Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reason for my motivation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
malcolm2
QUOTE(BPic @ Jan 10 2019, 07:04 AM) *

Alright, I'll start at the beginning. The car arrived in March 2018. I drove it 100 feet from the trailer to the garage and proceeded to take it apart.
Click to view attachment

I really like way all the color combos show up in this picture. I suppose it is a "bad" picture, but something about it....

Looks like the Creamsicle color. Plus no vinyl on the sails, 4 lug Fuchs. Black roof, chrome bumpers. The Long covers look gray, I guess they are not, but all the combos on the grainy picture are awesome. piratenanner.gif

Great work BTW.

EDIT.... for some reason the picture won't show up. I see the attachment ID here (on the edit screen) but not in the post... oh well.
Front yard mechanic
Great looking work. Is the chain lock in the driveway just for fun?
BPic
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Mar 26 2019, 10:04 AM) *

Great looking work. Is the chain lock in the driveway just for fun?

Ha! Didn't know what you referring to at first then I looked at the photos... The driveway is on an incline and the chain is bolted to the rotisserie and them anchored bolted to the concrete floor in the garage so she doesn't run away. biggrin.gif
BPic
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Mar 26 2019, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(BPic @ Jan 10 2019, 07:04 AM) *

Alright, I'll start at the beginning. The car arrived in March 2018. I drove it 100 feet from the trailer to the garage and proceeded to take it apart.
Click to view attachment

I really like way all the color combos show up in this picture. I suppose it is a "bad" picture, but something about it....

Looks like the Creamsicle color. Plus no vinyl on the sails, 4 lug Fuchs. Black roof, chrome bumpers. The Long covers look gray, I guess they are not, but all the combos on the grainy picture are awesome. piratenanner.gif

Great work BTW.

EDIT.... for some reason the picture won't show up. I see the attachment ID here (on the edit screen) but not in the post... oh well.

I agree the pics of it were way off. Believe it or not it was Silver even the rocker panels. Sails will go back on. Those first photos were horrible.
BPic
With the tub at the body shop I started work on the doors. I searched everywhere for an early "no-rust" door and I really don't think they exist. So I bought a late no-rust door and used it as a donor and I was amazed at the weight difference between the 2. The late door has to be 15-20 pounds heavier. Luckily the area I needed to replace is identical on both doors as long as I left all of the original holes on the original door.

The rust was extensive in that the metal was completely gone for almost the entire length of the bottom of the door.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Because of the contour it's like fitting a 3d puzzle piece into place. Cut, grind, fit, measure, cut, grind, fit, grind , fit, grind, fit....Repeat.

Click to view attachment

I then zapped it into place and took my own sweet time welding it in. Didn't want any metal to move so I would hit it with a few welds and walk away to do something else. If I could touch it and it was cool I'd hit it again and walk away. I have a mental issue when it comes to walking away from an incomplete job and have been known to push the limits on heat while welding only to have a bigger problem then when I started, so this was a major OCD win. Overall I'm happy with the results. It stayed nice and straight and now I just have to break out the grinder and the Dremel for the seal channels and deliver to the body shop.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I received a call from the painter and over the last 2 days he was able to get 90% of the metal straightened and all of the little dings etc. removed. He thinks he'll shoot high build primer this weekend. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
malcolm2
Looks good. I have tried to follow the same method and theory: Remove all the rust with the smallest cuts.

Word is the late doors are safer. IIRC there is also a bar or pipe that was attached across the length of the late door.
BPic
Received these photos from the painter this morning. piratenanner.gif

Man what a difference after seeing naked for so long!! w00t.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bbrock
Holy smokes you are moving fast, and great work too! My hat is off to you on that door bottom repair. I agonized over how I was going to tackle that and luckily didn't have to thanks to 914Werke and @Kelty360 . Your car is looking fantastic! cheer.gif
BPic
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 27 2019, 04:34 PM) *

Holy smokes you are moving fast, and great work too! My hat is off to you on that door bottom repair. I agonized over how I was going to tackle that and luckily didn't have to thanks to 914Werke and @Kelty360 . Your car is looking fantastic! cheer.gif

Thanks Brent! Coming from Mr. OCD - I consider that a huge compliment.
BPic
I received some new photos from the body shop. It's starting to look like something now!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And nope it's not going to be black. This is all primer.

He uses a shiny high build primer so he can see all of the flaws. I've never heard of this. All the primer I've ever seen is flat.

I can't wait to see it in color! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

preach
Nice progress you must be super excited. drooley.gif
BPic
Here's a short video my body guy sent me. Hard to hear but I think he's explaining what he's doing.

https://youtu.be/tlPRz3VAE2g

914werke
aktion035.gif
BPic
Decided I needed a large blast box and wow they are pricy. My company sells golf carts to the Caribbean and Africa and there was an old POS with a van box on the back that they gave me. Here it is now with the car removed and all set up for blasting. Should have done this months ago. Total cost $155
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bbrock
Good lord! When I first pulled this up, I thought I was looking at the back of an ambulance and thought something horrible had happened! Then realized it is really totally awesome! aktion035.gif
BPic
Yeah Brent maybe I should have squirted ketchup all over it. 134.gif It works great. I have a shop vac attached to remove the dust and I’m moving faster than ever! dog.gif
BPic
I've been out of the country more than in it for past month and a half. However my body guy has been very busy and here are a few shots. I decided, since it is a resto-mod, to go with a 2 stage paint. This is the first coat and it will return to the booth in a week after wet sanding and blocking for more clear. I don't have the name of the color but it was a one year color for the Porsche GT6.
I started getting nervous about my color choice a week before spraying and almost changed it to single stage and the original color. After seeing these photos, I'm glad I didn't chicken out. mueba.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Amazing to see the car at this point after 14 months. Can't wait to driving.gif but there is so much more to do.
Cairo94507
That looks amazing. Congratulations on reaching a milestone. beerchug.gif
bbrock
That's cool! piratenanner.gif Can't wait to see a pic of that color under natural sushine. Looks fantastic.
BPic
Thanks guys. I have video of it in sunlight but can’t figure out how to add video.
horizontally-opposed
Looks incredible.

