Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fabrication & Welding "Workshop Day" in the North Bay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
MartyYeoman
CW? confused24.gif

Edit: Jeff at PartsHeaven just told me that the date for the swap meet hasn't been set yet. Probably in the next two weeks. Call back.
RoadGlue
I'm up in Santa Rosa and would dig coming down to watch/help, but only if there's room. If not, please bump me.

Thanks for hosting!
tygaboy
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Mar 30 2018, 12:11 PM) *

I'm up in Santa Rosa and would dig coming down to watch/help, but only if there's room. If not, please bump me.

Thanks for hosting!

Randy - I'm sure there'll be room in the bleachers! And you may know, I'm the guy/location where Kevin O used to do his bicycle building. Looking forward to meeting you.
tygaboy
Let's see if anyone absolutely can't make June 2 work and unless it's totally critical, I'm thinking we keep the date.
I'll watch for comments over this weekend and we'll make the final call early next week.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 30 2018, 12:19 PM) *

Randy - I'm sure there'll be room in the bleachers! And you may know, I'm the guy/location where Kevin O used to do his bicycle building. Looking forward to meeting you.

Unless I'm having yet another brain fart, I'm not sure I know who Kevin O is...

Regardless, I'm looking forward to meeting you too and seeing some of the old local gang as well.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Mar 30 2018, 11:55 AM) *

CW? confused24.gif

Edit: Jeff at PartsHeaven just told me that the date for the swap meet hasn't been set yet. Probably in the next two weeks. Call back.

Concourse Weenies
strawman
I’ve got this on my calendar. I’m currently contemplating mods to my metal front bumper for a radiator intake. But I’ll likely begin working on that project prior to June 2nd. In any case, I’d like to stop by just to see your workshop, meet new folks and see old friends. Thanks for hosting this event!
BiG bOgGs
If there aren't pictures it never happened. confused24.gif lol-2.gif
arkitect
Sounds like this would be a good event. smile.gif

What I need in lieu of a metal working seminar is a wiring seminar, wiring is shot on my daughter's 70 teener. sad.gif

Dave
tygaboy
OK, barring something totally unexpected, we are a GO for Saturday, June 2.

REQUEST:
- If you're planning to work on something specific, please check the first post and be sure I've captured you/it in the "Attendees/Project/Tools" section.

- If you need materials, either bring them with you or if you want to leverage our local steel supplier or Tube Services f(or DOM tube), PM me to coordinate.

Note: Tube Service will deliver to my shop for $20. I can pick up sheet metal or non-DOM, I just need to know what you need. Please don't wait til the last minute.

- If you're planning to attend and watch/learn/jump in and help/take pics, please check the "Attendees/Tips & Tricks" section to be sure I have you listed.

LUNCH:
There are a couple nearby places to get lunch and I'm sure we can enlist someone to make a food run. Please plan on covering the costs of your own food. I'll provide a case or two of water.

Looking forward to a fun day!
Mueller
I'd just like to show up and hang out for bit if that is okay.

I thought the city wouldn't grant permits for the Parts Heaven swap meet this year?
Mike Bellis
I might show up to visit. No projects that I need worked on (or couldn't do in my own garage). But I need to get the 914 out on the road. It's been neglected lately. Just sitting in the garage suffering from a cardboard box build up on the hood...

I just want to go for the drive. driving.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 28 2018, 08:55 AM) *

I'd just like to show up and hang out for bit if that is okay.

I thought the city wouldn't grant permits for the Parts Heaven swap meet this year?

Mike - Please do come by! I have some parts for you... Unless you get your work party/BBQ on cal before June 2. poke.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 28 2018, 08:59 AM) *

I might show up to visit. No projects that I need worked on (or couldn't do in my own garage). But I need to get the 914 out on the road. It's been neglected lately. Just sitting in the garage suffering from a cardboard box build up on the hood...

Hi Mike - You've been added to the "attendee" list. Hope to meet you then!
Chris
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 28 2018, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 28 2018, 08:59 AM) *

Hi Mike - You've been added to the "attendee" list. Hope to meet you then!
Chris

Cool. If the PH swap meet ends up the same day, I hit that early then head up to P-town. Not sure how long my ADHD will allow me to hang out before I see something shiny...

Let me know if I should bring anything.
ValcoOscar
Chris

I thought about joining you all but I found out I have a wedding to attend that day.

