Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fabrication & Welding "Workshop Day" in the North Bay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
tygaboy
Safe travels to all!
driving.gif

Looking forward to a fun day...
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
markhoward
Great meeting everyone today. Thanks to Chris for being such an awesome host!
tygaboy
GREAT seeing/meeting everyone! It sure seemed like everyone enjoyed themselves.

The "most obviously enjoyed himself" award goes to Andrew!
Martin, my buddy and master fabricator showed up and helped guide Andrew through the process of bending up his main roll hoop and door bars.

I asked Andrew if he wanted to roll bend the top of the main hoop to match the targa bar. Andrew proved himself a slave to fashion (just like me!) by getting this silly grin on his face and saying "Yes, I WANT THAT!".

So with the smallest of help getting him started, Andrew roll bent the tube as the first step. Then Andrew, his dad Dan and Martin, knocked out the rest of the bends.

The hoop fits perfectly! Just look at the match to the targa bar curve! Great job, Andrew! No wonder you're so happy with that result.
tygaboy
Mike (Mueller) made an appearance too. So good to see him and his twin girls!
He brought with him a .dxf file for some suspension tower reinforcements for his Volvo.
I support modifications of any car ( laugh.gif ) so with a bit of plasma table we whipped out a pair of parts.
Took all of about 2 minutes.
tygaboy
Christopher (MotoTrooper) planned to use the English wheel to make a roof panel for his Lancia/Subaru project. Well, it turns out that I had 3 examples of roof panels for 33/34 Ford coupes that were practice pieces from the Lazze metal shaping course I took.
Would you believe they measure out so close to what Christopher needs that we opted to give these a trial fit!
So with 10 minutes of measuring, into his car they went!
tygaboy
Steve (NapaSteve) arrived in his Olympic Blue 2.0. Such a nice car. He has to give me first right of refusal if he ever decides to sell it. (I won't hold my breath.)
tygaboy
Krieger (Andy) showed up in his crazy nice 75. Tastefully modified in many ways, this is one of my favorite 914s. Pics don't do it justice.

And don't miss Mark's (Mark Howard) '68 Camaro convertible. So cool!
(Of course I like it, I have chevy power in my 914!)
tygaboy
I was staying pretty busy so those were all the pics I took. Attendees:
Be like Oscar and Steve and post up your pics! cheer.gif
ValcoOscar
Thank you Chris I had fun participating today. A bigger plus was meeting everyone in person. You have an amazing shop..wish you were closer to me. BBQ joint was to die for.

If any of you get down to SoCal...please contact me for a lunch/dinner.

Elliot..hope you made it home safe (in your cessna).

Until next time,

Oscar

Krieger
Definitely a great day! I met a lot of nice people! Thanks Chris for hosting! Good homebrew too!
MartyYeoman
Good seeing everyone today and thanks again to Chris for hosting the event.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 2 2018, 07:59 PM) *

Definitely a great day! I met a lot of nice people! Thanks Chris for hosting! Good homebrew too!

Here's Andy's car...SWEET beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment

Mueller
Thanks Chris for hosting this, great meeting a bunch of members I have not meet yet as well as seeing my other old friends I've known for years.

thank Lori for taking my girls out shopping, they had a great time. The answer is still no to getting a cat smile.gif

thanks for cutting that plate, no way I'd get such nice circles with my handheld plasma.

somehow I came home with more stuff than I came up there with, thanks for the tube notcher, I will make sure it goes to a good home when I am done with it.

I put a pretty good scratch in the Land Rover rear bumper on that fence I backed into, surprisingly my wife Sherryl didn't get too upset. I blamed it on the backup camera smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Such a great day! I havent had a day like this in a long time. Thank you Chris and Martin for making the main hoop! I would love to say I helped but I am sure I was more of a hindrance. I did learn a lot! End result was amazing, I couldn't have asked for a better hoop.

Glad to meet all of you that I haven't met yet and good to see so many familiar faces!! I think I counted 12 people at one time.

I'll have to resize my pics to post so that will have to wait smile.gif
Morph914
Chris,

Thank you for hosting this event, I had a great time and the best part was meeting some of the World members. Great bunch of guys! And of course learning several things was a bonus.

Cheers,
John
Morph914
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Photos 1
Andyrew
Photos 2
Andyrew
End of a great day shot. Thanks so much Chris!!!
tygaboy
Working alone in the shop with no one taking pictures has one big advantage.

Seriously? I've lost that much hair?? av-943.gif
Dion
Well that looked like a sweet,awesome time. Wish I were a bit closer!
Would have been there in a heartbeat.
Krieger
And you wore the cloggs...
tygaboy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 3 2018, 06:50 AM) *

And you wore the cloggs...

I did! And did you happen to notice: Same shoes as Martin! (If I dress like a skilled fabricator maybe that will help improve my fab skills?) laugh.gif
PotterPorsche
Looks like an awesome event!!! Good times helping others make progress on there projects.
markhoward
Only snapped a couple. How do you rotate?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
motoTrooper
Wonderful day in the shop with new friends. Thank you so much for the opportunity to get out and see what you and others are up to. Here a a few snaps I took of the day...

