Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: nditiz1's mediocre 6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
autopro
Congrats, it's an awesome feeling when you get them to fire up.
nditiz1
Current state of things:

Tuning the engine has become a little bit of a nightmare. The 1,2,3 side puuuuurfect. The 4,5,6 not so much. I have had the Zenith on and off several times. I'm pretty good at it now lol. I have been working with Paul Abbot and Dave Chaney. Cyl 5 is going lean and I (we) can't figure out why. I have thoroughly cleaned all the galleries in the carb. It was time to throw in the towel on that one. I will be sending them to Dave to troubleshoot. In the mean time I picked up another set, funny enough that were fduval's that he bought from DaveO. Anyway, hopefully I can throw on the one side before sending the set out to Dave to see if that resolve my lean issue. When I traded for this engine is was said to be in excellent running condition. Not, sure if this lean issue was there before and never noticed OR something with the cleaning up process made it that way. Regardless, it needs to be corrected. I did however get to finally pull it back out of the garage. The last time was right before Okteenerfest last year. This different engine is also plagued with some oil leaks. These ones are minor. The 1,2,3 side dry. The 4,5,6 was wet. I just got some turbo valve covers today. Slightly milled the are that needed it and test fit. That should solve that, OH and removing a blue shop paper towel from the oil return. Oops! Luckily I checked that lower cover when I did. PO was grateful I found it. Just waiting for a gasket to arrive since the towel squeezed it and the gasket together deforming the gasket slightly. This explains the leak on that side.

I got the rear bumper fully in place and just need to reinstall the parking lights. The front bumper is also now fully attached. I needed to cut out some of the grill boxes as the QRS fiberglass bumper leaves an outline. If I didn't have fogs it probably would have taken a custom grill cover and be fine. I did have to shave the top of the 914rubber grill as it would not fit flush in the QRS fog light opening. This must be a QRS quality control issue as the opening should have been able to accommodate. No biggie and it looks fine. Not like the front end of my car is pristine with some accident decades ago.

Still need to throw a piece of sheet metal up front to cover the gaping hole left by the AC removal.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

sixnotfour
when running check exhaust temps on ex, at head,,,,cam timing on right side 180 out..??
nditiz1
It idles perfect and starts up easy.

I posted a vid of what happens around ~3600 RPM

https://youtu.be/1bsRBIivlUA

nditiz1
Take that leak, in fairness the old cover was most likely compromised due to the blue shop towel being pinched as well as just sitting in there. Thanks World for having pics of what to notch on the cover to get it to fit engine in situ.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Root_Werks
Watched the video, sounds good!
mb911
Looks great.
nditiz1
So I got the carbs from fduval who bought them from DaveO. Looked them over, sprayed some cleaner through the passages, ported idle jets, squirters, vents over from the existing Zeniths. Didn't touch anything but the air bypass to make sure they were fully closed. Started up the car and...same issue. Cyl 5 is low on the STE and fluctuating alot. Popping at 3600 not there, but that could be mixture screw adjustment, possibly even the squirter adjustment. Anyway, I took it for a drive and seemed like it might have been a little better or it was just in my head. Still popping, still huge backfire out the exhaust on decel. Ok I need to pull this intake off and have a look at the gasket/spacer/gasket setup. I trust the guy I traded the engine with, but after seeing the towel closed in with the valve cover I was not sure what else might have been overlooked.

Well it just so happens that the cyl 5 was missing an extra gasket OR that 4 and 6 had an additional. Regardless, this had to be the problem.

IPB Image

I was elated. I scraped off the other 2 and took it to some glass and 150 grit sand paper. I was able to shave some off cyl 4 and 6 which will also help seal. Got it back on the car and swapped items back to the original carb since that seems like it had no issues. Started it up and cheer.gif she was running again with better numbers. I needed to open the air bypass just a minor amount if any to bring it up to cyl 4. I could tell almost immediately when I closed the air bypass all the way how the engine smoothed out. I was also able to remove the idle jet and it actually drop the RPM's down as it should. It was revving smoothly with no pops. The next test would be the butt dyno. Took her out and she was running good. No pops, no hesitation, no loud gunshot out the back on decel.

IPB Image

Here is a little vid I took

https://youtu.be/IjuVb0h1n0Q

She still needs some rear suspension addressing. The driver bushings are shot. 2 clicks up on the shock did not seem to raise the rear enough. I think I have a reverse rake. The brakes need a double pump to activate, air in the lines somewhere. I even used the motive bleeder. Front valence needs to be acquired. I have a narrow one, but need a wide one. For now though at least she runs and drives reliably? driving.gif
Cairo94507
Congratulations on finding and fixing that issue; glad she is running good now. beerchug.gif
nditiz1
Haven't updated this thread in awhile. I'm not even sure I posted some of the updates like a new windshield and trim and swapping zeniths for PMOs. Anyway, those things happened and new sun visors. Also, she's on the chopping block...for sale (shamless plug). I made a thread in the for sale with some recent pics and a cold start vid. This nightmare dream can be yours beerchug.gif
BeatNavy
GLWS Nick!

You staying in the teener game?
jaredmcginness
Good luck Nick! The car looks awesome - especially the seats smile.gif
nditiz1
Thanks guys.

Rob I will still be around, but the next adventure will be an early 911. I left once and came back, I'm sure I'll do it again.

Glad you found them Jared, they do look sweet.
nditiz1
Car is now on pcarmarket, low reserve, happy bidding

pcarmarket.com

One last driving vid
let it rip
campbellcj
Looks like a really fun car for someone to snag! GLWA!
nditiz1
Thanks! If my low reserve is not met, I think i will part it out. Ill get a running 4 cyl and remove all the 6 stuff.

@tdskip - thanks for the kind words in the comments of the auction
Tdskip
You are most welcome, only fair since you’ve been a great member of the community here and over at pelican.

I hope it finds a home intact.
mb911
How can this thing not be sold already? Has the market softened that much? This is a solid buy for someone wanting a 914-6 conversion with quality parts and such a value
JmuRiz
I 100% agree, if my bro wasn’t in the midst of installing a PMB 2.3i, he’d have been all over it.
Steve
I have not heard of PCAMarket. Bring a trailer, brings in stupid money for 914’s.
nditiz1
If the pcarmarket auction doesn't work out, bring a trailer did get back to me for a reserve right around where I feel comfortable letting it go for.
nditiz1
Reserve was met on the auction today. Car is headed to a collector in CA.

Closing the chapter on this venture, but not on being a part of this great group. beerchug.gif
BeatNavy
Congratulations Nick beer.gif
saigon71
Congrats Nick! first.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.