Have fun
tazz9924

Hope Elliott can join use.

aktion035.gif

Oscar
[/quote]
Me? I assume you don’t mean me laugh.gif
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 28 2018, 08:55 AM) *

I talked with Al at PartsHeaven the other day. He told me the city wanted $10K to issue a street closure permit. Cost prohibitive to say the least. He's trying to work a deal to move the event onto the parking lot across the street to put it on private property and circumvent the permit requirement. He's still not sure it'll even happen this year.
dan10101
Chris,
Looks full, but if there is any room, I would like to attend.
I can bring tools, if nothing else for show and tell.
Affordable Bender with 1.25, 1.5 and 1.75" dies.
Welders, notchers, anything else you might need multiples of.
Thanks,
Dan Dalen
bbrock
QUOTE(dan10101 @ May 15 2018, 08:37 AM) *

Chris,
Thanks,
Dan Dalen

I just noticed my name is on the list, and while I will be right there in the area that day... sadly, I won't be able to attend the workshop. Hate to miss it but you can have my slot if nothing else.
tygaboy
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 15 2018, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(dan10101 @ May 15 2018, 08:37 AM) *

Chris,
Thanks,
Dan Dalen

I just noticed my name is on the list, and while I will be right there in the area that day... sadly, I won't be able to attend the workshop. Hate to miss it but you can have my slot if nothing else.

Brent - Dang it, sorry you can't make it... I'll update the listing.
tygaboy
QUOTE(dan10101 @ May 15 2018, 07:37 AM) *

Chris,
Thanks,
Dan Dalen

Dan - I think there will be plenty of room so please feel free to attend. And we should be good on tools, assuming the roll bars are all planning to use 1.5" OD tube and 6" radius. If Andrew needs something else, please do bring the bender.
See you on the 2nd!
dan10101
Thanks Brent and Chris.

Looking forward to it.

Dan
BuddyV
Chris - thank you for reminding me and checking in today.

I will be there beerchug.gif

(not sure if my car will be around, though)
Morph914
Chris,
Looking forward to this epic event! What time may we start showing up? And please let me know if there is anything I can bring.

Cheers,
John
tygaboy
QUOTE(Morph914 @ May 17 2018, 07:02 PM) *

Chris,
Looking forward to this epic event! What time may we start showing up? And please let me know if there is anything I can bring.

Cheers,
John

John - I'll update the first post w/more info about timing, etc. I'll be fine if folks show up starting at 8:00.

No need to bring anything, though I may ask for volunteer(s) to make the lunch run.
See you soon!
Chris
ValcoOscar
Chris-

I received your PM. Thx.

Please add me to list.

Glad to attend workshop as spectator/volunteer.

Flight, room & car booked.

If okay, I'll bring some coffee and donuts for the group. I'm staying in SF so let me know if you need me to bring anything else. How about soft drinks?

Oscar
RoadGlue
Okay for us to bring beers to share? Asking for a friend of course. ;-) No worries either way and thanks again for hosting!
tygaboy
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ May 18 2018, 02:22 PM) *

Okay for us to bring beers to share? Asking for a friend of course. ;-) No worries either way and thanks again for hosting!

Ah, the beer... I'm not a beer drinker so seem always to overlook the brewski.
But sure, bring some! I'll supply water, sodas and wine.
tygaboy
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 18 2018, 02:00 PM) *

Chris-

I received your PM. Thx.

Please add me to list.

Glad to attend workshop as spectator/volunteer.

Flight, room & car booked.

If okay, I'll bring some coffee and donuts for the group. I'm staying in SF so let me know if you need me to bring anything else. How about soft drinks?

Oscar

Oscar, you're too kind. Donuts and coffee would be awesome! I can also make coffee here.
Mueller
Friendly bump and reminder.

Chris, I will not be able to make it. This pneumonia is kicking me down and I need to get better before WCR.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 29 2018, 08:43 AM) *

Chris, I will not be able to make it. This pneumonia is kicking me down and I need to get better before WCR.

Mike - so sorry to hear. I was really looking forward to seeing you. Remember, I have a few parts for you... we'll get them to you soon.
You take care and get yourself well. And have a GREAT time at WCR!
tygaboy
ATTENDEES:
I'll be PMing you to confirm your attendance and get you my address and contact info.

How about we plan for your arrivals any time after about 7:00 AM and we'll plan on going til about 5:00 PM, or til everyone's stuff is "done" (ha!)

Looking forward to seeing you all on Sat. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
RoadGlue

hissyfit.gif Oh bummer. Hope you feel better soon!
RoadGlue
Wasn't able to get anything done on the 914 this weekend, so I might be in the Audi. I won't be there before 10 AM either. It's okay if some of us meander down a little later than 7, right? :-)
ValcoOscar
Looking forward to this Chris.

I expect to leave from SF (Wharf area) around 7:30ish.
Shouldn't get traffic...I'm thinking.

