Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coat or paint muffler?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I have a muffler that needs to be protected before it goes back on a 2 L car, I’ve had a good experience with high temp powder coating manifolds on other cars, King to hear what you all think about doing that for a muffler.

Thanks!
Shivers
https://madisonpowdercoating.com/ceramic-co...0and%20mufflers.

I'm sure you can find someone here that can do this for you.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Shivers @ May 15 2021, 10:25 AM) *

https://madisonpowdercoating.com/ceramic-co...0and%20mufflers.

I'm sure you can find someone here that can do this for you.

Good morning and thanks for the fast response. I have a shop that I use for that, so we’re thinking the same thing.
Olympic 914
Had a local Powdercoat company do mine.

The highest temp powder they had was 800 deg and only in a satin black.

Its holding up good so far but has mellowed out to a charcoal grey color.

it faded evenly though so not a real problem. But something to keep in mind.

Guy I know had the pipes on his Harley done in the same stuff, He didn't like the color change.

Ceramic may be better.
Krieger
Why don't you ceramic coat it? It will last a long time.
euro911
QUOTE(Krieger @ May 15 2021, 10:24 AM) *
Why don't you ceramic coat it? It will last a long time.
Question ... do they, or can they dunk the muffler to coat the inside? ... or just the exterior? unsure.gif

... asking for a friend laugh.gif
Jett
We use ceramic coating, as everyone has mentioned.. it looks good, and lasts a long time.
Triaddave
The powder coat will burn off. Best to ceramic coat
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Jett @ May 15 2021, 01:21 PM) *

We use ceramic coating, as everyone has mentioned.. it looks good, and lasts a long time.

@Jett

That looks fantastic! Sent you a PM

I have used ceramic and recommend it, go with Jett's Look
driving.gif white914.jpg

Maltese Falcon
I use a 1,750° f metallic ceramic coating ,that goes through bead blast and a 2 step oven process. Satin silver seems to be the top customer choice; but satin black and polished silver are also available from our contractor
Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Ceramic Coat

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
barefoot
Ceramic is best if bling if what you're after. However rattle can hi temp paint works very well also

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
After ceramic coating, you will be amazed at how much heat stays in the pipes and does not radiate out from the pipes! Going from coated steel headers to uncoated SSI exchangers was night and day different. First time I got under the car with the exchangers on it I burned the heck out of my hand they were so much hotter.

Zach
Mark Henry
I had the high heat powdercoat on my bug mufflers, IMO it's crap, it didn't last long.
My MSDS /6 headers are real ceramic and the PO and I have 4 seasons on them, except for some stains they look brand new.

Right now I'm trying a local guy, but I can't report anything other than they look good.
914_teener
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ May 17 2021, 07:58 AM) *

After ceramic coating, you will be amazed at how much heat stays in the pipes and does not radiate out from the pipes! Going from coated steel headers to uncoated SSI exchangers was night and day different. First time I got under the car with the exchangers on it I burned the heck out of my hand they were so much hotter.

Zach

After ceramic coating, you will be amazed at how much heat stays in the pipes and does not radiate out from the pipes!

This is a desirable effect of ceramic coating engine exhaust components.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914_teener @ May 17 2021, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ May 17 2021, 07:58 AM) *

Zach

After ceramic coating, you will be amazed at how much heat stays in the pipes and does not radiate out from the pipes!

This is a desirable effect of ceramic coating engine exhaust components.

agree.gif
My MSDS headers I can grab and hang onto them in about 5 minutes after shut down. My tangerine T4 headers also run way cooler than stock HE's.

I have a set of new NOS 2.0 HE's and banana that I just had ceramic coated, I'll take some temps when I get it installed mid summer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.