Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center High mounted Brake Light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I have been thinking about the subject. There are only about 3 Topic Titles that pop up on a search. So I am curious if folks are doing this.

I notice lots of pick-up trucks with LED strips under the tail gate. Maybe only $20 and you get blinkers (and hazards), brake lights, and reverse lights. Plus the unwanted running lights.

The 1st few I saw on Amazon used a trailer wiring couple, so that would be easy. Summit Racing has one for $30 but it is 60" long. Probably too long, wonder if I could just go with 1/2 of it and skip the blinker function too? SUMMIT RACING LINK

Thoughts??
Tom_T
Malcolm -

These will work on a 914 too - easy install & easily removable too.

https://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=23669

I have it on my 88 Westy van, & may do it on my 914 later on.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
.... not my van

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
oakdalecurtis
A couple of thoughts. I added a third brake light under the targa bar. I would be cautious about using any LED light here that you can see from inside the cabin at night when activated, otherwise you'll get a lot of distracting reflection in the rear window. I did not want to rely on the light's adhesive so I drilled a small hole through the curved mount and put a metal screw up into the targa bar on each end. I ran the wires through the attachment leg into a small hole in the targa bar, then out the back and along under the rear trim piece. Where the trim meets the body, I put the wire through a small hole drilled through the body under the trim, then through the engine bag into the trunk through another small hole. Once inside the trunk, the wire went back to the brake light wires at the rear lens.
This light does not inhibit your rear view in your mirror, as it is very high up in the mirror's field of view.
I also added a small strobe module at the brake light wire connection, so when I hit my brakes, the third light strobes nicely, hard to miss! When I took a video of the third brake light working at night, you could see the LED strobe come on a moment BEFORE the incandescent lights could heat up and shine. Good luck!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
burton73
With all the big trucks in Nashville I do not blame you as our cars are really small.

There is a chip or something that make the brake lights into a strobe.
I think I will do something like that on my 6 as with desecrated drivers it is just too easy to get hit.
Cell phones and texting is a real problem.

Bob B
sheeplove.gif

we are the sheep in the battle with traffic
burton73
With
malcolm2
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 3 2019, 05:42 PM) *

With all the big trucks in Nashville I do not blame you as our cars are really small.

I think I will do something like that on my 6 as with desecrated drivers it is just too easy to get hit.

Bob B
sheeplove.gif

I saw the flash module on another post. I think it was some engineering students at univ of Tenn that had something to do with inventing a bulb that flashes 3 times then stays bright.

I also noticed that there are aftermarket LED fixtures for motorcycles that strobe. No mofule needed.
malcolm2
Damn iphone double post.
oakdalecurtis
Here’s the strobe module I used. Five dollars, easy to install, works beautifully! This one is for LED lights, but it’s easy to find one for seventeen dollars that works with incandescent lights if you want. beerchug.gif

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/st...ASABEgKB1fD_BwE
malcolm2
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 3 2019, 02:44 PM) *

Malcolm -

These will work on a 914 too - easy install & easily removable too.

https://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=23669

I have it on my 88 Westy van, & may do it on my 914 later on.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
.... not my van

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

So you stick it to the inside of the window? Might be a good way to do it.
RickS
I used double sided tape to attach mine to the underside of the targa bar. It flashes three times and goes solid. Bought it from Custom Dynamics on line. Originally designed for bikes. I ran the wires under the chrome trim to the engine compartment and into the trunk where I tapped into the tail lights. There is zero reflection on the rear window or in the cabin.
Click to view attachment
JP3
I installed LED strips on the inside of the engine lid so the light shines through the screen. Not a high mount but it seams to help.Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 3 2019, 06:42 PM) *

Bob B
sheeplove.gif

I have one on my bug, 4 fast flashes, 4 slow flashes then on steady. It's only on the 3rd brake light itself.
I have another module for my 914, I was going to use a corvette 3rd brake light housing but I now have a GT lid, so I'm watching this thread for other options.

Distracted driving (cell phone, etc.) here is now a $1000 fine, a three-day licence suspension and three demerit points.
That's the first offence, 2nd offence within 5 years of the 1st the fine rises to $2,000, plus six demerit points and a seven-day driver's licence suspension. Third is $3000, six demerit points and plus a 30 day suspension.
amfab
I did one as a narrow slot in the aluminum trim at the back of the Targa bar that worked well and was difficult to see when off. I don't have any photos with me. I can take a picture when I am back from vacation next week. Essentially it was an1/8th inch slot about seven inches long that I cut down the center of the trim with a cutoff tool that followed the slight curve of the targa bar trim.

I then took an LED strip light and taped it inside the trim with aluminum tape and snapped the trim back on.

I got one of those connector tab splitter things and ran a wire from the drivers taillight up the loom and out though the outer edge of the engine grill to up under the sail trim to get to the top trim. you can't see the wire from the outside if you get it far enough over.

