Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear transmission bushing - can't get into 1st or Rev.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sfo_pete
Hello Everone,

Newbie here, '75 1.8, was out driving and lost ability to get into first or reverse, found that the rear bushing in the rear shifting linkage had disintegrated. This is the one at the rear fire wall between seat and engine. I think it's this: Shift Linkage Bushing For 964 - New/ReplacementS96442422300

How does this bushing stay in? Any insights appreciated.

Thanks, Peter
bzettner
Time to replace ALL of the shift rod bushings. Not too big of a job. piratenanner.gif
second wind
Just did mine this year and it looked just like yours....gone!! 914 Rubber has all the fixin's and you will become a transmission linkage expert in the process. You will laugh when it is all done and your can shift your car into all gears with only two fingers on the shift knob. Get to it!!
gg
sfo_pete
Got this out today, noticing my coupler does not separate from rear shifting rod as shown in the parts diagram and as in so many of the posts, why is that? Fan shroud re-attached too. Again, thanks all, can't wait to shift with 2 fingers...
Tdskip
The other one is a 911 coupler, yours looks correct.
second wind
Do some hard damn work and extra effort and you will get it....you will need a big vise and some ingenuity....and a bunch of some beautiful grease and a bunch of some brand new parts...some assembly required....get too it!!! You will be very happy at the end....a 914 happy ending....worked for me:)
Dr Evil
Wow, ya, surprised you had any gears. Heat the firewall bushing in boiling water to soften, then smoosh it in place. It will cool and harden up. Dont burn yourself.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(sfo_pete @ Sep 7 2020, 10:07 PM) *

Got this out today, noticing my coupler does not separate from rear shifting rod as shown in the parts diagram and as in so many of the posts, why is that? Fan shroud re-attached too. Again, thanks all, can't wait to shift with 2 fingers...

yep that other one is a 911, ours is ess same thing but it’s welded into the bar- get the bronze bushing for that coupler, and the rear transmission console bronze one from 914werke here on world, - new cone screws are a must too.

or you can do this- Raush and Spiegel billet coupler
Frankvw
like DREvil said : "Heat the firewall bushing in boiling water to soften,"
do that ! it will make the install and your life easy.
See my struggle with it in my post about the rear firewall bushing install I did:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=345742
the boiling was the solution !
Tdskip
So is it best to order the firewall replacement bushing directly from Porsche?
Frankvw
I would order a full set with one of the vendors here. then you have a full set. Not all is available at Porsche, and you need a full set, not just the firewall bushing.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Sep 9 2020, 09:58 AM) *

I would order a full set with one of the vendors here. then you have a full set. Not all is available at Porsche, and you need a full set, not just the firewall bushing.

Hello and thanks for the response. I thought your post suggested that the Porsche sourced one fit better, no?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 9 2020, 08:56 AM) *

So is it best to order the firewall replacement bushing directly from Porsche?
for firewall bushing,
get one from rick,
www.rix914parts.com

https://www.rix914parts.com/store/c2/Exclus...ix914Parts.html
Frankvw
"Hello and thanks for the response. I thought your post suggested that the Porsche sourced one fit better, no?"
Yes, in my case the quality of the Porsche part was way better than the aftermarket part, that is true. But I hear good stories about the sets from sellers known on this site. Keep in mind that I am in Europe so I have other vendors around me that do not always have what you guys can get in USA ! I would buy a full set with them and we can help with your questions about the install....good luck !
rhodyguy
You should be purchasing 2 of the set screws. Plan on it. Or, roll the dice. Set screws are far cheaper and easier than the towing hassle.
sfo_pete
All back together, new universal bushings and firewall bushings, thanks to Rich at High Performance house, he also suggested boiling the firewall bushing, that worked like a charm. Fan shroud also attached...so that was what was making that racket... Shifts precise and solidly, what a difference. Another tip from Rich was to not press in the bushing pin against the universal joint metal frame as it's not strong enough to take the force, only push on the pin and the rubber bushing.

Thanks all,

Peter
ndfrigi
nice!
Tdskip
Congratulations
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(sfo_pete @ Sep 13 2020, 03:53 PM) *

All back together, new universal bushings and firewall bushings, thanks to Rich at High Performance house, he also suggested boiling the firewall bushing, that worked like a charm. Fan shroud also attached...so that was what was making that racket... Shifts precise and solidly, what a difference. Another tip from Rich was to not press in the bushing pin against the universal joint metal frame as it's not strong enough to take the force, only push on the pin and the rubber bushing.

Thanks all,

Peter

Outstanding! The vendor community and technical support from members makes all the difference. I'm tackling this on a tail shift 1970 car. All of my shift rod bushings in the car are disintegrated to dust. Can't wait to see how it shifts after.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.