Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: April Texas Hill Country Tour.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ClayPerrine
All,
There seem to be lots of events out west, and on the east coast. But nothing here in the Texas area. So I am thinking about a Texas hill country drive the weekend of April 22, 2022. It would be like the Talimena tours in the past. No awards, no banquet, no nothing. Just show up Friday night, go for a drive on Saturday, cookout in the hotel parking lot on Saturday night (if they let us), and go home on Sunday.

Here is the potential route:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The route is about 4 1/2 hours and incorporates the Twisted Sisters roads. They are not Tail of the Dragon, but they are twisties. Tenative lunch stop at the Bent Rim Grill. This is a motorcycle/car club friendly restaurant outside Leaky, TX.

Let me know if you are interested in showing up. And if your 914 is on jack stands, show up anyway. Bring anything from a Motorcycle, a Miata, or your tow vehicle/daily driver. We will probably have a 914 BS session in the parking lot that night, so bring pictures and questions for discussion.

Hope a lot of you are interested. I think it will be fun!

Clay
76-914
Damn Clay, you have my attention and I'm 1200 miles away. idea.gif Plus, I could visit family and grandkids whilst there. The Texas Hill Country is packed with great roads and now some wineries. The Kerrville cops run a tight ship so security will be good. And the food.............I think I'm talking myself into this one. beerchug.gif
Cornerlot
I'd be interested Clay. Not sure if it would be with the 914-6, 911, or Boxster.
scottthephotog
That sounds like a great route. Katie and I would definitely be up for something like that. We can't do the weekend of April 15th though. That's Easter weekend and we'll be busy with multiple rehearsals and services. The weekend after (or 2) would be great though!
ClayPerrine
This is 6 months away. So everything is subject to change and discussion. I didn't realize that was Easter weekend, so it could be done on a different date.

Clay
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 7 2021, 08:39 AM) *

All,
There seem to be lots of events out west, and on the east coast. But nothing here in the Texas area. So I am thinking about a Texas hill country drive the weekend of April 15, 2022. It would be like the Talimena tours in the past. No awards, no banquet, no nothing. Just show up Friday night, go for a drive on Saturday, cookout in the hotel parking lot on Saturday night (if they let us), and go home on Sunday.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The route is about 4 1/2 hours and incorporates the Twisted Sisters roads. They are not Tail of the Dragon, but they are twisties. Tenative lunch stop at the Bent Rim Grill. This is a motorcycle/car club friendly restaurant outside Leaky, TX.

Let me know if you are interested in showing up. And if your 914 is on jack stands, show up anyway. Bring anything from a Motorcycle, a Miata, or your tow vehicle/daily driver. We will probably have a 914 BS session in the parking lot that night, so bring pictures and questions for discussion.

Clay

Clay, I am sure mine will still be on jack stands or a rotisserie, but I would love to participate, Hope this will come to fruition

Kevin
Literati914
Sounds good… hopefully my current project will be ready - maybe I’ll use the trip as a target. But I’d probably make it either way.

bretth
The scenery in that area is amazing. Wish I had a proper car ready worthy of the drive.
aharder
Great Plan Clay !! It's got my attention so I would be thrilled to join this ride.
I was Bummed that I didn't get to make it to the Dragon trip.
We have alot of members in Texas !!
76-914
Hopefully the Wildflowers will be in bloom then. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
RRietman
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 7 2021, 08:39 AM) *

All,
There seem to be lots of events out west, and on the east coast. But nothing here in the Texas area. So I am thinking about a Texas hill country drive the weekend of April 15, 2022. It would be like the Talimena tours in the past. No awards, no banquet, no nothing. Just show up Friday night, go for a drive on Saturday, cookout in the hotel parking lot on Saturday night (if they let us), and go home on Sunday.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Clay

Clay I am in. my 74 1.8 is at our house in tyler now so I would like to hook up with some locals. any weekend next spring works for me
randy
Front yard mechanic
Camp wood to twisted sisters nw corner looks like a dirt road ? What state or county Rd is that stretch?
bzettner
piratenanner.gif That will be a fun drive! I possibly can make it depending on work and Spring XC Texas series races. I spend many hours driving the Hill Country in my mighty 1.7 as well as my 986.

Click to view attachment

All roads are paved, IIRC they were applying "chip seal" last Spring on a few of those roads.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Oct 8 2021, 10:18 PM) *

Camp wood to twisted sisters nw corner looks like a dirt road ? What state or county Rd is that stretch?

It is paved and called Ranch road 335.

Clay
Front yard mechanic
I like it chowtime.gif
bandjoey
WHAT? No Luckenbach?
914Sixer
Lukenbach is 45 min away from Kerville. Just head down FM 16 toward Fredericksburg and make a right on HWY 290
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 9 2021, 10:55 PM) *

WHAT? No Luckenbach?
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 10 2021, 07:18 AM) *

Lukenbach is 45 min away from Kerville. Just head down FM 16 toward Fredericksburg and make a right on HWY 290

I have been to Lukenbach. I was not impressed. If it weren't for that song, it would have faded away by now.

There is no "official" route or anything like that. So you are welcome to go visit Lukenbach on your own.

Clay
RARE 6

I have been to Lukenbach. I was not impressed. If it weren't for that song, it would have faded away by now.

There is no "official" route or anything like that. So you are welcome to go visit Lukenbach on your own.

