Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another rustoration project…1972 914-6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
9146C
@Cairo94507 : Thank you for your feedback. The idea for the tach/fuel gauge combo came from the forums here...I think it was @Timothy_ND28 that proposed the Bosch Tach Internals upgrade to eliminate the tach "bounce". I don't recall the thread that I found the fuel gauge addition...it was here in the forums. I think the fuel gauge addition came from a thread by @914forme .

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...hp?t216719.html

@Luke M: You are correct...the oil line kit I purchased is from Elephant racing...I purchased it about 7-8 years ago when I did my 6 conversion initially...the front trunk oil kit came from Patrick Motorsports.

The Elephant kit is all metric...if I recall, the Patrick kit had some SAE fittings.
914forme
looks good aktion035.gif
930cabman
Lookin good, keep it goin, the finish line is near
9146C
Continuing to knock off jobs to completion...

Finally have my brakes bled out...the first time I've ever used the Russell Speed Bleeders (part # 639570)...sure makes for an easy one man job!

Chris Foley's fuel mount arrived this week as well...relocated the fuel pump under the steering rack. Not particularly happy with the additional fuel line (to avoid kinks) but it turned out OK. Happy to have the pump "out of the car" and finally a proper low pressure pump (to eliminate the secondary pressure reducer I had installed when I went to carbs).

Yeah, I know...I should have been more careful when I painted the inside of the trunk to prevent the runs in the photo! smile.gif (The new pan from RD should cover it up nicely!)

The rubber insulated fuel pump mount is excellent!

Also converted the windshield washer system to electric...everything in the front trunk is now complete (with the exception of adding carpet to the bulkhead).

Took the car off the dolly...another milestone.

Hoping that within the next couple of weeks I'll be able to re-install the motor/transaxle.
Cairo94507
Looking very nice. beerchug.gif
9146C
Working on some odd jobs...

Painted up and re-installed the steering rack pan.

Cleaned up then coated the (rebuilt) transaxle with CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor (06026).

The car is back on the ramps ready for the motor to be re-installed.

Installed the firewall backpad for the interior. Just need to finish up my gauges, re-install the steering column and the carpets and seats and the interior will be done.

Everything in the front trunk is now finished (installed carpeting on the bulkhead).

Re-installed the front hood with the (aftermarket) gas lid cover and the front crest.

Dis-assembled the rear taillights to paint the reflectors with chrome paint and finished installing the rear taillights and rear emblem.

Should be ready to re-install the motor/transaxle this week.

Last major job to finish up will be the modification of the rocker covers and valences for the flares.

My car rolled down the assembly line 49 years ago on March 23rd...that'll be my target date for completion.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(9146C @ Jan 31 2021, 05:40 PM) *

@Cairo94507 : Thank you for your feedback. The idea for the tach/fuel gauge combo came from the forums here...I think it was @Timothy_ND28 that proposed the Bosch Tach Internals upgrade to eliminate the tach "bounce". I don't recall the thread that I found the fuel gauge addition...it was here in the forums. I think the fuel gauge addition came from a thread by @914forme .

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...hp?t216719.html

@Luke M: You are correct...the oil line kit I purchased is from Elephant racing...I purchased it about 7-8 years ago when I did my 6 conversion initially...the front trunk oil kit came from Patrick Motorsports.

The Elephant kit is all metric...if I recall, the Patrick kit had some SAE fittings.

What coolers and locations are you running? Are they in the front of the wheel wells, or are is it all hidden under the parcel shelf? I'm interested in what you're running w/o cutting up the frunk too much.
9146C
[/quote]
What coolers and locations are you running? Are they in the front of the wheel wells, or are is it all hidden under the parcel shelf? I'm interested in what you're running w/o cutting up the frunk too much.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback:

I've installed the thermostat and hard oil line kit from Elephant Racing. This kit runs up to the front of the wheel well. To this, I've added the Patrick Motorsports oil cooler kit.

The Elephant Kit includes the hoses to the engine and the oil tank.

