Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something Evil This Way Comes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mblizzard
Well after spending lots of $$$ and seeing lots of work coming up, I hope to finally have my car to a respectable point. Should have a decent 2.3 with TBI and Microsquirt. Koni adjustable on all 4 corners. Front and rear anti sway bars. Rear coil overs and 180lb springs. New rotors, wheel bearings front and rear. All new bushings. Adjustable drop links on the front. DIY Autotune hotspark ignition. And lots of 914 rubber goodies.

This is going to be a lot of work! Will try to document it as it progresses.
wndsrfr
You're going to love that 2.3....here's mine at Summit Point, turn up the volume!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbss0WamRIQ
Montreal914
popcorn[1].gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jan 29 2018, 06:15 PM) *

You're going to love that 2.3....here's mine at Summit Point, turn up the volume!

Awesome! Hope to do some track time soon. Slowly aquring the kit.
RickS
Will be watching with interest and looking forward to your world tour to inspect it up close.
Dr Evil
Ha! By your title, and the fact we know each other, I thought I forgot that I scheduled a trip to visit or something. smile.gif

Cant wait to see your progress! Cool build.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 30 2018, 07:24 AM) *

Ha! By your title, and the fact we know each other, I thought I forgot that I scheduled a trip to visit or something. smile.gif

Cant wait to see your progress! Cool build.

Nope but I still owe you a shirt!
Mblizzard
Slow progress but got the engine cleaned up a bit. Gross decon done and ready for detailed cleaning.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Started cleaning and painting some other parts.

Click to view attachment

Mblizzard
Clean, paint, add eye candy repeat.

Click to view attachment

You learn that there are a lot of parts that can soak up time and money that most will never see.

Oh well looks like some warm weather is coming and I will be able to do some bigger parts.

Clean, paint,............
Rob-O
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jan 29 2018, 06:15 PM) *

I just KNEW that Camaro was going to go off course. Looked like he was pushing a little too hard. I was hoping your video was longer so I could see if he was still off course when you came around again. Didn’t look like he did any damage, but maybe just needed a few moments to gather himself.
Mblizzard
Plotting evil things takes time. Lots of parts have to come together before I can take over 914 World.

Got some 315 cc injectors courtesy of Five O Motorsports.

Click to view attachment

CSP bell crank linkage brings me closer to world domination.

Click to view attachment

With these Tarett axels the world will cower at my feet!

Click to view attachment

Pay no attention to the kitty butt in the photo. All part of my evil plan.
Mblizzard
Overkill?

Click to view attachment

Sure but looks great!

Mblizzard
Got most of the cleaning done and started mocking up the new fuel system.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Long way to go before its drive time.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Craigers17
Looks great.....I know you said it's a 2.3, but can you give any build details, and/or who built it?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 24 2018, 09:36 AM) *

Looks great.....I know you said it's a 2.3, but can you give any build details, and/or who built it?

I have some of the history of the engine but not the exact builds details. Jansen Enterprise in Belmont CA Did the build.

But has mostly the standard mods swivel foot rockers, 78mm crank, cam, dual spring big valve heads, lightened flywheel, and balanced.
DRPHIL914
so by the looks of this you gave up on the 2056 with fi??
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 24 2018, 03:20 PM) *

Nope!its stil there ready to run.

This one is FI as well and should put up some respectable HP numbers. Keeping the 2056 as a back up.

Might be able to keep up with you soon!
914-300Hemi
Looks like it is going to be an amazing engine.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Feb 24 2018, 09:45 AM) *

I have some of the history of the engine but not the exact builds details. Jansen Enterprise in Belmont CA Did the build.

But has mostly the standard mods swivel foot rockers, 78mm crank, cam, dual spring big valve heads, lightened flywheel, and balanced.

I know that guy. He does decent work. That engine should be put together correctly. He works on my buddy's drag Ghia T1.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Feb 24 2018, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 24 2018, 03:20 PM) *

Nope!its stil there ready to run.

This one is FI as well and should put up some respectable HP numbers. Keeping the 2056 as a back up.

