Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tracking the 914 - Happy New Year!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
BillJ
Yep i did the test fit last night and felt good with no hitting anywhere so pretty happy about that. I have the pedal cluster coming from Brad Stone and PMB redid my calipers and sending new lines. New MC is prepped on the bench for when that all arrives. Will need to do final fitment when i put the pedals back in.

My car is only track so i dont get concerned on being subtle with it. Putting in some historic placements and brands but not really copying a particular car.

Anyway just wanted to say hi to my fellow black.6!
Justinp71
@infraredcalvin So my motor is a 3.2 with DC40 cams. 9.5:1, enlarged heads, about 275hp is my guestimate based on a similar 3.2 I saw dynoed pulling about 250hp at the wheels (~290hp crank) it was just running slightly larger headers and intake ports.

my carb settings-

• 46mm PMO carbs, 38mm vents
• 160 mains (give 12.8-13.4 afr wot max, @68f air temp) , (170 mains give 12.0- 12.6 afr WOT)
• 190 air
• F11
• 55 or 60 idle, 1.76mm IAC

Its tuned to be rich at idle (like 11:1), otherwise the transition to the main jets isn't smooth. Probably could tune that out but plan to go ITB by the end of the year (have the kit already).

I normally run a magnaflow 2in 2 out muffler for best performance. I have Ben's sport muffler on at the moment it is a great muffler, but it had slightly less performance than the magnaflow. Looks more 914-6 gt original though.
Justinp71
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 14 2022, 04:15 AM) *

Yep i did the test fit last night and felt good with no hitting anywhere so pretty happy about that. I have the pedal cluster coming from Brad Stone and PMB redid my calipers and sending new lines. New MC is prepped on the bench for when that all arrives. Will need to do final fitment when i put the pedals back in.

My car is only track so i dont get concerned on being subtle with it. Putting in some historic placements and brands but not really copying a particular car.

Anyway just wanted to say hi to my fellow black.6!

Hey Bill how tall are you? I have been looking for a good 914 race seat solution that doesnt wack my head on the roof with a helmet on. I am 6' tall. So far the only thing I like is a stock 914 seat or I test fitted my kirkey 55 series 16" wide from my Exocet.
BillJ
I am 6 ' and i had a few inches to spare. Was not bad at all. My upper roll bars curve tight along the roofline so that helps a lot. My seat is using side mounts bolted to 914 rails with custom adjuster bar acriss the front.
Justinp71
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 14 2022, 12:27 PM) *

I am 6 ' and i had a few inches to spare. Was not bad at all. My upper roll bars curve tight along the roofline so that helps a lot. My seat is using side mounts bolted to 914 rails with custom adjuster bar acriss the front.

Thanks for the tips. Is it this seat-
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vms-9666...jBoCaewQAvD_BwE
BillJ
Yes that is the one. Please buy from Bob @naroescape though. He is a member here.

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/
infraredcalvin
No track time, but spending some time at the track with some heavy hitters.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Ugh, long time no post! Cars been running well, I’ve got a few projects ahead of finding my lost hp, one involves finishing the old race car and getting her sold - but that’s for another thread…

Working on a few projects to finally make the new one mine. Last week at Streets of Willow it got well into the mid to high 80s, we also had some long, 40 min sessions with only 20 min downtime between, so she was running a bit warm. The existing fan works well enough to keep her under or at 100 C (212 F) on the street with spirited driving on a 90 deg day. But with no shroud, and this ridiculous fan setup, it too much for the track.

Click to view attachment

The fan looks t be from an old large appliance, but it sits on the edge of the cooler, with about .5 to .75 inch gap between the cooler and the edges of the fan housing. It’s also larger than the surface area of the cooler.

I feel a couple of flush fitting spal 5.2 in fans would work and look much better. And with each pulling 342 cfm, I should get plenty of air sucked through the fan vs around it.
infraredcalvin
Old one out, two new ones in.

Click to view attachment

Just need to make and install a pigtail. The PO had wired the old fan to the rear defrost switch, no reason to change at this point.

Much cleaner (and lighter) set. Next comes shrouding….
stownsen914
For a track car, I'd argue that ducting, and making sure the hot air has an exit from the trunk, will be more effective than fans.

