Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My latest challenge. Here we go again.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
rmarx
More progress!

When we left off last time, we had a broken rear bearing with the race stuck to the hub.

That was removed using the tapered bearing plates along with the press.

A new bearing was installed along with the rear hub. I mounted the right rear trailing arm to the chassis, installed the new 914/6 rear rotor and installed the original brake caliper.

The pads do not clear the new rotor, so I had to use the adjuster screws to back out the pucks to make room. So far they still don't clear, so for now I just left the pads out to keep things going.

Note: there is a little circlip on the adjuster screw to keep the locking nut from backing out. You must first remove it before you loosen the locking nut. If you don't, it will jam up the screw and make things nmore difficult.

Ask me how I know this...

I moved on the left rear to complete the same process when I realized the new hub I received was mis packaged from the factory. They put in a 911 hub instead of a 914 hub.

The difference is that the 911 hub has 28 splines and the 914 hub has something like 32 splines. Of course when I tried to put in the axle, it would not go in.

I called the company and they were very good about it and sent me a new hub and bearing with the studs pressed in. ( Great customer service).

Once I received the new parts, everything went together just fine.

I then mounted my newly acquired Toyo Proxxes RA1 tires to my 8 & 9" wheels and mounted them on the car.

You ask "Wheres the beef?"

It's right here.

The wheels and tires completely fill up the space created from the flares and it looks great. I'm very happy.
808 WRX
I was just wondering how your project was coming along... Looks good, nice to see the wheels on! beerchug.gif
willieg
Those wheels and tires are impressive. They certainly fill up the space.
grom914
I am doing this same engine swap! I will be following this build. Great job so far!
willieg
That is a great engine for a 914. Subaru did their homework on the exhaust for this engine. Keep us up to date on your wiring progress, specifically what you are using for the ECU, and how the drive-by-wire ties in with the ECU.
rmarx
QUOTE(grom914 @ Jan 28 2023, 05:13 PM) *

I am doing this same engine swap! I will be following this build. Great job so far!

PM me or call @925 708-2698 ©. Let's compare notes...
rmarx
I have basically finished the welding of the flares. I will do a little more grinding before I apply the primer sealer to all four corners of the car.

I received my doors back from my body and paint guy (Mike Hynes). They were in pretty bad shape to begin with but after Mike pretty much straightening and metal finishing them, they are very straight and look great.

I mounted the doors on the car to get an idea of how it will look. It's starting to lok like a car again.
Mayne
Looking great! I’m getting closer on my engine bay repairs, and then in goes EZ30 for the first time.
rick 918-S
Nice thread beerchug.gif
tygaboy
Nice progress! Can't wait to see you get back on that wiring... poke.gif happy11.gif
rmarx
It's been awhile. Much going on in my life, but the dust is finally starting to clear and I finally have some time to get to work on the car.
Much thanks to Chris Baker @tygaboy for help and motivation on getting back to working on the car.
Today he came over and we started to build an exhaust system for the car.
The header is from Outfront Motorsports. The tubing and muffler are from Summit Racing.
We (mostly Chris) spent the day cutting, measuring, grinding and Tig welding one side of the system.
My next job will be to mount the mullers and basically copy the side just completed for the other side of the system.
Mayne
Looks great! It seems like it’s designed without any crossover, which I would think simplifies the fabrication. What mufflers are you using?
76-914
That is a nice header they make. Did you go with SS or steel? Chris, are you sitting down on the job? happy11.gif
rmarx
QUOTE(Mayne @ Jul 9 2023, 06:50 AM) *

Looks great! It seems like it’s designed without any crossover, which I would think simplifies the fabrication. What mufflers are you using?

Just basic 2 1/2 inch turbo style mufflers from Summit.
rmarx
I finshed mounting the left side muffler. I've shown the mounting hardware, clamps and muffler as it looks from the rear.

I just received my axles back from Dutchman Motorsports. They did a nice job. They look great. Next job will be to clean and re-pack the Porsche CVs and install them on the axles along with the new Subaru CVs. I sure hope I got the measurement right and that they fit properly.

