Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lifts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 26 2019, 06:31 PM) *

Just bought a maxjax for 1500 today delivered.. Was a flash sale.. Looking forward to using this..

direct or Costco?
mb911
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 27 2019, 06:19 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 26 2019, 06:31 PM) *

Just bought a maxjax for 1500 today delivered.. Was a flash sale.. Looking forward to using this..

direct or Costco?

Direct..
ctc911ctc
On my list - went to buy it today - price raised to 1279......sigh

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 17 2019, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Feb 15 2019, 04:25 AM) *

Quick Jack is another great option. The lift sections are trapezoidal so they don’t need to be anchored to the floor and there’s no minimum concrete thickness. It doesn’t lift as high as max Jax, but the 21 inches or so is more than adequate to work on a creeper. In my opinion, there are really only two workable heights anyway....on your back or above your head. If you don’t have the ceiling height for the latter, quick jack is an easy and portable solution. I use it in my small garage and there’s an unboxing, setup, and 914 lift video in my signature...

Click to view attachment

Those are on sale this weekend at home depot for 1100. Tempting

Carl La Fong
Mid size lifts are great. This garage has a 7 foot ceiling. The lift will go up almost the full 4 feet if the targa bar and the windshield rise up between the ceiling joists. A cheap furniture dolly (shanghai tool supply) and beech chair are great for working under the car. This lift also came with rubber pads that slide on the lift arms allowing for more stability.
rhodyguy
Welcome back Elliot! You've been missed 'my little chickadee'. cheer.gif
76-914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 3 2019, 10:22 AM) *

What gave it away, Kev? The 747 decal; his mastery of spelling; the OSHA rejected chair; or perhaps the pseudonym? Psuedonym? Wait a sheeplove.gif minute. Elyut would never use a pseudonym. In fact, his pontifications against such were posted quite often. shades.gif
rhodyguy
Man...that's a lot of quotes. Quote happy Wednesday! smilie_pokal.gif

That was the first kernel to fall from the silo. Wiki took me to 99%. Pictures? shades.gif 100%. wink.gif

Carl La Fong is a Psuedonym WC Fields used for a screenplay he wrote. Watch much TCM?

Mystery over. So...do we address you as Carl or Elliot?
Carl La Fong
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 3 2019, 12:22 PM) *

Do I know him?
Carl La Fong
I have no idea who you are all talking about.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Apr 3 2019, 04:46 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 3 2019, 12:22 PM) *

Do I know him?

I thought Elliot's new user name was "Wei Tu Low" shades.gif
sb914
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Apr 3 2019, 01:48 PM) *

I do!
914-300Hemi
I just placed an order for a MaxJax 2 post lift. Looked at scissor lifts but didn’t like the weight, extra delivery fees and i had to build ramps.

It gets delivered next week. piratenanner.gif
Krieger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 3 2019, 10:22 AM) *

I'd recognize that scoop anywhere!
mb911
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Apr 3 2019, 07:41 PM) *

I just placed an order for a MaxJax 2 post lift. Looked at scissor lifts but didn’t like the weight, extra delivery fees and i had to build ramps.

It gets delivered next week. piratenanner.gif

After having mine for a few weeks I can tell you this. The hoses are really in the way. I need to find a way to cover them like what they do for trade shows and electrical cords..
76-914
I'm lucky there. My hose slips into the recess of the slabs expansion joint so the hose is semi recessed. The best accessory I have found for my Max Jack are the Harbor Freight small furniture dollies. They allow me to use the 4" extensions that come with it. Raise the car 3-4" then lower onto the dollies. Once on the dolly the extensions can be fitted. Why furniture dollies instead of blocks. Try it and you'll find out. Bottom line: Any lift is better than no lift. Get what you can afford and whatever fits. beerchug.gif
mlindner
Ben, just get a cement blade for your circular saw. Saw two groves 3/4 inch apart and 3/4 inch deep, hit with hammer/chisel. I ran mine then filled channel with flexible cement caulk. See bottom right corner gives you a little peak of the flat floor. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
914_teener
QUOTE(mlindner @ Apr 4 2019, 11:15 AM) *

Ben, just get a cement blade for your circular saw. Saw two groves 3/4 inch apart and 3/4 inch deep, hit with hammer/chisel. I ran mine then filled channel with flexible cement caulk. See bottom right corner gives you a little peak of the flat floor. Best, MarkClick to view attachment

Curious......

