Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine 1.7 won't start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aoor0708
Have problems with 1972- 1.7 engine. Engine will not start. Question : Does the fuel pump start when switching ignition ON or does pump only work when cranking ?
Thanks for help.
Andre
BeatNavy
I assume this is 1.7L D-Jet Fuel Injection, correct? If that's the case, the fuel pump should "prime" (you should hear an audible buzz) for about one to two seconds when you turn ignition on. Fuel pump will not run if it's not plugged in correctly to the relay board or if those grounds are disconnected from case. There are other things to check, but those are two likely issues.

Edit: clarified that it's when you turn ignition on you should hear fuel pump prime.
RKramden
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 19 2020, 12:50 PM) *

I assume this is 1.7L D-Jet Fuel Injection, correct? If that's the case, the fuel pump should "prime" (you should hear an audible buzz) for about one to two seconds when you turn ignition on. Fuel pump will not run if it's not plugged in correctly to the relay board or if those grounds are disconnected from case. There are other things to check, but those are two likely issues.

Edit: clarified that it's when you turn ignition on you should hear fuel pump prime.

Beat Navy, sorry this is my first post ever, I don't know if I am even typing in the correct location, but I am having an issue with my '74 LJet. Pump starts with ignition, Pump runs when Air sensor arm is moved. However when starting, it seems that the air sensor is somehow cutting off the fuel pump circuit. The PO had bent the arm so it never opened, but I have bent it back to move as designed. If I disconnect the electrical plug to the Air Sensor, it starts and runs fine......any thoughts? BTW I have replaced the dual relay, but that did not fix the problem.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
andre, maybe you could call us and we will work through the issue

QUOTE(aoor0708 @ Jan 19 2020, 10:34 AM) *

Have problems with 1972- 1.7 engine. Engine will not start. Question : Does the fuel pump start when switching ignition ON or does pump only work when cranking ?
Thanks for help.
Andre

BeatNavy
QUOTE(RKramden @ Jan 20 2020, 11:31 AM) *

Beat Navy, sorry this is my first post ever, I don't know if I am even typing in the correct location, but I am having an issue with my '74 LJet. Pump starts with ignition, Pump runs when Air sensor arm is moved. However when starting, it seems that the air sensor is somehow cutting off the fuel pump circuit. The PO had bent the arm so it never opened, but I have bent it back to move as designed. If I disconnect the electrical plug to the Air Sensor, it starts and runs fine......any thoughts? BTW I have replaced the dual relay, but that did not fix the problem.

You're all good, posting in the right forum. But I don't know squat about L-Jet (beyond that the air sensor needs to move for fuel pump to run). There are plenty of L-Jet gurus on the board here (e.g., @ClayPerrine ) who will hopefully chime in to offer help. If nobody responds, I'd recommend starting a new thread with L-Jet in the title so that will "draw them in." smile.gif

Edit: And welcome.png
RKramden
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 20 2020, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(RKramden @ Jan 20 2020, 11:31 AM) *

You're all good, posting in the right forum. But I don't know squat about L-Jet (beyond that the air sensor needs to move for fuel pump to run). There are plenty of L-Jet gurus on the board here (e.g., @ClayPerrine ) who will hopefully chime in to offer help. If nobody responds, I'd recommend starting a new thread with L-Jet in the title so that will "draw them in." smile.gif

Edit: And welcome.png

Thanks for the suggestion, I will see if I can start something.....
wndsrfr
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 19 2020, 09:50 AM) *

agree.gif For first start, cycle the ignition off & on maybe ten times to get the fuel pressure up in the engine bay...after that it should hold pressure and not need cycling....
aoor0708
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jan 20 2020, 02:26 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 19 2020, 09:50 AM) *

agree.gif For first start, cycle the ignition off & on maybe ten times to get the fuel pressure up in the engine bay...after that it should hold pressure and not need cycling....

Thanks to everybody for the support. Problem is solved. Loose contact on the fuel pump aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.