Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help - 914-6 2.7 External Oil Cooler Options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwinner
My 914-6 2.7 runs a little hot (230-240 degrees) so I am looking for advice on adding an external oil cooler. Thinking of adding a Mocal/Setrab external cooler to the underside of the rear trunk, has anybody used this option and if so did it help? Please let me know if you have any other ideas. I am not plumbed for a GT style front cooler which is why I am not pursuing that $$$ option. Thank you, James.
Steve
QUOTE(jwinner @ Feb 20 2020, 04:29 PM) *

My 914-6 2.7 runs a little hot (230-240 degrees) so I am looking for advice on adding an external oil cooler. Thinking of adding a Mocal/Setrab external cooler to the underside of the rear trunk, has anybody used this option and if so did it help? Please let me know if you have any other ideas. I am not plumbed for a GT style front cooler which is why I am not pursuing that $$$ option. Thank you, James.

From my experience, my 2.7 ran much hotter than my current 3.2. I am a big fan on copying what the factory does so I went down the GT route. Otto's in Venice installed a cooler on a racing trans they built for the previous owner. I have since removed it when I installed my 915 gear box. Here is a picture of how Otto's installed it. Might give you an idea on what is possible. Since you live in a cooler climate it might work for you. I would add a -12 inline temp switch for a fan and mount a SPAL fan on it.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
thelogo
Under the truck cooler works well on
My big \4

Big Setrab w fan w\ switch

But thats street application

One guy here had a rocker panel naca ducked to oil coolers.

If your driving your 2.7 more like a track car or cafe racer.
Front cooler $$$ will really solve your ... I hope i dont overheat my really ! Expensive engine issue .
For good .
barefoot
Look here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108328
mb911
James you got this wrong.. GT style will cost you about 3k..

You can do cheap if you stay in the back of the car.. Once you move past the firewall then start adding dollars for hose, fittings, ducting, drilling, cutting, and possibly welding..

If you stay in back you are looking likely at less then 800 in materials..
jwinner
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 21 2020, 11:27 AM) *

You can do cheap if you stay in the back of the car.. Once you move past the firewall then start adding dollars for hose, fittings, ducting, drilling, cutting, and possibly welding..

Not sure how I got it wrong, I said I do not want to do the expensive GT front cooler option.
mb911
QUOTE(jwinner @ Feb 21 2020, 03:56 PM) *

Not sure how I got it wrong, I said I do not want to do the expensive GT front cooler option.

Lol I am referring to $$$ signs it should be you don't want to do $$$$ signs
. that's what a GT setup costs..
jwinner
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 21 2020, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(jwinner @ Feb 21 2020, 03:56 PM) *

Lol I am referring to $$$ signs it should be you don't want to do $$$$ signs
. that's what a GT setup costs..

Ah gotcha, my dollar-sign scale must be different than yours lol. Either way it looks like we are heading towards a secondary oil cooler and a fan under the rear trunk.
barefoot
Here's the best place for low cost cooler.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.