Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New here and need some help 914/8 Chevy 350 refurbish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Daryl32
@Jett as Mepstein said money, but also these conversions started before the LS motors came out. 327s & 350s were a dime a dozen back then.

This one came to me with the 350 in it just to get back up and running.

Jett
QUOTE(Daryl32 @ Mar 21 2020, 05:42 PM) *

@Jett as Mepstein said money, but also these conversions started before the LS motors came out. 327s & 350s were a dime a dozen back then.

This one came to me with the 350 in it just to get back up and running.

Nice wagon. We have a 67 Nova Wagon smile.gif
Daryl32
QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 21 2020, 07:59 PM) *

Nice wagon. We have a 67 Nova Wagon smile.gif

Nice I always liked the 67 Novas!
Daryl32
Here is a video of the third test drive on the refurbished engine and other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC35YSgBTtE

Now I have to work on a bobble/scoop for over the carburetor. Just no way to get the an air cleaner any lower and keep the intake setup we settled on. Owner decided on performance over stealth.
FL000
Sounds like it's running good!

The space is limited below the decklid as you mentioned. If you are willing to remove the support channel under the grate it may just fit. I had to do that and go with a thin spacer under the carb.
Daryl32
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Apr 6 2020, 03:25 PM) *

Sounds like it's running good!

The space is limited below the decklid as you mentioned. If you are willing to remove the support channel under the grate it may just fit. I had to do that and go with a thin spacer under the carb.

Thank you for the idea. Have been looking at it and pretty sure it will be coming out tomorrow.

I found my oil leak! stupid is as stupid does". I did not put the alternator on the right side on the engine And I did not put bolts in the holes as usual to make them look better. As you can not see the front of the engine when it is in the car.

BUT: the top hole is a through hole into the bore for the stock mechanical fuel pump drive shaft. So with not shaft and no bolt in the hole - oil mist was coming out of the hole. And it was dripping also.

So I put a nice new gold grade 8 bolt in it like I do for more muscle car engines. Problem solved.

Today I finished up the headlight and front blinker wiring, so now just need to put on some weather stripping/molding and put fuses in and see what SMOKES!!!! LOL

Getting the headlights out of the car was a long and tedious job. ALL the screws securing the lights to the frames had stripped heads. As well as all four adjusters between the two of them. Had to use vise grips on them at 1/16 to 1/8 turn at a time. hissyfit.gif dry.gif

Anyway got them out and ran the new wires in place of the old. And got it all back together.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

NEED THIS BOLT to stop oil from coming out of engine.

Click to view attachment
Daryl32
I have been working on the car - down to lots of little tidie up things.

Getting engine cover on - cut off the cross support
Mounted rear trunk lid and installed some gas struts to keep it open
Pulled Accel coil out of it's big cover and put it back with a stock GM cover
Installed some new door seals
B piller rear door glass seals
trunk seals
reinstalled the rear window - it was loose
While refitting the rear window I fixed both rear top clamps
Installed some of the carpet kit
Got the hazard and blinkers to work
and more.

Two weeks ago I got the head lights working - link to youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX_RLvkssq8&t=35s

Drove it around town and down the freeway yesterday to shack it down and see how it fared. So far GREAT!

The Davis Craig electric water pump and controller really do a great job of keeping the engine temps down. Also love the feature that runs the water pump and fan for 3 minutes after the car is shut off. you pull up and park with the engine temp at 185 to 195, depending on your drive, and 3 minutes later the temp is 170 or so.

Not sure how 914 stock suspension is, but this car with it 911 suspension, brakes and 16" wheels is really stable on the freeway. And with the 350 in it it goes from 40ish to 90ish in 3, 4th or 5th pretty quickly. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Daryl32
Ready for the drive around town and down the freeway.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Daryl32
Drove the car about 50 miles today, lots of freeway.

The cooling system is working perfect so far. Davis Craig units all the way!!!

Never went over 193 and cooled back down to 180 quickly after the radiator fan turned on.
Daryl32
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jan 14 2020, 05:13 PM) *

welcome.png

I'm sorta old too...but still playing with cars. beerchug.gif

I finished my SBC conversion this summer. Mostly Renegade conversion parts. Mine has their belt driven water pump set up.

Stock 914 wiring harness with just a few simple mods to run the fuel pump without the ECU and to light the alternator idiot light.

Plenty of help available here on the World. I could not have done mine without this forum.

Dick how are you doing.

Being driving the 914 for the last week on and off, giving it a shack down.

What tranny mounts are you running?

I thing the ones in the car are worn out and not sure solid ones are the way to go?

Daryl.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(Daryl32 @ May 2 2020, 07:24 PM) *

Dick how are you doing.

Being driving the 914 for the last week on and off, giving it a shack down.

What tranny mounts are you running?

I thing the ones in the car are worn out and not sure solid ones are the way to go?

Daryl.

I'm running the stock trans mounts...with the Renegade spacers. They seem to work fine for me. I do not have a high HP motor...maybe 230 HP, 270 ft lbs torque.
ndfrigi
Daryl, Nice seeing your car runs well this morning drive! Hope to see you more often.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914boss
QUOTE(Daryl32 @ Jan 31 2020, 12:12 PM) *

Some more work in the engine bay - fuel filters and pump. Also secured all the wiring harness branches with rubber lines clamps. Today i need to cut off the screw ends inside the interior of the fire wall.

Bent and installed a steel fuel line for the V8 Carburetor.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hey Daryl ! I run a pretty similar set up ! What fuel pump is it your using ? I have the same one It came on the car and boy is it loud lol
burton73
Hi Daryl,

I have sent you an email.

Thanks,

Bob B in Inglewood
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Jan 14 2020, 05:13 PM) *

welcome.png

I'm sorta old too...but still playing with cars. beerchug.gif

I finished my SBC conversion this summer. Mostly Renegade conversion parts. Mine has their belt driven water pump set up.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's a few underneath shots...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Describe your shifter issues. You should have the side shift trany in your 73 which actually shifts quite nicely with new shifter bushings all the way through and adjusted correctly.

I replaced the FI fuel pump with a lower pressure one for a carb. Used the stock fuel lines back to the engine compartment. Short piece of hose from it to the carb.

Off the shelf aftermarket throttle linkage holder and stock throttle cable.

IPB Image

Stock 914 wiring harness with just a few simple mods to run the fuel pump without the ECU and to light the alternator idiot light.

Plenty of help available here on the World. I could not have done mine without this forum.

Very Nice Dick.

A true sleeper with the single exhaust for sure.

BTW where did you get the 914 8 emblem on the back?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.