Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My '70 V-8 Assembly Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
76-914
The more I looked at patching the hole in the firewall the more I complicated the job. A hole was cut before I got the car presumably to allow for the left valve cover to clear. I decided to just cut some metal, form a rib and see what that would allow. The pic that shows it painted makes it look bad but it really came out OK. The new piece comes in the cabin about 8mm more than stock.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I tack a length of this "Windshield to Dash" seal about 6" long, let it dry about 6 hours then rinse and repeat. Someone offered to sell me an OEM NOS seal but never got back with me so I'm stuck using this one. If you have an OEM one presently, keep it. Even if you need to paint it. av-943.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
76-914
A quick update,
Both seats are installed. Passenger side has a slider like later models.

Click to view attachment

Front and rear sway rebuilt bars are in

Click to view attachment

Windshield just taped in until the new Dash Top arrives

Click to view attachment

Installed the ends on the torsion bars

Click to view attachment

Trimmed and fitted the fiberglass valances. There will be a bit more fiberglass work to dial these in

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

76-914
Case in point. Notice the opposing lips at the front where the red flare meets the white valance. Little bit of sanding and shaping will straighten it out

Click to view attachment

Another view

Click to view attachment

Stuck the Ducktail on to get an idea of how to attach it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Installed these two beauties. Newly recovered visors.

Click to view attachment

And one, yes one new side mirror. The right door isn't drilled for one and I'm going to leave it as such. I like the "period" look. You can also see the new door fuzzy's and squeegee in this same pic.

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Thats the same spoiler I have!

Details look good! The fiberglass valances look 10x better than ones I see in most cars smile.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 21 2018, 10:07 PM) *

Thats the same spoiler I have!

Details look good! The fiberglass valances look 10x better than ones I see in most cars smile.gif

Who makes that spoiler? popcorn[1].gif
bulitt
Sheridan spoiler. However, ScottyB spent many hours finishing the back side beerchug.gif
Cracker
[quote name='76-914' post='2570503' date='Jan 21 2018, 11:36 PM']

Click to view attachment

Kent - Just an idea...I have the same spoiler.

Click to view attachment
76-914
[quote name='Cracker' date='Jan 22 2018, 04:00 AM' post='2570555']
[quote name='76-914' post='2570503' date='Jan 21 2018, 11:36 PM']

Click to view attachment

Kent - Just an idea...I have the same spoiler.

Click to view attachment
[/quote]
Tony, that appears to be what I have in mind. I was planning on either Dzus fasteners or SS screws and Tinnerman washers to spread the load. I can't tell from your pic; are those are Tinnerman washers or not??
jd74914
Those look like the countersunk washers McMaster sells. They're also the inverse of a Tinnerman; they have the countersink, but not the extended flange because the countersink is on top and not level with the surface.

Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 22 2018, 10:14 AM) *

Those look like the countersunk washers McMaster sells. They're also the inverse of a Tinnerman; they have the countersink, but not the extended flange because the countersink is on top and not level with the surface.

Click to view attachment

Your right! Good eye. I just ordered #10 SS Tinnerman washers and the SS hardware from Aircraft Spruce. All input is gut!
76-914
The rear trunk lid came with a gash in it. Looks like it got whacked with an axe blade because it tore the metal and was very narrow. I had hoped the Ducktail spoiler would cover it but it does not. I decided to forgo painting the lid (unknown color and would be a bitch to match) and to just repair the area and cover it with a 12" wide stripe. This must have been Bob's idea too because the car came with a 5' roll of 12" black decal material.

Click to view attachment

You can see how narrow an area is effected.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I must have had my head in my ass and my mind in Arkansas because I believed the vinyl decal material would hide minor imperfections and therefor didn't float out the repair area as I might have done for a proper repair. headbang.gif WRONG. That flat black material magnified my half assed repair. chair.gif So I ripped it off and sanded down that area as I should have done in the first place. "Stupid is as stupid does!"; Forest Gump.
So from this:

Click to view attachment

To this. Two hours out the window because of laziness! slap.gif Once the vinyl arrives I'll be back on track. bootyshake.gif

Click to view attachment

This is the intended look but staggered to the left somewhat. And after the tinnerman washers arrived, I did manage to fit the spoiler without conflict.

Click to view attachment

The exhaust remains in limbo until I decide as to whether I will twin the outlets in the center or stub them out individually.

