Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AAR hose setup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MLinde
Hi, I acquired my '73 1.7L a few weeks ago and now have a high idle (3000RPM). Since many of the hoses appeared to be cracking, I decided that would be the best place to start. I've now begun to swap them out from a kit and am not finding the most comprehensive diagram that matches with the configuration as setup when I obtained the vehicle. Seems that there are a couple of ways to hook up the AAR based on diagrams I have found.

1.) connect with one hose to the plenum and other to air intake hose (elbow).
2.) my current setup--with both connectors split where the two additional connection are to two ports on the deceleration valve.

Am I correct in my interpretation, and if so, are there reasons to hook up one way or the other?

Thanks! Mike
BeatNavy
welcome.png

Good idea to replace vacuum lines if they are in poor shape. Here's a pic of an early 1.7L Unfortunately I'm not aware of a late model 1.7L diagram out there, and things do change year-to-year, even among same engine setups.

Your current setup is incorrect. It shouldn't connect to decel valve. It should be one port to manifold, one to air intake (it matters which port to which). The decel valve should have two ports connected to manifold vacuum and one to the air box (also matters which ports).

Here's the early 1.7L setup in general:
IPB Image

Here's 2.0 setup that shows decel valve (because the early 1.7L didn't have it and it's not in diagram above). I'm just providing this pic for decel valve routing. You need to hookup your decel valve similarly - 2 ports on the ends to manifold vacuum and the one on the side to air box.
IPB Image

There are three basic types of vacuum: ambient (which means basically attached to air cleaner), manifold (past or below throttle body), and ported (on throttle body above throttle plate). Doesn't really matter where something is connected as long as it's getting the right "type" of vacuum.

MLinde
Thanks very much, Rob! I think this will help. I'll keep you posted. Other than the high idle, the car seems to run well...
BeatNavy
beerchug.gif Good luck.

Not sure how far you are from "East Stroudsburg," but we are TRYING (covid permitting) to get a summer gathering of East Coast teeners there in July. Here's the thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=343706

rc
MLinde
I'm southwest of Quakertown (Allentown area), so E. Stroudsburg would be doable. Hopefully by July it would be in good enough shape to make the trip to East Stroudsburg. I'd also like to replace the seatbelts. A good cleaning didn't help with retraction issue. Having fun learning something new everyday.
euro911
welcome.png

I think there's a thread on how to disassemble and tighten up the springs in the retractor mechanism somewhere in the forum - you might try searching for it.

Also, IIRC, there's a member here that refurbishes them ... Jeffery ( @914_7T3 ) recently has his belts & retractors refurbished by the gentleman - maybe he'll chime in on the matter confused24.gif

popcorn[1].gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(MLinde @ Apr 14 2020, 09:39 AM) *

Having fun learning something new everyday.

That is the RIGHT attitude with these cars, because they give you plenty of opportunities smile.gif
StarBear
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 14 2020, 09:49 AM) *

QUOTE(MLinde @ Apr 14 2020, 09:39 AM) *

Having fun learning something new everyday.

That is the RIGHT attitude with these cars, because they give you plenty of opportunities smile.gif

agree.gif ABSOLUTELY!
914_7T3
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 14 2020, 06:48 AM) *

welcome.png

I think there's a thread on how to disassemble and tighten up the springs in the retractor mechanism somewhere in the forum - you might try searching for it.

Also, IIRC, there's a member here that refurbishes them ... Jeffery ( @914_7T3 ) recently has his belts & retractors refurbished by the gentleman - maybe he'll chime in on the matter confused24.gif

popcorn[1].gif

Please refer to post #7 & #29 from @flacaproductions in the below thread for tips on how to tighten the retractors.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=341695

beerchug.gif
MLinde
Thanks, All!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.