Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 stock engine mount prices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jett
Our next project is a 914-6 conversion and was wondering what the cost of a stock engine mount is? In addition, we are looking for a stock air box but know very little about the different types. The core motor is a 69 911s 2.0 with Weber’s.

Any education and or pointers would be appreciated.

Darren
Superhawk996
Not sure what you mean by stock mount. True 914/6 OEM mounts are super pricey and hard to find.

I went with a MadDog OEM style mount cost is about $350 but I paid a bit less on a Black Friday discount.

The only downside I see to it is that the isolation isn't the OEM mount but one of the rather small Wevo spool mounts. I intend to modify the body side of the mount to use the OEM rubber isolation for better NVH.

My engine side of the mount if out for powder coat along with your tin! Which reminds me I need to follow up on those parts huh.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 2 2021, 04:54 AM) *

Not sure what you mean by stock mount. True 914/6 OEM mounts are super pricey and hard to find.

I went with a MadDog OEM style mount cost is about $350 but I paid a bit less on a Black Friday discount.

The only downside I see to it is that the isolation isn't the OEM mount but one of the rather small Wevo spool mounts. I intend to modify the body side of the mount to use the OEM rubber isolation for better NVH.

My engine side of the mount if out for powder coat along with your tin! Which reminds me I need to follow up on those parts huh.gif

That mount shouldnt need any modification to use the stock isolator. It is also what I recommend to all of my customers. It has the most clearance and keeps things simple.
mb911
QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 1 2021, 08:42 PM) *

Our next project is a 914-6 conversion and was wondering what the cost of a stock engine mount is? In addition, we are looking for a stock air box but know very little about the different types. The core motor is a 69 911s 2.0 with Weber’s.

Darren

Darren,

The stock air filter assembly wouldn't fit properly in my car. I had a steel air box and restored it then it didn't fit.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 2 2021, 08:00 AM) *

That mount shouldnt need any modification to use the stock isolator. It is also what I recommend to all of my customers. It has the most clearance and keeps things simple.

Interesting. The Wevo spool is held by an adapter plate. I had assumed that I'd have to do something to make an OEM 914/6 rubber mount work and just looked into a used part on the F/S forum to use as the template for mod's.

I guess I should just go ahead and order the new 914/6 isolator and see how it fits up.
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 2 2021, 05:08 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 2 2021, 08:00 AM) *

Interesting. The Wevo spool is held by an adapter plate. I had assumed that I'd have to do something to make an OEM 914/6 rubber mount work and just looked into a used part on the F/S forum to use as the template for mod's.

I guess I should just go ahead and order the new 914/6 isolator and see how it fits up.

Yes just remove the adapter and your all good
Jett
Thanks for all the information. eBay has an OEM mount for $700, but that sure seems expensive, but maybe aftermarket is best from a cost perspective.

Does anyone have a picture of the correct air box?
mb911
QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 2 2021, 09:11 AM) *

Thanks for all the information. eBay has an OEM mount for $700, but that sure seems expensive, but maybe aftermarket is best from a cost perspective.

Does anyone have a picture of the correct air box?

It would be plastic..

Re the mount see maddog motorsports and buy the oem style setup for $350 ish and never look back.
Jett

Lol no worries and no rush smile.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Mad Dog has a very reasonable one. We have his and the German much more expensive one and the quality compares

QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 1 2021, 09:42 PM) *

Darren

Jett
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 2 2021, 09:18 AM) *

Mad Dog has a very reasonable one. We have his and the German much more expensive one and the quality compares

QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 1 2021, 09:42 PM) *

Darren

Thanks George
rgalla9146
OR
Fabricate your own version of the original bulkhead mount.
Buy the new copy of the OEM rubber mount
Create a 914 6 'on engine' mount by modifing a 911 part.
horizontally-opposed
I used the Rich Johnson mount. It's like the factory 914-6 mount, but uses two rubber-isolated mounts instead of one. Seems steadier to me, came finished in black with all hardware and the mounts IIRC, and went in without a hitch. It's been in use with zero issues for about a decade.

