Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1 day to Werks Reunion/Amelia
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
poorsche914
I am less than 2 hours away from having my engine swap complete and operational but have been putting it off waiting for CV gaskets dry.gif

I have no excuses now, however, since today the gaskets arrived. This weekend will see the 914 moving on its own and then it's time to clean up the exterior a bit and detail the interior some. Would like to get a stereo installed before the trip to Amelia.

driving.gif
stevend914
Received my Corral Pass today..
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Feb 22 2020, 03:35 PM) *

Received my Corral Pass today..

Got my Werks pass earlier in the week and my sticker for Saturday Cars and Coffee!
DRPHIL914
I had to work all morning, then some other home stuff so no work on the 914, sorry to Steve I could not get up to Columbia to help you, hope you made some progress, I hope maybe next weekend , we are running out of time!
stevegm
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 22 2020, 10:33 PM) *

I had to work all morning, then some other home stuff so no work on the 914, sorry to Steve I could not get up to Columbia to help you, hope you made some progress, I hope maybe next weekend , we are running out of time!

Working on mechanicals this weekend. Windows next weekend. You are always welcome, and appreciated. You can pick up your bags while you are here. They are almost done.
stevegm
She runs!
stevegm
I need to find two parts:

1. In the interest of time, I think I’m going to stick with the single carb for Werks Reunion. But I need to find an accelerator cable. Since 914s never came with carbs, and the one I have is probably for a VW, does anybody know if a standard VW carb cable work in the 914 center tunnel/accel. pedal?

2. I need the coupler at the far tail end of a side shift tranny. It goes directly on the long shift rod, and has a female end for the bushing on the tranney. Any idea where I can find that coupler?

EDIT: It is apparently called a Shift Rod Head (91442424102)
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 23 2020, 10:11 AM) *

1. In the interest of time, I think I’m going to stick with the single carb for Werks Reunion. But I need to find an accelerator cable. Since 914s never came with carbs, and the one I have is probably for a VW, does anybody know if a standard VW carb cable work in the 914 center tunnel/accel. pedal?

2. I need the coupler at the far tail end of a side shift tranny. It goes directly on the long shift rod, and has a female end for the bushing on the tranney. Any idea where I can find that coupler?

Steve i think i have one of these i will look tonight, but 914rubber has them and SMC and Stoddard, Pelican etc all do too.

Phil
gereed75
I will be there for the day. Are we having a meet up??
stevegm
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Feb 24 2020, 01:14 PM) *

I will be there for the day. Are we having a meet up??

3 pm Saturday at the Bruno’s museum (tickets can be purchased online in advance), and then dinner.
stevend914
bye1.gif I'll be packing the car today for tomorrow's trip south. Away from home the next three weekends: Kerrville, TX - Jacksonville, FL - West Point, MS. Hoping for a lot of sunshine. driving.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 24 2020, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 23 2020, 10:11 AM) *

Steve i think i have one of these i will look tonight, but 914rubber has them and SMC and Stoddard, Pelican etc all do too.

Phil

Steve I have a firewall bushing, the rears shift console bushing for where the shift rod goes thru the transmission console, I don’t have the other one - the bottom one in this picture I don’t have
DRPHIL914
New stock steering wheel is in. Had to acquire a new cancel ring and the front internal batwing backplate with ground connection and spring- those came from @mepstein thanks Mark!! The rubber gasket and cancel ring, nut and washer came from Sierra Madre. Horn works and wheel looks great! And now I can see the gauges!
DRPHIL914
I forgot to say thanks to @914live ! I got the Porsche steering wheel from him a few weeks back.

I have to ask, has anyone ever painted their signal lever? As you can see mine is peeling off, just metal under the chipping black paint.

Today I ordered wiper arms, and Brad Penn/Penn Grade 20/50 oil for oil change.
But the long list of stuff has been completed.

The last things to do are put in the LED headlight bulbs, wiper blades. And maybe transmission flush. It sure if I will do that at this late stage, but I have not changed trans fluid since the rebuild 4 years ago.

Last weekend I got the front wheel wells cleaned out, removed old rust preventer and repainted - they look good.
I had to put small spacers back in due to inside wheel well rubbing with the 205/55-16 tires.

I hope that’s all!!
Jamie
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Feb 25 2020, 05:56 AM) *

bye1.gif I'll be packing the car today for tomorrow's trip south. Away from home the next three weekends: Kerrville, TX - Jacksonville, FL - West Point, MS. Hoping for a lot of sunshine. driving.gif

What's going on in Kerrvile?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
well I finally found a room that is fairly close so I am now going, hope to see you all there.
stevend914
QUOTE(Jamie @ Feb 25 2020, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Feb 25 2020, 05:56 AM) *

What's going on in Kerrvile?

