Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My V8 resurrection is taking MUCH longer than...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
neo914-6
Got the pump in but my isolators are too loose in the side mount. I may go ahead and mount them solid and of course I need to move it to the right to take the kinks out. screwy.gif

Found out the fuel line in the tunnel is metal, thanks Brad and crew...

There are no limits to individual experience and opinions. biggrin.gif
BIGKAT_83
Wrong on that one Crazyhippy no coolant flows thru the plastic Intake on the genIII (LS1/LS7)engines.

A better example would be almost all of the newer cars have radiator tanks made of the fiber reinforced plastic.

The plastic fittings I've seen used with the Renegade kit are or were made by Gann. May be wrong but they are maded for the piping of natural gas.

biggrin.gif Bob
Crazyhippy
I stand corrected... mind was tweaked, coolant does not run through the intake on an LS1 (unless you try to run Far too much nitrous... then coolant runs through lots of things dry.gif Poured coolant out of the intake on a friends car headbang.gif )

The radiator end caps work just fine.

I dont think they allow at gas to be run through rubber hose, so i doubt these fittings were designed for this.

If you have a spare, clamp a piece of hose to it w/ a normal clamp. and drop it into a pot of boiling water. In 5, 10, 30 minutes remove it, let it cool, remove the clamp and hose, and there is no Visible distortion idea.gif clap.gif

I've tried it. It works. wink.gif
neo914-6
Finally finished the installation of the fuel pump. Had to get different size grommets because the 1" were just loose enough to slip out. The vibration isolators didn't hold the pump from the side so I used some plastic bushings. Soldered on a connector. Drilled new holes to relocate the pump. Changed the bolts 3 times, sheesh all this eats so much time... wacko.gif

neo914-6
had to clean up in front of the garage getting rid of a couple of engines and my wife's attachment to her first car.

At least the engine is off the stand and I've started to assemble things. Cut an aluminum dust shield, installed the pilot bearing (hope the pounding didn't mess up the crank) ohmy.gif , fit the adapter plate...
neo914-6
dirty tranny...
neo914-6
clean tranny...
Andyrew
901 spare? or Jaide trani?

Glad your making progress on your car!

Im considering cutting up those headers you gave me and make it so I can bend exhaust up the axles.. I need the extra space up there to run my magnaflows so I can cross them by my trani and run a rice muffler as a side exhaust per side....
btw, got my mig... Ye haw!!

let me know if you got any progress on that trani thing... I wont have any money till after the wcc.. ( need to pm you about that to...) but I think its possible for me..

keep workin on that thing! You'll get it done!
neo914-6
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 24 2006, 12:33 AM)
901 spare? or Jaide trani?

Glad your making progress on your car!

Im considering cutting up those headers you gave me and make it so I can bend exhaust up the axles.. I need the extra space up there to run my magnaflows so I can cross them by my trani and run a rice muffler as a side exhaust per side....
btw, got my mig... Ye haw!!

let me know if you got any progress on that trani thing... I wont have any money till after the wcc.. ( need to pm you about that to...) but I think its possible for me..

keep workin on that thing! You'll get it done!

same "bitchin" tall geared 901...Can't seem to get a quote from UK on the Renault or Derick's re-geared Audi. confused24.gif Guess the GT40 guys don't want to share the love...

Gas tank is in and 914 is OFF the jackstands! smilie_pokal.gif

Just need to hook up everything and get power to the fuel pump...

I'm havin a beer3.gif
neo914-6
I expected to use a hammer on the firewall for valve cover clearance but the w/p hose is also compressed between the head. Too tight for comfort! screwy.gif
neo914-6
The fab'd transmission mount ala Brad N Crew won't work with the Jaide bracket since it's not positioned as far back. I was hoping another bolt hole could be drilled further back but it is about where the rear vertical face is. ohmy.gif
neo914-6
Looks like I will need to shorten this...
neo914-6
Or buy a Renegade adapters and sport trans mount (don't have them), anyone have spares???
Andyrew
You could just make that piece... solid aluminum. drill two holes... be done.

Steel would work as well obviously..
turbo914v8
I have a set of the Renegade adapters PM me if you’re interested.
neo914-6
I smash.gif clearance for the tall valve covers (this wasn't necessary for the 283) but still have the hose pinched between the firewall and back of the head. confused24.gif Got some good advise from the Bird Board about loosening the drivetrain mounts and pushing it back. Another is to lower the drivetrain since there's more clearance. Reclocking the water pump is not gonna happen or help (I believe) or lengthening the hose to route over the head...

I will smash.gif more if need be.
neo914-6
Forgot to mention, Remil (sj914) came by with some transmission brackets. smilie_pokal.gif A few trips to OSH for Grade 8 bolts and they fit perfectly. Now to test the shifter bar I borrowed from Mark (Mar7ck)
neo914-6
Found a nice small PSI gauge, mounted the regulator...
sj914
Glad they worked for you.
neo914-6
Borlas Baby!

