Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Third brake light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914Toy
Reacting to the awful rear end collision reported this week here on World, I think a third brake light install is a low cost serious safety upgrade, Here is a question for SPOKE, how about suggesting or better, supplying a "blinking" relay(?) to wire in series with a third brake light power supply? Thus always, but only making the third brake light "blink' when the brake light is on via the brake pedal, to get the attention of these idiot texting drivers.
76-914
Maybe a flashing Strobe Light? Or a camera flash? av-943.gif
oakdalecurtis
Here's the link from a few years ago discussing 3rd brake light options. And yes, I put a blinker relay in the hot lead. What I thought was interesting was that when I videotaped the light going on, you can see it light up (LED) a few milliseconds before the incandescent tail light bulbs:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=309015&hl=

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
LALAA
sixnotfour
Tail and Brake light
Chris914n6
There are all sorts of cheap options for a LED 3rd brake light on ebay/aliexpress that flashes at first and all that.
thelogo
I would use a tailgate brakelight

But that doesn't fix getting rear ended
Its the cel phone not the brakelights sheeplove.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 29 2020, 11:00 AM) *

LALAA

I'm thinking the same from these folks.

https://aoonuauto.com/blogs/news/third-brak...ht-installation

I'd prefer if Spoke @Spoke can offer a group buy. Keep the $$$ for our valued vendors.

Oscar
sixnotfour
Its the cel phone not the brakelights

True That.. sad.gif headbang.gif
But it Sure makes a 914 Look Big as a truck..
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 29 2020, 01:00 PM) *

IPB Image

LALAA

Please tell me how you made this? I want to install it on all of our 914s.

Clay
sixnotfour

@pjhaun 914 from years ago

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1240830
Spoke
QUOTE(914Toy @ Apr 29 2020, 01:28 PM) *

Reacting to the awful rear end collision reported this week here on World, I think a third brake light install is a low cost serious safety upgrade, Here is a question for SPOKE, how about suggesting or better, supplying a "blinking" relay(?) to wire in series with a third brake light power supply? Thus always, but only making the third brake light "blink' when the brake light is on via the brake pedal, to get the attention of these idiot texting drivers.

I totally agree with the importance of the 3rd brake light. If you don't have one you should be thinking about mounting one. Some guys have mounted the 3rd brake on the engine lid which is fine but I prefer to have the 3rd brake light as high as possible on the vehicle since the 914 sits so low.

I've thought about doing something for the 3rd brake on the 914 but the issue is there is no existing fixture to be reused or repurposed. As well there are many off-the-shelf options for 3rd brake and LED fixtures and strips.

Any solution will involve cutting, drilling, or taping and that's something I've stayed away from with my LED boards.

About the front-end flashers when you hit the brakes, there are many standalone brake light flashers on the market; some for as little as $5.

One thing I have thought about making is a pigtail with or without a flashing module that would help to wire a third brake light onto the roll hoop or engine lid. This is what I did with my 914.

On my 914 I stole power from the driver side rear light bucket using a Y-spade connector.

Click to view attachment

For ground I used a ring terminal and attached it to the ground stud behind the relay board.

Click to view attachment

I ran the power and ground wires up the sail panel under the trim and over to the 3rd brake light.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
The unit I used was from Summit Racing in the 12in version. They also have 9 and 6.5in versions.

Brake LED Strip

Using a small angle clip I mounted the light to the chrome trim on the roll hoop.

Click to view attachment

The LED is only 0.625 inches tall and is not seen from the interior because of the roll hoop pad in the interior.

Click to view attachment

I did have to file a little bit of the chrome strip for the angles to mount.

Click to view attachment

Also had to make a wire chase by grinding a slot in the roll hoop but this will be covered by the chrome strip.

Click to view attachment

It's a pretty easy install once the LED and wiring was determined. One thing I like about the wiring is none of the 914 OEM wiring was cut or spliced. One could also add a 3rd brake flasher in the wiring.
Coondog
QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 29 2020, 11:18 AM) *

I would use a tailgate brakelight

Its the cel phone not the brakelights sheeplove.gif

That’s the most intelligent thing you have ever posted........ first.gif first.gif first.gif
preach
Lots of clean installs but the one I liked best if I remember it correctly was done into the chrome strip. It was a very slick install.
mb911
What would be cool but doubt the tech exists but a wireless light with magnetic base that could be sent a signal from the brake light switch to turn on..
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 30 2020, 12:23 PM) *

What would be cool but doubt the tech exists but a wireless light with magnetic base that could be sent a signal from the brake light switch to turn on..

IF there was, how many of us would forget to change the batteries?
mb911
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 30 2020, 09:27 AM) *

True but we all remember to charge our phones.. Just a thought as no drilling would be required.
Spoke
QUOTE(preach @ Apr 30 2020, 01:17 PM) *

Lots of clean installs but the one I liked best if I remember it correctly was done into the chrome strip. It was a very slick install.