Texas Hill Country Rallye - only for air cooled Porsches - usually only 3 or 4 914's participate, although 3 bumblebees were at last years car show.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 23 2020, 09:11 AM) *

The standard 914-4 cable works fine with carbs.

Clay
DRPHIL914
9 days to Amelia Werks Reunion!
poorsche914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 26 2020, 02:31 PM) *
I guess I better get busy on your board rolleyes.gif

driving.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if anyone needs anything, simply place your order and say: Please have George deliver to me at Rennsport
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Feb 26 2020, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 26 2020, 02:31 PM) *
I guess I better get busy on your board rolleyes.gif

driving.gif

I’ll call/email to if GT or tomorrow - if there isn’t time no big deal, will still want one for Cars on Kiawah in April and other shows this year.
stevegm
Anybody interested in getting together for dinner Friday evening? I thought I might invite Steve Limbert, etc.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 27 2020, 09:53 AM) *

Anybody interested in getting together for dinner Friday evening? I thought I might invite Steve Limbert, etc.

Thought about going to Fernandina Beach historic downtown, lost of cool restaurants there, that’s what a bunch of people did last year.
DRPHIL914
Next weeks forecast looks good!!!
stevegm
1 week to go! Show us your hardware.

Mine is far from ready. It’s a pretty ugly 914 right now. But it is my ugly 914!
stevegm
Thanks @drphil914 for all the help today!

The gas tank is the problem now. A lot of sediment/rust in it. I will try to get it flushed or see if I have a better one at the shop. I also need to locate an accelerator cable trunion/barrel nut, as well as the half shaft bolts.

I still have hope, but I’m quickly running out of time.

Here is what we got done today, and a basic list of what’s left.
Throttle cable
Clutch cable
Half shafts need to be installed
Accelerator pedal installed
Headlight eyebrows
Windshield chrome clips
Windshield needs to be installed
Rear window needs to be installed
Side windows need to be installed
Outer rocker covers need to be installed
Headlight covers
Sand/Paint extra trunk lid and mount luggage rack
Install new tires on wheels
Install chrome/rubber on windshield frame
Put rear firewall pad back in
Install carpet
Install all of the interior covering pieces
Install door panels
billh1963
Phil stopped by my warehouse on his way back home. He showed me his black and white tartan luggage bags...very nice!

You have a LOT of time consuming/fiddly jobs left to complete. Looks like you won't be getting much sleep this week.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 29 2020, 09:36 PM) *

Thanks @drphil914 for all the help today!

The gas tank is the problem now. A lot of sediment/rust in it. I will try to get it flushed or see if I have a better one at the shop. I also need to locate an accelerator cable trunion/barrel nut, as well as the half shaft bolts.

I still have hope, but I’m quickly running out of time.

Here is what we got done today, and a basic list of what’s left.
Throttle cable
Clutch cable
Half shafts need to be installed
Accelerator pedal installed
Headlight eyebrows
Windshield chrome clips
Windshield needs to be installed
Rear window needs to be installed
Side windows need to be installed
Outer rocker covers need to be installed
Headlight covers
Sand/Paint extra trunk lid and mount luggage rack
Install new tires on wheels
Install chrome/rubber on windshield frame
Put rear firewall pad back in
Install carpet
Install all of the interior covering pieces
Install door panels
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 1 2020, 06:51 AM) *

Phil stopped by my warehouse on his way back home. He showed me his black and white tartan luggage bags...very nice!

You have a LOT of time consuming/fiddly jobs left to complete. Looks like you won't be getting much sleep this week.

The bags are Uber cool! Seriously, very well done! Sorry we didn’t get more done but getting that rear window in and clips for front was a big step forward.
Getting all the clips in took way longer than I thought it would, but now it won’t take long to put window in . And that tank is a mess but if you do the tank wash with the ospho it may clean it well enough to use it. Bill said he did that on his and it was usable. If not, you may need to get one of those new ones George just got in. Steve that’s a nice car, and you are really close. If you can get the half shafts put in and windows today, get the tank sorted, then you can put the car on the road. Don’t even bother with the sail panel vinyl and trim for now. If you can get window seals done and those door glass pieces transfer over do that as well.
You can drive it without having carpet and door panels etc if your goal is to just get it some you can get to the coral at Werks. Don’t mess with things that don’t matter unless you ge let the time after it’s driving. I think you can do it! Good luck .
It’s ways fun helping other ‘teener owners .
Bill has some serious Aircooled sickness too, and should finally have a 914 at Okteenerfest!
Look forward to seeing you at Kiawah next month.

As for my car, I have to change oil and put in a new oil pressure relief valve plug, that’s where my leak is coming from. So that’s my last project to do today.

