Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another rustoration project…1972 914-6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
9146C
I appreciate those who responded to my other post last week about installing the GT fender flares.

Today, I mounted both passenger side flares (well, tacked in place anyway!).

As planned, I started by tacking on bottom both ends and slowly worked toward the middle, cutting about 12 - 14 inches at a time and tacking as I went.

I'm happy how it turned out!

I think I understand better now how some of you mention the bottoms will need reshaping...mine were installed "lower" to give me what I thought would be a better top arch blend.

Found another PO patch on the lower front fender...it was actually done well with the exception of the "lathering" of bondo!

Thank you again to everyone for the feedback prior installing these flares!
Cairo94507
I think your placement is spot on. beerchug.gif
mepstein
PRS914-6 did a write up on cutting off the bottom of the flair and reshaping it to blend in better.
9146C
Thank you Gentlemen!

This site has a wealth of information! Much appreciated!
9146C
Driver's side flares now also tacked into place.
9146C
Still working on the bottom side of the fender flares and "metal shaping" them to better fit the rocker panels.

Started a small job I'd been putting off...after removing the seam sealer from the bottom of the quarter panel where I had to replace the door jam, found a pretty decent sized hole.

Fabbed up a small piece to replace in this area...still have to fit/weld it in place, but, happy how it turned out.

9146C
I think the bottom side is finally done! (I suspect some folks won't necessarily approve of my choice of bottom coating...)

Media blasted the entire bottom side, sealed all the seams with SEM Seam Sealer, epoxy primed the underside, then finished sprayed with UPOL Raptor Bedliner...I'm happy how it turned out...I was never a fan of colored wheel wells, although if one were inclined, I'm sure you could paint directly over the textured bedliner for a close to factory "ripple" look.

Finally on to the top side finish bodywork/filling. It's been a long six months!
wysri9
Fantastic work - oh to have those welding skills..... smile.gif

9146C
Thanks for the feedback!

BTW, I actually lived in the Granite City between 2005-07; close to the Atholl Hotel on King's Gate. Fond memories!

Thanks again!
9146C
Off the rotisserie and onto a temporary car dolly.

I didn't feel like welding up a dolly so I made a cheap one out of lumber...used simple pipe fittings to match the four body mount locations (capped with a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer...worked out well).

Now onto the final body work/filling.
Cairo94507
The underside looks nice. I think a lot of people use the bed-liner type spray on the underneath. It's tough and provides a nice sound insulating benefit too. beerchug.gif
9146C
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 19 2020, 03:00 PM) *

The underside looks nice. I think a lot of people use the bed-liner type spray on the underneath. It's tough and provides a nice sound insulating benefit too. beerchug.gif

Thank you for the feedback!

I'm really pleased with how the Upol coating turned out...and how relatively easy it was to apply.

As mentioned, some may not like it, but, I think it looks great and it should be very durable for the bottom side.

Thanks again!
bbrock
QUOTE(9146C @ Jun 12 2020, 12:38 PM) *

I think the bottom side is finally done! (I suspect some folks won't necessarily approve of my choice of bottom coating...)

Media blasted the entire bottom side, sealed all the seams with SEM Seam Sealer, epoxy primed the underside, then finished sprayed with UPOL Raptor Bedliner...I'm happy how it turned out...I was never a fan of colored wheel wells, although if one were inclined, I'm sure you could paint directly over the textured bedliner for a close to factory "ripple" look.

Finally on to the top side finish bodywork/filling. It's been a long six months!

Great work! A lot of us use UPOL Raptor as undercoating. I had mine tinted to match the body color but a lot of cars left the dealer with black undercoating so IMHO, either works. I love the Raptor in this application.
9146C
@bbrock : Great work! A lot of us use UPOL Raptor as undercoating. I had mine tinted to match the body color but a lot of cars left the dealer with black undercoating so IMHO, either works. I love the Raptor in this application.
[/quote]

Great point on the "tintability" of the UPOL Raptor Liner! Thank you!

Starting now with the surface filling. Mounted the doors temporarily...really, really happy how the door gaps turned out...that was always on my mind following the longitudinal repair, as well as the height of the replacement sail panels at the door handle.

Starting to come together.
9146C
Fill, sand, prime, repeat...

Sometimes it seems never ending! I finally started using a half sheet of sandpaper wrapped around a 2" PVC pipe to get the contour of the fender flares...looking a whole lot better without the look of cottage cheese!

The dark primer has been my guide coat to check for smoothness...sanded off after every new application.

The "oil canning" on the flares was a little disappointing, but, that's working itself out too.

