Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How fast is fast enough – Turbocharging the LS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dan10101
Yeah, I know its nuts. But we’re going to turbo the Screamsicle. (also known as Morpheus..)

Click to view attachment

For you that aren’t familiar with the car, it’s a 5.7 LS6 engine that has many goodies. The dyno sheet I was given with the car shows 430 rwhp. My dyno showed 362 rwhp. But I’m thinking that was mostly the differences in dynos. Either way, both numbers are thrown around. We’ll go with 362 going forward.

We’ll be adding a VS Racing 7875 Turbo with .96ar and V-band connections. With minimum boost I expect to be close to 500rwhp. We’ll use that for AX and track days at least to start. The drag strip is where we’ll eventually turn it up to about 14psi. That will give us approx. 700rwhp and hopefully set a mark to be beat.

I go into why and everything else in the video, but really, it’s because I want to… 

Here’s the intro video for the LS Turbo series on our Budget Outlaws channel.

https://youtu.be/6_Mlwf0nHLw
dan10101
Besides building the turbo kit, I have a lot of work to do:

More fuel delivery is a given. We’ll be using E85 for the 14psi runs.

The engine will come apart for a refresh and gaping the rings for boost.

I need to rework the brakes. They stop OK, but just OK isn’t good enough.

Build a front splitter, possibly make a flat bottom for under the engine.

Rework the front fiberglass for more cooling. Ala the original build that Bill did.

Possibly a wing, I know it’s a little extreme, but that’s where this is going and from my research the spoilers don’t have much downforce due to airflow.

And then maybe I’ll finally get around to painting it…

smash.gif welder.gif smash.gif
sixnotfour
remember when
AZBanks
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower.

— Mark Donohue
dan10101
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 5 2020, 01:38 PM) *

remember when

Whenever I here that quote from Keith Black I think of this video. 32psi broke the dyno..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHod9SRuiHo
dan10101
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Dec 5 2020, 02:25 PM) *

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower.

— Mark Donohue

Now THAT is what I'm talking about, ya know?
r_towle
Is that the car from NJ?

Rich
dan10101
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 5 2020, 04:31 PM) *

Is that the car from NJ?

Rich

Yes it was. I bought it from Paul after it was wrecked.
tygaboy
"If more is good, too much is just enough."

I vote twin turbos. I mean, who doesn't love twins? laugh.gif

Dan, I cant wait to see this happen! If there's anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to let me know.
wndsrfr
Go with Wilwood calipers & rotors--the ones I have are 4 piston using Porterfield pads meant for stock cars--like way too much brakes for my 1950 pounds & 215 hp. Search on my name and wilwood for description of the specific calipers/rotors--BTW, rotors are like $40 each--hard to beat! For drag use go with Porterfield's pads that have strong bite without needing to be hot...
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 5 2020, 05:34 PM) *

Dan, I cant wait to see this happen! If there's anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to let me know.

It's your OCD setting in. You just can't have things uneven. I'm surprised you don't have a McClaren seat in the middle of you car. LOL beer3.gif

But really, Twins would look cool. cheer.gif cheer.gif
dan10101
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Dec 5 2020, 06:40 PM) *

Go with Wilwood calipers & rotors--the ones I have are 4 piston using Porterfield pads meant for stock cars--like way too much brakes for my 1950 pounds & 215 hp. Search on my name and wilwood for description of the specific calipers/rotors--BTW, rotors are like $40 each--hard to beat! For drag use go with Porterfield's pads that have strong bite without needing to be hot...

I'll check it out. I already have 930 brakes all around, So they should work, but somethings not right with the balance.
914forme
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 5 2020, 08:34 PM) *

LS Twin Turbo is a great choice, pattern the design after the twin turbo BMW V8s used in the M cars, great engine design. Water to air intercoolers for each turbo. Just need to size the turbos right, and you're good.

popcorn[1].gif
FL000
Looking forward to seeing this come together. Does the bottom end of the engine need any help (crank/rods) or good as is?
r_towle
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Dec 5 2020, 07:35 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 5 2020, 04:31 PM) *

Is that the car from NJ?

Rich

Yes it was. I bought it from Paul after it was wrecked.

it was fast enough then....now you are officially nuts.
I approve.
Mueller
That'll be fun for sure...
dan10101
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Dec 6 2020, 07:28 PM) *

Looking forward to seeing this come together. Does the bottom end of the engine need any help (crank/rods) or good as is?

No, just a refresh and probably more ring gap. It's forged Crank, rods and pistons, decent heads. Bill really built it right. But 11.2-1 compression will require e85 or something better and really proper tuning at 14 PSI of boost.
dan10101
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 6 2020, 08:46 PM) *

it was fast enough then....now you are officially nuts.
I approve.