I am soooo close to fire up. BBQ's are killing me... drunk.gif
neo914-6
A few issues to resolve before it can be driven but it fires up!!! beerchug.gif I probably woke up half the neighborhood. laugh.gif I left a message with Harry firing it up, he's been calling me almost every day for updates.

Just over a year ago my friend John helped me clear the garage to begin this resurrection. New Renegade kit, new (to me) full Edelbrock 400hp 350, and alot of relearning what I had basically done over 20 years ago with the Jaide kit and 283. The Renegade kit should have only take me a few weekends to bolt in, yeah right! screwy.gif John held the fire extinguisher and witnessed the event. laugh.gif
Dr. Roger
geez, i was just getting ready to crash and i noticed this guy, who's been working on his V8 914 for 20 years FINALLY got his running.

LOL

Right on Felix!!!!

remember to tighten your spark plugs.... tonight i just found 3 that were loose in mine.... LOL
neo914-6
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jul 20 2006, 01:13 AM) *

geez, i was just getting ready to crash and i noticed this guy, who's been working on his V8 914 for 20 years FINALLY got his running.

LOL

Right on Felix!!!!

remember to tighten your spark plugs.... tonight i just found 3 that were loose in mine.... LOL

Dude, it ran for all of it's life it would just overheat. laugh.gif In 2003, Brad's crew fixed that by installing a RH radiator amongst other things. I drove it to WCC04 and xcross (except the run to Laguna when a hose blew) and began the resurrection last year.

I'll be happy to get garage space for neo914... wink.gif
neo914-6
RESURRECTION!!!!!

The beast has awaken with 400hp...
neo914-6
Shifter needs adjusting (modifying) and engine needs tuning but it's nice to have it off the jackstands and running on it's own power...
nocones
Sweet!!!
Congratulations Felix.
Now if I could only put mine back on the road, I might see you at one of those conversion meets.

jonwatts
Awesome! Great to see smilie_pokal.gif

Where's the "For Sale" sign?

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 29 2006, 09:59 PM) *

Shifter needs adjusting (modifying) and engine needs tuning but it's nice to have it off the jackstands and running on it's own power...

Andyrew
Awesome!!!

Get it adjusted!!!!

Next meets at my house (hehe)
plymouth37
[/quote]
HUH???

I appologise in advance for the impending highjack of your thread, but miss information, and blatant lies should not be given the oportunity to propigate dry.gif

- The "Plastic" fittings were designed by a Major Automotive Manufactur, they are made of the same material as the intake manifold (which has coolant runnning through it) on the Chevy LS1. The threads on yours stripped because they are pipe threads (tapered) and you are not smart enough to stop torquing on the fitting when it's tight. I have personally torqued a hose clamp onto the fittings while hot from boiling water, and witnessed no observable defflection.
Nothing wrong w/ using brass fittings, but be sure they aren't necked down inside, which will kill the flow. And dont over tighten them, or you will be bitching about the aluminum mounts not being strong enough rolleyes.gif

- All914.com does not exist. Brad is a fairly active member of this board. Great guy, no argument. He is THE guy to talk to for set-up, suspension stuff etc. Last i heard, he is not in the conversion buisness however. It's kinda like asking your dentist to take a look at your broken hand... Better than most, but he will refer you to an expert.

- Bull stromberg.gif The RH mount has over twice the torsional ridgity of the factory mount. If you want to make a heavier one... more power to you, but dont try to blow smoke over it.

- The RH mount works just fine w/ the RH Water pump inlet, the problems arise when people try to use their own motor mount bar. The rotating inlet is a good solution.

- There is a guarantee behind the "backyard nonsense" It is Guaranteed to work. According to your friend with no real world experiance, you should also remove the thermostat, as the water will be flowing faster, but it is well documented that Chevy small blocks overheat without a thermostat confused24.gif The Chevy Motor must have never met your friend chairfall.gif

In conclusion, if you have a problem w/ Scott, that's fine, just dont try to make up defficancies with his product to cover up your own agenda happy11.gif
[/quote]
agree.gif I have installed dozens of these kits and never had any of the problems mentioned above. P.S. if you can't get that hose to make a corner why don't you just install an aluminum elbow to make the turn?
neo914-6
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 30 2006, 10:06 AM) *

agree.gif I have installed dozens of these kits and never had any of the problems mentioned above. P.S. if you can't get that hose to make a corner why don't you just install an aluminum elbow to make the turn?

Dana,

That was BJ's response to Terry who has a 500hp track 914, not your typical conversion or builder. I appreciate your experience but suspect most conversions are done maybe once or twice in a lifetime by people of various mechanical abilities. I replaced my old Jaide kit with RH because I believe (still) that it is currently the best on the market. I emailed and phoned Scott and Mike but there are limits to that form of communication. I still believe better visual documenation is needed...

