Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st Irish Bumblebee
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
autopro
Just beautiful, congratulations on getting it back on the road after all the hard work you put into it.
team914
Only found this thread now. Really well done, the car looks fantastic. Cant wait to see it.
KELTY360
That's some nice work....well done! Good luck being able to hold off driving it all winter.
wonkipop
sauve

beerchug.gif

love the number plate.

which part of ireland?
ddire333
I'm in Kildare, yes just luck the Irish vintage plates are back with silver numbers, just matches the bumblebee perfect
ddire333
QUOTE(team914 @ Oct 24 2021, 12:41 PM) *

Only found this thread now. Really well done, the car looks fantastic. Cant wait to see it.

Same with yours, looking forward to seeing, maybe do some updates on the build here
Arno914
Beautiful car, great progess!
Are you planning on going to Wales next Year? dry.gif
ddire333
Thanks, was thinking about booking earlier in the year, but wasn't sure if all my efforts would come together into a functioning vehicle in time. see its booked out now, might put down for the waiting list, just one main hurdle left..... my funder says she is "never getting into the deathtrap"

Has been know to change her mind with suitable persuasion
robkammer
QUOTE(ddire333 @ Mar 14 2021, 04:46 PM) *

Going to start this tread by saying thanks to those who helped or gave advice so far and please keep it coming.

About 8 months ago I decided it was time to get a 914, friend had one when i was in high school (80's Ontario) and it was so different to anything else I had driven i have never forgotten it. I'm in Ireland many years now and 914's where never sold here, looked at few in UK but prices where high for not much car, it was a project I was after. Joined 914 world and put a wanted add up, was considering few cars regular members had for sale, but then someone who had just joined made very low key contact, just saying they had a 74 2lt LE they wanted to sell. I thought it it was likely a scam but decided to go along, how wrong I was.

First I got few photos, still skeptical, but slowly as i asked for more detail it was all forthcoming, i was buying sight unseen, but after a few calls with the seller (Tom) all seem good and we did the deal, had the car collected just before Christmas. covid and brexit lead to shipping delays, so the car just arrived this weekend to its new Kildare home. Anyway Tom is a gent and an Ohio petrol head who just needed to thin out projects, he had had the car since the 90's but had been off the road a few years after a stalled restoration.

So the car is an Ohio car all its life, with.... a very solid body. I started stripping today and outside, the rear jack points and thresholds its very very good so far. Hell hole is solid from the top and had good photos of underside from Tom, so hopeful.

Engine needs a full rebuild (its in boxes) as does suspension, fuel, brakes and and a full respray. The interior is original and in great shape. Plan is to have a driver which is as original as possible, like what Ian is doing on youtube, but with a bit less budget.

I will undertake all but the respray myself, I had a garage to work in lined up but unexpectedly lost it, oh well real men work in the drive anyway. I had to laugh when I took the seats out today, I had restored the ones in my 928 last year and it nearly killed me lugging them about, I don't think both the seats and all the carpet in the 914 equaled one 928 seat. It going to be fun having the two ends of the spectrum to drive.

I will put updates on the thread as I go, but for now here is the original window sticker
and a couple of pics.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

You're a brave man, for sure. I'm in Ohio as well and found a BB in Washington State, brought it here in February last year. I'm more of a mechanical guy, not very experienced in body work. The right car for me had the bodywork completed, or so I thought. After a good cleaning I did find some rough spots underneath but nothing I couldn't handle. I've been working through the mechanical bits and although I've found a few surprises there has not been anything to make me regret the purchase.
Best of luck and I'll be watching for your posts!
RobClick to view attachment
ddire333
One year on and the restoration is complete beer3.gif ... well you know complete for now. put the car in storage for the winter, spent that time repairing the seats and rest of the interior bits, was lucky it was all in good shape so mostly cleaning, and lots of new rubber.

Picked up a period radio, and put a compact electric heater inside of the center console, it a very tight fit but just goes. (as I was missing heat exchangers). This is the unit if anyone is wondering, needs an uprated alternator.

https://www.t7design.co.uk/12v-600w-ducted-...76-171-6ab.html

So out of storage at the start of March and got stuck in to installing all the interior back, and today the final touch was the side decals.

So just the post break-in oil change and valve adjustment to do, also want to check & adjust air fuel mix at load as think its a bit rich currently.

Have bits to improve, the sill covers and trim (rivet holes where messed up), missing the spare & tool kit, what more original exhaust, gear knob, new windscreen.....but will take mine time as plan to drive it now.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=829
797]
Shivers
Really nice dude, You deserve to have some fun now.
rgalla9146
What a beautiful car !
Great job, done well.... and quickly too !
Now enjoy it !
Rory
Jett
Great thread!
DBF
Congrats on getting the car back on the road. Enjoy!
CCE
Great looking car! Congratulations. beerchug.gif
Dion
Well it seemed like just yesterday you started taking it apart! Wow that was quick.
Beautiful! Enjoy the drives. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.