What is the capacity of that lift?

mepstein
Hose Protector Ramp - sold on Amazon

mlindner
Ben, found a better shot before I filled the grove. Again, lower right corner.Click to view attachment
mlindner
914 teener. Bendpak, 6,000 lbs. love it.
mlindner
ctc911ctc, just looking at your garage size again....a two post lift as nice as they are will take up much of your space with the car in. A scissor lift would give you that space back but limited as to the height. For 911s and 914s the scissor is especially nice since there is nothing in the middle of the car (exhaust, drive line etc.) Have fun, Mark
mlindner
Just noticed, two out of the three two post lifts mentioned are to wide for your garage....over 120 inch.
mb911
@mlinder

I suppose I could do that.. Not a bad idea..
914_teener
QUOTE(mlindner @ Apr 4 2019, 12:11 PM) *

ctc911ctc, just looking at your garage size again....a two post lift as nice as they are will take up much of your space with the car in. A scissor lift would give you that space back but limited as to the height. For 911s and 914s the scissor is especially nice since there is nothing in the middle of the car (exhaust, drive line etc.) Have fun, Mark

Do you think with a 987.1 I could still get at the water pump in the front of the engine?

Thanks for those pics.
Dredwin
I embraced my hose...bought a pool noodle, cut it open and ran the hose through it. I was worried I'd step on the hose and puncture it so at least the pool noodle protects it. I have the scissor lift though and wanted the flexibility of moving the lift around (and wanting to cut the floor up).
mlindner
914 teener, good question and I do have a Cayman.....I have not done the water pump or belts yet. I believe with the extra work of putting the extension on and getting the car another 8 inch above the lift it would work. The few pictures I have of the Cayman were just to clean last year before the parade. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 4 2019, 05:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mlindner @ Apr 4 2019, 12:11 PM) *

Do you think with a 987.1 I could still get at the water pump in the front of the engine?

Thanks for those pics.

I'd go for 2 post like maxjack on the water cooleds, crapload of stuff runs down the center. I the took the tranny and driveshaft out of a C4S yesterday morning, IMS solution, no way could you do that with a table lift.
Today I have to replace the clutch slave cyl in another C4S, PITA getting my big mitts up there even with a 2 post.
mlindner
I agree Mark, with doing that much work...trans, engines a two post is a must.
Hans Zupp
QUOTE(sb914 @ Apr 3 2019, 11:29 PM) *
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Apr 3 2019, 01:48 PM) *
I do!
I zink I no whoo he be ...
Krieger
Now I am considering the move to the two post lift. I have had an EZ car lift for at least 10 years, but I want to stop rolling around on the ground and stand or as close to that as possible. I have a good size garage that is 25'×25' with 10' high ceilings. What are the electrical requirements for these lifts? Is 110 enough?
914-d
One of the lifts I have is 110v, the other is 220v. The first is sold by
twinbusch.com. It is rated 9500 lbs, but6 nowhere near as stout as my forward lift rated at 9000. Both work fine
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 28 2019, 11:43 AM) *

Now I am considering the move to the two post lift. I have had an EZ car lift for at least 10 years, but I want to stop rolling around on the ground and stand or as close to that as possible. I have a good size garage that is 25'×25' with 10' high ceilings. What are the electrical requirements for these lifts? Is 110 enough?

Every two post lift I have ever seen requires 220V ac to work. Have an electrician wire up a new circuit from your breaker panel to the lift.

mb911
The maxjax works on 110 .. I have used all kinds and this is my favorite so far..
oldschool
Click to view attachment I got this off of crags list its a tire chief has work out fine.
sithot
A friend has put these in his latest dealership. If only.... drooley.gif

https://rotarylift.com/wp-content/uploads/2...y_Smartlift.pdf

Click to view attachment

I like no encumbrances under a car. Having complete access to everything was the reason I went with a 2 post.
The 4 post storage lift allows some work but it's still best used as a storage device. Bumping your head is a common occurrence.

FWIW: It's apparently a little known fact that a third "leg" is recommended for 2 post lifts.
I use an older Rotary screw jack for extra stability when they're up high or if there's going to be some "tugging" on non-compliant nuts and bolts.wink.gif

The Rotary RS4 is sold on Amazon for about $140. Well worth it for added insurance.

Also recommend HD rubber lift pads that are cut for seam welds. Easier on the chassis.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(sithot @ Sep 29 2019, 06:39 AM) *

FWIW: It's apparently a little known fact that a third "leg" is recommended for 2 post lifts.

agree.gif

I always put a stand under the back of a 914 when I have it up on my lift. I have seen a car fall off a lift, and I don't want it to happen to me.

I am not paranoid... just convinced the world is out to get me.

mb911
I need one that is about 48" might have to make one.. I do like the idea..
sithot
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 29 2019, 02:52 PM) *

I need one that is about 48" might have to make one.. I do like the idea..

You could start with this. It's 80"
Stark Screw Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.