Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your fire extinguishers and where/how you mounted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
I'm reading too many horror stories online of engine compartment fires on 914s. It's probably time I added a fire extinguisher. I have a '73 2.0 and it has the center console. Thus, not a lot of spots to mount it w/o sacrificing room.

I'm wondering if there's one small enough to fit behind the driver's seat. I'm 6'1" so my seat is all the way back, but I could probably slide it up a notch or two if it meant that I would have an extinguisher handy.

The other thought I had was mounting it in the front trunk. Obviously, not as handy, but only 5 extra seconds away from pulling it out.

Thanks in advance.
john77
Not exactly the best picture, but all I have right now...

See that red thing at the end of the green arrow? That's my fire extinguisher mounted in the middle of the harness bar that runs between my two seatbelt mounting points behind the headrests.

IPB Image

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Jun 3 2021, 02:11 PM) *

I'm reading too many horror stories online of engine compartment fires on 914s. It's probably time I added a fire extinguisher. I have a '73 2.0 and it has the center console. Thus, not a lot of spots to mount it w/o sacrificing room.

I'm wondering if there's one small enough to fit behind the driver's seat. I'm 6'1" so my seat is all the way back, but I could probably slide it up a notch or two if it meant that I would have an extinguisher handy.

The other thought I had was mounting it in the front trunk. Obviously, not as handy, but only 5 extra seconds away from pulling it out.

Thanks in advance.

windforfun
Mine is in the rear trunk. It's in a new very thick winter sock so it doesn't roll around. It sits next to a L.L. Bean bag that holds my jumper cables & flares. There might be a bottle of bourbon in the bag too.

biggrin.gif
oakdalecurtis
Take a look at my Blazecut thread here…

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...295071&st=0
orthobiz
Michael at 914Ltd did this for my 1971 with the fixed passenger seat. Custom bracket, uses original mounting screws. Doesn't interfere with seating.
IPB Image

Paul
orthobiz
Installed:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Needless to say, I love it! Halon...

I still have an Element in the driver door storage also...I just bought the bigger Element 100 that I couldn't find last year, it will replace (or maybe augment) the Element 50. You can throw one in there in the meantime while you're thinking...

Paul
bigkensteele
Click to view attachment

There is a hole already on the top of the cross-member. I made a little L shaped bracket and screwed it into the existing hole and to the plastic mount that came with the extinguisher. About as simple a solution as it gets and right where I need it if I ever need it.
rgalla9146

Both in my GT project.
Make sure it is mounted 'metal to metal' if you intend to participate in any PCA events.
930cabman
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 3 2021, 04:29 PM) *

Mine is in the rear trunk. It's in a new very thick winter sock so it doesn't roll around. It sits next to a L.L. Bean bag that holds my jumper cables & flares. There might be a bottle of bourbon in the bag too.

biggrin.gif

I keep a bottle of Crown Royal on board in the event all else fails.
Big Len
I didn't mount anything. It's on the floor right behind the driver's seat.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 3 2021, 05:59 PM) *

IPB Image

There is a hole already on the top of the cross-member. I made a little L shaped bracket and screwed it into the existing hole and to the plastic mount that came with the extinguisher. About as simple a solution as it gets and right where I need it if I ever need it.

Both Elwood and Igor have fire extinguishers mounted in this location. But I just used some sheet metal screws to mount it. Being short, the front edge of the seat covers it.

It also keeps the carpet from sliding around.

Clay
dt4
I have mine in the front trunk
Click to view attachment
StarBear
5 lb purple k with bracket mounted on a maple board. On passenger side floor (rarely anyone else in it these days. Like the idea of mounting it in front of drivers seat but I’m tall and the unit is big so probably won’t work for me.
flipb
I know this isn't ideal, but I keep a Purple K 5K bottle stored across the front of the passenger seat. I have Sisal Mats (from cocomats) and they are so heavy that it does not move at all in regular driving.

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Mounted in the frunk with recommendations for fire extinguishers from fire fighter @Coondog .

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jcambo7
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jun 4 2021, 02:15 PM) *

Mounted in the frunk with recommendations for fire extinguishers from fire fighter @Coondog .

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

What are the recommended fire extinguishers?
flipb
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Jun 4 2021, 02:28 PM) *

What are the recommended fire extinguishers?

Check this thread. We have a resident firefighter who recommended Purple K.
Lucky9146
As well as this info from my post in 2018

Check out that thread here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=320030

Turns out I needed an education on fire extinguishers. There was a lot of really good information that is coming out of that thread and has changed my thinking completely. Some showed and recommended good places and even impressive on board systems but it was, IMHO, Coondog who provided an experienced perspective worth considering. I will add, not cheap extinguishers, but with what we have into these cars, well worth it.
This is the only BBQ I ever want to see 351.gif

As a public service you should know, and it was mentioned on that thread, that plastic top/nozzle type extinguishers have been recalled and I had heard last week all the way back to 1973. You can get a free replacement. Crazy but true.

driving.gif white914.jpg
mb911
I need to mount mine but I have blazecut and a purple k just to be sure.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jun 3 2021, 06:41 PM) *

I didn't mount anything. It's on the floor right behind the driver's seat.

@Big_Len what unit are you using that will fit nicely back there?
DC_neun_vierzehn
Wow ... glad I asked the question ... and thanks everyone for sharing their setups and links to past threads ... so much valuable info shared. My decision will certainly be fully informed.

Cheers to none of us ever having to use these on our 914s.
CHIZ 914
A place you can access quickly
pvollma
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Jun 3 2021, 05:11 PM) *

Thanks in advance.

Another example of mounting in front of the passenger seat:

Front Seat Mounting
pete000
Here is one I made from some simple tubing and bending for my 914-6. I later had it powder coated black. No drilling needed by using the stock seat mounting points. I also made one for my 74 which has the adjustable seat similarly.

913B
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 5 2021, 06:08 PM) *

Here is one I made from some simple tubing and bending for my 914-6. I later had it powder coated black. No drilling needed by using the stock seat mounting points. I also made one for my 74 which has the adjustable seat similarly.

@pete000
Would you be so kind if you could show more details of the mount?
I need to make one for my 71.

Thank you Sir!
Ansbacher
The beauty of owning a white 914 is that you can get a color coordinated fire extinguisher by buying a marine type. Floor-mounted on the passenger side of the center console for very easy and quick access. Does not really interfere with passengers feet at all.

Ansbacher

Click to view attachment
pete000
QUOTE(913B @ Jun 5 2021, 09:24 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 5 2021, 06:08 PM) *

@pete000
Would you be so kind if you could show more details of the mount?
I need to make one for my 71.

Thank you Sir!

@913B Just took some mild steel tubing and flattened the ends cut them at the correct angle to line up with the holes in the extinguisher bracket. I did make a cardboard mock up to get the angles and depth just right. You could accomplish the same with flat stock metal or alloy, but I found the tubing was nice ant stiff so no movement what so ever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.