I blame the Covid. It's fried my brain. Isn't everything because of the Covid?
mbseto
Good grief. How much fun is a person allowed to have?
cali914
Great question and I think there is a simple answer. Fast enough is when it breaks, and on the street the more hp, the more wheel spin, or something has to give. So I guess the answer is there is a limit to no limits. LOL Twin Turbo LS you have to get the gearbox from the C8. beerchug.gif
burton73
QUOTE(cali914 @ Dec 7 2020, 09:05 AM) *

Great question and I think there is a simple answer. Fast enough is when it breaks, and on the street the more hp, the more wheel spin, or something has to give. So I guess the answer is there is a limit to no limits. LOL Twin Turbo LS you have to get the gearbox from the C8. beerchug.gif

He has a 4 speed gearbox from a 930 Porsche. Good for over 650HP so that should not break -930 CVs?

Bob B
dan10101
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 7 2020, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(cali914 @ Dec 7 2020, 09:05 AM) *

He has a 4 speed gearbox from a 930 Porsche. Good for over 650HP so that should not break -930 CVs?

Bob B

Yes, 930 CVs.
The wide range 4spd means less shifting. 60-100 and maybe even 30-100 times could be done without shifting if I have the gearing right. So that may be where I have my most fun if I'm allowed. shades.gif
Can someone confirm my gear ratios? I believe it's a 78 930 box.

Diff 4.22
1st 2.25
2nd 1.304
3rd .893
4th .625

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
930/34
930 Turbo 1978-85

4-speed fully-synchronized transaxle

Manufactured by Porsche (ZF)

Long bell housing

Plate-type limited-slip differential available

Rod shift

Single-plate clutch

Gear ratios:

1st gear: 2.25

2nd gear: 1.304

3rd gear: 0.893

4th gear: 0.625

Ring and pinion: 4.22
burton73
I have a short bell housing on mine, does that make it a 1977?

Bob B
dan10101
Bob, I can't answer that but here is mine for comparison.

Click to view attachment
dan10101
Well, according to this website. I have an earlier trans. 75-77
And lower diff gears.

https://californiamotorsports.net/pages/por...e-specification

I don't know if that will matter at all, but just trying to keep it straight.

dan10101
Actually Bobby Hart from CA Motorsports rebuilt it last.
I'm guessing he would discourage a turbo setup. sunglasses.gif

burton73
Mine is set up to run upside down and has oil squirter set up for the trans to run with an oil cooler or not. The place that built it GBox said I would not need to run it but it is set up for it.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
https://www.gboxweb.com/930specs.html

930/30
930 Turbo 1975-76

4-speed fully-synchronized transaxle

Manufactured by Porsche (ZF)

Short bell housing

Plate-type limited-slip differential available

Rod shift

Single-plate clutch

Gear ratios:

1st gear: 2.25

2nd gear: 1.304

3rd gear: 0.893

4th gear: 0.656

dan10101
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 7 2020, 11:15 AM) *

Mine is set up to run upside down and has oil squirter set up for the trans to run with an oil cooler or not. The place that built it GBox said I would not need to run it but it is set up for it.

Bob B

Yeah, Michael Cuoco on the Facebook group is setup that way. I'm guessing when they built my car, they weren't sure if it would oil correctly in that orientation. Now you guys can save the bucks to flip it internally. His looks to be the later case.

I'm thinking mine has the later gear ratio. 4.22. The gearing doesn't seem to add up. Maybe my speedo is off. I'll have to do some testing.

Here is Michaels

Click to view attachment
dan10101
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 7 2020, 11:27 AM) *

https://www.gboxweb.com/930specs.html

930/30
930 Turbo 1975-76

Thank You.
That makes more sense.
AZBanks
I have one of these kits in my garage, still in boxes. Too bad it is for an LT, not an LS.

https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/Banks-Po...tem-p/21103.htm
dan10101
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Dec 7 2020, 12:06 PM) *

I have one of these kits in my garage, still in boxes. Too bad it is for an LT, not an LS.

https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/Banks-Po...tem-p/21103.htm

There I fixed it for you.
Can't go wrong with Banks. And you could probably sell the Banks headers for more that the ebay headers.