Click to view attachment

In my mind, I had decided it would be extremely difficult to add this insulating pad as the engine fits so close to the firewall and thusly put off the task. However the solution was simple enough. Just remove the trans hangers and drop the tranny end while leaving the front mounts attached. Quick and easy after all.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

burton73
I was looking over your build and I thought I would point out what I am doing for my grill for my V8 car. Got the idea from someone on this board a long time ago. The front grill is for a 350Z car and it looks like the shape is right on. I got it n EBay several years ago and the price seemed very good. Comes with fasteners and area to thread from the back. Very good quality in finish.

Bob B

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Jerry Mahoney used a Z grill on his blue Ls car. That was the first application I had seen. They fit like they were made for a 914.
bulitt
Kent- the vinyl was for the top of the windshield...

I had the car up on the lift and one day my wife decided to open the door on the bay so she could get over to the garage windows to clean them. Well, the grage door bracket dug into the trunk lid...
She's happy now that I showed her your repair! smilie_pokal.gif

76-914
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 30 2018, 11:09 AM) *

I was looking over your build and I thought I would point out what I am doing for my grill for my V8 car. Got the idea from someone on this board a long time ago. The front grill is for a 350Z car and it looks like the shape is right on. I got it n EBay several years ago and the price seemed very good. Comes with fasteners and area to thread from the back. Very good quality in finish.

Bob B

Click to view attachment

I'll look into that. Damn nice looking too. Thx for the tip Bob.
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 30 2018, 11:49 AM) *

Jerry Mahoney used a Z grill on his blue Ls car. That was the first application I had seen. They fit like they were made for a 914.
That answered my 2nd question Kevin. Thx

QUOTE(bulitt @ Jan 30 2018, 02:05 PM) *

Kent- the vinyl was for the top of the windshield...

I had the car up on the lift and one day my wife decided to open the door on the bay so she could get over to the garage windows to clean them. Well, the grage door bracket dug into the trunk lid...
She's happy now that I showed her your repair! smilie_pokal.gif
Hah, I had read that on the box.But I thought to myself, "that wasn't window tint; that was window blackout ! Then when I began thinking about what, besides paint, would cover that body repair I remembered that "window tint" material. I then concluded that was your intended purpose for it; not window tint. av-943.gif To quote Jim Carey, "I got it all wrong!". lol-2.gif
76-914
Now that I have the black stripe and ducktail installed I'm wondering if I should extend the stripe to the rear glass. Should it continue onto small section on the engine lid or stay as is? What say yee?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Its just vinyl right? I would put it on and see how you like it. Do both sides of the spoiler.
sb914
Do it and the front trunk as well. Looks un finished
rhodyguy
Paint the top orange.
Chris H.
If it's vinyl do the spoiler and also the engine lid at a minimum.
theer
Stripe all the way - front & rear.

Top: paint the top orange and add stripe there, too. OR... leave the top black and reverse and put orange stripe on the roof?

Larmo63
That car has come a long way, Kent. You might like it so much when you are done, that you'll want to keep it.

Stripe the engine lid and front trunk.

Don't paint the top orange.

Carry on.
burton73
Ideas for stripe: I have a smooth top from the 74 that I cut up and if you wanted to paint it and try I would give it to you.

Its in Inglewood.

Bob B

Pictures Corvette 2015

Bob BClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Paint a different one orange. A smooth one.wink.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 2 2018, 09:09 AM) *

Paint a different one orange. A smooth one.wink.gif

I did this and found I never liked the OEM top. The smooth top is so much nicer, especially on a modern body design. Got rid of the OEM top.
IPB Image

IPB Image
burton73
I have a smooth top from the 74 that I cut up and if you wanted to paint it and try I would give it to you.

To be clear the top was not cut up just the car. It is painted a sick green but the price is right. Just a drive over the hill.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
76-914
OK, thx for the suggestions and offer of a top. I have one that is sanded down but thx very much anyway. I'll keep the OEM top as it will see lots of use and might need the heavy duty eggshell finish. My son has 2 kids. biggrin.gif I'll order some more stripe material to complete the run. Only takes one day to arrive. Oh I liked the idea of covering the Ducktail as well! Those Datsun grilles are < $40. I like the bulk powder coat one but realized how often it would need to be cleaned because of the bugs. Chrome wouldn't show bugs as much. beerchug.gif
76-914
Wow. 10 days w/o an update. Probably because I've been goofing off again. lol-2.gif Let's see; where did I leave off? Oh yes, the stripe. I've decided do only the rear trunk sans the spoiler. I did order another 10' roll of the vinyl incase I change my mind later. wacko.gif The new dash is due this week so I can button up the windshield and dash area by next weekend. piratenanner.gif I've developed a small leak beneath the reservoir but haven't looked into it yet. It's plastic and may have developed a crack. No big deal.

