Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Rear Mount Oil Cooler Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
VaccaRabite
That's really clean. Super impressive. I need to do better cable management on my engine.

Zach
GregAmy
Thanks. I think the vast majority of my brain power for the whole project was working through the harness/wiring design and actually sitting down at the engine stand and wiring it up. It was one of those "Zen things" where I sat with beer and Pandora and just worked on it a bit at a time. All the design details are in Part 9 (10?) of the write-up I did. I even drew it up on cardboard so I can replicate it relatively easily if I had to make another (which I may consider doing for the race car).

https://tgadrivel.blogspot.com/2020/03/on-m...914-part-1.html

One design priority was to have quick connects and the ability to easily remove it. I did exactly that tonight to change the coil ground to 12AWG and it took me less than a minute to have it sitting on my work bench.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Montreal914
popcorn[1].gif on all topics smile.gif
Frank S
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 15 2020, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Frank S @ Jul 15 2020, 02:27 PM) *

Is it the Ignition coil cutting out or do you struggle with sync loss problems due to too high temps at the Crank Pic-Up Sensor?
Do you have a tooth log?

Very confident it's not synch loss; I'm not logging any synch loss at all except when I "burn" with the car running.

Symptoms are stumbles and the AFR momentarily pegs full lean. I replaced the coil with a new one and it briefly got a lot better but it's starting to come back. Usually runs smooth for a half hour, then very light stumbles til about 45 minutes, then very hard stumbles. Died on me yesterday, I had to coast to a stop. Top of the coil was 184F via IR.

I've been told this coil really likes big wires for power and ground, but I'm using AWG14 for both, didn't seem to affect anything.

I'm thinking it's just getting too hot in the location I have it (on top of where the disty was).

We can discuss in your Megasquirt thread, I need some ideas.

Click to view attachment

Hi Greg, would be fine with me. But I also think it's a temperature related issue. But after I checked the other post with the underfloor temp meassurements, which is great, I think there is a problem with the engine tune. I'm running much cooler oil and head temps without an additional oil cooler (2056).
But let's discuss this at a different place as it would be misleading here since Rob is running a lager displacement engine which requires additional oil cooling.
stownsen914
Very interesting re: the temp. under the back of the car. 120-140 degrees is not as hot as I would have expected. Can't argue with data. The second challenge with the cooler back there is limited air flow.
dirk2056
Cooling test under car with and w/out fans, Installed (2) 4" fans under trunk each side of transmission. Oil cooler was not installed for test, oil temp was 220 out side temp 90. Rough numbers fans removed 11 deg under car and no affect on oil temp.
Don't look at oil pressure numbers turned off car to take pictures.
Next test will be with oil cooler installed?? Is 220 oil temp acceptable?
2056 engine with duel 40 carbs
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Krieger
220* is a good oil temperature
GregAmy
QUOTE(Frank S @ Jul 17 2020, 03:26 AM) *
Hi Greg, would be fine with me. But I also think it's a temperature related issue.

Just a quick follow up: I think you're spot-on. Last week I move the coil to on top of the cooling fan (basically tye-wrapped it there) and drove it an hour with zero stumbles. Top of the coil was 94F, area on the block where it was mounted was 185F.

I need to work on a relocate bracket.

I'm also going to gold-reflect the bottom of the plenum and air filter box. Thoughts on any good phenolic washers/isolators where the plenum bolts to the case?

And, next time I've got the engine tin off I'm likely to gold-reflect its underside as well.

We've been living with a ton of excess heat on the top these engines and were never really worried about it.
BeatNavy
Just a follow up on this thread. Did about 600 miles this past weekend up to the NE gathering in PA. I sprung no major oil leaks. That is a good thing. I still have some oil drips to deal with, including (I think) on the front main and probably gear oil at the gear selector (need new gasket for that, I think). So while I left my mark everywhere shades.gif I didn't take an absolute dump anywhere.

Oil temps were really good all weekend (e.g. 210 to 220+) as long as the car was moving fast enough to displace that hot air underneath. This generally meant 55 mph and above. The Saturday joy ride with the group was a bit more difficult, as we were routinely below 50 mph and also stopped a number of times to gather up lost sheep. As soon as you stop the fan really can't do much to pull cool air in and cool the oil, particularly when ambient temps are 90 degrees.

For now I think I'm good, although I'm going to look into ways to bring cooler air to and through the cooler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.