Oscar

Mueller
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 29 2018, 09:05 AM) *

Mike - so sorry to hear. I was really looking forward to seeing you. Remember, I have a few parts for you... we'll get them to you soon.
You take care and get yourself well. And have a GREAT time at WCR!

Thanks Chris, as for those parts if there is someone up there this weekend that can use them, pass them onto them. I honestly don't see putting them to use. Just more parts to clutter my garage.
strawman

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I can deliver parts on my way home on Saturday evening if you're up to it; I'll be driving the Eurovan so I'll have space for some big parts, too. PM me with contact info so that we can make arrangements.
Geoff
tygaboy
As I've been confirming with the attendees, it seems some of the planned work won't be happening. See the first post for details about what will be happening.

In all, we'll have plenty of room for the remaining activities to happen - even all at once! And Andrew's roll bar fab will be interesting for folks to watch/help with.

Plus, I can back fill with some needed design/fab work on my car, as well as with a customer art project that requires some plasma table use.

Or, maybe I'll just hold you all hostage until someone figures out how all this stuff connects! blink.gif
Wyvern
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 30 2018, 01:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Mar 30 2018, 11:55 AM) *

CW? confused24.gif

Concourse Weenies

The PH Concours and Swap are not happening ... The City won't let them shut down the street unless there is a huge donation .
The Concours has officially been moved to Fremont Porsche on Sunday June 3

I am with HOD at Thunderhill on Sat ... Will miss this
Elliot Cannon
It looks like I will be able to make this event. I'll be flying my little Cessna up so I can't really guarantee how soon I'll be there. av-943.gif
Andyrew
Loaned a trailer from work. Gonna put the 914 on it somehow and get some DOM tomorrow.

To load for me:
Welder and helmet
Stainless steel wire
Rear windows
Stainless steel. (for fun..)
DOM
914 badge

Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 1 2018, 04:15 AM) *

Loaned a trailer from work. Gonna put the 914 on it somehow and get some DOM tomorrow.

To load for me:
Welder and helmet
Stainless steel wire
Rear windows
DOM
914 badge

If you find a metal place open can you grab some .125" sheet steel piece of like 2x2 ?
I now plan on going if I get out of the hospital today, feeling way better with all that fluid removed from lung cavity and itching to get some work done.

I have a plasma cutter at home however Chris has the CNC plasma cutter so much more accurate.

Chris, can that machine accept DXF file?
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 31 2018, 01:56 PM) *

It looks like I will be able to make this event. I'll be flying my little Cessna up so I can't really guarantee how soon I'll be there. av-943.gif

Hey Elliot-

I have a rental car so let me know if you need a ride from airport.
I could use a co-pilot lol-2.gif

Oscar
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 1 2018, 07:14 AM) *

To load for me:
Welder and helmet
Stainless steel wire
Rear windows
DOM
914 badge

If you find a metal place open can you grab some .125" sheet steel piece of like 2x2 ?
I now plan on going if I get out of the hospital today, feeling way better with all that fluid removed from lung cavity and itching to get some work done.

I have a plasma cutter at home however Chris has the CNC plasma cutter so much more accurate.

Sure can. 2' x 2'? (Thats a lot of steel! biggrin.gif )

I've got an order in to my local steel place. Im on hold, i'll add that to my order.
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 1 2018, 09:03 AM) *

To load for me:
Welder and helmet
Stainless steel wire
Rear windows
DOM
914 badge

I've got an order in to my local steel place. Im on hold, i'll add that to my order.

Thanks, I'll bring cash .... going to Modesto Steel?
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 1 2018, 09:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 1 2018, 09:03 AM) *

To load for me:
Welder and helmet
Stainless steel wire
Rear windows
DOM
914 badge

Thanks, I'll bring cash .... going to Modesto Steel?

Thats the one! They have 10ga 2'x4' sheets so I'll pick that up.
strawman
Uggh. I seem to have got the gambu that my wife had earlier this week. So I'm going to spend the rest of today and likely the rest of the weekend at home watching bad TV. Have fun, and make some sparks in my name...
tygaboy

Mike - Yes, .dxf

See you tomorrow!
Andyrew
Welp 2 hours dicking with trailer wiring means we're leaving a bit later. A faulty Curt wiring harness converter means we had to bypass the box and make a couple parts runs. I'm going to leave most of my tools behind but take my helmet and gloves. My dad is with me and we have his bender and dies.

I have 40 ft of tubing and Mueller's plate we'll get something done tomorrow! Expect us there about 9:14. Still got to load the car on the trailer in the morning, get gas and put some air in the tires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.