With a little luck, the next posting will show them mounted on the car.
tygaboy
Nice! That mount set up looks like it's gonna work just fine. Can't wait to see it in person.
rmarx
Another well spent Saturday with Chris Baker @tygaboy working on my exhaust system.
We, mostly Chris, cut, fit and welded the other side to my exhaust system. I will mount the muffler probably tomorrow. That should compllete the exhaust system except for possibly cera coat or paint, (we shall see).

After finishing the muffler installation, time permitting, I will begin assembling my new axles and test fit them to the car.

Stay tuned...
rmarx
Todays lesson is a lesson in frustration.

There is a saying, "You don't know what you don't know".

I sent out a couple of 914 axles to Dutchman to have them cut and resplined on one end to have them mate up with a Subaru CV joint that would attached to the transmission.

They did an excellent job and I am happy with their work.

I installed the 914 CV on one end and a Subaru CV on the other. I installed it on the car and it fit beautifully.

Then I went on to the other axle and this is where the fun started.

I attemted to install the 914 CV on one end to no avail. I thought, "this is strange".

So I called someone who does this kind of work, told them my problem. They told me that sometimes you have to use a hammer to get them on. I thought "OK", I will try that.

NOT!

Don't do that!

I ruined the CV and buggered up my axle.

I then spent a lot of time cleaning up the axle with a needle file and a dremel, but still no luck.

What I then realized is that I tried to put a 914/6 25 spline CV on a 914/4 axle (31 spline).

I will get the correct CV and all should be well.

Just remember, there is a difference. Check out what you have before it's too late.
76-914
stromberg.gif happens when you get off the beaten path. I didn't post 80% of the headaches I went through for fear of looking like an idiot. Good to see your attitude remains intact. It's the only thing that will carry you through to the end. Well, that and not wanting to tell the wife how much you spent on a project that defeated you. av-943.gif You'll be driving it before you know it and it will all be worth it. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 17 2023, 07:48 AM) *

stromberg.gif happens when you get off the beaten path. I didn't post 80% of the headaches I went through for fear of looking like an idiot. Good to see your attitude remains intact. It's the only thing that will carry you through to the end. Well, that and not wanting to tell the wife how much you spent on a project that defeated you. av-943.gif You'll be driving it before you know it and it will all be worth it. beerchug.gif

agree.gif w/ @76-914 Kent. And never fear looking like an idiot! Ask me how I know...
IMO, if you aren't "failing", you aren't learning.
rmarx
I found the correct 914/4 CV in my parts stash and proceeded to clean it up and re-pack it with grease.

That can be a very frustrating job. While putting it back together, it rotated out of alignment and the large end of the spline piece matched up with the large end of the CV. By the time I got all the ball bearings installed, I realized that it had jammed and would not operate as assembled. After much time to get it apart again, I aligned the parts corrctly and finally got it back together.

I mounted it on the axle and proceeded to mount the CV for the other side which uses a Subaru CV. I got it all together and went to mount it on the car when I realized that the new CV I bought fits the trans, but the inner spline does not fit my axle.

I can't win!

I could not find another Subaru CV locally when I had a thought.

Why don't I take the inner spline from one CV and match it with the outer splined housing from another.

Normally I woudn't mix and match CV parts because of wear, but they are brand new.

It all went together and is now mounted on the car. I will wait to drive it to determine if there are any issues with my remedy.

76-914
It's probably fine. That broach has three bearings and they are new so it should be fine. I think all of us have had trouble with the Porsche CV the first few times around. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
One less thing on the to-do list! Congrats aktion035.gif cheer.gif
rmarx
Happy belated Thganksgiving everyone!

It's been awhile since my last post. A lot has occured in that time,

It's time to announce a change in direction.

I have decided to move in a different direction and scrap the Subaru conversion and convert the car to a Porsche 914/6.

I have obtailned a fairly newly built 2.7 Ltr engine with "S" cams. I will run it with Weber carbs and a header with a sport exhaust.

I have sold all the Subaru conversion parts and have started to collect the parts neccessary to complete the project.

I purchased a Mad Dog engine mount. I am having a little difficulty figuring out how to actually mount it. It does not fit flushly (is that a word?) against the firewall as the thick wiring harness is in the way. It looks like I have to re-rout the harness to fit the mount.