You at the terminal crafting Mike's strut plates. (I probably make a similar face when I'm concentrating!)
Click to view attachment
motoTrooper
The sweet sound of fresh cut shapes falling to the floor

Click to view attachment
motoTrooper
Who farted over there?!

Click to view attachment
motoTrooper
The beautiful Lazze english wheel Chris saved my shoulders from by sharing his already shaped roof pieces.

Click to view attachment

BIG THANKS!
tygaboy
I also want to thank Oscar for the coffee and donuts (and that apple fritter!), Andy for the chocolate brownie bombs and cookies and Robert (BuddyV) for supplying the cooler home brew and much needed waters!
It wouldn't have been the same without your much appreciated contributions - thanks again for helping make this a great day!

Apologies if I've overlooked anyone (my lame excuse is that there was a lot going on... )

Chris
Andyrew
Robert, thanks for those beers! My dad and I took one home and had it in the pool last night. Great end to the day!!

ValcoOscar
It pays off to goof off in SF, sort of.

I ran late and missed my original flight back to LA.
ALASKA airlines bumped me to next flight. 1st class...thx Alaska

Click to view attachment
Morph914
Damn Oscar,

I would kill to have that much leg room on my flight back to Florida. Sorry you missed your flight, but it it looks like it worked out ok.

Cheers,
John
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 3 2018, 12:31 PM) *

I also want to thank Oscar for the coffee and donuts (and that apple fritter!), Andy for the chocolate brownie bombs and cookies and Robert (BuddyV) for supplying the cooler home brew and much needed waters!
It wouldn't have been the same without your much appreciated contributions - thanks again for helping make this a great day!

Apologies if I've overlooked anyone (my lame excuse is that there was a lot going on... )

Chris

Chris, did you have the other half of my apple fritter? 1/2 is all I could do. It was the first apple fritter I've had it about 10 years. I was careful not to put to much lip action when I got to the 1/2 way point. rolleyes.gif

Thanks again for everything, this will come in handy more than you even know.

Thanks for whoever brought Pepsi!

And Robert, Yes thanks for the beer! (hey, I wasn't driving) drunk.gif
motoTrooper
So here's the Lancia with the best fitting panel of the three Chris shared with me. I think it'll work great.

Click to view attachment
motoTrooper
And from the rear...

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Nice! Can we see more of this project? It looks interesting smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 21 2018, 10:07 PM) *

Worth watching and subscribing to:

Riven Motors
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 22 2018, 12:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 21 2018, 10:07 PM) *

Worth watching and subscribing to:

Riven Motors

Done! Thanks for the link!
cary
Looks like every one had a great time ................

If I wasn't so busy ............
Elliot Cannon
I have to say that the only thing greater than Chris' well equipped shop was his well equipped hospitality. To open up his place to anyone who could show up was wonderful thing to do. I'm always happy to learn some new things and meet some new people. Maybe we can talk Chris into making this a yearly event? biggrin.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Cheers, Elliot
PS Thanks for the ride to the airport Steve. laugh.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 22 2018, 09:16 AM) *

I have to say that the only thing greater than Chris' well equipped shop was his well equipped hospitality. To open up his place to anyone who could show up was wonderful thing to do. I'm always happy to learn some new things and meet some new people. Maybe we can talk Chris into making this a yearly event? biggrin.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Cheers, Elliot

Ha! Elliot, you're too kind.
Beyond the fun of meeting folks with the same interests, I just think sharing makes more sense than everyone having to buy all their own tools and equipment or having to pay for things that I/we can help them make themselves. Plus, I'm a big believer in karma so I happily confess, there is a little bit of selfish motivation in there, too... biggrin.gif

As to yearly? I say more often! My shop is always open so if I can help any of you, let me know.
But seriously, if folks are interested, I'll take a look at getting another date on calendar later in the summer or fall.
Andyrew
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 22 2018, 03:35 PM) *

Cheers, Elliot

Beyond the fun of meeting folks with the same interests, I just think sharing makes more sense than everyone having to buy all their own tools and equiptment or having to pay for things that I/we can help them make themselves. Plus, I'm a big believer in karma so I happily confess, there is a little bit of selfish motivation in there, too... biggrin.gif

As to yearly? I say more often! My shop is always open so if I can help any of you, let me know.
But seriously, if folks are interested, I'll take a look at getting another date on calendar later in the summer or fall.

Totally down for another day smile.gif
markhoward
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 22 2018, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 22 2018, 03:35 PM) *

Cheers, Elliot

Beyond the fun of meeting folks with the same interests, I just think sharing makes more sense than everyone having to buy all their own tools and equiptment or having to pay for things that I/we can help them make themselves. Plus, I'm a big believer in karma so I happily confess, there is a little bit of selfish motivation in there, too... biggrin.gif

Totally down for another day smile.gif

Another day would be great! This time, will have a project in hand. Thanks Chris for being so generous with both time and tools! Speaking of tools, I recently got a Sun distributor machine so if anyone local wants to take a shot at dialing in their curve, let me know..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.