Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB tow bar for flat towing $99 Universal Tow bar mounts $25
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 19 2018, 11:48 PM) *

Here's the adapters mounted on the harbor freight bar. Mine are the big ones if you can't tell. You can use the bolts that come with the bar to mount these.

Just picked up from powder today and will be packing up to be ready to ship tomorrow. I have a few LE air dams left in stock and will have more end of next week.

Mark - thanks for the detailed update and images.

I don't think I have time to order these and get delivered before Rennsport - but it is exactly what I need - well done.

Is anyone from 914Rubber coming to Rennsport that can hand deliver? I plan on driving the car both ways from Durango - but it is nice to have a plan B.
Mikey914
Matt is planning on being there. I can send him with some stuff. We have all the hardware you need to change out (as the 3/8" steel adds length to the requirement for the hardware, as well as spacer tubes for the front bolts.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that we include the mounting hardware you need to install these so you will not need to make a trip to the hardware store looking for bolts.

If your front end has any tweaked you can add a washer or two.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 20 2018, 11:16 AM) *

Matt is planning on being there. I can send him with some stuff. We have all the hardware you need to change out (as the 3/8" steel adds length to the requirement for the hardware, as well as spacer tubes for the front bolts.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that we include the mounting hardware you need to install these so you will not need to make a trip to the hardware store looking for bolts.

If your front end has any tweaked you can add a washer or two.

Once again - you guys are the best.

I look forward to having these adapters on hand in case something happens on the 1000 mile return trip!
HansJan
Can I still order one?
Mikey914
Yes this is just starting to get rolling, Scott actually packaged them all up and they are ready to ship.
HansJan
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 20 2018, 07:04 PM) *

Yes this is just starting to get rolling, Scott actually packaged them all up and they are ready to ship.

Is my car a good candidate (see pic)?

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
YES, I'd say you are 1/2 way there. No need to remove the air dam as you have the clearance.
pilothyer
Hey Mark...…..I received the Tow Bar, The Adapters, and that beautiful LE Air Dam. What a well made group of products...….Thanks...………..Jerry biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Oct 17 2018, 02:25 AM) *

Hey Mark...…..I received the Tow Bar, The Adapters, and that beautiful LE Air Dam. What a well made group of products...….Thanks...………..Jerry biggrin.gif

Are the adapters for the HF tow bar on the website now? Also - are the spacers listed?
HansJan
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Oct 17 2018, 03:25 AM) *

Totally agree.
Most importantly.... it works!!
Click to view attachment
914werke
blink.gif hard to tell from that shot but it looks like its attached kinda crooked?
Chris914n6
Looks like your adapters were welded wrong. That's a double pivot and not the way to do it.

QUOTE(HansJan @ Oct 17 2018, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(pilothyer @ Oct 17 2018, 03:25 AM) *

Totally agree.
Most importantly.... it works!!
Click to view attachment

HansJan
[quote name='Chris914n6' date='Oct 17 2018, 09:00 PM' post='2658317']
Looks like your adapters were welded wrong. That's a double pivot and not the way to do it.

You are right. You think I have received the wrong adapter, for the HF bar?
Chris914n6
QUOTE(HansJan @ Oct 17 2018, 08:40 PM) *

Compare yours to the ones Mikey posted earlier. Looks different to me.
pilothyer
[quote name='Chris914n6' date='Oct 18 2018, 12:19 AM' post='2658356']
[quote name='HansJan' date='Oct 17 2018, 08:40 PM' post='2658334']
[quote name='Chris914n6' date='Oct 17 2018, 09:00 PM' post='2658317']

[/quote]
Compare yours to the ones Mikey posted earlier. Looks different to me.
[/quote]
agree.gif
sixnotfour
2 many adapters...both wrong
Mikey914
Actually the HF end needs to be removed and the new part replaces it. I'll see if I can drop a pic shortly. It can use the bolt and nut that attaches the HF end piece that it comes with. I made them so you didn't have to go buy hardware.
Mark
HansJan
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 18 2018, 10:00 AM) *

Actually the HF end needs to be removed and the new part replaces it. I'll see if I can drop a pic shortly. It can use the bolt and nut that attaches the HF end piece that it comes with. I made them so you didn't have to go buy hardware.
Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark,
Scott mentioned that I accidentally received some parts that were meant to be scrapped, and that the correct parts are being mailed.