The w/p hose was solved, I replaced the Jaide with a RH engine bar to use the RH outlet and elbow. biggrin.gif

The belt interference on top of the shifter coupling and barely clearing the top of the engine bar is still a problem. Some suggest it's the '70 chassis shift location at the firewall. I plan to extend the bar inside the tunned and use a stock bar from the firewall to the transaxle. Any suggestions? confused24.gif

neo914-6
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 30 2006, 10:06 AM) *

Dana,

That was BJ's response to Terry who has a 500hp track 914, not your typical conversion or builder. I appreciate your experience but suspect most conversions are done maybe once or twice in a lifetime by people of various mechanical abilities. I replaced my old Jaide kit with RH because I believe (still) that it is currently the best on the market. I emailed and phoned Scott and Mike but there are limits to that form of communication. I still believe better visual documenation is needed...

The w/p hose was solved, I replaced the Jaide engine bar with RH bar, outlet, and elbow. biggrin.gif

The belt interference on top of the shifter coupling and barely clearing the top of the engine bar is still a problem. Some suggest it's the '70 chassis shift location at the firewall. I plan to extend the bar inside the tunnel and use a stock bar from the firewall to the transaxle. Any suggestions? confused24.gif
neo914-6
Well, found the extension and a new cone set screw finally arrived from Pelican along with some LATE parts for neo914. Not sure what the plastic plug piece is, maybe a set screw's set screw?

Here's details on the Mueller Machining. Now I just need to install it...

Before that I installed and documented new coupler bushings

Brad Roberts
- All914.com does not exist. Brad is a fairly active member of this board. Great guy, no argument. He is THE guy to talk to for set-up, suspension stuff etc. Last i heard, he is not in the conversion buisness however.

This was funny...LOL

Not too long ago I had done more conversion than the current owners of RHS. I stopped doing them because of the headaches involved (and the computer industry pays better)

Oh.. FYI:

ALL914.com runs on this computer. I found all my pics that I had shot over the years.

B
neo914-6
I actually got some time on my V8 car Sunday. Had to jack it up to take ant's view pics for a potential buyer.

Installed the "Mueller" extension and it fit perfectly. Have about a 1/8" clearance of the water pump belt. biggrin.gif

If interested in buying an extension, PM Mueller.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
neo914-6
the differences between the bolt-on extension and a Renegade cutNweld extension...
neo914-6
other side
Click to view attachment
McMark
I do my share of 'mangling' stock parts, but anything that keeps original parts whole is a winner in my book. I'd take the extension anyday. clap.gif
Mueller
Glad it worked...sorry we missed lunch today, hopefully later on this week or next week for sure...
Andyrew
Cool!
Were still good for saturday?

Im slowly getting better..

Andrew
neo914-6
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 3 2007, 05:39 PM) *

Cool!
Were still good for saturday?

Im slowly getting better..

Andrew

Sure, it would be nice to see you and Dan!

I was going to fire it up but the Optima wouldn't turn it over... headbang.gif

Maybe I'll ask Harry to come by and make a "V8" day of it. He's running with some new parts. Chris J is getting his Ultima next week...
Andyrew
Chris is getting his ultima next week? SWEEEEET!!!

Pretty soon im gona need to get a turbo or something.. Just so Harry and Mike P dont have all the fun!!

It was nice showing Mike what TQ feels like.. I wonder if he ever got the power valve on his engine fixed...

Dads getting a check up in san fransisco for his foot on friday morning.. And the doc might tell him some bad stuff.. so its entirely possible we wont make it saturday.. but im really hoping we make it up there..

Andrew

PS. Dont you love that belt clearance? lol

neo914-6
Andrew and Dan came by to help with the shift rod but it's still hitting hard on the engine cross member. Andrew will be "modifying" it to clear.

Found out my Optima may be dead and I need the certain Group 34 because the base matches the billet holder.

Mark J came by to compare his radiator and shifter after helping Chris unpack the Ultima. He picked up the Renegade modified shift rod I had borrowed from him last year.
dan10101

We copped out on the trip to Chris'. My foot was done for the day.

Andrew already has the Audi back together and is now installing the 18s. Easy timing belt change compared to the 944.

The Neo looks great in person. Keep chipping away, it'll be done soon. I realised after we left, we never tried to start the red car with the other battery. let me know if you're still having problems with it after the new battery.

Dan
neo914-6
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Apr 7 2007, 10:58 PM) *

We copped out on the trip to Chris'. My foot was done for the day.

Andrew already has the Audi back together and is now installing the 18s. Easy timing belt change compared to the 944.

The Neo looks great in person. Keep chipping away, it'll be done soon. I realised after we left, we never tried to start the red car with the other battery. let me know if you're still having problems with it after the new battery.

Dan

I didn't go either. Thanks, I'm getting more motivated about the neo again. rolleyes.gif

The car fired right up with my van's Optima. It's loud, I'll take a video tomorrow biggrin.gif
neo914-6
Engine start video / audio
neo914-6
The buyer finally picked up my 25+ year project. He has several 914 V8's so it's in good hands.

It was my first "neo914" by updating the 70's body to 80's "turbo" styling and converting the engine. I'll always remember the award from a Salinas Street Rodder's show in '93 and participating at my first xcross at WCC'04. My club ID was "Jaiderenegadesimpson V8 914" because of all different components I had.

I'll still get seat pinning rides in Harry's beast and eventually Chris Julian's super Ultima to relive the sound and feel of the V8...
dlo914
sad.gif bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.