Painting these ducts was the last thing on the list before the dash goes in.

Click to view attachment

The last item on the door list was to rebuild the door stays.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

These door cards are in such nice shape they required sealing the doors.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

76-914
Threw on a beater bumper and rear fairing before hacking up anything of value. The front bumper will remain like this until I enlarge it to meet additional cooling requirements or I discover it works as is. I'm not sure if I'll keep the rear fairing or not. Exhaust will determine that later on.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'd found 1st and reverse a challenge to locate so I decided to take a look into it. I found the plastic bushing had lost a very small piece of plastic and one conical screw was slightly worn. Having a modern day trans and cable shifter in another 914 I felt as if I had been demoted once I was behind a 901 and it's shifter, again. I thought I should give it every possible chance at success so I ordered the pricey ($55) brass bushings and I'm pleased with the results. No more hunting, fishing and poking around for those 2 gears. This is now the best shifting 901 I've owned. cheer.gif

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Are those the ones from pelican?
76-914
They are indeed, Kevin. Now if someone made a brass ball cup we could eliminate all of the plastic bits along that route! beerchug.gif
76-914
Wohoo! My Dash finally arrived yesterday. piratenanner.gif I ordered one during the 914 Christmas sale. Scott offered send it before Christmas but I told him I wan't ready for it yet and to send it to someone who needed theirs immediately. I should have asked "How long if I don't accept this one?" av-943.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bulitt
smilie_pokal.gif
ValcoOscar
Way to go Kent. 914 Dash replacements are not my favorite with my fat fingers.

It's very motivating seeing all these build threads. I absolutely just love it, plus I'm constantly learning something new. Never a dull moment. My problem is I can't find the time for all my projects but I wouldn't have it any different. I like multitasking my projects, my body doesn't.

Keep going my friend.

aktion035.gif

76-914
Time for an update. One week ago, last nite, my computer spilled a glass of my favorite Cab upon itself and immediately became drunk refusing to budge. Thank God I purchased the Apple Care policy. After one week in their care my computer has sobered up and is again working. piratenanner.gif
One week ago today I placed my windshield upon a wool blanket on the front hood. My cell rang and as I was speaking the windshield slid off the hood and shattered upon impact with the drive. headbang.gif Stupid mistake; yes. Was I upset? Nope. Good riddance. That &$%#@*! windshield had been a point of contention since day one and I'm glad it's gone. It was like a little sheeplove.gif Gremlin that had caused me numerous headaches at every turn. The good news is that Hagerty stepped up to the plate and cut a check the next working day. Four cars with Hagerty and my first claim. chair.gif
Back on topic, the sail panel and roll bar trimming is now complete sans a few parts.

First I position the vinyl piece by lining up the pre-punched holes with the existing holes in the sail panel. The vinyl pieces are held in place with some small rare earth magnets.

Click to view attachment

I laid the blue tape down to mark the lower edge of thin piece of trim and to mask off the area before applying the adhesive.

Click to view attachment

Look closely and you can see the 2 trim clips inserted in the vinyl piece. This was my starting point. This is a good time to say that I had replaced these pieces on my 76 in 2010 and that it did not go well. Too late, I noticed that I had not located it correctly at the beginning and of course it would not line up at the other end. I pulled it loose and repositioned it but it never looked right after that. I suspect that the vinyl had stretched in some spots but that's water under the bridge. I was determined that I wouldn't repeat this mistake so I approached the task differently this time. That is why you see the wax paper in the pic. The spray adhesive recommends applying the vinyl between 5 and 60 minutes after the adhesive is applied. I found that the wax paper will stick to this adhesive if applied between minutes 5 - 10. However, if I waited 10 minutes the waxed paper wouldn't stick to the glue. I exposed the bottom of the vinyl piece just enough to expose those 2 clips and pushed them into their respective holes. Next I began to smooth the vinyl with a squeegee working my way towards the top and peeling back the wax paper a few inches at a time. This worked beautifully and allowed me to achieve the accuracy I wanted. After the piece was in place I went over it again rolling a piece of plastic pipe over the area to be sure there were no high spots from the glue splats.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I did the roll bar in the same manner except I matched the end of the strip with the end of the sail panel piece as a starting point. Here the piece is being rolled out with the wax paper in place.

