Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adventure begins, 1970 914/4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rockland914
I have towed this running driving 914 home two weeks ago. I am the 4th owner, previous owner had it for one summer. It drives, stops, starts. Supposedly "original" 47k miles smile.gif.
Will drive it for a few more weeks and than restoration begins. Got a Lincoln MIG welder, have a friend coming down for a week in January to help. I was debating what to do with it, looks like everything is original on the car. It was repainted probably in the late 80's. Paint is chipping, very little rust on the fenders, hoods, doors and floors. I want to drive it, now show it. Going for mechanical first and later cosmetic. Interior is is great shape, dash has no cracks, one little rip on the passenger side of seat bolster. Has original fuel injection that the previous owner and his mechanic got in running great, new fuel regulators, pump, checked the lines, cleaned the tank, did spark plugs, wires, got the brakes serviced (need to bleed a little more and adjust the emergency brake). I love the look of the original chrome fenders. Car needs to get reinforced, doors are not closing great on the top. Was debating if I should do Restoration Design or Brad Mayeur, leaning toward the latter because I just want to drive it for fun. Goal is original looking outside, inside, mechanically sound with upgraded suspension.
Click to view attachment
Spoke
welcome.png

Good luck with the car. For some reason I don't see the pics.
Rockland914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 18 2017, 04:30 PM) *

welcome.png

Good luck with the car. For some reason I don't see the pics.

Figuring out the image uploads form Google Photos. I think I got it.
Rockland914
QUOTE(Rockland914 @ Nov 18 2017, 04:28 PM) *

I have towed this running driving 914 home two weeks ago. I am the 4th owner, previous owner had it for one summer. It drives, stops, starts. Supposedly "original" 47k miles smile.gif.
Will drive it for a few more weeks and than restoration begins. Got a Lincoln MIG welder, have a friend coming down for a week in January to help. I was debating what to do with it, looks like everything is original on the car. It was repainted probably in the late 80's. Paint is chipping, very little rust on the fenders, hoods, doors and floors. I want to drive it, now show it. Going for mechanical first and later cosmetic. Interior is is great shape, dash has no cracks, one little rip on the passenger side of seat bolster. Has original fuel injection that the previous owner and his mechanic got in running great, new fuel regulators, pump, checked the lines, cleaned the tank, did spark plugs, wires, got the brakes serviced (need to bleed a little more and adjust the emergency brake). I love the look of the original chrome fenders. Car needs to get reinforced, doors are not closing great on the top. Was debating if I should do Restoration Design or Brad Mayeur, leaning toward the latter because I just want to drive it for fun. Goal is original looking outside, inside, mechanically sound with upgraded suspension.
Click to view attachment

mb911
The only issue with the 914ltd kit is that the originality is then gone.. For my car which was a basket case thats a different story.
Rockland914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 18 2017, 04:46 PM) *

The only issue with the 914ltd kit is that the originality is then gone.. For my car which was a basket case thats a different story.

Torn about that. Looks like the Restoration Design parts are super nice and retain the originality. The price of everything I would potentially need scares me. Maybe it is not as bad as I think and I will not have to replace too many parts. I am definitely getting sag in the middle of the car. That is the main concern.
mepstein
You still have to cut out all the rot and fix the longs with the correct sheet metal before you weld on the reinforcements.
HansJan
Good luck with the project. And thank you for saving yet another 914.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 19 2017, 12:57 PM) *

You still have to cut out all the rot and fix the longs with the correct sheet metal before you weld on the reinforcements.

Do that as mentioned ,no other way,you don't need to beef up the chassis till the rest is right or @ all unless you have a power upgrade and I'am not talking a small upgrade on a 4 cyl engine.
Good luck.
shoguneagle
Brad Mayeur does great work and you cannot find anyone better. He has always been willing to work with owner's regarding their cars. Get with him and let him help you/assist you in determining what you are willing, able to, or not wanting to thus getting him involved in the car and helping you make decisions.

Follow the suggestions on getting a knowledge handle on any potential cancer as others have suggested. Again, Brad can help you determine a survey on what has to be done to the car and the order things can be accomplished.

again, there are people here who can help you; car looks great from distance. Good luck and keep the postings coming.

I have Brad's external stress kit on my car which is great, BUT YOU NEED TO KNOW what the car actually needs before giving any consideration to stressing the cars; repairs first, then improvements; thus a good survey on condition.
SKL1
My '73 was restored by Stalltek (who mainly do 356's) and they used Brad's longitudional pieces, and some other stuff from RD.
Very happy with Brad's stuff and car is STIFF as a board now- better than new.

He is great to work with.
Rockland914
Thank you all for the advice and kind words. I will post pictures of the problem areas to get some advice. One of the reasons I made the plunge to get a 914 was the great support the car gets from the owner community. I had a 72 MGB roadster and loved the help and guidance I was able to get online. I will do my best to preserve the originality of the car while creating a solid fun car I can drive like it was designed for, fast and fun.
bretth
Is this the car that was on Craigslist for a long time? Looks familiar. welcome.png
Rockland914
QUOTE(bretth @ Nov 19 2017, 12:23 PM) *

Is this the car that was on Craigslist for a long time? Looks familiar. welcome.png

Craigslist Albany.
Montreal914
welcome.png

You will find excellent help and good support here. Just make sure you keep on posting pictures sunglasses.gif

I've installed a Brad Mayeur kit on mine 6-7 years ago and been driving it almost every day. driving.gif

Enjoy!

bretth
I think this same car was being sold by a guy in Wilton for a couple years before the last owner bought and initially tried to flip it for $7500.
altitude411
In regards to the top to door fit, are you sure you have an early top vs. a late top? Difference between the two in terms of fit. welcome.png

More photo's and enjoy the ride...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

rick 918-S
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 18 2017, 05:57 PM) *

agree.gif welcome.png
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
Big Len
welcome.png There are a half dozen owners nearby who would be happy to help. PM if needed.
Rockland914
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Nov 20 2017, 11:03 PM) *

In regards to the top to door fit, are you sure you have an early top vs. a late top? Difference between the two in terms of fit. welcome.png

More photo's and enjoy the ride...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

It is the door against the top corner of the door jamb tight fit.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Rockland914
QUOTE(Big Len @ Nov 21 2017, 08:18 AM) *

welcome.png There are a half dozen owners nearby who would be happy to help. PM if needed.

Thank you for the warm welcome!
mepstein
Remove the rocker panels so you can see the longitudinals. That's going to be what tells the story.
Rockland914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 21 2017, 08:47 AM) *

Remove the rocker panels so you can see the longitudinals. That's going to be what tells the story.

Took a quick look without lifting the car, definitely some work to be done under there. A friend of mine coming to help for a week in December. I am ready for it, just picked up a welder last week, great deal at $400, it was used on one art installation, full tank, they used flux core.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.