Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 9-4-green
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
dstudeba
That sucks about the accident, but good work banging it out.

My favorite part of the picture is how the 914 is so far below the parking tennis ball.
AZBanks
News Flash, brazing is not the right solution for anything under high stress(like trunk hinge mounts)

Not to worry, it is all going away.

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
Now you see it, now you don't.

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
JWest to the rescue.

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
After a few choice words trying to line the bolts up blind for the JWest hinge mounts, the trunk lid is finally back on. The the bolts are installed inside the fender through holes into the mount inside the engine compartment. If the mount is not in exactly the right spot, the holes don't line up and you can't get the bolts in. It would have been MUCH easier as a two person job, not a one person job at 2am.

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
BTW, This trunk lid has the holes from a luggage rack and I found one luggage rack support. I don't need it, it anyone wants it, it is yours for the cost of shipping.

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
The cylinder was hydrolocked and the float bowls in both Webers were full of a nasty mix of water and gas. I cleaned out the bowls and tried to clean the junk out of the jets.
I was able to get the car to run but not anywhere close to how it needs to run to pass emissions. So I took it down to Don Jackson Enterprises who has been able to tune it to get it to pass emissions the last two times it had to go in.
DJ tried to work his magic but it just wasn't running right so he did some tests including compression testing each cylinder.
Two were over 100 and two were down around 50.

So now I have to decide what to do.

I can try to clean up/repair the major oil leaks on the original 1.7 liter engine and put it back in the car hoping it is solid.
I can rebuild the original engine as a 2056

I can rebuild the 1.8 liter engine that is currently in it.

I can rebuild the 2.5 liter Subaru engine that just came out of my son's Baja and do a Subie conversion.

What would you do?
Cairo94507
2056 with stock F.I. is my vote. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
agree.gif
kerensky
QUOTE(johnhora @ Sep 21 2019, 05:38 PM) *
.there's no back seat and you can only take one other person with you...fewer teens in the car means less trouble.

Au contraire. I got 5 people in my 'teener in college. It was wintertime so I had the top off. driving.gif
Anyway, fun thread so far, enjoying the story. smile.gif Sad that the experimental unterseeboot training 86'd the motor - 50 lbs of compression is really bad. If you have the time, rebuilding the original to 2056 seems like the best route. There's gotta be a good thread on that around here somewhere...
AZBanks
I am doing a quick repair to get it back on the road in time for RSR 7.

I have started the disassembly.

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
head

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
jugs

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
This is my first time doing major work on a type 4.
Is it normal to have all the carbon and oil build-up where the heads and the cylinders meet?
Shivers
From one degree of accumulation to another. Every old air cooled engine I have pulled apart has had some.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.