Might be able to keep up with you soon!

well, maybe poke.gif , but its about handling and driving skill more than HP! shades.gif
but seriously i am sure you will kick some but and find some ditches with that set up.
you should come down to robeling road for a pca de day when you gwt it ready!
i am doing the same clean up and refresh of tin and other stuff while my motor is out - i am not gettimg into soing anything with my heads or p&c's right now, just clean up and leaks- i looked closer at your pictures and see the f.i. bits - are you going with a Tangetine header and wxhaust on the new motor too? shod be awesome! there was a Raby built 2.3 with all of Foley's stuff on it last weekend here at our cars and coffee- sounded awesome! he shold be coming to the Okteenerfest in Sept!
koozy
That thing looks wicked. I'm guessing it will turn some heads. Interesting components too. Looking forward to seeing video of your maiden voyage.
Mblizzard
Wow! Have not shown the 2056 much love or even started it in 2 months. Went out tonight and it started on the first turn of the switch.

It is a good build.
Mblizzard
Well making slow progress. Installed fittings in the breather base plates for the intake air temp sensor and,the return from the oil catch can for the head vents.

Click to view attachment

Ran a few of the AN lines. I sucked it up and purchased the Kool Tool for putting on the fittings and it takes about 15 seconds to put a fitting on a poorly cut hose and 2 seconds for a clean cut. Well worth the $30 bucks. Not a single bandaid need!

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Started the removal process of the 2056 to go to Germany!

Not too nasty but could use a bit of cleaning!

Click to view attachment

Also ripped off the disgusting foil water holding cheap back pad material. Looks like I have some glue removal to do.

Click to view attachment

Will start the rear wheel bearing and bushing replacement after I get the engine out.
Robnxious
Nice build there Mike, what size carbs are you going to be running on it? Also, what are you using for headers on it? You can really pump some power out of that build, and it's SO much fun to drive
Mblizzard
Progress made!

Engine out and prepped for it’s return to Germany.
Click to view attachment

Got all of the tins on the 2.3 cleaned and painted and impeller housing cleaned and installed.

Click to view attachment

Got the tranny cleaned and ready.

Click to view attachment

Now to start adding all my new suspension parts!
Mblizzard
Got the left rear suspension pulled out. No need for hub puller it practically fell out wit the race stuck on.

Click to view attachment

Ales a big hole!

Click to view attachment

Tomorrow add new rear wheel bearing and install the 914 Rubber SS povit shaft and bushing and tear apart right side.

rhodyguy
REALLY a clean and uncluttered look. It will look great when installed. Not so sure you want to leave the FI bodies on when you put it in. The shelve and the control arm shafts/nuts get in the way.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 31 2018, 12:54 PM) *

REALLY a clean and uncluttered look. It will look great when installed. Not so sure you want to leave the FI bodies on when you put it in. The shelve and the control arm shafts/nuts get in the way.

Yes i think we all do it a few times even with stock FI thinking we can shoe horn it in. With no damage. Easier to remove before install for sure.

Wheel bearing did not look too bad if you discount the grit and huge amount of slop in the bearing.

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
More progress.

Left rear control arm all clean.

Click to view attachment

Rear wheel bearing frozen for over a year went in with no fuss.

Click to view attachment

Nice new parts from Bruce to make it all look nice.

Click to view attachment

914 Rubber SS shaft and bushings went in super nice and easy.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

All mounted up very nice.

Click to view attachment

New rotors added and now to the other side.

Click to view attachment

stephenaki
Sweet!
DRPHIL914
mike are you still with 4 lug, or did you upgrade to 5?
- looks lime four on those new rotors- if so, where did yoy get drilled rotors that fit with stock calipers?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 1 2018, 01:43 PM) *

mike are you still with 4 lug, or did you upgrade to 5?
- looks lime four on those new rotors- if so, where did yoy get drilled rotors that fit with stock calipers?

Still 4. Had them done in CA by Performance Brake. About $150 with pads and because they come with lifetime warranty doesn’t matter if the crack or warp.

Got a set for wife’s Boxster as well. Seem to be good stuff.

The can do the 5 lug as well.
koozy
Are the bushings Delrin, hard plastic type stuff, or rubber and did you lube the shaft? Does the shaft spin smoothly, with little resistance, in the bushings before assembly?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(koozy @ Apr 1 2018, 06:23 PM) *

Are the bushings Delrin, hard plastic type stuff, or rubber and did you lube the shaft? Does the shaft spin smoothly, with little resistance, in the bushings before assembly?