Great info on the various bulkhead mounts here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=110919

Factory 914-6 airboxes seem to list for $350-850 depending on condition (and optimism…). Suspect your metal 911S airbox might well offset that cost, as it too is a desirable piece. This board, Pelican Parts, and Early 911S Registry are all good places to check. For some pics of a plastic 914-6 airbox, see below.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=335848

Key differentiator is the snorkel points to the passenger side on a 914-6 airbox, where a 911 snorkel goes the other way. A cut-down snorkel won't matter much, or you can go with the "GT3 Cup" filter holder—which is what I am running—instead. I prefer the acoustics of the factory airbox to rain hats, but YMMV! smile.gif
930cabman
We are gathering parts and pieces for a /6 conversion, looking at this one:

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/product/9...n-engine-mount/

looks simple, price decent
mb911
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 2 2021, 03:19 PM) *

Do know that if you use that mount it causes the engine to sit lower i. The chassis by 3/4" and the engine tin does not seal and you will have to do custom shift linkage.. it also pulls the engine forward in the chassis which strains on the trans ears and mounts.
mepstein
Porsche also sells a stock 914-6 rubber mount. Porsche (914-375-049-01)
Sunset lists it for $200, pelican charges $250
Superhawk996
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 2 2021, 06:19 PM) *

Without completely revisiting the topic that has been covered elsewhere. You need to know what you want out of the mount.

Mounts that may work well for racing aren't what you want for street use where minimal NVH is presumably what you want. Minimal NVH comes from mounts with high stiffness and lots of rubber to isolate.
930cabman
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 2 2021, 06:21 PM) *

Do know that if you use that mount it causes the engine to sit lower i. The chassis by 3/4" and the engine tin does not seal and you will have to do custom shift linkage.. it also pulls the engine forward in the chassis which strains on the trans ears and mounts.

Thank you for the heads up Ben. For sure I want the engine tin to seal. Is the Mad Dog a good option? I have tried the search and have not been very successful. Our 914/6 conversion will be a street cruiser only, will never see a track
mb911
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 2 2021, 04:03 PM) *

Thank you for the heads up Ben. For sure I want the engine tin to seal. Is the Mad Dog a good option? I have tried the search and have not been very successful.

Yes @mcmark designed it and its the best mount out there
The rich johnson mount and the maddog copy of the Rich Johnson mount are fine but the oem style doesn't block or get in the way of anything. Really the way to go.. I built 4 oem mounts then gave up because there are so many options. I even have a retrofit with corrections done to a Naro mount but I am thinking I may just buy a bunch of mad dogs oem mounts and I will resell to folks looking.

Ps I get no kick backs for being a fan. I have used all the options out there and the oem style is the best.
mepstein
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 2 2021, 07:03 PM) *

Thank you for the heads up Ben. For sure I want the engine tin to seal. Is the Mad Dog a good option? I have tried the search and have not been very successful. Our 914/6 conversion will be a street cruiser only, will never see a track

https://maddogsmotorsports.com/shop/ols/pro...ica-motor-mount

IronHillRestorations
I have a Johnson in kit form, if you can weld. Pm me if interested
930cabman
A Mad Dog OEM style will be on order tomorrow, I already have their chassis reinforcing kit and longitudinal stiffening kit are on the way.

Thanks to all.

OP: from what Mad Dog says, their mount is an OEM replica
mepstein
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 2 2021, 08:01 PM) *

A Mad Dog OEM style will be on order tomorrow, I already have their chassis reinforcing kit and longitudinal stiffening kit are on the way.

Thanks to all.

OP: from what Mad Dog says, their mount is an OEM replica

Here's the background for the mount.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=209763
raynekat
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2021, 04:09 PM) *

I would definitely go with this style mount if doing another conversion project.
It is most factory like.
The other ones can get in the way of your wiring harness and just take up too much real estate in that area.
The factory knew what they were doing when designing/building these.

Instead of a 911 engine mount, I'd hunt down the following.
They can be found for reasonable prices.

You need both the rubber mount:

Click to view attachment

And the metal bracket that holds the rubber mount:

Click to view attachment

Plus the big long bolt that goes through both of these.