The main advantage for fans is in stop and go traffic on a hot day. Once you're moving, ducting air to the cooler will be a lot more effective.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jun 6 2022, 01:31 PM) *

For a track car, I'd argue that ducting, and making sure the hot air has an exit from the trunk, will be more effective than fans.

The main advantage for fans is in stop and go traffic on a hot day. Once you're moving, ducting air to the cooler will be a lot more effective.

Agree with you 100%, I still do drive the car on the street, but reducing the bulk of the fan will aid in my future shrouding plans. Also, all the tracks out here are technically in the desert, I’ve run Fontana in over 115 degree heat on the track, I like the extra measure of control for cool down.
infraredcalvin
I need to revitalize this thread, been messing around with the 930 and doing a little work on the old race car lately…

Yesterday I did The Distinguished Gentleman’s Drive in support of prostate cancer prevention and mens suicide prevention. I haven’t used the 930 much because of some bad oil leaks. But I did a valve adj (the new valve seals cured most of the major leaks) and an oil change, then preceded to drive a total of 250 miles in 85/90 degree weather over sat and sun. I’d say she ran like a champ… driver was a bit sweaty all dressed up though.

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Aside from my buddy’s GT350, my 930 proved to be the big bad bully of the group, but there was a 912E in the group, he stayed towards the back of the pack…

Click to view attachment

Overall, it was a fun group, definitely needed a 914 in the group… maybe next year…
infraredcalvin
Ok, back to our regularly scheduled content…

Last drive home on the uhaul trailer, my front spoiler broke off, I’ve been toying with going to a gt front valance and taking off the 5 inch? Rear spoiler from the deck lid.

Overall I’m looking for better top end speed to close the gap to the gt3s in the club. I’m headed to Chuckwalla raceway on the 7th…. Thoughts?

Also going to try no muffler. See if I feel any gains without. Pipes are about 10-12” short of the rear fascia, anyone see any problems with just running open vs getting some trumpets to extend beyond the fascia?

stownsen914
It's best to get a pair of trumpets. Without them you'd lose out on the scavenge effect of having a tailpipe after the collectors. Might even be worse than the muffler ...

18" is a good compromise length for the straight pipes.
brant
The motors really like a cross over for torque

I Dyno’’d straight open pipes back to back with my current system and gained 14 ft lbs when the banks came together

Not sure you could see the difference without using a dyno
Seat of the pants…. Your brain will hear the noise difference, but only a dyno will measure it
stownsen914
True about the crossover. it can be a connecting pipe, or the merged, center exit GT3 style that everyone likes now. Or just bolt on the pipes to enjoy the noise smile.gif

One other thing, open exhaust usually requires a small jet change to account for the freer flow. It's usually enough to keep it simple and just increase main jets 1-2 sizes.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Sep 27 2022, 08:10 AM) *

True about the crossover. it can be a connecting pipe, or the merged, center exit GT3 style that everyone likes now. Or just bolt on the pipes to enjoy the noise smile.gif

One other thing, open exhaust usually requires a small jet change to account for the freer flow. It's usually enough to keep it simple and just increase main jets 1-2 sizes.

Thanks for the confirmation on jets, I was ready for that. Was hoping to test out on the track, but without trumpets doesn’t sound too smart so I’ll wait…
brant
I’ve got a pair of mega phones I need to sell soon
infraredcalvin
Dammit, bunch of enablers here... LOL

@Brant just left you a pm...

OH and before i forget again, what's the opening at the flange side measure?
brant
these have a 2 inch opening at the forward flange.
infraredcalvin
Thanks Brant!!!
Justinp71
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Sep 26 2022, 10:14 PM) *

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled content…

Last drive home on the uhaul trailer, my front spoiler broke off, I’ve been toying with going to a gt front valance and taking off the 5 inch? Rear spoiler from the deck lid.

Overall I’m looking for better top end speed to close the gap to the gt3s in the club. I’m headed to Chuckwalla raceway on the 7th…. Thoughts?

Also going to try no muffler. See if I feel any gains without. Pipes are about 10-12” short of the rear fascia, anyone see any problems with just running open vs getting some trumpets to extend beyond the fascia?

Nice to see this thread revived!

