Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914-6 stock engine mount prices
Jett
post Feb 1 2021, 10:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Our next project is a 914-6 conversion and was wondering what the cost of a stock engine mount is? In addition, we are looking for a stock air box but know very little about the different types. The core motor is a 69 911s 2.0 with Weber’s.

Any education and or pointers would be appreciated.

Darren
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Superhawk996
post Feb 2 2021, 06:54 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Not sure what you mean by stock mount. True 914/6 OEM mounts are super pricey and hard to find.

I went with a MadDog OEM style mount cost is about $350 but I paid a bit less on a Black Friday discount.

The only downside I see to it is that the isolation isn't the OEM mount but one of the rather small Wevo spool mounts. I intend to modify the body side of the mount to use the OEM rubber isolation for better NVH.

My engine side of the mount if out for powder coat along with your tin! Which reminds me I need to follow up on those parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 2 2021, 07:00 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 2 2021, 04:54 AM) *

Not sure what you mean by stock mount. True 914/6 OEM mounts are super pricey and hard to find.

I went with a MadDog OEM style mount cost is about $350 but I paid a bit less on a Black Friday discount.

The only downside I see to it is that the isolation isn't the OEM mount but one of the rather small Wevo spool mounts. I intend to modify the body side of the mount to use the OEM rubber isolation for better NVH.

My engine side of the mount if out for powder coat along with your tin! Which reminds me I need to follow up on those parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

That mount shouldnt need any modification to use the stock isolator. It is also what I recommend to all of my customers. It has the most clearance and keeps things simple.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 2 2021, 07:02 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 1 2021, 08:42 PM) *

Our next project is a 914-6 conversion and was wondering what the cost of a stock engine mount is? In addition, we are looking for a stock air box but know very little about the different types. The core motor is a 69 911s 2.0 with Weber’s.

Darren

Darren,

The stock air filter assembly wouldn't fit properly in my car. I had a steel air box and restored it then it didn't fit.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 2 2021, 07:08 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 2 2021, 08:00 AM) *

That mount shouldnt need any modification to use the stock isolator. It is also what I recommend to all of my customers. It has the most clearance and keeps things simple.

Interesting. The Wevo spool is held by an adapter plate. I had assumed that I'd have to do something to make an OEM 914/6 rubber mount work and just looked into a used part on the F/S forum to use as the template for mod's.

I guess I should just go ahead and order the new 914/6 isolator and see how it fits up.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 2 2021, 07:34 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 2 2021, 05:08 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 2 2021, 08:00 AM) *

Interesting. The Wevo spool is held by an adapter plate. I had assumed that I'd have to do something to make an OEM 914/6 rubber mount work and just looked into a used part on the F/S forum to use as the template for mod's.

I guess I should just go ahead and order the new 914/6 isolator and see how it fits up.

Yes just remove the adapter and your all good
+Quote Post
Jett
post Feb 2 2021, 11:11 AM
Post #7

Thanks for all the information. eBay has an OEM mount for $700, but that sure seems expensive, but maybe aftermarket is best from a cost perspective.

Does anyone have a picture of the correct air box?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 2 2021, 11:16 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 2 2021, 09:11 AM) *

Thanks for all the information. eBay has an OEM mount for $700, but that sure seems expensive, but maybe aftermarket is best from a cost perspective.

Does anyone have a picture of the correct air box?

It would be plastic..

Re the mount see maddog motorsports and buy the oem style setup for $350 ish and never look back.
+Quote Post
Jett
post Feb 2 2021, 11:16 AM
Post #9

Lol no worries and no rush (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 2 2021, 11:18 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

Mad Dog has a very reasonable one. We have his and the German much more expensive one and the quality compares

QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 1 2021, 09:42 PM) *

Darren

+Quote Post
Jett
post Feb 2 2021, 11:39 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 2 2021, 09:18 AM) *

Mad Dog has a very reasonable one. We have his and the German much more expensive one and the quality compares

QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 1 2021, 09:42 PM) *

Darren

Thanks George
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 2 2021, 04:55 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

OR
Fabricate your own version of the original bulkhead mount.
Buy the new copy of the OEM rubber mount
Create a 914 6 'on engine' mount by modifing a 911 part.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 2 2021, 05:06 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

I used the Rich Johnson mount. It's like the factory 914-6 mount, but uses two rubber-isolated mounts instead of one. Seems steadier to me, came finished in black with all hardware and the mounts IIRC, and went in without a hitch. It's been in use with zero issues for about a decade.

Great info on the various bulkhead mounts here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=110919

Factory 914-6 airboxes seem to list for $350-850 depending on condition (and optimism…). Suspect your metal 911S airbox might well offset that cost, as it too is a desirable piece. This board, Pelican Parts, and Early 911S Registry are all good places to check. For some pics of a plastic 914-6 airbox, see below.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=335848

Key differentiator is the snorkel points to the passenger side on a 914-6 airbox, where a 911 snorkel goes the other way. A cut-down snorkel won't matter much, or you can go with the "GT3 Cup" filter holder—which is what I am running—instead. I prefer the acoustics of the factory airbox to rain hats, but YMMV! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 2 2021, 05:19 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

We are gathering parts and pieces for a /6 conversion, looking at this one:

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/product/9...n-engine-mount/

looks simple, price decent
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 2 2021, 05:21 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 2 2021, 03:19 PM) *

Do know that if you use that mount it causes the engine to sit lower i. The chassis by 3/4" and the engine tin does not seal and you will have to do custom shift linkage.. it also pulls the engine forward in the chassis which strains on the trans ears and mounts.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 2 2021, 05:26 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Porsche also sells a stock 914-6 rubber mount. Porsche (914-375-049-01)
Sunset lists it for $200, pelican charges $250
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 2 2021, 05:34 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 2 2021, 06:19 PM) *

Without completely revisiting the topic that has been covered elsewhere. You need to know what you want out of the mount.

Mounts that may work well for racing aren't what you want for street use where minimal NVH is presumably what you want. Minimal NVH comes from mounts with high stiffness and lots of rubber to isolate.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 2 2021, 06:03 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 2 2021, 06:21 PM) *

Do know that if you use that mount it causes the engine to sit lower i. The chassis by 3/4" and the engine tin does not seal and you will have to do custom shift linkage.. it also pulls the engine forward in the chassis which strains on the trans ears and mounts.

Thank you for the heads up Ben. For sure I want the engine tin to seal. Is the Mad Dog a good option? I have tried the search and have not been very successful. Our 914/6 conversion will be a street cruiser only, will never see a track
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 2 2021, 06:09 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 2 2021, 04:03 PM) *

Thank you for the heads up Ben. For sure I want the engine tin to seal. Is the Mad Dog a good option? I have tried the search and have not been very successful.

Yes @mcmark designed it and its the best mount out there
The rich johnson mount and the maddog copy of the Rich Johnson mount are fine but the oem style doesn't block or get in the way of anything. Really the way to go.. I built 4 oem mounts then gave up because there are so many options. I even have a retrofit with corrections done to a Naro mount but I am thinking I may just buy a bunch of mad dogs oem mounts and I will resell to folks looking.

Ps I get no kick backs for being a fan. I have used all the options out there and the oem style is the best.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 2 2021, 06:09 PM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 2 2021, 07:03 PM) *

Thank you for the heads up Ben. For sure I want the engine tin to seal. Is the Mad Dog a good option? I have tried the search and have not been very successful. Our 914/6 conversion will be a street cruiser only, will never see a track

https://maddogsmotorsports.com/shop/ols/pro...ica-motor-mount

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 09:42 AM