In the photos a few threads above, you can see the braided oil lines connecting the two systems.

I cannot recall where I sources the braided lines. I cut two small holes into the inner fender well to connect the hard line kit to the braided lines.

I've created a new (what you're calling the parcel shelf) slightly higher than the original floor to blend into the slope of the oil cooler shroud and give (in my opinion) a slightly cleaner finish to the front trunk.

Attached are the photos from the two supplier websites.
JmuRiz
Looks very clean, excellent!!!
9146C
Finished up the modifications to the rocker panels and front/rear valences. When I bought the car, I replaced all 4 panels with GRP replacements...just a little fiberglass work to modify them to match the new flares.

Also finished up my dash panel with the modified Tach (with fuel gauge) and the 911 oil temp/pressure combo gauge. The speedo is now metric (with a working odometer!).

I was debating where to install a switch for the new electric washer pump...found a nice new home (with a pre-drilled hole behind the dash face material) for that switch to the left of the lighter.
9146C
Today feels like another milestone day!

Engine/transaxle re-installed.
Cairo94507
Oh man....sleeping is difficult when you get that close. beerchug.gif
9146C
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 13 2021, 04:27 PM) *

Oh man....sleeping is difficult when you get that close. beerchug.gif

Thank you Michael!

It is getting close!

biggrin.gif
9146C
Just a couple pictures today...a before, and current...just to remind myself of the progress...

Everything under the car is complete...just need to finish installing new fuel lines in the engine bay and that will be a wrap as well.

Down to a handful of jobs now.
raynekat
Love the look of those flares there man....
This will be a very nice looking car when finished.
9146C
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 17 2021, 05:33 PM) *

Love the look of those flares there man....
This will be a very nice looking car when finished.

Thank you!

The rear suspension is set-up for an approximately 1-1/4" lower ride height (from before)...now sitting closer to the height I set the camber to. I really like the look of the new rear stance.
9146C
The last week has been a "mad dash" to get things wrapped up with today being the 49th Anniversary of this car rolling off the Production Line. (Missed my self-imposed completion date.)

Interior is finished up...installed a Pioneer narrow amp/subwoofer behind the passenger seat (2-3/4" height/thickness)...hoping that works out.

Also installed my replacement door jam VIN tag from Carbone. I looked at lots of door jam photos...seems the VIN tags are all installed slightly different in terms of position. My original VIN tag had been painted over by a PO...I never bothered to take a picture.

Spent the last three days chasing electrical gremlins...everything is now working with the exception of the fog lights (they've never worked in the time I've owned the car...popping fuses so there must be a ground in the wiring forward), the indicator light for the parking brake and now my fuel sender no longer works (replacement on order). Everything else is now working as it should.

My original (low pressure) fuel pump that I installed was faulty...was leaking from the housing. My replacement pump was delivered yesterday afternoon. Went to install it and found a poor ground on the connection wire...should be a minor fix.

The car turns over no problem and the oil pressure gauge looks to be working just from cranking it over.

When I pressurized the fuel system, the carbs were leaking badly at the banjo fittings (where I replaced the fuel lines)...unfortunately, I used up my last set of fiber gaskets...re-ordered new spares today.

Time to give the car her first bath (she's covered in pollen!) and a coat of wax.

Now hoping to have the car running/on the road in 2-3 days once the carb fuel feed leaks are repaired. (Probably just as well with the monsoons this week in Louisiana!)
9146C
Three days of chasing an issue with the electronic ignition (no spark)...finally got her started today after a 16 month "nap".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GctuD74k3EI

Just a couple of minor jobs to wrap up...than I can take her out for a shake-down cruise.
Cairo94507
Nice. Sounds good. beer3.gif
Root_Werks
driving.gif

Woo Hoo! Inspiring for me. My 914-6 conversion needs so much body work. Taking it apart now for body and paint.
9146C
I'm not entirely sure if these projects ever get "done"...happily, this one has moved from In-Op Status to Driver.