Hoping to get everything sanded down by next week to apply an initial coat of polyester primer.
Cairo94507
How are you addressing the oil canning? You definitely do not want to have that problem when you put color on. Torch, hammer, dolly and a compressed air line should take care to it. beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 24 2020, 10:38 AM) *

How are you addressing the oil canning? You definitely do not want to have that problem when you put color on. Torch, hammer, dolly and a compressed air line should take care to it. beerchug.gif

Depends how bad really and perhaps too late ,the way the OP is working he should get it right and certainly has the skills,if the car is repainted in white its less of an issue also.
Well done smilie_pokal.gif .
Dion
Another thread I’ve somehow not seen before.
That’s some very nice work. Look forward to seeing and learning more.
Cheers, Dion
rgalla9146
At you skill level I'm sure you'll resolve the oil can issue.
Can I suggest a method to shape the flare flanges ?
There are pictures and a description in my build thread 'GT project' big day
attached is a pic of the idea.
White GT ? Great color !
9146C
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The "oil canning" I experienced was primarily on the top side of the rear flares with several indentations as delivered.

The front flares were much better with only 1 or 2 imperfections.

If I had access to an English Wheel, it may have been easier to smooth out the rears before installation.

After welding the fenders on, I did heat/hammer out the worst of the indentations.

I'm actually using the Evercoat 156 body filler...very easy to work with. Surprisingly, the foot long 2" PVC pipe (using a rotating hand movement) really helped to smooth out the transition of the body/flares.

I'm really happy with the location/blend of the front and rear flares based on the numerous photos I studied prior to installing these.

@rgalla9146 : Certainly enjoyed viewing your thread! Thanks! (More motivation for me!)

Next week, I'll be sending my transmission up to Dr Evil to have my Wavetrac LSD installed and have an inspection performed on the internals...excited for this work to be completed as my project progresses.
9146C
Getting closer...maybe 3-4 small areas to complete...
Cairo94507
That looks terrific. I can't wait to see it all blocked and in color. beerchug.gif
djway
Thats gonna make a nice coffee table once you get the car off of it .....
9146C
This has been an exercise in patience!!

Twice before, I thought I had it "perfect"...only to find imperfections again!

Third time is a charm! (Third coat of polyester primer that is...after finding new "issues" after the two previous coats.)

This should be my final block sand now and then apply a single coat of urethane primer prior to top coat.

Finally happy how this has turned out.
horizontally-opposed
Your work is deeply inspiring!

Just got lost in your pics for awhile, and so cool to see where the car started and where it is now. SO much possibility and fun from here...

beerchug.gif
bbrock
Nice! Mine took three rounds of polyester and block sanding too so I know that feeling. She's looking great!
9146C
Thank you for the words of encouragement Gentlemen!

Truthfully, I think I may be teetering on the brink of "project burn-out". Thankfully, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Just a rough guesstimate, but, estimating I've worked on this for about 20-25 hours per week for the last 40 weeks.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy (nothing worthwhile ever is!)...I just underestimated what it was really going to take.

It's much clearer to me now why many people here have said to buy the best 914 you can afford! So true!

At least I'll have the experience under my belt when it's said and done!

I'll be taking a little bit of a breather the next few weeks...Louisiana's infamous "Love Bug Season" is not a good time for paint work!

Appreciate this community for the help and inspiration!
9146C
Block sanded the third coat of poly primer. Still have some sanding left to do (primarily the door jams and the engine lid), but, getting closer to spraying the urethane primer prior to top coat.
Root_Werks
So close! Get some color on that 914! biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Looking great. smilie_pokal.gif

Looks like you are but I always check the fender well lip edges and the bottoms of the fenders and doors. I see lots of painted 914s where they seem to overlook those areas when painting. beerchug.gif
9146C
Thanks for the feedback Gentlemen!

Affirmative on being sure to spray the fender well lips and specifically under the doors.

9146C
This week, got the final layer of urethane primer applied and almost finished sanding/ready for paint. Hopefully next week it will be painted.

Just for giggles, I put together a video of my project so far...I was feeling a little burned out...this helped me to visualize the progress so far...and get me motivated to finish this up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsE5iefe9Eg
9146C
Not the greatest pictures, but, I've finally got it sprayed!!! Woo-hoo!

Now to let it cure for a bit before I sand it down/polish it smooth.
Root_Werks
That looks like paint!
9146C
That looks like paint!

Thank you! Today feels like a milestone day!!!
wysri9
That video is awesome. Fantastic work and the end result will be stunning. Now I will have to see if I have enough pictures to animate my shell repair smile.gif smile.gif
Cairo94507
Definitely cause to celebrate. beerchug.gif
9146C
Thank you for the feedback, Gentlemen!

Really happy how the bodywork turned out...as frustrating as it was at times. Seeing the top coat applied makes it worthwhile.

I went with a one part Acrylic Urethane (supplied by TCP). Really pleased by how it sprayed and simple to use...didn't use any additional reducer...laid down nicely without any runs...and I applied it pretty heavy to give me ample opportunity for wet sanding/polishing.