I have not heard of anything outperforming the magnaflow 2in / 2 out muffler. Came recommended from knight racing. I tried Ben's sport muffler for looks and it clearly lost some power, so eventually I put the magnaflow back on. I think it gave me 20hp.

A pic I have handy from a 911. This 3.2 car made 253hp at the wheels and it only had DC40 cams.

I drove a high compression 3.0 car once with dual supertrapps. It was quick but not as fast as I would have thought, I think the supertraps slowed it down. I have heard of straight up mega phones ripping for power though.

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
FWIW I've always run cookie-cutter type megaphones on track and my car seems to do very well with that setup but it was initially jetted/tuned for those. Would be interesting to test (dyno) an x-over open pipe setup like I've seen on some of the 911s.
infraredcalvin
Wow, I never felt that unprepared before. Saturday through Wednesday I was supposed to be prepping the car, organizing and packing tools and gear, then pre loading the car onto a trailer borrowed from a friend (first time). Didn’t get to do any of it, had a packed weekend and a list of honey dos before leaving. I took Thursday off in the hopes I could sleep in a bit, hook up the already loaded trailer and head to the track before traffic started.

Well Thursday was a bit of a cluster…. I woke up early to pack and left the house about 7 AM, halfway to the shop I realized I don’t pack my helmet… so back to the house (thankfully my shop is only 15 min away). I stopped to take a breath, checked all my gear once again to make sure I haven’t forgotten anything else.

I got to the shop, cleaned up the megaphones I got from Brant and installed them, started up, idle was ok, I was rich on the muffler, so idle basically got a bit leaner with the megaphones. No time (and nowhere) to test WOT so I loaded the car on the trailer only to realize the big box of hold-downs I had planned to use was nowhere to be found…. The only other car I had access to was my 930, so out she came, to be used as an errand car…

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Finally got on the road around 1:30ish, made it to the track by 5:30. This is a pic from Friday, but it shows Brant’s megaphones on the car…
Click to view attachment
Justinp71

Tracking can be so time consuming, but so much fun! So how did it do?

stownsen914
Love the look of the megaphones
infraredcalvin
For the most part, car ran well. I started with putting 101 race gas in the tank and ran my first session with an eye on the afr gauge. At wot i kept seeing lean spikes into the 17/18s, after a few laps I brought her in for a main jet change.

46s we’re running 150 main jests, so I bumped up to 170s. I noticed a low rpm bog, but mid to high rpm were right on the 12s. So instead of fussing all day, I left it and ran it.

She ran nice and smooth all day, in the 100+ deg heat on track without a hitch until my 2nd to last session of the day. The low idle bog got worse, it seemed to drift into the low to mid rpm range. I checked fuel pressure and noticed I was only getting 1.5 psi, so I turned it up and got in a solid last few sessions. When I got back to the pits after my last run she was running funny, my fuel pressure was way back up. Adjusted back down to 3.5 and loaded her on the trailer for the ride home.

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
At home I tried to prep for the “pop up headlight” themed C&C at PECLA, so I needed to put the muffler back on and jet back to 150. Got it all done then realized number 3 bowl was flooding. So now I need to figure that mess out…. Ahhh it never ends…
Justinp71
Well at least you got the car out, how was the power? Did you ever figure out your low power issue?

Sounds like the carb needs to be cleaned. Or maybe need new fuel filters?

Years ago when I had a very low amount of fuel in the tank I took off the gas tank lid then used a wet/dry vac to suck out all the debri from the gas tank bottom (recommended by a friend). Then installed 3 new filters (pump, engine compartment, carbs). Haven't gotten any plugs in the carbs since. I also went to PMO's about 6-7 years ago. I am probably due for another cleaning though... hope this helps.
infraredcalvin
Yes it was fun to get her out, power was better, still not solving my overall power issue. I need to measure compression and check the cam specs, I’m not doing that till my next engine out.

I just changed the filters, but I need to drain and check the tank bladder and foam, I’ll bet I’ve got foam falling apart.

Too many projects and too many hobbies!
campbellcj
Can relate - I'm looking at some jetting changes now as well (new exhaust) and also have had plenty of issues with the fuel system & carbs - the tiniest bit of crud, foam, sealant, old gas...
infraredcalvin
Credit where credit is due… haven’t driven her for 2 months, she fired right up, so went for a leisurely drive in the canyon…

https://youtu.be/dN5wTdLEDlw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN5wTdLEDlw
Justinp71

Looks like a nice road! Great benefit of being street legal is you can dust off the cob webs before the track!