Click to view attachment

Finished product. I found this application method to be very forgiving and a goof proof approach. Hopefully I can remember this method the next time I do this. av-943.gif

Click to view attachment

So now it was time to install the carpet trim pieces, carpet and seats. I've been waiting to see what the seats looked like installed. I wasn't crazy about them when I peeked under the wraps but once installed I think I like them.

Click to view attachment
sb914
Looking fantastic dad . biggrin.gif
914forme
This is coming together nicely.

aktion035.gif
Andyrew
Seats look great!!!
bulitt
smilie_pokal.gif
76-914
Thx guys. It's been fun but all accolades go to Bob. I'm just the assembler. The new windshield is on hold for me just north of here. I'll get it Friday or Monday then it's off to AAA for registration. Yes, still a lot to do e.g. fiberglass work on rocker covers, finalize exhaust, seat belts, front bumper, coolant system testing, glove box lid modification, then paint the rear fairing, rocker covers and engine grilles plus who knows what else will pop up during the 500 mile break-in. beerchug.gif
76-914
I tired of seeing the dizzy when I opened the trunk. That and the gap prevented the trunk seal from seating properly. I was going to modify this cutout piece but decided not to because it would just scorch the paint so................

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

While digging thru the stash I found and installed the shiny, new threshold trim I had forgotten about. chair.gif

Click to view attachment

76-914
Damn it was cool this week. So much so that I didn't get much accomplished. I did the final fit and grind of the rocker covers. I needed to do a little glass work but not much. After waiting 20 mins (should be around 10-12 mins) for the resin to "fire off" I looked at the thermometer in the garage and found the problem. Too cold, 53 degrees. Pulled out the shop heater and once it hit 72 the resin finally fired off. Super pleased with the final fit. Paint and primer of same up next.

Raising the temps

Click to view attachment

Fitted up

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The metal fairing will need some work as well. Tape marking proposed bend lines.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Keep it up and you might not want to give it away.
76-914
Ha ha, good one Kev. There are many very nice things on this car but alas it is not my cup o' tea. My Subaru six is more than enough for me.

Back on track. Didn't want to create a "Hell Hole" in the trunk so.....I installed this.

[attachmentid=64158

Then it was time to bend the rear fairing to match (somewhat) the fiberglass flairs. I started by marking a cone shape on the tape. One edge the cone goes past the edge of flair about 5/16" and goes straight down. Well not straight. About a 95 degree angle. The 2nd edge of the cone lines up with the recess for the bumper. Once drawn out the top of the cone will be about 2" across and the bottom about 3/4". Here is a pic of one side marked out.

Click to view attachment

Next you need to trim out a small stiffener strip on top and bottom. In the pic below you can see the cut out on the upper portion next to the clamp. Later a small piece will be welded back in and I'll cover that later.

Click to view attachment

Now clamp the tube down with 2 clamps and a piece of 1/4" plywood on the back side to spread the load of the clamp. Line up the clamp with the edge of the cone furthest from the wheel. As you can see I this pic, once clamped down the curvature of the metal flattens out. Yes, I know it is on the wrong side of the cone in this pic.

Click to view attachment

A few more

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

At this point the metal is quite flimsy and you can bend it by hand. The first bend is slight. The 2nd one (closest the wheel) is more acute. The important thing here is to set an angle. It doesn't matter if you go 15 or 35 degrees because once it is fitted to the car you can bend back or a little more. As mentioned, it is very plyable at this point.

Click to view attachment
76-914
Anyway, here are some pics of it in place. Fits great. Just need to weld back in some stiffness, prime n paint.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
The vise, pipe, clamp 'fixture' is very clever. smilie_pokal.gif
76-914
Thx Kevin. Every once in awhile something works. I'm happy with the results and glad that I took the time to get these last few items fitted. It makes a difference once they're painted and installed. Here are several pic's during assembly of the final trim pieces after paint.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
76-914
It still needs a good cleaning and the all important Windshield then it will be time for road testing and de-bugging.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Good work on the rocker!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.