Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sons 1st porsche.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mb911
QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 24 2018, 06:53 AM) *

Ben,

This is the guy I get my 944 donor parts from. MarkSemi local to me, always has a few parts around, he has a small warehouse full of parts. Hard working guy, just trying to scrape by. It is a father and sons operation.

I have gotten things off of him for 914 projects all the time. 924/ 944 manual sunroof parts check $25 bucks, 944 spare check $35 bucks for the steel one. I need a new 17" one. Full roof clip, with a perfect sunroof, check, even got the bag. I think I paid $100 for it, it might have been less than that. confused24.gif

I am sure he has a gas tank or three lol-2.gif

As far as fixing it your self. The only way I can think of doing it is building the section with the fitting, and plastic welding it into the existing tank. So build the panel and fitting first, then patch it into the tank or over the tank where the original came out. You could butt joint it, but why confused24.gif your dealing with plastics here, as long as you have the clearance, just lap joint it, and be done. Like everything cleanliness makes or breaks the process.

Thanks I will ping him. I am flying to Cleveland on the 11th not sure how far of a drive he is away but I have 6-7 hours to kill the 11th so maybe a drive by him..
mb911
Yeah car started today.. Needs a fuel pump as well as a tank but got it going off of starting fluid.
mb911
Tank and fuel pump showed up yesterday from plyhammer.. He was very slow getting me the parts but everything looks good. Probably get it all installed this weekend.
mb911
Car ran very well today off of the new used fuel pump.. Finally something to look forward to..
73-914
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 11 2018, 11:26 AM) *

The closest thing to a 600.00 Porsche would be
a FREE Boat......

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand
mb911
QUOTE(73-914 @ Apr 22 2018, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 11 2018, 11:26 AM) *

The closest thing to a 600.00 Porsche would be
a FREE Boat......

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand

You guys must have expensive boats. Mine was 10k and has a 4 stroke on it that is flawless..

Thats was 14 years agoClick to view attachment
mb911
Update,

Transaxle back in after replacing the gas tank.

New reference, speed sensors, starter, brake pads, fuel hoses, and a score on an extra set of wheels though we still need 4 tires that actually hold air..

We took it for a short drive down the driveway.. Everything works. So 10 years of sitting it is now alive. Still need to change plugs and wires and bleed the entire brake system and timing belt..

Ps bought the ats cookie cutters for $100 which I couldn't pass up. Both my son and I are excited.. I really do appreciate the build quality of the 944.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Today we drove it down our non public road.. Drives pretty well. My son learned a little bit about driving stick. Click to view attachment
AZBanks
If you need 944 parts, check with Lart(Lois).

https://www.ebay.com/usr/larts_porsche_part...=p2047675.l2559

I've known him and been buying from him for years. If the part doesn't work, he'll pay the return shipping.

He's very well known on Rennlist.
mb911
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jun 7 2018, 06:56 PM) *

If you need 944 parts, check with Lart(Lois).

https://www.ebay.com/usr/larts_porsche_part...=p2047675.l2559

I've known him and been buying from him for years. If the part doesn't work, he'll pay the return shipping.

He's very well known on Rennlist.

Thanks so far we have found that plyhammer had what we needed semi locally but will Lart a try .

Car is now back on jackstands to do timing belt.. I can't help believe that folks over complicate this ? Talk of 2-800 dollar tools to check tension of the belts and replace the water pump each timing belt change seems like allot of maintenance costs every 30k. Either way I bought a kit and we will be tackling that this coming week.

Gotta figure out the power steering as there is zero fluid in it.. Probably rack seals. Anyway I need to stop spending my project funds on my sons project lol.. His IOUs are stacking up.

Sand blasted 2 of the wheels this week to prep for powdercoat. We are going to paint the wheels that came with the car black and see how they look..

He wants to be able to drive the car to school this year as a senior..
mb911
Wheels done well 2 of them. Working on timing belt now.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Working on multiple cars today.. I am tired and sore.. Allot done though.Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Dion
Wheels look cool Ben. We are in the same situation. Timing belt in order for my sons as well. Working on a leaky rear hatch now. Waiting for seals
to ship. Good luck to your son and his project!
mb911
QUOTE(Dion @ Jun 23 2018, 05:59 PM) *

Wheels look cool Ben. We are in the same situation. Timing belt in order for my sons as well. Working on a leaky rear hatch now. Waiting for seals
to ship. Good luck to your son and his project!

