Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I remove oil without using the drain plug?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drem914
Dumb question here, but is it possible to go in through the oil fill port (on a 4cyl) to vacuum siphon out about a half qt. of oil?
I had over-filled when I did my last oil change. headbang.gif I didn't want to pull out the quick jacks and pull the drain plug unless I had to.
TIA
bdstone914
QUOTE(drem914 @ Mar 9 2021, 11:23 AM) *

Dumb question here, but is it possible to go in through the oil fill port (on a 4cyl) to vacuum siphon out about a half qt. of oil?
I had over-filled when I did my last oil change. headbang.gif I didn't want to pull out the quick jacks and pull the drain plug unless I had to.
TIA

That is a 8mm OD tube so sucking oil tube so sucking oil through it may not be easy.
You could change oil filters and that will take out about 1/2 quart.

@drem914
bdstone914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 9 2021, 11:38 AM) *

TIA

That is a 8mm OD tube so sucking oil tube so sucking oil through it may not be easy.
Or remove the filter, drain it and reinstall as many times as needed to bring down the oil level.

@drem914

drem914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 9 2021, 09:39 AM) *
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 9 2021, 11:38 AM) *
TIA
Or remove the filter, drain it and reinstall as many times as needed to bring down the oil level.
@drem914
Thanks Bruce.
Looks like it goes up on the QJ either way. smash.gif
Rider914
My car does this on its own, just park it on the cleanest driveway you can find. Bonus is that it's also self-lubricating.
Root_Werks
I had a pump that sucked oil out on my boat years back. Dunno if there's a direct path to a low point on a 914 sump/pan though?
ClayPerrine
If you are looking at the dipstick indicator, a half a quart over full in a 914-4 is not a bad thing. It will keep the pump from sucking air on hard turns. We have run 914s that way for years with no issues.

Clay
Krieger
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 9 2021, 11:49 AM) *

If you are looking at the dipstick indicator, a half a quart over full in a 914-4 is not a bad thing. It will keep the pump from sucking air on hard turns. We have run 914s that way for years with no issues.

Clay

agree.gif 100% I have another mark on my dipstick that is the same distance above the top mark as the factory low mark. That is where I measure mine cold. If you still feel the need to to remove oil you can use a Mityvac in the dipstick tube.
r_towle
Gotta say, I don’t have any half filled quarts of oil.
I get close, I pour till the quart is empty
I bit extra on an oil cooled motor is all good
Front yard mechanic
I bought a cheap fluid extractor from harbor freight comes with a thin tube that fits the dipstick just get the oil hot before .it works ok on oil but works well to remove brake fluid
stugray
An extra half quart will not hurt anything.

I intentionally fill mine about that much extra for racing to avoid the oil pump sucking air under hard cornering.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 9 2021, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 9 2021, 11:49 AM) *

Clay

agree.gif 100% I have another mark on my dipstick that is the same distance above the top mark as the factory low mark. That is where I measure mine cold. If you still feel the need to to remove oil you can use a Mityvac in the dipstick tube.

QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 14 2021, 02:31 PM) *

An extra half quart will not hurt anything.

I intentionally fill mine about that much extra for racing to avoid the oil pump sucking air under hard cornering.

WOW! That echo took a LONG time to come back. biggrin.gif
drem914
Well I didn't have to do any of that, just ran the engine real hard over the weekend with a hour long 80+mph run on the freeway as a precursor to a couple hours of mountain driving with lots of curves and then a long freeway drive back. Will have to see where it went since I am not getting any visible drips below.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.