Charles Freeborn
Nice!
I'd love to be able to shake down my track car before all the logistics of hauling it to a track. But, alas, nowhere near legal. Fortunately my coaching positions give me free track time.
Your car sounds great.
infraredcalvin
Finally, first track day of the year this week! My friend got a provisional membership at The Thermal Club down past Palm Springs. We have a little vintage group heading out there Wed to run the track for the day Thursday. Finally got some new tires, R888Rs for the old girl. I was burning up 10 year old R888s I’m assuming were cycled out. I’m really curious to feel the difference. Did a quick alignment, wanted to bring the front toe out a hair more, I was previously running almost neutral.

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
She’s ready to go!

Click to view attachment

Locked and loaded!

Click to view attachment
BillJ
Love your trailer! And blackmis an awesome color on these.cars. of course i am biased
infraredcalvin
Thanks, the whole rig is a friends, the trailer is HUGE, I shouldn't need it this week, but I like having the power, shade and AC that comes with...

I'm still looking for an open trailer - wish that trailex in the classifieds with the green track car was closer...

Click to view attachment

As for black car, yes, I love it, it brings out the Darth Vader in me. Original color is light ivory, I’m torn with going back at some point, but that’s not for a while…
BillJ
I.have EXACTLY the same scenario. Originally white now black.
infraredcalvin
Wow, The Thermal Club really lived up to the hype, had a great track day today!

Click to view attachment

We were the anomaly out there today, most of what they have is new hardware, we had a pre war sprint car, the Samson 911 RSR, 2 speedsters, a 356 abarth, a sunbeam tiger and my 914-6. Obviously Samson took the title for the fasted lap, but the 914-6 captured 2nd (with some coaxing from Samson)…
campbellcj
Congrats on a fun outing and I agree you've got a sweet truck/trailer rig! If I ever start tracking my car regularly again I'd love to get a small enclosed trailer. Have had my same old beater open one for 20 years now.
infraredcalvin
Not sure if I mentioned previously, but my wife and kids got me a Garmin Catalyst for Xmas, I took it out to Thermal with me for the first time… the track configuration we ran was not in the device, so I set up an new track and let the gps do its thing. I was getting data right away. While it’s not going to tell you where to shave seconds of your lap times, it does pick out the spots where you could shave off tenths. Below is my fastest lap, of course it was the one when I was being coaxed by Samson…. I was overdriving the car and missed several turn-ins and apexes, I was diving deep to try and shave distance between me and Samson…. The catalyst picked these up and identified them as “opportunities”… Cool gadget, I’ll keep messing with it, three’s more functions I haven’t even used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwE8XTUApJ4
Justinp71

Cool! I just got a catalyst last year, they are great and super simple to use, love it. Seems like your 914 could beat that Samson with more practice, but I am sure just getting it out was a blast!
Charles Freeborn
Looks like a fun track. Way out of my leaguel / budget...
The Catalyst is a neat unit. I've got several friends that run them. I'm still stuck in the AiM solo camp, as I have numerous friends that use them and we share data files that we can overlay to see where one of us is faster (or slower) than another in specific areas we want to work on. I think the Catalyst can do the same.
infraredcalvin
Justin, yeah, not so sure about that, he’s holding back a bit, he runs a lap time about 5-6 sec fastener. He did say he was surprised I could keep up as well as I did. He’s also got big fat Avon slicks vs my r888rs, but yes there’s a few seconds there for me… hopefully next time I’ll be a bit closer..

Charles, for sure out of my budget too, nice to be a guest though! We were messing with the different functions, I like the real time feedback, it’s definately designed for the hobbyist/novice-intermediate track day enthusiast. I’m lucky to have been to a few racing schools and have access to some great coaches, anything the catalyst found I had already mentally picked up on, the difference between this lap and the optimal lap was less than a second, I was expecting it to find a few seconds…

I’m not knocking it, and I’d love to shave a sec off my lap times, but it’s only as good as the driver, and it does identify and help develop consistencies…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.