Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What shade of black and does it have to be urethane for the windshield area?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I have a windshield going into one of the 1974 cars tomorrow, and I believe that I’m supposed to paint the area below the windshield in a black paint before this is done. Is there a specific product in shade that is recommended? I believe I saw urethane, but does the paint formulation matter?

Thanks!
Larmo63
Black satin.

Something quality from the local hardware store. I use the primer/paint spray cans.

X - O Rust brand, works pretty well!
ConeDodger
No! You risk cracking your new windshield if you install it with urathane. Meant to be installed with butyl tape. WTF.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 7 2019, 03:38 PM) *

No! You risk cracking your new windshield if you install it with urathane. Meant to be installed with butyl tape. WTF.gif

agree.gif

...and the "paint" should be butyl primer as per the below thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=335253
Larmo63
I thought he meant the dash areas...... chair.gif
mb911

I was wondering this same thing recently.. My last -6 had urethane on it. Getting ready to do this soon and felt the urethane just made the cowl area more robust. I actually just searched the topic and couldn't find any real data?
Tdskip
Thank you for the responses, apologize about the slow follow up.

I was actually asking about the entire area, I wasn’t sure if where the window rests needs to be prepared first, I also wasn’t sure if there were areas of the dashboard that needed to be painted since they would otherwise be in accessible with the windshield in.

This will be the first time I had a windshield out of one of these so I’m not quite sure about how everything comes together..

Sorry for not being more clear.

mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 7 2019, 06:56 PM) *

I was wondering this same thing recently.. My last -6 had urethane on it. Getting ready to do this soon and felt the urethane just made the cowl area more robust. I actually just searched the topic and couldn't find any real data?

I like butyl if only because it doesn't leave a mess like urethane if you need to replace it down the road.

From what I have read, the technical reason for using butyl is there needs some give in the bond between the glass and the frame on our 914's, unlike modern cars where the urethane helps the glass become a structural element with the frame. A 911 even more so, It's glass is just held in by the rubber seal and floats within the frame.
914werke
agree.gif the Anecdotal evidence I can provide is having done a urethane install only 3 weeks after I hit an large pothole and cracked the windshield. Its Butyl only for me.
To your Q about paint, you can use "frit" paint to prep the frame before putting down the butyl rope. Also paint a flat black shadow around the Defrost vent openings.
Tdskip
Thank you very much for the additional information
Tdskip
How much of this area gets satin black?

I assume I’d be well served to remove that surface rust before painting?

Thanks

?Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Same question here.

Thanks!Click to view attachment
iankarr
You can see the before and after primer area in post 11 of this link...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=335253
Mikey914
It actually doesn't have to be painted black. In fact the factory didn't pai t black.
I think the confusion is from the more modern urethane. It adhears to glass that has been painted with a frit.

Others have went as far as to pai t the opening. If I were using the windshield chrome replacement rubber, I would use the front on the opening as without the extra 1/2" that the aluminum covers, the bead is clearly visable and it may hide some sins.

If you are using the butyl chord, I would only use the self etching grit if anything at all. It was designed to be installed on th he paint.

Hope that helps
Tdskip
Window is in - thanks for the discussion and education.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.