Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gearing question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mate914
I have a 2056 engine. I live in in the mountains of Pennsylvania, I have one red light in the county I live in. It is always spirited driving. My question is, has anyone swapped the fifth for third and then kept a regular fourth,fifth gear. I am thinking about doing this....
Matt
targa72e
i swapped 5th for 3rd and changed 4th to S, keep 5th tall. mine has a 6 not a 4. I like it for around town.

john

QUOTE(mate914 @ Jan 29 2021, 06:15 PM) *

I have a 2056 engine. I live in in the mountains of Pennsylvania, I have one red light in the county I live in. It is always spirited driving. My question is, has anyone swapped the fifth for third and then kept a regular fourth,fifth gear. I am thinking about doing this....
Matt

mlindner
I did the same as targa72e but used a Q for fourth, same if you going to highway cruse keep 5th stock or close to it.
porschetub
so I presume its a waste of time with a stock trans as that is the trans for a 4 ?.
So far I have found the ratio's are pretty good with my small '6' but the fact these motors rev a lot faster and haven't driven mine much @ our highway speed so not really sure ?.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(mate914 @ Jan 29 2021, 03:15 PM) *

Matt

Find an "S" to use for 4th and swap 5th to 3rd and 3rd to 5th giving you A/F/KA/S/Z....you'll like it--it'll keep revs high for the uphill cruising sections...
Montreal914
I have a 2056 and a couple of gearboxes, one stock ratio and one close. Before starting my restoration last year, the one I was driving with was A-F-M-S-ZD. very pleasant shifting 3rd and even more 4th. Obviously, from 4th to 5th, it is quite a step, but it keep the revs down on the highway. Compromises.

Not sure what I will do when I re-assemble the car... idea.gif

Mark Henry
Always keep in mind for proper cooling you must keep at least 3000rpm.
For a T4 the stock gearing is pretty good for normal street driving.

I run A,F,O,X, and a flipped HA, but I have a big /6.
stownsen914
A flipped 5th in 3rd ("KA") sounds a bit short to me for a /4. You'd have a big jump from 3rd to 4th.
brant
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Feb 1 2021, 11:07 PM) *

A flipped 5th in 3rd ("KA") sounds a bit short to me for a /4. You'd have a big jump from 3rd to 4th.

It’s a whole lot better when you change 4th and 5th also
M /S/ X

Or:
Ka /S /X

Are nice -4 cylinder sport boxes
I should sell mine
johnhora
agree.gif with brant AFMSX is a good all around box for your application
and plenty of these gears reasonably available...
you don't want too a big spread between the gears....keep the revs close

check this discussion out:
http://www.914world.com/specs/regearing_901.php
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(targa72e @ Jan 31 2021, 12:03 PM) *

i swapped 5th for 3rd and changed 4th to S, keep 5th tall. mine has a 6 not a 4. I like it for around town.

john

Well, here I thought I came up with a novel solution but it ends up I did the same as a couple of others on the board. A-F-Ka-S-ZA and love it in my car. Great 1-2-3 for autocrossing, a stock(-6) 5th for highway cruising, and the 'S' fourth does a nice job bridging between 3rd and 5th so there isn't as much of a gap as I experienced in other cars with a flipped 5th and stock 4th gear.

Curious though if you're just using it for cruising, if you really want such a low 3rd gear. Its not bad, but unless you are really targeting a specific operating point (like I was for autocrossing) I'd look for a taller 3rd gear solution like an 'M'. Note also that its a big RPM drop from an 'S' 4th gear to the stock(-4) 'ZD' 5th gear; the RPM drop to a 'ZA' 5th from a -6 is quite manageable.
Montreal914
Yep, A,F,M,S is great, then the ZD is too tall. The X would probably be pretty high revving on the highway for street use.
I like the idea of using a flipped 3rd as a 5th if it is shorter than the ZD yet not too short for highway drivability. Definitely a cheap option.
Agreed that flipped 5th into 3rd position seems pretty short.

Really depends on the type of use. Tire diameter obviously has a big impact too...

All fun driving.gif
campbellcj
I have the Ka (flipped ZD)-Q-V setup which is a short-track box, not freeway driveable as noted above. My engine is high-revving but for mainly street I would probably want an MSX if not taller...in fact I may get a 2nd trans with different gearing sometime
ClayPerrine
The box that was in my six conversion with the 2.4L engine was A-F-KA-S-ZD. I tried a flipped HB for 5th, but ended up with a car that couldn't be driven at 60 mph. It turned too slow in 5th, and overheated. It turned too fast in 4th, and it would overheat.

Once I went to the ZD fifth, it ran fine and didn't overheat.
JamesM
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 2 2021, 07:30 AM) *

M /S/ X

Or:
Ka /S /X

I should sell mine

If you are going to, let me know.
brant
QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 3 2021, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Feb 2 2021, 07:30 AM) *

M /S/ X

Or:
Ka /S /X

I should sell mine

If you are going to, let me know.

It’s got a locked diff in it
All good Internals. but was a track only box and diff makes it so
mate914
Thank you all for the great suggestions. Looks like I will keep gear stack stock for now. Seeing how easy they are to change.... 2.2 with e cams in the works.
Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.