Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: nditiz1's mediocre 6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
nditiz1
Come on @Luke M why do you have to point these things out, lol. Ok let me check factorial pics for the correct mounting. I only put it back in the way it came out rolleyes.gif
jaredmcginness
Looks amazing! Great progress. I had my trans hardware upside down for about 8 months and had no idea... you aren't alone.
Optimusglen
nice work!!
Dion
Fast work Nick! Getting there.
Trans mounts should be this way…..
nditiz1
Thanks for the support guys

Axles reconnected
Clutch cable installed (need to adjust)
Speedo cable installed
Bracket made to offset linkage more than PMS - installed
Oil lines made and routed/installed

Onto the wiring
FourBlades

Nice work, that is a sick engine!

It is going to sound awesome with those ITBs... smilie_pokal.gif

Good luck getting it all sorted out.

John
IronHillRestorations
Go Nick! Go Nick! Go Nick!! piratenanner.gif

Looks like some midnight oil will be burned.

Did you get the calipers?
nditiz1
Thanks Perry I did. They are on, bled, and adjusted.

If I can get it all wired up tonight I'm in great shape.
nditiz1
Engine is installed.

Wiring is complete.

Lost all the gears - fixed that with Dr Evils post.

Clutch adjusted.

Rear wheels back on.

VW VDO fuel gauge installed.

Need to install at least 1 seat.

She's finally a runner in the car.

Almost ready for its first voyage under a different power plant since last year. Need to tune under load and take it on a 3 hr trip to ensure no bugs.

Got 3 days left...
BENBRO02
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 19 2021, 07:27 PM) *

Engine is installed.

Wiring is complete.

Lost all the gears - fixed that with Dr Evils post.

Clutch adjusted.

Rear wheels back on.

VW VDO fuel gauge installed.

Need to install at least 1 seat.

She's finally a runner in the car.

Almost ready for its first voyage under a different power plant since last year. Need to tune under load and take it on a 3 hr trip to ensure no bugs.

Got 3 days left...

Are you driving it to Okteenerfest?
Optimusglen
Cutting it close my man!
nditiz1
@BENBRO02 - that is the plan. If it makes it there that's a different story. My wife keeps telling me to trailer it down, but what's the fun in that sunglasses.gif

@OptimusGlen - I know right. I wish I had one more week to tune it better.

EDIT - Driver seat is in, readjuster shifter as I realized I still didn't have all my gears. Replaced driver blinker with a non-corroded one, works 1,000x better, Rear wheels torqued to spec. Ready for flight.
Tdskip
Thanks for the updates - please keep us posted!

Question - assume you install the oil tank without any fittings, fasten it in place and then the oil console and filler neck etc go on, yes?
DRPHIL914
@nditiz1
looking good sure hope we see you there, i was in the same situation this weekend, just did my start up and break in run on Saturday !! there are going to be a couple cars there this week with pretty fresh motor installs. i have not yet dialed in my tune yet, idle is high but temps are good , i also am hoping to drive there, see you thursday!!

BENBRO02
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 20 2021, 01:41 AM) *

@BENBRO02 - that is the plan. If it makes it there that's a different story. My wife keeps telling me to trailer it down, but what's the fun in that sunglasses.gif

@OptimusGlen - I know right. I wish I had one more week to tune it better.

EDIT - Driver seat is in, readjuster shifter as I realized I still didn't have all my gears. Replaced driver blinker with a non-corroded one, works 1,000x better, Rear wheels torqued to spec. Ready for flight.

You are adventurous! Godspeed, see you there.
IronHillRestorations
If you can get it there, you’ll find plenty of help
ClayPerrine
This sounds like me in 2019.

I got my 914-6 4.0L running the day before I put it on the trailer to go to Okteenerfest.

Good luck.. and I will see you there!

Clay
nditiz1
First drive in a little less than a year
Under new power

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
beerchug.gif
mb911
Wow that was actually pretty fast. Good for you. Impressions?
seanpaulmc
Way to go! piratenanner.gif

Dion
Congrats! beerchug.gif
Tdskip
How did it drive?!?
nditiz1
She drove decent, but could be better.

She sounds good. More tuning needs to be done. I'm going lean as I accelerate. A few more runs with the fuel table will hopefully clear that out. My brakes are sad. I have to double pump it to get a firm pedal. I did not touch the fronts as the reservoir never let air in. I believe they are 911 brakes up front. I'm pretty sure I have the rears (NOS) dialed in, but maybe they need more bleeding. They were adjusted to PMB spec.

I'm now debating the trailer idea. While it would be sweet to cruise down in it, I'd rather make it down to the event then break down. It's about 9 hrs. I'm stopping in Hendersonville on the way down Thursday. If I can get a good trip around here under the belt maybe I will drive the teener from there. Wish it was sorted as much as my 77 Targa. I could jump in that tomorrow without a tool kit and get to CA with no problems.
jaredmcginness
Great to see it out of the garage and in wild - that's some record time.

The seats work well with the silver!
Tdskip
Dropping some money to de-stress the experience is a good idea. You’ve made huge progress, why not enjoy it.

This will get to the same level as the Targa, just don’t force it.

Very excited to see what you have accomplished.
nditiz1
Felt a little defeated today. Can't seem to get the hesitation to go away after several fuel table updates. So there's that and I may need a front cooler after all. Temps were getting to 220 after about a 20 minute drive with ambient temps around 80. In my 77 targa with an 82 sc engine I can get on it hard and eventually it might get to 210. Has a trombone oil cooler.

Insult to injury I may have even more oil leaks now. The PO must have not followed Wayne's book very well. I see curil T at the seam and the case was refreshed by Ollie's, but it's leaking at the seam. I think the lower valve covers too which were glass plate sanded for trusses and are the later style covers. I'm going to pull off the rubber gasket and but the paper one on and see what that does.