There's this one:

3rd Brake Light in Chrome Strip 1

And this one:

3rd Brake Light in Chrome Strip 2
Rikyrat
I was thinking about doing the same thing. I had an idea, that I might put in the rear reflector panel. It appears that the panel itself is red, and that there is a coating on the back of it. I was thinking that all I had to do was get the coating off somehow, then wire up the lights. Also, put a row in the upper strip on the sail panel, can't be too safe.

But even then, most of the yahoo's out there, are to distracted to noticed, that traffic is stopped. I had a guy rear end me in my TL, awhile back, and totaled it. That was a crying shame, since it was an SH-AWD with a 6-speed. The guy at the body shop said they were afraid of it, since they did not think they could get the chassis correctly aligned.

The problem as I see it, with the teener, which is what it so much fun, is that it is so low to the ground, I was following one in my gf's Trailblazer, and could barely see the tail light at a stop light. So that combined with distracted drivers, is a bad combination. Not that I am complaining, I love how low it is, and the feeling of your butt ring on the ground.
Cairo94507
I agree with Preach. The one that was cut into the top rear Chrome trim was the cleanest. Use a clear LED that disappears until you stop on the brakes. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Apr 29 2020, 11:20 AM) *
I'm thinking the same from these folks.

https://aoonuauto.com/blogs/news/third-brak...ht-installation

I'd prefer if Spoke @Spoke can offer a group buy. Keep the $$$ for our valued vendors.

Oscar

Oscar - I think I like this option a lot - I've been looking at doing the 3rd brake light and (for many reason - one being non-destructive) I think I'd prefer a self-adhesive version on the inside of the rear window. Problem is that most options have the adhesive on the "wrong" side of the fixture. The only thing on these is that they're 3-feet long and on first glance that seems big but the more I think about it, the more I like it....but if @Spoke could come up with something that's even better.

914Toy
Several of us have installed a third brake light that is available on eBay etc. and was stock on the late 1980's Corvettes, and surprisingly also on the 944 Cabriolet (spell?) - identical!

Click to view attachment
StarBear
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 30 2020, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 30 2020, 09:27 AM) *

True but we all remember to charge our phones.. Just a thought as no drilling would be required.

I'm with mb911 on this one, if at all possible. Wireless (no holes), removable and just have to remember to do the batteries once in a while (long while with LEDs). Any electro-techies out there?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(914Toy @ Apr 30 2020, 12:48 PM) *

Several of us have installed a third brake light that is available on eBay etc. and was stock on the late 1980's Corvettes, and surprisingly also on the 944 Cabriolet (spell?) - identical!

Click to view attachment

This is what I have. I think it is a perfect fit and looks great on the car.

Having said that, I lost my 914 in a rear end collision. Maybe under the roll bar would be better because it is higher. I cannot see mine sitting in the car. I don't think I would like to see something in the rear view mirror. Lights don't stop cars so nothing is perfect
pvollma
QUOTE(Rikyrat @ Apr 30 2020, 01:35 PM) *

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I had an idea, that I might put in the rear reflector panel. It appears that the panel itself is red, and that there is a coating on the back of it. I was thinking that all I had to do was get the coating off somehow, then wire up the lights. Also, put a row in the upper strip on the sail panel, can't be too safe.

That's what I did. I later added the flashing module, which I think should add to its visibility. Yes, I know, it's not up high, but the car had the center reflector when I bought it, and this solution was better than nothing.

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 29 2020, 11:51 AM) *

@pjhaun 914 from years ago

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1240830

Agreed and both threads very helpful and this is something I want to do too. idea.gif This is one of my favorites so far. first.gif

Thanks guys for all the great info. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Chris914n6
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 30 2020, 10:23 AM) *

My Snugtop has one. Battery powered, trigger is a light sensor pointed at the 3rd brake light on the cab.
mb911
Thats pretty cool..
Cairo94507
@pvollma - I like that since you already have the rear panel. Did you consider taking the LED lights all the way across the reflector panel? beerchug.gif
914Toy
What flashing module recommendation?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 30 2020, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(914Toy @ Apr 30 2020, 12:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment

This is what I have. I think it is a perfect fit and looks great on the car.

Having said that, I lost my 914 in a rear end collision. Maybe under the roll bar would be better because it is higher. I cannot see mine sitting in the car. I don't think I would like to see something in the rear view mirror. Lights don't stop cars so nothing is perfect

Have long wanted to do something like this, but don't want to see the third brake light on the car...so I haven't.