Thanks. Next will be sand and prep for paint.
mb911
Went to baseball with our younger son and came home to this today.. Guess he is taking apart for paint. biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
mb911
He sanded everything and I showed him today how to prime.. We sprayed some epoxy primer and then I showed him how his sanding impacted the finish.. We will do body work and get these parts ready for paint 1st.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Painted today.. Turned out pretty nice.. Did it outside which is not the norm but didn't want overspray on everything as the 914 is in my "spray booth"Click to view attachment
mb911
Front half is paintedClick to view attachment
mb911
Dragged him out to get some parts off the ground and on the car.. It's not happening fast enough for him right now. Trying to keep him motivated. Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
It’s looking great! Luckily boy to have a dad like you.
worn
It is a pretty nice looking car now. He is doing so well. Reminds me of my son, but for him it was an MGB.
mb911
Thanks.. Still gotta paint the back half of the car yet. It's getting there..
914Sixer
I understand the story about the attention span these days. If it does not happen over night it is too long. Remember when we had dial up computer connection?
bbrock
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 6 2018, 07:00 PM) *

Remember when we had dial up computer connection?

Ha! That wasn't that long ago for me. Only about 7 years. Life in the boonies.
mb911
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 6 2018, 05:00 PM) *

I understand the story about the attention span these days. If it does not happen over night it is too long. Remember when we had dial up computer connection?

That is so true.. They are bringing 5g (cell phones)into our area over the next year but I will still have satellite internet as we are to far off the beaten path..

Keeping wanting to finish anything is a challange though after spending a couple hours directing him on next steps yesterday I was able to leave him to finish some things on his own .. He spent a couple hours working on his own... Most times these kids are like squirrel s looking for the next nut.. biggrin.gif
mb911
Finally spent some time on this.. 2 cars torn apart wears on me as parts are everywhere.. I need to get his car mostly back together.. Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 7 2018, 07:14 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 6 2018, 05:00 PM) *

That is so true.. They are bringing 5g (cell phones)into our area over the next year but I will still have satellite internet as we are to far off the beaten path..

Keeping wanting to finish anything is a challange though after spending a couple hours directing him on next steps yesterday I was able to leave him to finish some things on his own .. He spent a couple hours working on his own... Most times these kids are like squirrel s looking for the next nut.. biggrin.gif

Most times these kids are like squirrel s looking for the next nut"
I must still be very young at heart. biggrin.gif
alfadoc
Been daily driving a 944 for almost 15 years, first an 86 NA and then an S2 since 2011. Love em. I also coached a budding car enthusiast through the resurrection of an 83. He subsequently went to automotive tech school and now is a tech at a Porsche dealership. Discovered through that process that it’s an ideal first P car for a young guy or girl. It’s modern enough to be really usable, but simple enough to wrench at home. All the best to your son and the project.
dan10101
Awesome, Father and Son Porsches.
Brings back memories...

Hey, I have 944 NA parts too. trans, head, air box, hood, a few other odds and ends.

Looking Good!
mb911
Painted today.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
Sweet! I need to get over my phobia about paint pretty soon
mb911
Here are some more money shots.. Now to buff.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
Picture of it getting closer to completion. Click to view attachment
mepstein
So is every kid getting a Porsche? poke.gif laugh.gif
mb911
Roof replacement painted this weekend. Click to view attachment
porschetub
Ditch the pod filter they loose power with them...true.
mb911
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 10 2019, 09:59 PM) *

Oh I know but he had to have it.. 18 year old knows all.
Mayne
Looks very nice. How have you felt about taping off the rubber seals around the glass? I want to repaint my 944 but I’m not sure I want to tackle glass out.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 11 2019, 06:52 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 10 2019, 09:59 PM) *

Oh I know but he had to have it.. 18 year old knows all.

40 extra HP.
mb911
@Mayne . Sorry for the delay responding. I felt for his car it would be fine to tape around the rubber as I fully expect this will not be the last time this car is painted.. He Will no doubt get bumps and bruises and once he feels he is ready to take go time an even better paint job could be done..

Yesterday was the 1st day on public roads.. Click to view attachment
Dion
Looks nice! I’m sure he couldn’t wait to get it rollin’
Great work guys. beerchug.gif
mb911
@Dion that is for sure.. Now all the little things like muffler gasket, something is up with the speedometer trim cleaning etc. I do have to reclear a spot..
mb911
All the little projects on this car has really taken time.. I put the exterior door handles on and then today fixed a huge exhaust leak. I am slowly helping my son realize there are tons of little projects on these old car's.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 21 2019, 09:38 PM) *

All the little projects on this car has really taken time.. I put the exterior door handles on and then today fixed a huge exhaust leak. I am slowly helping my son realize there are tons of little projects on these old car's.

Everytime you fix something, have him give you $20. Then he will really get a small taste of owning a classic car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.