Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil line on a six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
fixer34
So, "with a little (LOT) help from my friends...", Success! I'll celebrate in about a week once I make sure I'm not getting leaks from the hose replacement. As you can see from the pictures, it's a tight fit with the stock heat exchangers. The valve needs to be very close to the oil cooler connection to allow the HE clamp to be used and avoid too sharp a hose bend. Had to trim the hose down a bit from the original picture to get it to fit properly. (The 2 extra clamps are to prevent the hose from crimping at the bend until use/heat form it better.

All in all, a bit of an adventure. Once you know how it all comes apart and can beg/borrow/buy the proper tools, it isn't too bad.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(johnlush @ Aug 31 2020, 02:37 PM) *

FWIW, none of the fittings I have are left hand threaded.

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 30 2020, 07:00 PM) *

I changed the description text as I'm making progress.

Not quite sure where the 30x30 drain plug sub-thread came in, but that's cool. Kind of wondering where it would go anyway, I don't see any place on my line that has that type of connection.

As for progress, got the new line from BelMatic Friday, came in 2 days. Test fitted the check value and all is good. Going to buy a strap wrench tomorrow to see if I can loosen the aluminum housings without doing permanent damage. One of the pictures shows how it threads together (thank you...), but it was also mentioned that the threads are left-hand?? Can someone confirm so I don't go horsing on this in the wrong direction?
Pete

John I only mentioned the outer alloy piece was LH thread,these reusable fitting are different to the ones we used on the ships as our outer collars were steel and had a hex on them.....much easier to take apart and assemble.
Click to view attachment

fixer34
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 4 2020, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(johnlush @ Aug 31 2020, 02:37 PM) *

FWIW, none of the fittings I have are left hand threaded.

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Aug 30 2020, 07:00 PM) *

I changed the description text as I'm making progress.

Not quite sure where the 30x30 drain plug sub-thread came in, but that's cool. Kind of wondering where it would go anyway, I don't see any place on my line that has that type of connection.

As for progress, got the new line from BelMatic Friday, came in 2 days. Test fitted the check value and all is good. Going to buy a strap wrench tomorrow to see if I can loosen the aluminum housings without doing permanent damage. One of the pictures shows how it threads together (thank you...), but it was also mentioned that the threads are left-hand?? Can someone confirm so I don't go horsing on this in the wrong direction?
Pete

John I only mentioned the outer alloy piece was LH thread,these reusable fitting are different to the ones we used on the ships as our outer collars were steel and had a hex on them.....much easier to take apart and assemble.
Click to view attachment

Yeah, this would have made things much easier. That aluminum collar is slippery, even with a strap wrench. I did understand the LH reference though; the outer collar 'screws' onto the hose and it is opposite/LH.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.