Lastly went through and bled the brakes again. They might have gotten a little better but not what I would expect from NOS calipers and pads and 911 brakes up front.

Hopeful for a better report tomorrow
nditiz1
As a pick me up, I decided to install Camp 914's rear trunk strut kit. This is a lot better than the PVC pipe I was using. Also installed new 914Rubber rear trunk seal both center and outer. Lastly, installed some decent shape targa top holders as mine were broken off.

Next on the checklist is getting the passenger seat back together (which is actually the driver)

Try to address some, not all, of the leaks.

Clean up and get the car ready for the trailer

IPB Image
nditiz1
double post
nditiz1
More things to raise the spirit regarding how much oil is escaping while running.

Passenger (driver) seat is back in.

GT engine handle installed.

Items left:

Install engine lid. Wanted to convert it to a GT one, but ran out of time.

IPB Image

IPB Image
mb911
Just saw your oil leak video. Thinking a cam seal or rocker shaft on the one side then the other looks like the case thru bolt. That is an ugly proposition.. hope that's not the case.. I know mine has few leaks..
nditiz1
What goes in must come out, now I can fix those trans mounts biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Root_Werks
Oil leaks suck, I feel your pain.
nditiz1
So I think I found the culprit (fingers crossed) on the 4/5/6 side. A new gasket with locktite 574 and a recheck of the cam timing will hopefully seal that up.

Also, I wasn't thrilled about the run out on the rear rotors. I had them turned and they went out of spec so new Sebro's it is.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
nditiz1
So I think I found the culprit (fingers crossed) on the 4/5/6 side. A new gasket with locktite 574 and a recheck of the cam timing will hopefully seal that up.

Also, I wasn't thrilled about the run out on the rear rotors. I had them turned and they went out of spec so new Sebro's it is.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
ClayPerrine
Why did you use a coarse wood screw to pull the cam pin? You probably messed up the threads in it.

Just take the cap off a spark plug and use that. It is the exact same threads.

Clay

nditiz1
Only you would spot that Clay Hahahaha. I did have one and I mistakenly threw it out while cleaning. I had another spark plug, but the cap was glued or pressed on. I gently threaded it in only so far. It came out with no force all threads still in tact.
nditiz1
I'm slowly working on the 2.7 to address oil leaks. I decided to do the right thing and buy a different engine biggrin.gif

This one needs two exhaust studs fixes and I'll perform a health check. Then it's onto some RHD ITBs from X-faktory.

Click to view attachment
nditiz1
Haven't updated this thread for awhile

Updates:

In talks of picking up some Zenith Carbs to simplify testing the 2.7 for leaks I ended up trading down? er sideways? I don't which way, but at least towards a drivable 914 again. So the ITB twin plug 2.7 is turning into a 73 2.4 carb'd engine. Leak down numbers were almost perfect. With it I needed to move away from FI setup.

So here is the new Fuel Pump almost fully installed.

IPB Image

Also got my GT lid finished, not perfect, but looks presentable.

IPB Image

IPB Image

New front bumper mounting as well. I didn't realize how much fiberglass sucks. I thought when I ripped off the weird shelf screwed to the front for the other fiberglass bumper it was because they didn't know what they were doing. Now, I see it was there to prevent the dip down in the center. Once I get something back in place it should look right. Also, mounted some fresh horns - but wiring is now preventing them from workie.

IPB Image
Superhawk996
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Apr 20 2022, 03:37 PM) *

So here is the new Fuel Pump almost fully installed.

IPB Image

Nice progress. What is the black big canister before the fuel pump? a Pre-filter?

You seem to be collecting more engines than me biggrin.gif

Shivers
I love the short stroke engines, The 2.4, if I can pull it off will be the engine I run. Very cool build
mskala
QUOTE(Shivers @ Apr 21 2022, 10:32 AM) *

I love the short stroke engines, The 2.4, if I can pull it off will be the engine I run. Very cool build

2.4 (standard) is not a short stroke. The 2.0 and 2.2 are short stroke. Bigger cylinders
can be run on the 2.2 to get a short-stroke 2.5. Also, what I run is AA 86mm for a 2.3L
size.
nditiz1
Here is the 2.4 that will ship to me tomorrow.

Phil - I traded the one I started this thread with. Also sold the 1.8, that gets picked up Sunday. That black cyl is a 100 micron fuel filter. I picked it up as a reusable filter and the cb performance pump came with a mini pre filter so I decided to keep it. This should ensure the zeniths stay clear.

Click to view attachment
nditiz1
I got the new fuel system plumbed and ready. Ran a fused wire off number 8 fuse, ya know, for extra fuseage. Got rid of that horrid AC box. Which leaves me with a gapping hole that will receive a sheet of aluminum (temporarily). Also got my horns working so that's a good thing. Engine could be here tomorrow.

IPB Image
nditiz1
Engine is in!

First start video. Running good. Just need to hook all the cables back up, reattach shift rod, adjust clutch and throttle, reattach and torque axles, little tidying up and she should be good for her maiden voyage. Got to this point last year prior to Okteenerfest only to be stunted by some major oil leaks.

2.4 first start

IPB Image

IPB Image
Root_Werks
Sounds pretty good! That much closer to driving!

driving.gif
Cairo94507
Wow, she starts right up. You will have her back on the road in no time. Congratulations. beerchug.gif
jaredmcginness
Looks great Nick,

Let me know if you want me to patch up/replace that front trunk pan this summer or when driving season is over. RD makes a nice replacement piece.
BillJ
Awesome! Looking forward to first drive i bet
Dion
Way to go Nick! A good feeling for sure. Happy for ya.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.