Clay
[/quote]

May the ghosts of Jerry Jeff and Willie and Waylon and the boys haunt you.
Might be a good excuse to visit my sister-in-law in Boerne come April and take this weekend drive in. Bring the -6 would depend on weather between W. Colorado and Tejas.
Jim C
Drive those roads often, but appreciate another excuse to do so. I'd be interested.
ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif
stinkindiesel
I'd definitely like to be there, though the 914 will probably still be on jack stands. I'll find something to drive.

Gary
Morrie
Have any of you attended the Hill Country Rallye (www.hillcountryrallye.org)? Based in Kerrville, happens around this time, and welcomes teeners. March 10-13 2022..... its our 20th anniversary event. If you are looking for a small, intimate event this may not be it. there will be 200-300 air cooled classic Porsche cars from 49-89.
dlindzey
i live nearby and need to drive my car a bit to be sure it is road worthy so keep us posted as to date,time and place as you fine tune the plan.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Morrie @ Oct 17 2021, 12:14 PM) *

Have any of you attended the Hill Country Rallye (www.hillcountryrallye.org)? Based in Kerrville, happens around this time, and welcomes teeners. March 10-13 2022..... its our 20th anniversary event. If you are looking for a small, intimate event this may not be it. there will be 200-300 air cooled classic Porsche cars from 49-89.

I have heard about the Hill country rallye. I am looking for a drive in April, not March.

Clay
worn
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 7 2021, 03:46 PM) *

This is 6 months away. So everything is subject to change and discussion. I didn't realize that was Easter weekend, so it could be done on a different date.

Clay

Just caught this. I had fun trying (in vain) to keep up with you in June. Lots of fun, and though I have been to Texas, I know almost nothing about it. The big uncertainty for me would be the possibility of a blizzard sweeping through up here. Probably won’t happen though, and a southward escape would sound fun. Can you get bar b que anywhere around there?
Warren
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(worn @ Oct 19 2021, 05:07 PM) *

Can you get bar b que anywhere around there?
Warren

This is TEXAS! You can't walk around here without tripping over 3 or 4 barbecue joints. So if you want some, we can find it.

Edit: Quick google search for Barbecue joints in Kerrville show 6 within a couple of miles.

Clay
ClayPerrine
OK.. So we are planning for April 22-24th, 2022.

Routes as described.

Jim C
On the calendar!
ClayPerrine
Bumping to the top so people can find it.

Clay
don-6
I'm interested.
ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif

Trying to attract more attention.

Clay
bandjoey
I'm afraid to let the car know about this. Within the year to Savannah GA and back, New Orleans and back. Several trips to Oklahoma, Waco, Austin, etc. Never a hiccup.

But every time I post to an event it's - a total electrical failure - Carb Fire almost burning up the car - Massive oil leaks - etc. etc. So to be safe I'm not saying when or where I'll be going so the car will be ok with it. (Probably will be there) smile.gif

You might put up a sign at Zim's and Mayo's.
ClayPerrine
Ok.. I just reserved a room at the Lone Star Inn, Kerrville.

https://lonestarinnkerrville.com/

No charge to the card until check in. And you can cancel 24 hours in advance.

Clay
ClayPerrine
Route update:

I have been informed that Texas 16 from Leakey Texas back to Kerrville is uphill and not fun in a 914. But going from Kerrville to Leaky is a lot of downhill fun.

So I revised the route, and added the starting/destination point at the hotel and the lunch stop at the Bent Rim Grill. The new route is a drunken figure 8 with about a mile of duplicate road in Leakey. Almost identical, but the roads out of Kerrville and back into Kerrville have been switched.

Click to view attachment

And the route steps.

Click to view attachment

Here is a link to the map for you to explore.

Route map on Google Maps

I am really looking forward to this!

Clay

ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif
Shivers
That stretch looks like my last ECG test. Too fun. You all have a blast.

Click to view attachment
aharder
Reservations made @ the Hampton biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
Bumping again so people see it.

Come drive with us!

driving.gif driving-girl.gif
ClayPerrine
Giving this a Christmastime bump.

icon_bump.gif
ClayPerrine
Going to bump this back up so everyone can plan to be there.

driving-girl.gif driving.gif

beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif
ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif
Puebloswatcop
Is anyone planning on attending this run that has an empty passenger seat that would be willing to take a shotgun rider? Would love to attend the rally, but hate to think of driving my GMC Envoy in a Porsche run and my 914 is still on the rotisserie.....

ClayPerrine
We aren't sure if we are bringing 1 or 2 914s. If we bring both of them, we will have a couple of empty seats.

Clay
ned911
The 914 might still be in resto mode. OK to bring the early 911?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ned911 @ Feb 24 2022, 01:35 PM) *

The 914 might still be in resto mode. OK to bring the early 911?

Sure. As I said in the initial thread. Bring anything. Remember what @Rusty said "I can't be an elitist, I drive a 914".

Clay
Puebloswatcop
Thanks Clay,

Keep me posted

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 24 2022, 11:27 AM) *

We aren't sure if we are bringing 1 or 2 914s. If we bring both of them, we will have a couple of empty seats.

Clay

friethmiller
Clay, those dates work for me! I'm in, if you'll have me. My '74 914 just came out of a full 4 years restoration (by me). Need to get it out and finish breaking in this engine. Do we DM you to register?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Mar 1 2022, 02:57 PM) *

Clay, those dates work for me! I'm in, if you'll have me. My '74 914 just came out of a full 4 years restoration (by me). Need to get it out and finish breaking in this engine. Do we DM you to register?

This is a non-event event. No registration required. You just show up.

Drive departs my hotel at 9:14 am on Saturday.

ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.