I'll probably let it cure about 7 days before I start my wet sanding.

It's getting there.

Thanks again for the feedback!
9146C
It's been a while since the last update...

Car has been wet-sanded (to 2000 grit) and cut-polished (Norton 3 Part Liquid Ice system).

I need to make a second/final pass on the two deck lids...not quite happy yet with the finish on those two panels.
djway
Beauty
9146C
So my approach on this project may appear a little unconventional...especially after spraying the outside.

Today, I finished up brushing the inside of the cabin with 2 coats of POR-15 followed by 2 coats of epoxy topcoat.

Happy how it turned out...now onto the engine bay and two trunks...
Dion
Absolutely fantastic work. Car looks amazing. Feel like coming to PA and shoot some colour on mine. The time frame... man you blitzed through. Prolly doesn’t seem that way to you but wow. I can appreciate that hard work. Look forward to seeing more. beerchug.gif
9146C
@Dion , @Djway

Thanks for the feedback/kind words! Much appreciated!
djway
I've done the same combo of POR and Epoxy a couple of times. Like a rock. Looks great.
9146C
Front and rear trunks now complete...2 coats POR-15 followed by 3 coats of epoxy topcoat.

Just the engine bay left to complete...
9146C
And now the re-assembly begins!

Almost have the heating/ventilation system completed (just need to install the hoses to finish). Checked both the wiper motor and fresh air fan (all 3 speeds) operation prior to re-assembly.

Painted the front and rear suspension components with two coats of POR-15 semi-gloss.

Shout out to @IanKarr for his excellent video on re-bushing the front control arms!

Front and rear suspensions have new rubber bushings and wheel bearings. Front also included new turbo tie-rods and new ball joints.

The master cylinder, front brake calipers and brake proportioning valve have all been rebuilt (not yet installed). Still waiting on a few small parts for the rear calipers. Should be ready now to also install the new brake line kit.

I was thinking about how I was going to set the rear alignment. The following description is what I came up with:

First, I perfectly leveled the car on the cart...level to all four corners. I then set up the rear trailing arms to be flat/parallel on the bottom side. That gave me a clearance of 185 mm from the top lug nut center to the bottom of the fender well arch (at the top, measured on both sides). Looking at a bunch of Porsche 914-6 GT pictures, I should be pretty close with that reference,

I set the camber first (-3/4 degrees...luckily I had enough, and the correct, shims available!). After setting the camber I then set the drivers side brake disc alignment perfectly parallel to the driver's side longitudinal. (You can see the 1" square tubing I used in the photo for reference.) After that, I measured the distance between the front of the disk and the rear of the disk for both sides of the car...I had a similar 1" tubing jig attached to the right rear brake disc for my measurements. I think it worked out well...I set the rear with no toe-in.

Next week, I'll start re-assembling the doors and install the dynamat sound proofing on the floor and firewall.
9146C
It's been a little while since I've provided an update...

Making progress and I can (almost!) see the finish line.

Brake calipers, master cylinder and proportioning valve have all been rebuilt. All new brake lines installed (with the exception of two smaller pieces that were missing from my kit).

All new components for the parking brake have been installed and are functioning...this'll be the first time in 20 years that my car will have a functioning hand brake!

The sound deadening has been installed, and for the most part, the interior is almost finished. I still have the original, internal firewall sound proofing...the fat mat added to the rear firewall is a little redundant.

For the interior, I need to finish up my gauge cluster...which means a mod to the fuel gauge. I've decided that I'm not going to re-install my center console. I'll go with a 911 combo oil temp/pressure gauge and combine the fuel into the tach...already have my replacement VDO fuel gauge and Bosch tach internals ready to be re-assembled.

I'll also have a custom shifter boot made up to accommodate the base of my old, Weltmeister shifter base.

This week, I also picked up my new tires...Conti Exteme Contacts...205/50/16 and 225/50/16.

The engine bay is almost completed...re-installed the fender well oil tank as well as the oil thermostat in the right fender well. Working on completing the hard oil lines to the front oil cooler. I wanted to finish up my turn signals before I installed the hard lines through the front fender well.

This weekend, I completed making the internal brackets for my Euro turn signal conversion.

It's coming along...
9146C
Cont'd photos...
Cairo94507
Very nice. I like that you relocated the fuel gauge to the tachometer gauge. beerchug.gif
Luke M
The engine bay is almost completed...re-installed the fender well oil tank as well as the oil thermostat in the right fender well. Working on completing the hard oil lines to the front oil cooler. I wanted to finish up my turn signals before I installed the hard lines through the front fender well.

Do you have more pics of the oil line install from rear to front cooler?

Is it the same kit from Elephant Racing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.