Gave it a quick bath to get all the pollen off and drove it around the neighborhood to check things out...just need to give it a coat of wax.
mb911
I agree they are never really done. I am at the same point with mine right now.
Root_Werks
Looks great and agree, if not ever really done, certainly a big milestone to become a driver again!
9146C
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!

The only issue I've had so far, the car would periodically pop out of 1st, 3rd and 5th gear.

That's a scary way to test the rev limiter!!!

I thought it would be a simple adjustment of the spline at the shifter.

That wasn't it.

Put the car back up on the ramps, crawled underneath and checked the rear shifter linkage again.

It looks like my upgraded bronze bushing was a little too long and wasn't allowing the gears to fully mesh in the 1st, 3rd and 5th gear positions.

Simple solution: just ground off about 1/8" from the bushing and everything is good.

Thought I'd share this potential bushing issue...haven't seen it mentioned before.

ps: I'd forgotten how much fun this is to drive! Feels good to have this one back on the road.
Root_Werks
The bushing fix is a good tip, installed a few over the years and haven't had that issue before.
914werke
QUOTE(9146C @ Apr 7 2021, 01:39 PM) *
It looks like my upgraded bronze bushing was a little too long and wasn't allowing the gears to fully mesh in the 1st, 3rd and 5th gear positions.
Trimming shouldn't be necessary, reverse the orientation of the bushing. shaft out flange in smile.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 7 2021, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(9146C @ Apr 7 2021, 01:39 PM) *
Trimming shouldn't be necessary, reverse the orientation of the bushing. shaft out flange in smile.gif

Oh duh, you're correct, flange installs on the inside. Wow, how much my little brain forgets!

blink.gif
9146C
LOL...always the simple solutions!!! Must be a senior moment! I just replaced the bronze bushing the way the plastic one came out without thinking about it.

Thanks!
Luke M
Yup, the bushing is in backwards. Flip it around and you'll be good to go.
9146C
Getting more comfortable with a few miles on the odometer now. This is the fun part! Went for my LA State Inspection yesterday...all's good.
brp986s
Congratulations and beautiful work. I've been around here for years and have seen projects like this spin out of control. But you pulled it off successfully and in very good time, too. Time to think about classic car insurance. The motoring public has no idea the amount of work involved here.
9146C
QUOTE(brp986s @ Apr 10 2021, 08:20 PM) *

Congratulations and beautiful work. I've been around here for years and have seen projects like this spin out of control. But you pulled it off successfully and in very good time, too. Time to think about classic car insurance. The motoring public has no idea the amount of work involved here.

Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated!
9146C
Too close for comfort!

Woke up this morning with 2" of water standing in my garage. Quickly put the car up on the ramps (with 4-2x10 spacers) and jacked my motorcycle up.

Fortunately, the rain stopped about 8:30 this morning and the flood level is starting to go down (about 3") from where it peaked at about 9:00 am (with about 6-7" of standing water under my house).

For reference, my slab foundation sits about 18 - 20" higher than the road in front of my house.

This flooding wasn't even forecasted on the 10:00 pm news last night. Got, very, very lucky!
Van914
Scary! You might want to invest in a lift!
Cairo94507
Man that is crazy. Was it pouring rain all night? Or did a storm drain get plugged up and cause water to back up?

I had a home about 43 years ago I just bought and when the first rains hit I came home to 12" of water under my home and about 4" of water in my back yard. I kind of freaked out. I looked over the fence at the end of the street, and the vacant lot was flooded too. I call the County and they sent a huge Roto-Rooter type truck out and within 30 minutes they cleared the storm sewer line and it was like someone flushed a toilet. All the lots drained in about 10 minutes to the point there was no water. After that I called the county yearly to make sure they cleared that drain while I owned that home.
9146C
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 15 2021, 11:05 AM) *

Man that is crazy. Was it pouring rain all night? Or did a storm drain get plugged up and cause water to back up?