I was wondering what everyone else has done. I'm looking for advise. Thank you in advance.

tygaboy
@mb911 Ben (or any of you who may be able to help!) - can you offer any input on Bob's question about needing to re-route the wiring snorkel when fitting the MadDog /6 engine mount?
mb911
So that mount has to be cut to clear the shift boot attach flange.
willieg
Bob: I know you have a lot of hours into your 914/Subaru build. So, I applaud your decision to scrap that project and do a build you have always wanted to do.
mb911
Here is an image. Hope this helps.Click to view attachment
tygaboy
@mb911 - Thanks Ben! That'll help for sure.
Mayne
Re: change to 911 swap: Cool! And you would if you could! It’s hard to see a 911 engine coming my way, so I’ll keep soldiering on with the E30R.
rmarx
QUOTE(Mayne @ Nov 27 2023, 04:47 AM) *

Re: change to 911 swap: Cool! And you would if you could! It’s hard to see a 911 engine coming my way, so I’ll keep soldiering on with the E30R.

I think you will be happy with it when you are done. It will certainly be more powerful than the 911 arternative...
rmarx
What is it about guys and taking directions.

I was having a phone conversation with Ben Mcfarland @mb911 . I'm telling him that I am going to drill the holes on the chassis for the oil tank filler, vent line and filter console.

He tells me to go SLOW, otherwise the drill will catch and rip out of your hand and probably injure you.

Having done this operation before, I naturally said "yea sure, I know what I'm doing".

Sure enough, I start slowly, but as it is taking longer than I wanted, I of course increase the speed of the drill to get the job done faster when all of a sudden, the hole saw bites and locks up which caused the drill to rip out of my hand and smack the back of my hand crushing it between the drill and the car.
OUCH!
Believe it or not, I start laughing at my self saying "You Idiot, you know better!"

Luckily, just a little blood, nothing permanant.
The holes are now cut and ready for the tank installation.

The moral of the story, BE PATIENT! Take your time.

Nogoodwithusernames
QUOTE(rmarx @ Dec 6 2023, 03:05 PM) *

What is it about guys and taking directions.

I was having a phone conversation with Ben Mcfarland. I'm telling him that I am going to drill the holes on the chassis for the oil tank filler, vent line and filter console.

He tells me to go SLOW, otherwise the drill will catch and rip out of your hand and probably injure you.

Having done this operation before, I naturally said "yea sure, I know what I'm doing".

Sure enough, I start slowly, but as it is taking longer than I wanted, I of course increase the speed of the drill to get the job done faster when all of a sudden, the hole saw bites and locks up which caused the drill to rip out of my hand and smack the back of my hand crushing it between the drill and the car.
OUCH!
Believe it or not, I start laughing at my self saying "You Idiot, you know better!"

Luckily, just a little blood, nothing permanant.
The holes are now cut and ready for the tank installation.

The moral of the story, BE PATIENT! Take your time.

BTDT, was cutting holes in the top plate of a wall to put a mini split AC system in at our old place. Was an exterior wall by the eaves so tight space, hot, dusty etc. Trying to drill through the two 2x4s and get in a hurry and BAM, drill caught me right on the side of the head. Just laid there in the dust and insulation for a minute after that and slowed it down after that.
mb911
Robert,

Man I can totally invision the pain. I did chuckle a little reading this but not because you hurt your self but because I have done it myself
rmarx
Having decided to convert the car from a 4 cyl to 6 cyl 911 engine, I thought the next step would be to make a list of all the parts needed to complete the project.
The following is that list:

Engine - 2.7 Ltr

Transmission - 914 Side shifter

Shifter and shifter rods (2), bushings

Engine mount

Oil Tank, lines and fittings

Half shafts with CV joints

Engine sheet metal (to seal engine compartment)

Weber carbs

Intake manifolds and linkage

engine oil cooler (modified for 914 configuration)

engine wiring harness

alternator (my engine did not come with one)

Distributor, cap and wires

3 pin CDI box

Clutch pedal return spring ( I removed mine during the Subaru conversion)

Many of these parts I have already obtained. I will be posting updates and progress pictures as we go.

I might also post requests for parts I do not have.

Stay tuned

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.