Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OEM /6 mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Superhawk996
Update on OEM mount

Got the engine side back from powder coat. Looks great!

Click to view attachment

Yesterday I received the URO mount p/n 914 375 049 00 Appears to be nicely made.

Did a quick trial fit to put URO mount into the body side bracket . . . almost! idea.gif

Click to view attachment

Not a big deal really, but the body side bracket will need a little clearnace work to properly fit the the radius of the URO isolator can.

I want to be really clear - I don't see this as reflecting poorly on the Mad Dog mount or the URO isolator.

When you're doing these sorts of conversions with hand made parts, a little finessing is part of the game. Knowing many will likely use the Wevo mount, it wouldn't even be an issue. The isolator holes line up perfectly though! Great job making allowance for use of the OEM style isolator!

Likewise, there could be minor difference in the URO isolator can vs. the 914/6 mount isolator that Mad Dog built his orignal prototype to. Again, I'm just very glad URO is reproducing the 914/6 mount that was NLA for quite a while.

Mock ups and trial fitting are all part of the game. Just wanted to post my situation and prep others for need to do a little fitting to make it all work.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(maddog @ Feb 23 2021, 10:26 AM) *

so not happy with how the first prototype turned out, I did a couple of changes and just ordered a new set of blanks

@maddog

Really not so bad for a 1st try. Definately usable. Love that you're seeking perfection!

Keep us posted when you get something you're happy with. I call dibs on 1st in line to buy from you!
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 27 2021, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(maddog @ Feb 23 2021, 10:26 AM) *

so not happy with how the first prototype turned out, I did a couple of changes and just ordered a new set of blanks

@maddog

Really not so bad for a 1st try. Definately usable. Love that you're seeking perfection!

Keep us posted when you get something you're happy with. I call dibs on 1st in line to buy from you!

I'll take a set. And if you could supply the bolt, it would be nice. beerchug.gif

I received the uro rubber mount from quickly from the ebay seller. It looks good. The cheapest I could find the sport version was close to $200 so I'll stick with the normal version for now.
930cabman
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 27 2021, 12:12 PM) *

Update on OEM mount

Got the engine side back from powder coat. Looks great!

Click to view attachment

Yesterday I received the URO mount p/n 914 375 049 00 Appears to be nicely made.

Did a quick trial fit to put URO mount into the body side bracket . . . almost! idea.gif

Click to view attachment

Not a big deal really, but the body side bracket will need a little clearnace work to properly fit the the radius of the URO isolator can.

I want to be really clear - I don't see this as reflecting poorly on the Mad Dog mount or the URO isolator.

When you're doing these sorts of conversions with hand made parts, a little finessing is part of the game. Knowing many will likely use the Wevo mount, it wouldn't even be an issue. The isolator holes line up perfectly though! Great job making allowance for use of the OEM style isolator!

Likewise, there could be minor difference in the URO isolator can vs. the 914/6 mount isolator that Mad Dog built his orignal prototype to. Again, I'm just very glad URO is reproducing the 914/6 mount that was NLA for quite a while.

Mock ups and trial fitting are all part of the game. Just wanted to post my situation and prep others for need to do a little fitting to make it all work.

@Hawk , we are in a similar boat, but I have welded the mount to the chassis "assuming" everything would fit! The URO mount arrived the other day and I am seeing the same interference. The answer: Wevo mount, shim the URO mount, grind a portion of the mount, ... I am hoping for a straightforward solution.

Such is the conversion
Superhawk996
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 27 2021, 02:37 PM) *

we are in a similar boat, but I have welded the mount to the chassis "assuming" everything would fit! The URO mount arrived the other day and I am seeing the same interference. The answer: Wevo mount, shim the URO mount, grind a portion of the mount, ... I am hoping for a straightforward solution.

Such is the conversion

@930cabman

Let me play with mine today on bench.

I'm thinking it's just radiusing the body side bracket a smidge. I'd rather get it all on the bracket so that in the future I can use new mounts without rework.

Shimming will raise engine at front, you don't want that.

Wevo is a no-brainer but in my case I absolutely want the 914/6 OEM isolation.

I'll report back by end of weekend

Superhawk996
@930cabman

Oh man, that was beyond simple.

Click to view attachment

All I had to do was radius the corners a bit, took a smidge off the back side, and leveled a weld bead. 36 grit on a 2" disk and it was done in like 15 minutes.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

No modification done to the URO isolator.

Fits perfectly now. piratenanner.gif
930cabman
Hawk, guess I should have tried a test fit prior to welding the chassis portion.

Thanks, I am just about done with the structural work with our project, but still have quite a few different fish we are frying. Floor is coming up, still need to practice overhead plug welding.

Great board with a great bunch of guys/gals
Superhawk996
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 27 2021, 07:48 PM) *

I should have tried a test fit prior to welding the chassis portion.

Floor is coming up, still need to practice overhead plug welding.

@930cabman

You'll be able to tweak the body side bracket it in the chassis without any issue at all.

