Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 CV joints on 914 axle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
I'm building a new set of these for my car. The old set on my car right now never had the 4mm machined off - it had one CV joint welded on and the other floating - so after reading through SirAndy's thread in the classics section I have a couple of questions.

[url]IPB Image[/url]

Do I use the washer that sits between the axle and the CV joint? (I'm guessing that's what it's for on the 944 axle... )

Is there a correct orientation for the CV joint - i.e. the line on the CV should be on the outside or inside - or doesn't it matter?

And what's the best finish for axles, powdercoating? Any durable homebrew alternatives I can do myself?

John
76-914
Yes. Notice that it is cupped. Concaved side towards CV. Tell me more about machining 4mm off or direct me to where I can read up on it. beerchug.gif
john77
Looks like I was originally reading an older thread, but you asking made me accidentally find the full write up, and it turns out you don’t need the washer and the line needs to be on the outside… so now I know biggrin.gif .

Here you go:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80641

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 13 2021, 06:34 PM) *

Yes. Notice that it is cupped. Concaved side towards CV. Tell me more about machining 4mm off or direct me to where I can read up on it. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(john77 @ May 13 2021, 10:41 PM) *

Looks like I was originally reading an older thread, but you asking made me accidentally find the full write up, and it turns out you don’t need the washer and the line needs to be on the outside… so now I know biggrin.gif .

Here you go:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80641

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 13 2021, 06:34 PM) *

Right you are. I missed the 944 and read only 914. My bad. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.