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Dan - I'm running a set of eBay turbo forward headers and I have to say, for $160, they are actually pretty nice. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, if that's the sort of set up you need.
sixnotfour
Way Back 1986
rhodyguy
That looks like the engine comp might get a little warm. Even with the heat shielding.
Andyrew
Hey all, voice of reason over here.. He's going with ONE ~1000hp turbo mounted by the passenger headlight, not two smile.gif

Andyrew
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 7 2020, 12:41 PM) *

Way Back 1986

Funny thing is, I tried to get Dad (Dan) to buy this car as well... Unfortunately he had not sold the El Camino at the time or else it would probably be in the garage...
sixnotfour
Hey all, voice of reason over here.. He's going with ONE ~1000hp turbo mounted by the passenger headlight, not two

That's how kids these days do it
rhodyguy
Near the headlight? How does that work? Multiple meters of high pressure silicon tubing? Like Rich Bontempi's old race car with the cool air ducting running thru the interior of the car?
AZBanks
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 7 2020, 02:28 PM) *

Hey all, voice of reason over here.. He's going with ONE ~1000hp turbo mounted by the passenger headlight, not two smile.gif

Two is one and one is none...

Oh, sorry, wrong forum. ar15.gif
dan10101
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Dec 7 2020, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 7 2020, 02:28 PM) *

Two is one and one is none...

Oh, sorry, wrong forum. ar15.gif

lol-2.gif I do like that quote.... ar15.gif

I'm trying to think this thru, if one dies do both not work?
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 7 2020, 12:29 PM) *

Dan - I'm running a set of eBay turbo forward headers and I have to say, for $160, they are actually pretty nice. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, if that's the sort of set up you need.

Actually the headers were for AXBanks who had the wrong headers in his kit.
Not that you NEED an LS to make big HP with a Banks kit..

I know the ebay quality has gone up a smidge over the years.
Andyrew
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 7 2020, 01:45 PM) *

Near the headlight? How does that work? Multiple meters of high pressure silicon tubing? Like Rich Bontempi's old race car with the cool air ducting running thru the interior of the car?

Misstype - Tail light smile.gif
dan10101
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 7 2020, 01:28 PM) *

Well In my case it's the Passenger Taillight. Maybe I'll remove the taillight for more air.. lol-2.gif (and 1000 is a bit of a stretch.)
dan10101
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 7 2020, 01:30 PM) *

Way Back 1986

Funny thing is, I tried to get Dad (Dan) to buy this car as well... Unfortunately he had not sold the El Camino at the time or else it would probably be in the garage...

I can't tell you how many links to cars he sent me...
Andyrew
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Dec 7 2020, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 7 2020, 01:30 PM) *

Way Back 1986

I can't tell you how many links to cars he sent me...

I can send you more if you want..... biggrin.gif
burton73
So, I am thinking? What it would be like with a Turbo for my 86 Corvette Eng. Looked over Dan’s idea for a single turbo and it looks like that may be the set up for me. So, I have fresh factory Aluminum heads and if I went with a special cam and aftermarket injection and maybe different pistons I wonder how it will run with a single turbo. I had a single turbo on a 4 cylinder 2.0 back in the late 70s and it ran great at certain times. Stock injection on the 2.0 needed better enrichment. Wonder if it could make 500 HP without inner cooling?

My mind is always working better than my body these days

Bob B
dan10101
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 7 2020, 06:02 PM) *

So, I am thinking? What it would be like with a Turbo for my 86 Corvette Eng. Looked over Dan’s idea for a single turbo and it looks like that may be the set up for me. So, I have fresh factory Aluminum heads and if I went with a special cam and aftermarket injection and maybe different pistons I wonder how it will run with a single turbo. I had a single turbo on a 4 cylinder 2.0 back in the late 70s and it ran great at certain times. Stock injection on the 2.0 needed better enrichment. Wonder if it could make 500 HP without inner cooling?

My mind is always working better than my body these days

Bob B

If you have an idea of how much it makes NA, you can pretty much double that at 14psi. This is according to Dyno Master Richard Holden. Then picking the turbo, getting the inter-cooling right, and making sure the fueling is up to snuff. Lets say your build 86 corvette engine makes 350 to the wheels. With the right turbo, at 14psi you could double that. Then, as I am realizing, you need to make sure your AERO is right, your brakes are right, your rollover protection is right All of which I need to do as well. Oh, and cooling, intercooling, fuel delivery. It's a rabbits hole for sure. My Budget turbo is going to cost me a lot of money. But the car will be better for it.

We don't need 2 turbos to make big hp. But one big turbo can be laggy compared to 2 smaller ones. I chose a big ish turbo with a small hotside which should lead to (hopefully) just the right amount of lag that the torque of the built v8 should be able to override. My biggest fear of this setup is that the boost creep will be uncontrollable with only one waste gate. So I may have to add a second wastegate to be able to run say 5psi of boost. Other than that, It should work well without overpowering my drivetrain.
dan10101
Well, this Turbo LS is really happening.
The Exhaust/Hot Side is done! Well, minus the wastegate, But really why not!

Here's the latest video. I haven't been totally hibernating thru the winter.

A propane heater helps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq42jvpTJo8
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.