I had a home about 43 years ago I just bought and when the first rains hit I came home to 12" of water under my home and about 4" of water in my back yard. I kind of freaked out. I looked over the fence at the end of the street, and the vacant lot was flooded too. I call the County and they sent a huge Roto-Rooter type truck out and within 30 minutes they cleared the storm sewer line and it was like someone flushed a toilet. All the lots drained in about 10 minutes to the point there was no water. After that I called the county yearly to make sure they cleared that drain while I owned that home.

This was totally unexpected. Not much rain last night where I live. When I went to bed at 11:30 last night, there was no water at all.

Tucked into the trees across the street from my house is the Chinchuba River (a small creek). It typically carries surface water (from heavy rains) in Mandeville/Covington into Lake Pontchartrain. I can only assume that Covington (just north of me) got some pretty heavy rains last night...but that wasn't even in the forecast.

This is the worst I've seen here since Hurricane Isaac in 2012. Usually, the flooding never comes up past the middle of my driveway.

Got very, very lucky!
Dion
Car looks amazing. Congrats, wow that was fast. Lots of enjoyable miles wished for ya.
Glad the waters have stayed low! piratenanner.gif
9146C
QUOTE(Dion @ Apr 23 2021, 09:01 AM) *

Car looks amazing. Congrats, wow that was fast. Lots of enjoyable miles wished for ya.
Glad the waters have stayed low! piratenanner.gif

Thank you! Much appreciated!

I'd almost forgotten how much fun the car is to drive! That flooding caught me way off guard...not even Hurricane Season yet! Even with that, I've only seen a little water under my house once (Hurricane Isaac) in the dozen years since I've lived here. It would've been heart-breaking to "lose" the car to unexpected flooding after only having it on the road for about 2 weeks! Thankful there was no damage!

Thanks again for the feedback! Definitely enjoying it again!
Root_Werks
Wow! That was close! Good job getting the 914 UP!
bkrantz
Great looking car!

And if you want to store it on higher ground, my garage is at 7100 ft above sea level. biggrin.gif
9146C
@Root Werks: Thank you for the feedback! It was an adrenaline rush at the time!

@bkrantz : Thank you as well...I've been following your build since the beginning...a very impressive (and extremely well detailed) restoration! I'll let you know about that offer! wink.gif Although, I'm not sure how the carbs will respond to that elevation!

I just realized, I never posted my Part II Video to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgQzDg4PQxk
9146C
Going through some old files (spring cleaning!) and I came across an old photograph of my car.

This was from the eBay ad when I purchased it in September 2002...plastic rockers, front air dam, whale tail and all!

Sure am enjoying driving it now!
9146C
Old Photo
bkrantz
Plastic mirrors, too! sunglasses.gif
9146C
I was especially careful during my project not to damage the front windshield (I think it may have been original).

I had only driven the car about a month when an unfortunate rock chip on the lower passenger side developed into a crack before I even got the car back home.

Ordered the installation kit from AA, the dash moulding from Stoddard and the XYG (green tint) windshield from KoolKatz.

Also picked up a pair of inexpensive grips from Harbor Freight.

The windshield was delivered on Friday and installed today. Actually was a much easier job than I had planned.

I know there has been a fair bit of discussion about windshields...Porsche OEM (which I couldn't find), the XYG and the PGW. At first glance, the XYG looks pretty good and sealed well to the butyl tape all around.

No complaints so far.

PS: I did have to order an additional rear view mirror pad this afternoon...I mucked the first one up...should've been the easiest step of the install!
Root_Werks
Nicely done! My painter wants to pull my windshield. Pretty much expecting it'll break.
Dion
How’s the car Rob? @9146C Hope you are driving it, Don’t let it be a garage queen!
Anything else done to it? Not that it needs more. Beauty as is. beerchug.gif
9146C
Hello Dion!

I can't believe it's already been a year since I completed my build. Fortunately, no significant issues since I put her back on the road...yeah, she does/is driven...always a smile on my face when behind the wheel.

Haven't taken on any new projects with her...just enjoying her for the time being.

Hope you're enjoying your car as well...you did a great job on your build BTW! (I'm a little jealous of your choice of colors!) biggrin.gif

Regards, Rob

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.