-Andrew
malcolm2
I like the idea of the Center Brake light being as high as possible. So stick on, the underside of the targa bar, or maybe the targa rear edge.

I am not 100% sold on the 3m adhesive route, but I bought me the Go Westy rig. It looks like it will not reflect back into the cock-pit. I suppose I can find the brake wire that is inside or it looks like there is enough wire to run it to the rear trunk and do the spade connection. The Strobe Module looks like a must have. Gonna get one of those too.

I figured if I don't like it, I can install it on my 72 VW bus. And if I do like it, I can buy another.

If I could figure out the best way to mount it and the unit was not too long, I still like the idea of using those pick-up truck tailgate lights. They are cheap, I might get one and play with it too.

I'll add some photos when I start working on it.
GeorgeRud
There was a fellow in the Midwest that mounted a brake light from a Ford GT into a slot cut into the rear targa trim bar that looked great. Maybe one of the Midwest contingent has a photo they could share, but it was way before digital photography.
Jacob
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 4 2019, 12:07 PM) *

There was a fellow in the Midwest that mounted a brake light from a Ford GT into a slot cut into the rear targa trim bar that looked great. Maybe one of the Midwest contingent has a photo they could share, but it was way before digital photography.

I think I found it here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...28853&st=20

Mark Henry
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 4 2019, 11:59 AM) *

I like the idea of the Center Brake light being as high as possible. So stick on, the underside of the targa bar, or maybe the targa rear edge.

One thing to watch for, especially if you're tall, is a high stick on light may obstruct the rear view mirror.
GeorgeRud
Yes, Jacob found a picture of the installation. By far the cleanest and most correct appearing method I’ve ever seen. Plus, you should see the looks at the Ford Parts counter when you stroll 8n asking for a high mounted brake light for a Ford GT. Supposedly it was also used on a Taurus SHO, but I’m sure other LED lights would als9 work.
mb911
That looks perfect.
Ferg
I bought two of these for the rear of my Hitch mountain bike rack. Wired them up for blinkers brake ect.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiipro-Universal-Dav...rake+motorcycle

I've been happy with them so far, and they are by far the smallest that are suitable for outside use that I have seen. I think I may order another and hide it in the engine grill as I don't want it seen. They put out a really bright red and should light up really well. I don't think I'd use the blinker ect in this application though.

HansJan
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 4 2019, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 4 2019, 11:59 AM) *

One thing to watch for, especially if you're tall, is a high stick on light may obstruct the rear view mirror.

agree.gif
oakdalecurtis
Well, I’m 6’4” and have no problem with my targa bar light obstructing my rear view, unless I’m looking for airplanes! driving.gif
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 3 2019, 02:33 PM) *

I have been thinking about the subject. There are only about 3 Topic Titles that pop up on a search. So I am curious if folks are doing this.

I notice lots of pick-up trucks with LED strips under the tail gate. Maybe only $20 and you get blinkers (and hazards), brake lights, and reverse lights. Plus the unwanted running lights.

The 1st few I saw on Amazon used a trailer wiring couple, so that would be easy. Summit Racing has one for $30 but it is 60" long. Probably too long, wonder if I could just go with 1/2 of it and skip the blinker function too? SUMMIT RACING LINK

Thoughts??

Here's my solution to this issue. Bought mine at Walmart. Two to a pack. Gave the other one to my friend OLAF who installed it on his 914.
Click to view attachment
StratPlayer
Added this to the car quite a while ago.
wndsrfr
These are easy to mount using the adhesive backing...got them at local Autozone...set the wiring to include a diode so that they work with directional signals as well as the brake lights.....
Click to view attachment
malcolm2
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jan 4 2019, 06:10 PM) *

Looks professional. Where did you get it?
bandjoey
Stick on Autozone $20 now 5years old and still working.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jan 4 2019, 05:50 PM) *

Well, I’m 6’4” and have no problem with my targa bar light obstructing my rear view, unless I’m looking for airplanes! driving.gif

If the windshield has ever been replaced and the RVM was stuck on say a 1/2" higher it will be an issue.
Worth checking before you install the light.
Garland
Here’s the link to my 3rd brake lamp.

3rd Brake Lamp

Working on a new design, same style built into trim. Sourced this time Cadillac. Using designed lamp parts are much brighter then LED tape.

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Yours is the one I remembered. Nicest option I ever saw. Thanks for giving the link. I still remember that SMOG event fondly - 914s in Hell!
bbrock
Thought I would share the high mount third brake light I installed today. I wanted something super stealth that didn't require any cutting or drilling. I went with this flexible LED strip for motorcycles. I posted details on the install on my build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2847290 I'm very happy with the result.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
StratPlayer
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 7 2019, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jan 4 2019, 06:10 PM) *

Looks professional. Where did you get it?

Wow I did this back in 03. I posted a thread about the install. Do a search and you should find it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.