Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body dolly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Anyone made a body dolly for their car? I'm looking to start my drivetrain swap this summer and want to retain the ability to move the shell around in the driveway. Only really worried about dimensions and keeping it balanced, but open to your suggestions, particularly in the area of safety. Here's a pic of something sort of what I was thinking.
mepstein
Rory made this one.
I'm "storing" it under one of my chassis.
ndfrigi
how about just use wheel dolly? I can easily move this project and I was able to pushed it all the way to the corner and fit 3 small cars in a 2 car garage.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Well my thinking was that this would make it easier to test fit and adjust the drivetrain, rather than jacking it up each time until it's complete.
ValcoOscar
I made this one using dimensions from here....PERFECT

Oscar

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 26 2020, 01:50 PM) *

how about just use wheel dolly? I can easily move this project and I was able to pushed it all the way to the corner and fit 3 small cars in a 2 car garage.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I bought some HF 1500 lb with a 25% coupon. They work great. The car moves with a one handed push.
injunmort
summit has a generic dolly about $400.00.
mlindner
I made my first one out of wood. Later welded one up so I could clean up the bottom of the car better, also works on the scissors lift. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mlindner
PaintedMan, regarding safety. The wood really works nice, if your removing front suspension before engine the front will become very light (like a 911). Adding a few hundred pounds of bagged water softener salt or sand to the front trunk will help. Best, Mark
roblav1
Here's mine. 3.0 engine is installed.

Oops, wrong pic! Engine not in!
roblav1
With engine in now.
Olympic 914
Did this one. Cut groves in the top piece to receive the seam.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Put some eye bolts in to strap it down and was able to winch it in and out of the garage on the cart.

Click to view attachment
914forme
I just cut one up made of wooden 4x4s 1x4 as an X brace to keep it square, and some Casters I got off a plywood car Dad had. Don't need it anymore I just use my EZ-Car lift, with the wheel kit.

Do not have a picture of my car on it handy, but here you will get the idea.

Some of the best money I ever spent on tools for my shop.

I will get a picture once I get it un buried next week.
mbseto
1st post in my build thread has a couple decent dolly pics. Corners are individually detachable because I needed to replace metal in each corner and wanted to have the other three still held stable.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=262220
mlindner
mbseto, best dolly yet. Very nice. Thanks for sharing. mark
mgarrison
So, silly question but how do you put the body/chassis minus all suspension parts, etc. onto the body dolly?

Are you just using multiple jacks front and rear, or...?

Mine is currently sitting on four tall jack stands which I would like to use for rotating truck tires in the near future, so I was gong to build a body dolly so it was a bit more mobile, and a better height for my back!

Got sidetracked by the idea of how do I get it onto and then back off the body dolly!

Thanks!

Mike
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Mar 2 2020, 11:43 AM) *

So, silly question but how do you put the body/chassis minus all suspension parts, etc. onto the body dolly?

Are you just using multiple jacks front and rear, or...?

Mine is currently sitting on four tall jack stands which I would like to use for rotating truck tires in the near future, so I was gong to build a body dolly so it was a bit more mobile, and a better height for my back!

Got sidetracked by the idea of how do I get it onto and then back off the body dolly!

Thanks!

Mike

In MY case I used my BendPak 2 Post Lift.
I helped a member with a forklift once also.

Oscar
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 26 2020, 11:33 AM) *

PaintedMan, regarding safety. The wood really works nice, if your removing front suspension before engine the front will become very light (like a 911). Adding a few hundred pounds of bagged water softener salt or sand to the front trunk will help. Best, Mark

The old Corvair handling package trick!
Nacho
McMaster-Carr just under $300 I then took Chi_town advice and bolted the body to the cart.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mgarrison
QUOTE(Nacho @ Mar 2 2020, 01:24 PM) *

McMaster-Carr just under $300 I then took Chi_town advice and bolted the body to the cart.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'd order one for $300, but its showing almost $500 before shipping! Wow...
ctc911ctc
Love this garage!

2 in process!

QUOTE(Nacho @ Mar 2 2020, 03:24 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Nacho
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Mar 2 2020, 04:07 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Helps if you can will call. I'm just down the street from the distribution center. I should have included this in my first post. sad.gif
mgarrison
QUOTE(Nacho @ Mar 2 2020, 03:20 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Helps if you can will call. I'm just down the street from the distribution center. I should have included this in my first post. sad.gif

Guess so, it's $175 shipping for the Eastwood one. Yikes. Looks like I need to go get some square tube...
mepstein
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Mar 2 2020, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Nacho @ Mar 2 2020, 03:20 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Guess so, it's $175 shipping for the Eastwood one. Yikes. Looks like I need to go get some square tube...

Eastwood is close enough to me that I can drive there and pick up. Greg Smith equipment is only 10 miles away and since they are in DE, there's no sales tax. See if there is any kind of local company to you making metal carts or tables.
nathanxnathan
Here's 1 I built
IPB Image

IPB Image
ThePaintedMan
Great ideas guys. Had no idea there were so many people out there that did this. Suspension will stay on the car, but as I said, mostly just need it high enough to get the Suby motor in and move it around in the driveway in the meantime. Think I'm going to go the 4x4 route. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Wow nathanxnathan, that is a very nice looking body cart. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.