I assume you are talking about the shaft bushings. Not sure of the material but not soft rubber. Slightly hard plastic. Yes lube on shaft and it turns very smoothly. Once the nuts are tightened up there is more resistance. But super easy install compared to the trauma of putting the rubber ones in.
koozy
Fantastic. This will make a huge difference in ride quality and driveability. Resistance adds to the spring rate and this free moving suspension will allow your shocks/springs to do their work.

It all looks clean and well done. Good job.
Mblizzard
Rear sway bar test fitted.

Click to view attachment

914 Rubber engine bay pad test fitted.

Click to view attachment

Just need to install new trans mounts an a few hundred other thing then the engine goes in!

Mblizzard
Starting the rewire. Minor changes but upping the spark a bit.

Click to view attachment

So much to do smash.gif
koozy
smilie_pokal.gif
Mblizzard
Making progress.

May have overdone the axels. These things are freaking massive.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Got the engine in today! piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

View from the bottom is not too bad.
Click to view attachment

More work to come!
Robnxious
Trust me, in hind sight, I wish I would have thought to go w/ upgraded half shafts. I didn't at first and ripped one off the transmission on my first weekend out shake out cruise.
mepstein
The Kool tool is great. Makes building ss lines super easy. I showed it to Russo and he lamented the last 50 years of doing it by hand.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 20 2018, 04:34 PM) *

The Kool tool is great. Makes building ss lines super easy. I showed it to Russo and he lamented the last 50 years of doing it by hand.

Reworked some lines today that i struggled with for hours without the Kool Tool. Did them in 10 min today!
Mblizzard
Well got all of the hoses run today. Need a couple of fittings to finish it off.

Click to view attachment

Next add back in MicroSquirt and start!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Robnxious @ Apr 20 2018, 04:16 PM) *

Trust me, in hind sight, I wish I would have thought to go w/ upgraded half shafts. I didn't at first and ripped one off the transmission on my first weekend out shake out cruise.

I certainly believe if it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing. But compared to these things the stock axels are made of paper. Dont think I will have enough HP to even stress these.
Mblizzard
It’s ALIVE!

Well almost. Going through the MicroSquirt set up. Having problems with idle. With the IBT set up and cam, there is not much vacuum at idle. It drops with revs but because it is reading 60 to 70 at idle the ECH seems to be adding more fuel as it is running rich.

Backing out fuel in the VE table helps but the corrections made by the ECU always seem to continue to make it richer.

For some reason I had adaptive idle on which I will recheck how it works with that off but likely not the fix.

Might try limiting the EGO correction and or take out incorporating the AFR reading in the fuel settings.

Any other thoughts on changes for high MAP settings.
Montreal914
Do you have all 4 ITB vacuum port connected to a little manifold to a single line to the MPS? I thought I had read something about this kind of setup from Mark Henry, not sure though...

popcorn[1].gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ May 5 2018, 01:04 PM) *

Do you have all 4 ITB vacuum port connected to a little manifold to a single line to the MPS? I thought I had read something about this kind of setup from Mark Henry, not sure though...

popcorn[1].gif

Each of the ITBs are joined together by a vacuum port on each of the sides of the engine. So these two ports are joined together and go directly to the MAP.

After looking over the cam specs (410 value lift and 278 duration) I think I am going to get a poor vacuum signal regardless.

Pulled off the manifolds and checked for vacuum leaks and really did not find anything.

Did a quick test to run it on Alpha-N rather than speed density and got much better results.

Doing some testing to see if I can get it to draw a bit more vacuum. Increasing advance at idle to increase RPMs and then will close of the throttle bodies more to reduce the idle to where it should be. Should help some. But I think that. I will have to run a hybrid of Alpha-N at low speeds and the switch over to speed density at higher RPMs.

Developed a couple of different Tunes to see what works.
Mblizzard
With the power of creation comes great responsibility. Took it out for first test drive. Still have some tuning to do but happy with the results. The sound the throttle bodies make combined with the Tangerine Evo exhaust is staggering and fast.

So when I get it sorted I will have to decide if I use this power for good or evil? idea.gif

Pretty sure from the looks I got from people tonight I am leaning toward evil!
poorsche914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ May 13 2018, 10:05 PM) *
Pretty sure from the looks I got from people tonight I am leaning toward evil!

I vote evil happy11.gif

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.