. What are you going to do on the rears? That takes more orchestration with the hubs/calipers/stub axles/axles/ebrake...

Easiest/least expensive/least prefered is adapters. The next is drilled hubs for 5 lug. Then widened stock calipers. Then mostly 911/914-6

LMK when you get powder coating, maybe we can get a volume discount.
Eric_Shea
Sell the steering rack for $40-50

Sell the aluminum crossbar for $125 on the PP911 board.

Sell the underbody bar for around $25.00 (if it's a 20mm... 74-78 911 guys usually have 18mm and it would be an upgrade)

Now you've got yourself a $300.00 front end. Not bad.

You'd be a good candidate for a V-Caliper (that felix eluded to) and a T fitting with that system. V-Caliper Thread I can help you out if you need hubs too...
anthony
I was just going to post what Eric posted - sell all the stuff you don't need. I bet you could get over $100 for the rack. If the rack is low mileage though, it might be nice to keep as spare.

Leo, I could use the underbody sway bar mounting hardware if you aren't going to use it. Let me know.

I guess you're leaving stock AX class and will be competing with the big boys!

neo914-6
E is one stop shopping biggrin.gif

I want the spacer kit but my cc max is trying to tell me something laugh.gif
Leo Imperial
Well I got it and I got him down. Then I added in a set of cookie cutters.
A pair of 7x15 and a pair of 6x15. I will be taking everything apart and selling
what I don't need/want soon. Couldn't pass up on a set of 6" cookie cutters
for cheap. Even with the wheels I came in under his price. The guy needs $$$.
I took pics of the 4 or 5 911 part cars he has and will post soon. He is in San Fran.
I will pick up parts for those in need. I should be able to post the pics tonight.

As far as the rears I think I will just drill out the rotors and keep the e-brake.
I just bought the rotors about 3 months ago. I can always upgrade in the future.

As far as playing with the big boys at AX. Shit I was having enough of a time trying
to keep as it is...But I can't wait!

Next comes the new motor...still a four
Eric_Shea
I want the spacer kit but my cc max is trying to tell me something

It's saying "sell your body, sell your body"... oh wait, that's Aaron's cc.

As far as the rears I think I will just drill out the rotors

idea.gif confused24.gif blink.gif Ahhhh... good luck with that. biggrin.gif

(they're not like the fronts)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.