Click to view attachment

When I did my conversion, these were tough to find.
Not anymore I believe.

Good luck!
mepstein
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 2 2021, 11:13 PM) *

I would definitely go with this style mount if doing another conversion project.
It is most factory like.
The other ones can get in the way of your wiring harness and just take up too much real estate in that area.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Not anymore I believe.

Good luck!

Who carries the metal top and bottom plates? Thanks
Click to view attachment
raynekat
I'm biased but here's the setup you want for a 914-6 engine mount.
Factory like.

Mine freshly welded in place:

Click to view attachment

After paint:

Click to view attachment

These are all the parts you'll need to round up:

Click to view attachment

Bolted together as a unit:

Click to view attachment

Ready to accept the engine.
You'll see the wiring harness easily goes by this engine mount.
The factory mount was very compact.
Some of the aftermarket mounts take up a lot of real estate in the engine compartment.
Others I've seen put a big kink in the snorkel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Not sure who carries the upper and lower plates that sandwich the rubber factory style mount.
I know they are out there.
Will have to Google and search a bit I think.

When I did my conversion, someone was making these on 914World.
A small run of them.
My timing was good.

Perhaps a good thing for 914Rubber to make?
I know I purchased one of the plates from Europe and it was handmade trash.
Ditched it.
Then someone here made one of the plates which was very nice and I somehow found the other plate.
Also at this time the rubber mount was being manufactured by URO.
930cabman
Thanks for the input all, it looks as though the factory style is the winner and yes, those engineers knew (know) their stuff. Mad Dog recommends using the Wevo mount for a complete installation.

btw, nice looking install ray. Is the engine ready to for installation?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 2 2021, 11:27 PM) *

I'm biased but here's the setup you want for a 914-6 engine mount.
Factory like.

Mine freshly welded in place:

Click to view attachment

After paint:

Click to view attachment

These are all the parts you'll need to round up:

Click to view attachment

Bolted together as a unit:

Click to view attachment

Ready to accept the engine.
You'll see the wiring harness easily goes by this engine mount.
The factory mount was very compact.
Some of the aftermarket mounts take up a lot of real estate in the engine compartment.
Others I've seen put a big kink in the snorkel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Perfect illustration of my point and well executed.
If you have the skill to weld an aftermarket mount in or have someone who can
do it for you, a copy of the original is the best choice. The fabrication is not rocket science.
Make sure to get the right BOLT it's a high strength 10.9
This discussion makes me want to go out and whittle up some copies.
Nice color choice too!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 3 2021, 06:56 AM) *

Thanks for the input all, it looks as though the factory style is the winner and yes, those engineers knew (know) their stuff. Mad Dog recommends using the Wevo mount for a complete installation.

FWIW - Wevo mount doesn't offer much isolation.
930cabman
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 3 2021, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 3 2021, 06:56 AM) *

FWIW - Wevo mount doesn't offer much isolation.

This will be a street machine only. I had some concern with vibration/sound transmission.
Hopefully a compromise is available. Conversions always have tricky details, this forum rocks for information.
mb911
With the WEVO mount on mine there is no vibration.. it works perfect and I built a soft suspension car so I am wanting cushy everything.
aturboman
Mittlemotor in Germany makes the weld in carrier for the stock 914-6 engine mount set-up and the upper and lower plates needed as well. I used their pieces on a recent 914-6 conversion and they are very close to factory and very nicely made.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2021, 08:27 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 2 2021, 11:13 PM) *

It is most factory like.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Not anymore I believe.

Good luck!

Who carries the metal top and bottom plates? Thanks
Click to view attachment

Luke M
Mittelmotor shows the parts but can't seam to find a part # or price for them.
I could use a upper, lower motor mount bracket and the long mounting bolt (7, 8 & 9).
930cabman
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 3 2021, 09:04 AM) *

With the WEVO mount on mine there is no vibration.. it works perfect and I built a soft suspension car so I am wanting cushy everything.

Sold, I will be running with this combination.

Thanks, Ben. What is a good source for an oil filler tube for your oil tank?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.