Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How fast is fast enough – Turbocharging the LS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ClayPerrine
You are insane... and I am envious. Betty says I can't have a TPC supercharger kit for the 4.0 in my 914. mad.gif

I also want the Vonnen Shadow drive too. But that is $70K, installed.
BillJ
Just spent 30 minutes down the Vonnen rabbit hole. That is pretty slick.
AZBanks
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Dec 7 2020, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Dec 7 2020, 12:06 PM) *

I have one of these kits in my garage, still in boxes. Too bad it is for an LT, not an LS.

https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/Banks-Po...tem-p/21103.htm

There I fixed it for you.
Can't go wrong with Banks. And you could probably sell the Banks headers for more that the ebay headers.

Click to view attachment

I'm not sure about that. The one part of the Banks kit that is a disappointment is the headers/manifolds. I think they were built to handle the heat and stress of the turbo over all other factors. They are heavy/heavy duty but they appear to be chunks of heavy pipe welded together with no concern given to airflow. There are large ridges inside where the pipes are welded together and lots of big lumpy weld bead. If I ever get around to using the kit, I will spend a lot of time with a dremel smoothing out the inside of the headers or I will buy replacements.
dan10101
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 2 2021, 04:55 AM) *

You are insane... and I am envious. Betty says I can't have a TPC supercharger kit for the 4.0 in my 914. mad.gif

I also want the Vonnen Shadow drive too. But that is $70K, installed.

Personally I would go for a sequential... piratenanner.gif driving.gif
dan10101
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Feb 2 2021, 06:48 AM) *

I'm not sure about that. The one part of the Banks kit that is a disappointment is the headers/manifolds. I think they were built to handle the heat and stress of the turbo over all other factors. They are heavy/heavy duty but they appear to be chunks of heavy pipe welded together with no concern given to airflow. There are large ridges inside where the pipes are welded together and lots of big lumpy weld bead. If I ever get around to using the kit, I will spend a lot of time with a dremel smoothing out the inside of the headers or I will buy replacements.

That's too bad, I had a lot of respect for Banks development. They seem to go over the top to develop the best product. I guess it falls down in production. But, Hey, if your buying new headers anyway.... idea.gif
AZBanks
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Feb 2 2021, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Feb 2 2021, 06:48 AM) *

That's too bad, I had a lot of respect for Banks development. They seem to go over the top to develop the best product. I guess it falls down in production. But, Hey, if your buying new headers anyway.... idea.gif

The headers/manifold is from the mid/late 80's so I'll cut them some slack on production quality. I doubt they would let something like that out the door these days. Watching the Banks youtube videos on the development process for their truck differential cover shows that they sweat every detail.
dan10101
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Feb 2 2021, 09:31 AM) *

The headers/manifold is from the mid/late 80's so I'll cut them some slack on production quality. I doubt they would let something like that out the door these days. Watching the Banks youtube videos on the development process for their truck differential cover shows that they sweat every detail.

That makes sense. Their process now is pretty much top of the line. Maybe they'll trade you the antiques for their latest product?
dan10101
We're getting closer...

I made some progress on the plumbing, the hot side, and the cold side

Things to do:
Plumb the Oil Scavenging Pump for the turbo oil drain.
Install the 3bar map sensor. (just in case I ever want to run 15psi...) aktion035.gif
Update the ECU to work with the 3bar. And do a home brew tune to get it ready for a bit of boost. (ok I probably should have stuck with 2bar...)
Fab up some covers for the bottom and the top.
And some wiring...

A couple of new videos... Somewhat entertaining if only for a laugh...

Aluminum welding is hard...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuEdYdt-DPY

I hacked together an exhaust insert. It actually kinda works. I'll do some sound comparison in the latest video. Plus added the missing wastegate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fwkngUXIdI...eature=youtu.be
horizontally-opposed

I probably shouldn't mention that a stock 993 with a TPC supercharger (and no intercooler…) remains my all-time favorite air-cooled 911 engine, right? poke.gif

But the silver lining for a fantasy I won't be indulging in, either, is I'm not sure an Eaton and its drive will fit in the 914 engine bay?
preach
Enjoyed the vid as always!
dan10101
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 20 2021, 01:03 PM) *

I probably shouldn't mention that a stock 993 with a TPC supercharger (and no intercooler…) remains my all-time favorite air-cooled 911 engine, right?

But the silver lining for a fantasy I won't be indulging in, either, is I'm not sure an Eaton and its drive will fit in the 914 engine bay?

I'm not really a fan of Supercharging, but I'm sure the more modern systems have less drag and more boost. (my 2 major drawbacks.)

On the other hand any modern flat 6 with boost would be acceptable if the budget would allow. driving.gif
tygaboy
Here I am, looking at swapping in a different engine (due to too much hp) and you're working to get more. I really am a wuss, aren't I?

@Dan10101 - I can't wait to see your beast back on the road with this latest madness in play!
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 20 2021, 06:05 PM) *

Here I am, looking at swapping in a different engine (due to too much hp) and you're working to get more. I really am a wuss, aren't I?

@Dan10101 - I can't wait to see your beast back on the road with this latest madness in play!

Hey, keep me in mind when I blow mine up!
shades.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 20 2021, 08:05 PM) *

Click to view attachment
dan10101

Dang, it's been 4 months! A lot has happened. Including a First Start! (and DRIVE!)
Well, some of you saw it started a couple of months ago. Well, We had to rebuild the engine. It's a long story, but the jist of it is that it went from 11.3 to 1 compression to 9 to 1 compression and now it's relatively quiet for a change.
Plus now I can run pump gas and maybe if I keep the boost down I can do this without upgrading the fuel system. So far so good.
So the engine was out, sent to be machined, and now back in with the latest video. But even better, it's running and making boost. I have a large laundry list of things to do and I'm knocking them out as quick as I can.

Here's the latest YouTube video. https://youtu.be/5u_ZkTKLdnQ

Here's the previous one with the Engine rebuild details. https://youtu.be/DGNqk35liPg

I don't know how far behind I am, but here's the rest of the Turbo LS videos in a playlist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq42jvpTJo8...VoMhuzSM-Fd7Avo

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.