No more new projects, see you all in a few days.
Phil
rgalla9146
Ray Mital dropped by today so snapped a pick. That's Ray on the left and my son to the right.
Car is as ready as it will ever be.
Added a couple gauges to keep tabs on important matters for the long trip south.
stevegm
The bad news? I had to drop the engine/tranny again. The good news? I found the problem.

I dropped the motor because I had an alternator problem (huge spark when I hook up battery), and it is a lot easier to get the alternator out that way. Also, I had removed the halfshafts previously, and I figured it would make putting them back into the trailing arms much easier.

The spark I was getting when I hooked the battery up was due to the back plate of the alternator grounding out on the lead inside of the alternator. See photo below. I guess I need to bend the outer plate a little.

I got the half shafts in. But not much other progress today. I need to get the alternator checked tomorrow. I assume it grounding out may have damaged it. And I need to see about getting the gas tank flushed.

At this point it isn’t looking good for getting the car to a state that it makes sense to take it to Werks Reunion. But I’m not giving up yet. If it makes it, however, it will still be an incomplete project. Just too much to do. I’m bummed. I wasn’t planning to take it to Hershey since we will be hauling booth stuff. So Luft would be the next available event to take it to, which I am not confident about being able to get a spot for.
stevegm
Alternator short is fixed. Alternator was tested and is working. Got the engine back in the car. Fun, fun.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Mar 3 2020, 12:10 AM) *

Alternator short is fixed. Alternator was tested and is working. Got the engine back in the car. Fun, fun.

way to go! now, get some rest you have a lot to do tomorrow!
stevend914
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Feb 5 2020, 11:23 AM) *

...and now the car won't start... hissyfit.gif

piratenanner.gif Arrived Jacksonville yesterday after great time in Texas driving.gif
rgalla9146
Hate to say it but I'm out.
I won't be leaving for Amelia tonight as planned.
I had a unusual brake failure in my project GT.
The pressure relief valve failed causing a very spongy pedal.
It is repaired now but there are other factors.....non car related.
I'm certainly looking forward to Durham now.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
well CRAP. Sorry you are not going, Roru ,we will miss you!

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 4 2020, 04:58 PM) *

rgalla9146
Thank you, I'll miss you too Ghurge
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 4 2020, 04:11 PM) *

Thank you, I'll miss you too Ghurge

lol-2.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 4 2020, 06:58 PM) *

Your not alone. I’m out too. Too much left to do to be reasonable. I don’t want to show up with a “project.” And there is solid rain in the forecast here for the next 24 hours. Without all the rubber in, it would be a mess, and could cause problems with rust down the line after I spent so much time trying to do a nice restoration.
mlindner
Question, will the Werks reunion be available to see on Sunday the 8th.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mlindner @ Mar 5 2020, 08:01 AM) *

Question, will the Werks reunion be available to see on Sunday the 8th.

Werks is only Friday 9am-1pm
dr914@autoatlanta.com
it is going to be a mess driving down in the rain today, and it is also they predict heavy winds and tornado threats in South Georgia. In addition, may take a bit of time to dry out down there, so even with sun, may be a soggy day.

(Just trying to make you guys, who did not get your cars finished in time feel better!)

I am leaving shortly, is five hours from here.

Rennsport is Friday
Cars and Coffee Saturday
Concours Sunday

The two auctions can be previewed thursday and friday

So there is a lot to do
DRPHIL914
just leaving bluffton sc
stevegm
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 5 2020, 03:27 PM) *

just leaving bluffton sc

Right on time. cheer.gif Do you have your bags?
BENBRO02
I made it to Jacksonville today. I drove the 914 and it was rough in the rain. Both trunks and the passenger compartment leaked but I made it. About 800 miles in 2 days.
stevegm
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Mar 5 2020, 06:18 PM) *

I made it to Jacksonville today. I drove the 914 and it was rough in the rain. Both trunks and the passenger compartment leaked but I made it. About 800 miles in 2 days.

Congrats! That’s a nice ride, 800 miles. See you tomorrow.
ClayPerrine
We are here, on Neptune beach at Ragtime Tavern seafood and grill. The rain hasn't shown up. It's dry and cloudy. Betty is working through the in house beer. beer3.gif beer.gif
ClayPerrine
Hey George! We were wusses and flew in so we don't have a 914. Can we borrow the silver one with the fixed roof???? driving-girl.gif driving.gif
BENBRO02
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 5 2020, 06:46 PM) *

Hey George! We were wusses and flew in so we don't have a 914. Can we borrow the silver one with the fixed roof???? driving-girl.gif driving.gif

Clay, that isn't a 914. It's a little more exclusive.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Mar 5 2020, 07:03 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 5 2020, 06:46 PM) *

Clay, that isn't a 914. It's a little more exclusive.

Hey if it corners like a 914, looks like a 914, sounds like a 914... ........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.