I never gave it a thought. Our friends on in this community, with 20/20 vision, pointed it out.

Thanks for looking after me guys.
HansJan
Installed the LE airdam today. Looks good.
And received the new adapters for the towbar.
All seems good (will test later this week).
Click to view attachment
HansJan
Adapters are good.
Thanks guys.
Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(HansJan @ Oct 21 2018, 11:36 AM) *

Adapters are good.
Thanks guys.
Click to view attachment

aktion035.gif

Nice!

I need those adapters for my HF tow bar. Did you use the spacers for the mount as well?
mb911
I have never towed a 914 or any car this way before and will likely not ever but how does the car turn corners? Do you just leave the steering wheel unlocked?
914werke
yes. tracks fine
sixnotfour
Ive flatowed at least 20 different 914s ,,,only had one that the steering wheel needed to be locked straight...be cause it would not stay centered waving side to side.
Steve
Curious, do you disconnect the battery and leave the keys in the ignition to prevent the steering from locking?
Mikey914
No need to disconnect the battery. Just turn the key enough to unlock the wheel. If you are not towing very far I have turned on the headlights to get the running lights (key off) for extra visibility at night.
HansJan

Nice!

I need those adapters for my HF tow bar. Did you use the spacers for the mount as well?
[/quote]

Not sure which spacers you are referring to. It bolts directly to the car (after removing the cover that protect the torsion bars) with 3 bolts on each side.

I probably have to lower the tow-hitch a few inches, to avoid the bar from pointing upwards too much (which could damage the airdam).
Amphicar770
My flat towbar and the harbor freight unit both arrived today. Do I also need to separately order the adapters referenced in this thread? Are those on your website?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(HansJan @ Oct 22 2018, 08:39 PM) *

Nice!

Not sure which spacers you are referring to. It bolts directly to the car (after removing the cover that protect the torsion bars) with 3 bolts on each side.

I probably have to lower the tow-hitch a few inches, to avoid the bar from pointing upwards too much (which could damage the airdam).

Mark has mentioned he has spacers to achieve the correct geometry - they might be what you need.
Amphicar770
All the discussion about adapters and spacers has me confused.

I bought the flat tow bar kit. I bought the harbor freight towbar. Both just came in. Do I need to buy more stuff and from where?
HansJan
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Oct 26 2018, 10:19 AM) *

I bought the flat tow bar kit. I bought the harbor freight towbar. Both just came in. Do I need to buy more stuff and from where?

See below picture.
If you have this adapter in your stash, you are good to go.
Otherwise, call 914Rubber or send this picture to them.
Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
I have an older tow bar. Will the adapters fit a 1"x2" box tube?
Mikey914
Just completed universal tow bar brackets that allow you to use the EMPI bar without them or you can use HF, Walmart towbars with the adapter brackets. You can see how my adapters allow you to simply trade out the originals and that the steel we used was thicker than than the actual tow bar.

The bar with the hardware to mount it is $99 and the adapter brackets are $25
New brackets shown on a Walmart bar.

My tow bar is barely visible from the front We're doing another run who's in ?

I've been using this in testing for the last 6 months probably should sell these eventually so GB is on
mepstein
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Oct 26 2018, 11:19 AM) *

I bought mine a year ago but same question. I don’t remember anything about adaptors.
Mikey914
If you bought my bar you might need the adaptors. You can see the end that I took off that would allow a bolt to go through. The adaptors are shown attached to the Walmart bar.
You should take a look and see what you have as the bars I made were designed for the Empi tow bar. Post up a pic of what you have I can let you know.
Mark
Chris914n6
I have an older tow bar from Pepboys circa 2000ish. Will the adapters fit a 2" box tube?
Or... what size is the HF C-channel bar?

@Mikey914
Mikey914
Should opening is 2-1/8"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.