Probably goes without saying . . . be sure to position your body so that it is not directly under the puddle.

Wear a leather welding jacket.

Be safe!
maddog
Hi guys, Hawk is right about the URO mount interference. I had Luke check his OEM mount fitup and it was the same. Hawk has the best solution for anyone that already has the mount, just get a grinder and put a nice 4-5mm radius on the two edges and the URO mount will drop right in. Dont worry about removing that little bit of material to get the radius because there is a nice fillet weld behind the wall. I did one in my bench vise and it only took minutes like Hawk said.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
for comparison..
Superhawk996
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 28 2021, 02:22 PM) *

for comparison..

Thanks for the pic of the OEM sheetmetal. I initialy investigated trying to find OEM metal but that was a losing proposition both from availability and cost perspective. Nice score!

Yup, that explains it -- softened radius vs. MadDog mount that was a sharp corner that interfered with the URO mount.

A few minutes with the grinding disc and I'm good to go.

mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 28 2021, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 28 2021, 02:22 PM) *

for comparison..

Thanks for the pic of the OEM sheetmetal. I initialy investigated trying to find OEM metal but that was a losing proposition both from availability and cost perspective. Nice score!

Yup, that explains it -- softened radius vs. MadDog mount that was a sharp corner that interfered with the URO mount.

A few minutes with the grinding disc and I'm good to go.

I sold an oem mount for $600 a couple years ago. It went quickly with multiple offers. Probably double now.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=190279&hl=
930cabman
Yep,

Hawk has the fix, I had the chassis portion welded in, never to come out. About 15 minutes with a die grinder. DONE
sixnotfour
Ralph meaney showed me one of his engine consoles that that had a piece steel overlapping the mount ,,,see pic below..
maddog
I plan on opening up that area on my next set of blanks, but I will modify the rest of my current stock for any customer that does not plan on using the WEVO mount.
maddog
UPDATE: got the new blanks formed and tig welded, going to drop these off to get plated today or tomorrow

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
aktion035.gif
maddog
just picked these up from the platers, turned out nice! Should have these up on the website by tonight or tomorrow.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
maddog
here is the top bracket

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
wub.gif
mb911
What will pricing be at? I want to bring in some inventory (complete mounts)
Krieger
Nice work!
maddog
Ben, parts are live on the website now. Upper bracket $80 and the lower bracket is $50, I only have 8 of each available for this first run. Depending on how fast these go, I will do a larger quantity run next.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 18 2021, 04:04 PM) *

What will pricing be at? I want to bring in some inventory (complete mounts)
Luke M
piratenanner.gif

I have some of these new plates on the way to me..
It was great dealing with Dave during the building of these.
We went back and forth for what seamed like weeks (really only a few days) getting these just right.
Great guy, great products, and great customer service. What more can one ask for.
Now buy these up.. aktion035.gif

beerchug.gif
mepstein
I just bought a set.
Dave - Way to respond quickly to your customers requests! smilie_pokal.gif
maddog
Thanks Luke, I couldn't have made these without help from members like you. This is what I love about this forum, there is always someone willing to help or share knowledge.

QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 19 2021, 04:46 AM) *

piratenanner.gif

I have some of these new plates on the way to me..
It was great dealing with Dave during the building of these.
We went back and forth for what seamed like weeks (really only a few days) getting these just right.
Great guy, great products, and great customer service. What more can one ask for.
Now buy these up.. aktion035.gif

beerchug.gif

Luke M
Look what showed up today... piratenanner.gif

All fits well and gonna put it aside for a future project.
Thanks again to David (Maddog) for making these items.

beerchug.gif
mepstein
Luke - thank you for your assist. beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
I'm bulkhead mount heavy at the moment. Originally ordered the MD mount that uses the modified 911 bar. Recently ordered this "original" style mount and really like it. Just ordered the kit with the factory mount and hardware. Pretty excited for this mount as it looks like you don't have to relocate anything.
Superhawk996
agree.gif

There are lot of positive design elements built into the OEM braket and isolator that I don't see in the other aftermarket solutions.

I don't think you'll regret using this design unless you're using very high HP outside of what the factory GT ran.

Big thanks to Maddog for making these as well as the mounting hardware kit. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 11 2021, 09:24 AM) *

I'm bulkhead mount heavy at the moment. Originally ordered the MD mount that uses the modified 911 bar. Recently ordered this "original" style mount and really like it. Just ordered the kit with the factory mount and hardware. Pretty excited for this mount as it looks like you don't have to relocate anything.

Dan,

Good deal glad you went for this style mount
Root_Werks
Thanks Ben, still had to relocate the brake pressure regulator.

Gotta get some new lines.

maddog
!!!Attention!!! anyone who bought the hardware installation kit from me for the OEM replica mount please contact me. The supplied 140mm bolt is TOO SHORT, you will need a 150mm bolt. So please contact me through the world or my website maddogsmotorsports.com

thanks
pencap914
I had a little time this weekend to finally weld this up. Fits like a glove!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Looks great! I do really like this mount, super beefy and installs nicely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.