Need to do Spoke's brake light upgrades first, but I like your idea of putting something on the upper part of the targa bar—you wouldn't see it standing near the car, but a driver following you at any distance where there's still time to brake would. I wonder just how low profile something could be with today's LED lights? I wonder if it could get anywhere near slim enough to be "invisible" on the car—which might be slim enough to be acceptable in the rearview mirror. Anything there would help...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=camper+shell+bra...;ref=nb_sb_noss
Rleog
I like Spoke’s clean installation. Just ordered the 12” light from Summit. This will be a good Stay At Home project. Maybe I can draw it out to 3 or 4 hours. Oh, wait..... it’s a 914 project. No problem getting 3 or 4 hours.
pvollma
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 1 2020, 11:00 AM) *

@pvollma - I like that since you already have the rear panel. Did you consider taking the LED lights all the way across the reflector panel? beerchug.gif

I purchased both the LED strip and the flashing module from superbrightleds.com back in 2015, that may have been what they had in pre-cut weatherproof strips at the time. The flasher module rapidly flashes the bulbs 4 times for 0.4 seconds, slowly 4 times for 2.6 seconds, and then the lights remain on bright until the brake pedal is released.
Rleog
Patterned mine after Spoke’s installation. Went well.

Click to view attachment

sixnotfour
QUOTE(Rleog @ May 8 2020, 06:53 AM) *

Click to view attachment

first.gif
914e
QUOTE(Rleog @ May 8 2020, 05:53 AM) *

Click to view attachment

How did you run the wiring?
Rleog
“ How did you run the wiring?”

Look at posts #13 and 14 on page 1 of this thread.
Spoke
QUOTE(Rleog @ May 8 2020, 08:53 AM) *

Click to view attachment

After chatting with Bob, I decided to look into making a kit using the 12 inch LED strip hung under the chrome strip. It will also have a provision for adding a strobe flasher. I've got to figure out a way to attach the LEDs without much modifications. I had to file a bit of the chrome strip and Bob drilled and used a screw to hold the LEDs.

Also looking at the picture and his brake lights and license plate, I started working on this board. Anybody interested in it.

Click to view attachment
Rleog
Lol.... with that plate, I’m in.
mb911
I am interested in a solution.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 9 2020, 06:52 AM) *

Click to view attachment

After chatting with Bob, I decided to look into making a kit using the 12 inch LED strip hung under the chrome strip. It will also have a provision for adding a strobe flasher. I've got to figure out a way to attach the LEDs without much modifications. I had to file a bit of the chrome strip and Bob drilled and used a screw to hold the LEDs.

Also looking at the picture and his brake lights and license plate, I started working on this board. Anybody interested in it.

Click to view attachment

When I see the small strip of LEDs on the side of the board above, I wonder: How thin could a third brake light under the targa bar be? Could it get close to invisible?

If so, I'd be in…

Need to pull the trigger on Spoke's rear brake lights. Tempted by his other stuff but a love of the old incandescent glow stops me short on the front running lights and turn signals. Having already been rear-ended once, back in 1995, brake lights are another matter…
mepstein
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 9 2020, 09:52 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jerry - I'll buy whatever you make. beerchug.gif
porschetub
Mines a Hella unit which the PO had fitted into the roof ,why I don't know ?,my solution to power it was a small 2 pin plug mounted above the seatbelt anchor,unplugs easily when removing the roof.
Click to view attachment
Spoke
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 9 2020, 09:52 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Got the round pattern boards in. Will have to build up a couple of sets. Will give a set to Bob for his 914RS car.

Click to view attachment
drem914
Click to view attachment

Finally finished up my install yesterday. A simple install of a 36" weatherproof red LED strip. No drilling or targa bar dis-assembly required. Full stealth install as the strip is black and resides just under the under the deck grille until it lights up. Facing straight back to the trailing driver. Previously did the Spoke LED brake lights a couple years ago.
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
ok - this is pretty brilliant (so to speak...) what LEDs did you use - any more pics of the install?
drem914
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Oct 10 2021, 05:41 PM) *

ok - this is pretty brilliant (so to speak...) what LEDs did you use - any more pics of the install?

Here are a couple shots from the underside. Still need to clean up the wire management a bit. wire heads back to rear left brake light along wire harness for connection to power and ground taps. The strip https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/cl...redirect_disc=0 is currently discontinued by superbrightleds.com. Might be able to be found at another supplier.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
TomE
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 9 2020, 02:15 PM) *

Mines a Hella unit which the PO had fitted into the roof ,why I don't know ?,my solution to power it was a small 2 pin plug mounted above the seatbelt anchor,unplugs easily when removing the roof.
Click to view attachment

I like the look but I don't want to lose the break light when the roof is off? Is it illegal I wonder for the brake light to strobe before it turns solid? Our new work trucks will strobe for a few seconds before turning solid. It definitely grabs your attention.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.