Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Third brake light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TomE
Matt and I have discussed this several times. Does anyone know or would it be state by state. Can the break light strobe for a few seconds before turning solid? Either way we are going to do a third brake light on the teeners and I am going to add one to my 911.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(TomE @ Oct 11 2021, 09:25 AM) *

Does anyone know or would it be state by state. Can the break light strobe for a few seconds before turning solid?

Prohibited by FMVSS 108. Where you see it being done, it is technically illegal.

Mercedes has petioned several times to get small scale exemption to study the safety effects in US. Denied by US Gov't that is too dumb to get out of its own way despite feature having been deployed in Europe for over a decade. In Europe, the flashing is only triggerd in high deceleration, emergency stopping scenarios.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2...on-from-federal

Lest you think they have gotten smarter since 2005-2008 era petititon by Mercedes.
https://bmw.oemdtc.com/733/brake-lights-fla...bmw-motorcycles

Here's what they have to say about the BMW recall:

"What could happen?
During emergency (hard) braking, the stop lamp flashes which is not allowed in the US market due
to a Federal requirement. A flashing brake lamp could be confusing to drivers following an affected
motorcycle, and could increase the risk of a crash."

Hypocritcal given NHTSA has no real public data that has been shared with OEM's and NHTSA refuses to allow any study of high-G flashing brake lamps on public roads but yet they allow Tesla's out on public roads to study Auto Pilot / FSD (full self driving) which has lead to multiple fatalites. headbang.gif

US Gov't also inept with respect to forward illumination. Rest of World gets active headlap illumination that is able to more brightly illuminate the roadway while shielding oncoming drivers from high beam. This is done via active mirrors and/or active LED matrix. US literally decades behind. Same as was the case when Europe migrated to Halogen bulbs way back in late 60's or early 70's yet US remained in the dark ages (pun intended) of sealed beam headlaps until 80's.
burton73
PMB set up one for my 6

Bob BClick to view attachment
Chris914n6
A 3rd brake light that flashed a few times before going solid was an OEM standard for a few years.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(drem914 @ Oct 10 2021, 12:21 PM) *

Finally finished up my install yesterday. A simple install of a 36" weatherproof red LED strip. No drilling or targa bar dis-assembly required. Full stealth install as the strip is black and resides just under the under the deck grille until it lights up. Facing straight back to the trailing driver. Previously did the Spoke LED brake lights a couple years ago.

You beat me to it. I've been searching for a led strip to do the same thing aktion035.gif

I think it would be more visible to SUVs then the under targa light.
FlacaProductions
Thanks @drem914 - smart install. Those led strips are pretty ubiquitous and can be found many places. the black pcb/tape is nicely done.
TomE
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 11 2021, 01:36 PM) *

A 3rd brake light that flashed a few times before going solid was an OEM standard for a few years.

It would replicate pumping the brakes and it is an attention getter. That's all it would need is maybe 5 flashes and then solid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.