Could it be "Dark Blue Metallic" (not the most memorable name...), which was offered for only a few months on the 2016 GT4—making it the rarest color on the GT4 other than PTS shades. DBM was offered on 981s, 991s, and the 918, but is rarely seen out in the world. One of Porsche's best dark blues of all time, imho.

Can't wait to see your car together in the sun. Bold choice, but I think it's gonna look good, and Porsche did a similar shade on a gorgeous 356 Carrera 2 in the 1960s…
Spoke
Love the color. Can't wait to see it all put together.
Maltese Falcon
Wicked color...I like it
porschetub
My aunt had the same horrible condition,our family is somewhat distant,talked to my cousin and asked after her and he said she was in a home but said not to visit as it would be a huge shock,I didn't go there as I wanted to remember her as she used to be..we were very close.
Amazing what you are doing,lost for words really...well done first.gif .
BPic
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 26 2019, 04:46 PM) *

Looks incredible.

Could it be "Dark Blue Metallic" (not the most memorable name...), which was offered for only a few months on the 2016 GT4—making it the rarest color on the GT4 other than PTS shades. DBM was offered on 981s, 991s, and the 918, but is rarely seen out in the world. One of Porsche's best dark blues of all time, imho.

Can't wait to see your car together in the sun. Bold choice, but I think it's gonna look good, and Porsche did a similar shade on a gorgeous 356 Carrera 2 in the 1960s…

You are correct and I said GT6 but it is from a GT4. My painter said it was the most expensive paint he’s ever used. Maybe that’s why they only used it for a short period of time. It has Metallic and a little pearl as well but not enough to be obnoxious.
BPic
My son made a video of us picking up the car from paint.

Let's see if this works...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22b4yt1rv7hx4fk/Mein 914.mp4?dl=0

Cairo94507
Very cool. Did you make it home safely? I would love to see some hi-res photos of that in the sunlight. beerchug.gif
BPic
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 17 2019, 09:31 AM) *

Very cool. Did you make it home safely? I would love to see some hi-res photos of that in the sunlight. beerchug.gif

Home safe and sound thanks. It started raining so I'll pull her out in the sun later this week for some better photos.
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
restore2seater
QUOTE(BPic @ Jun 17 2019, 07:46 AM) *

My son made a video of us picking up the car from paint.

Your son has some artistic talent. Nice video and beautiful color on the 914. thumb3d.gif
dt4
Great thread and work.
I lost my Dad to dementia last year so he'll not get to see my 914 when the time comes.
I have just finished the re-painting of his last car, a 2002 Toyota Corolla that had a lot of scrapes and damage to panels.
I unveiled it yesterday, it was fathers day over here so it seemed a good day to put it back on the road.

Keep up the great work
BPic
A little photo shoot in the sun for the first time in over 2 years. Finally get to see the depth of the paint.

GETTING CLOSER piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
Click to view attachment

Oscar
Cairo94507
Looking very nice. Keep 'em coming please. beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
That’s a great looking car. Keep going.
914werke
Good lookin color!
Root_Werks
That's coming along great!
AZBanks
Gorgeous!!!!
BPic
Thanks all. I'll try to keep posting now that I have more time at home. Still have a lot to do -Interior, AC system, some wiring, bumpers should be back any day now, and finish the rims.... oh and Plus plus plus...... beer3.gif
Mueller
Great looking 914, love that blue.
bbrock
Just Marvelous!!! How is your dad?
BPic
Thanks @bbrock

He's doing well, thanks for asking. He doesn't understand the lock down stuff and thankfully he doesn't remember how long it's been since I saw him. It's been 2 months now but we talk regularly and he always asks about "the car". He doesn't remember it's a Porsche and when he asks he always has the same response, A PORSCHE? Must doing well for yourself! biggrin.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(BPic @ Apr 27 2020, 01:16 PM) *

Thanks @bbrock

He's doing well, thanks for asking. He doesn't understand the lock down stuff and thankfully he doesn't remember how long it's been since I saw him. It's been 2 months now but we talk regularly and he always asks about "the car". He doesn't remember it's a Porsche and when he asks he always has the same response, A PORSCHE? Must doing well for yourself! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the update. It's a horrible disease but I love that he is still asking about the car and gets the surprise of learning how successful his Porsche-driving son is over and over. Here's looking forward to the first ride with him. beerchug.gif
Sprout
Beautiful! Looks like you're in the home stretch! smilie_pokal.gif
BPic
I'm very happy to say that I made it! Today is my Dads 85th birthday and he still remembered that I was building the car. And he was so proud to be going for a ride in something I built.

With COVID we haven't seen each other much since he is living in an assisted living facility and we are not allowed to visit. Today we got my mom and dad to come to our house for his birthday and he got to go for his first ride. I'm so happy I was able to get this car built before he forgot. (if you didn't read the full thread, he has dementia) Here he is going for a ride! My son edited the video.

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif beer3.gif to you Dad and birthday3.gif

https://youtu.be/-NClrVwCB_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NClrVwCB_I
Maltese Falcon
driving.gif thumb3d.gif biggrin.gif
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
fiacra
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Can't thank you enough for sharing that moment. smiley_notworthy.gif
Jett
well done!
tygaboy
Nothing better! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.